What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone else thinking Lesean McCoy may have a MONSTER year? (1 Viewer)

LOVE McCoy this year. And whichever of Brown / Polk end up as the RB2 in Philly can also be a good RB3 / flex IMO (12+ teamers).
If the Eagles average around 80 plays per game (possible) and Kelly is able to run a balanced offense or even a bit run heavy, they'll be running the ball 40+ times per game. McCoy probably won't average more than 20 carries or so a game. So yeah, there should be at least 20 carries a game to distribute among Vick/Brown/Polk. And if any of the 3 RBs (or Vick) gets hurt, that number increases.McCoy should be top 5 pick and after him, Brown and Polk could both be worth a roster stash. Kelly's gonna run the ball. A lot.
You obviously do not recognize that the Eagles D is God awful. Which means the D will be on the field a lot giving up long drives. That also means the Eagles will be playing from behind a LOT, meaning running is not going to be the preferred option to win games.
Does that really hurt a pass catching back like McCoy, who can be used on short passes during catch up mode? I don't know if Brown or Polk are good pass catchers or not.

LOVE McCoy this year. And whichever of Brown / Polk end up as the RB2 in Philly can also be a good RB3 / flex IMO (12+ teamers).
If the Eagles average around 80 plays per game (possible) and Kelly is able to run a balanced offense or even a bit run heavy, they'll be running the ball 40+ times per game. McCoy probably won't average more than 20 carries or so a game. So yeah, there should be at least 20 carries a game to distribute among Vick/Brown/Polk. And if any of the 3 RBs (or Vick) gets hurt, that number increases.McCoy should be top 5 pick and after him, Brown and Polk could both be worth a roster stash. Kelly's gonna run the ball. A lot.
You obviously do not recognize that the Eagles D is God awful. Which means the D will be on the field a lot giving up long drives. That also means the Eagles will be playing from behind a LOT, meaning running is not going to be the preferred option to win games. Add to that the fact that the Eagles do not have great weapons (having lost Maclin and Desean is a one trick pony, not someone that can help move chains and get the tough yards for first downs) and they have a QB starting that is known to turn the ball over and suddenly you will realize that 80 plays is s pipe dream.
They were pretty bad last year too and averaged (I read) 64 plays/game without running a high tempo offense. I say its possible they average 80.
80 plays/game is nonsensical.

Reid was pass-happy. Incomplete passes and passes out of bounds stop the clock. You're adding a higher run-mix... running plays keep the clock moving. The Patriots averaged around 75/game with a killer o-line, superb QB, and solid RB in Ridley.

Where does anyone get 80? You're just pulling numbers out of the air with no justification.

McCoy is a beast, but let's be realistic here. The Eagles are likely to be trailing, Vick is a turnover machine, and they have Celek/DeSean as the only solid receiving options. McCoy has less upside to me than Richardson, Foster, Rice, Charles, or Spiller. Though, Spiller is close... his team situation isn't much better (and could be worse), but I think he's a more explosive player and has a better o-line.

Last edited by a moderator:
You obviously do not recognize that the Eagles D is God awful. Which means the D will be on the field a lot giving up long drives. That also means the Eagles will be playing from behind a LOT, meaning running is not going to be the preferred option to win games. Add to that the fact that the Eagles do not have great weapons (having lost Maclin and Desean is a one trick pony, not someone that can help move chains and get the tough yards for first downs) and they have a QB starting that is known to turn the ball over and suddenly you will realize that 80 plays is s pipe dream.
They were pretty bad last year too and averaged (I read) 64 plays/game without running a high tempo offense. I say its possible they average 80.

Reid was pass-happy. Incomplete passes and passes out of bounds stop the clock. You're adding a higher run-mix... running plays keep the clock moving. The Patriots averaged around 75/game with a killer o-line, superb QB, and solid RB in Ridley.

Where does anyone get 80? You're just pulling numbers out of the air with no justification.

McCoy is a beast, but let's be realistic here. The Eagles are likely to be trailing, Vick is a turnover machine, and they have Celek/DeSean as the only solid receiving options. McCoy has less upside to me than Richardson, Foster, Rice, Charles, or Spiller. Though, Spiller is close... his team situation isn't much better (and could be worse), but I think he's a more explosive player and has a better o-line.
Going by what I'm reading from beat writers. Not pulling numbers out of the air. I believe it was Kelly himself that said he wanted to run a play like every 12 seconds.

Under Kelly, Oregon ran 1,077 plays in just 13 games last season (82.8 per game), according to ESPN Stats & Information. Amazingly, that would have ranked seventh (just two total plays behind the Eagles' 1,079) in the NFL's 16-game schedule last season. The New England Patriots led the NFL with 1,191 plays last season (74.4 per game).

Kelly wants to run a play every 12 seconds, so he gets the Eagles ready for it in practice, even having assistants calling in plays via elaborate hand signals from the sidelines. The Eagles run a ton of plays, move around quickly and don't spend much time waiting, doing nothing.

Going by what I'm reading from beat writers. Not pulling numbers out of the air. I believe it was Kelly himself that said he wanted to run a play like every 12 seconds.

Under Kelly, Oregon ran 1,077 plays in just 13 games last season (82.8 per game), according to ESPN Stats & Information. Amazingly, that would have ranked seventh (just two total plays behind the Eagles' 1,079) in the NFL's 16-game schedule last season. The New England Patriots led the NFL with 1,191 plays last season (74.4 per game).

Kelly wants to run a play every 12 seconds, so he gets the Eagles ready for it in practice, even having assistants calling in plays via elaborate hand signals from the sidelines. The Eagles run a ton of plays, move around quickly and don't spend much time waiting, doing nothing.
Yea, this isn't college. And there's no way a Vick-lead team is more efficient than Tom Brady.

I see a lot of hurry-up and not taking enough time to make the correct pre-snap adjustments resulting in a whole lot of quick three and outs and/or turnovers. I'm with Jaws on the Eagles... that offense isn't going to translate. These defensive guys aren't slouches and they aren't going to be thrown off with poor conditioning like all the teams the Ducks played. Look at the game versus Stanford ... they got stomped. Stanford plays a pro-style offense/defense and didn't even have elite players.

With the other safe no-brainer options available around McCoy (how is Trich going LATER?) I have found McCoy on exactly none of my teams this year, which includes about 20 MFL 10s.

I'm not totally hating on him... he's a great bet for top 10 production. But this whole top 3-5 argument is going nowhere for me.

Not sure why people think that the eagles trailing in games hurts McCoy. Playing from behind in the second half often means an all-out pass rush by the opposition and linebackers dropping back into coverage. That's tailor made for little swing passes and dump offs to McCoy.

I'm a big believer in the Philly offense this season (drafted Vick and McCoy), but you can't rely on Chip Kelly's stats while at Oregon. He always had better players than just about every team he faced. He's with the Eagles now, and while I'm no Eagle-basher I think it's reasonable to say he won't have better players than everyone he faces.

What I'm saying is, Philly probably won't run the same amount of plays as Oregon.

Yea, this isn't college. And there's no way a Vick-lead team is more efficient than Tom Brady.

I see a lot of hurry-up and not taking enough time to make the correct pre-snap adjustments resulting in a whole lot of quick three and outs and/or turnovers. I'm with Jaws on the Eagles... that offense isn't going to translate.

With the other safe no-brainer options available around McCoy (how is Trich going LATER?) I have found McCoy on exactly none of my teams this year, which includes about 20 MFL 10s.
I would much rather have McCoy than Richardson. (although having both would be awesome). Richardson runs in a violent style that is bound to wind up getting him constantly dinged up. I heard somewhere that he was on the injury report all but one week last season. I know that McCoy had a concussion last year, but he has not shown to be injury prone through his career.

I see a lot of hurry-up and not taking enough time to make the correct pre-snap adjustments resulting in a whole lot of quick three and outs and/or turnovers. I'm with Jaws on the Eagles... that offense isn't going to translate.

I would much rather have McCoy than Richardson. (although having both would be awesome). Richardson runs in a violent style that is bound to wind up getting him constantly dinged up. I heard somewhere that he was on the injury report all but one week last season. I know that McCoy had a concussion last year, but he has not shown to be injury prone through his career.
Think about the flip side for a moment. Wouldn't you rather have a RB that can finish top 10 even when he's injured? The rib injury happened in the 2nd game, I believe. Imagine what he's going to do healthy. I'll take the guy who is a first-round value even when he's playing hurt! His floor is the highest of any RB not named Peterson and I really don't understand how anyone can argue otherwise.

I'm a big believer in the Philly offense this season (drafted Vick and McCoy), but you can't rely on Chip Kelly's stats while at Oregon. He always had better players than just about every team he faced. He's with the Eagles now, and while I'm no Eagle-basher I think it's reasonable to say he won't have better players than everyone he faces.

What I'm saying is, Philly probably won't run the same amount of plays as Oregon.
This is what scares me. The few times that Oregon played against defenses with safeties and linebackers that could match them speed for speed, (against Auburn three years ago, LSU two years ago, Stanford last year)- they struggled. They couldn't move the ball. Chip Kelly has yet to prove that his offense will be effective against defenses with commanding speed. Now he faces those defenses every week.

That being said, i still love McCoy; I drafted him last night at the turn in a 10 player draft, and I was shocked and delighted that he was still there.

Personally for this year, I rank them:

1. Adrian Peterson

2. CJ Spiller

3. LeSean McCoy

4. Trent Richardson

I like all these guys better than Jamaal Charles, Doug Martin, Arian Foster, Ray Rice. And I think Chris Johnson may end up top 5 as well.

meyerj31 said:
JetMaxx said:
Stryker said:
I am stuck at 1.03 between Spiller, Charles, and McCoy...
McCoy
Am I the only one thinking it's AP then TRich? I guess so. I have TRich everywhere this year. I agree with Brad Stevens in that I think TRich has the highest ceiling for TDs this year... And how many backs have guaranteed 300+ rushing 50+ receiving touches? Not even AP receives the ball that much. Weeden is playing great and should keep defenses balanced... the Browns o-line is above average, and TRich is finally healthy. I think he's going to dominate this year and people will regret passing on him from the 1.02-1.05. 1400 / 60 / 600 / 15 TDs.
Yesterday, I drafted and drew #1. I traded with #5 for your exact reason. Took T-Rich and then was really happy to get Forte who I didn't think would last until last pick of round 2. We will see...

The guy picking after me groaned when I chose him and then he took McCoy. Think he was thinking the same.

Kwai Chang Caine said:
meyerj31 said:
JetMaxx said:
Stryker said:
I am stuck at 1.03 between Spiller, Charles, and McCoy...
McCoy
Am I the only one thinking it's AP then TRich? I guess so. I have TRich everywhere this year. I agree with Brad Stevens in that I think TRich has the highest ceiling for TDs this year... And how many backs have guaranteed 300+ rushing 50+ receiving touches? Not even AP receives the ball that much. Weeden is playing great and should keep defenses balanced... the Browns o-line is above average, and TRich is finally healthy. I think he's going to dominate this year and people will regret passing on him from the 1.02-1.05. 1400 / 60 / 600 / 15 TDs.
Yesterday, I drafted and drew #1. I traded with #5 for your exact reason. Took T-Rich and then was really happy to get Forte who I didn't think would last until last pick of round 2. We will see...

The guy picking after me groaned when I chose him and then he took McCoy. Think he was thinking the same.
Yea, nice. I drew 3rd in a work league and traded back to 6th. I'm pretty sure TRich will be there and I'll get either Ridley or CJ on the comeback. RBs are really huge in that league and I didn't want to start RB/WR.

:coffee:

And you look like a ####### again. Big surprise there, genius.

Can't believe I got mccoy at pick 10 in one league. And then came back in round 2 with Charles. Yeah I know who cares. . ;)

:coffee:
Oh so that's the guy that doesn't know?

Kool-Aid Larry said:
need2know said:
Can't believe I got mccoy at pick 10 in one league. And then came back in round 2 with Charles. Yeah I know who cares. . ;)
lol at that league
I know. 12 team 150 buck redraft. 3 qbs went rd 1 I couldn't believe it. Easy Money

Kool-Aid Larry said:
need2know said:
lol at that league
I know. 12 team 150 buck redraft. 3 qbs went rd 1 I couldn't believe it. Easy Money
If week 1 is any indication then 3 QBs in the 1st wasn't a bad play.

Only 1 RB went over 100 yards this week ( not counting monday nights game ) where 17 QBs throw for 250+ and there were 17 100+ receiving games.

People are still stuck in that RB ONLY IN THE FIRST! mentality. I could see why McCoy fell that far though because new college coach and all of that. Not saying I agree, I had him rated 2 overall behind AP lol

I wonder if the 11 other people in my dynasty start up feel stupid for passing (5 of whom passed on him twice) on Mccoy and letting me grab him in the 2.06. (traded up in the first to snag Graham, 1.5teppr)

I wonder if they 11 other people in my dynasty start up feel stupid for passing (5 of whom passed on him twice) on Mccoy and letting me grab him in the 2.06. (traded up in the first to snag Graham, 1.5teppr)
McCoy was awesome tonight. However, a few things should be understood:

1-Just about everything went right for the Eagles in the 1st half (with regards to running the amount of plays they "want" to); The Redskins couldn't hold onto the ball. They had 3 turnovers in their 1st 3 drives, and none of their 1st half possessions was longer than 6 plays. The 'Skins dropped a ball Even the Philly TO resulted in a defensive TD, so the Philly offense got right back on teh field. The Philly defense isn't that good; Washington looked really bad last night. Those kind of bounces won't happen every week.

2-McCoy can't handle 30 touches every week; if they are going to continue even close to this volume of plays, Brown HAS to get more work. If not, McCoy is going to get worn down.

3-McCoy had only 1 catch. Many people were predicting a big year receiving from McCoy (although a few people said that Kelley's offense doesnt' work like that). Will he continue to be an aftertought in the passing game?

imo T. Richardson is the only back who could top McCoy. But I believed that before the Season started too

Id say it mostly comes down to how good the Philly D really plays. McCoy will take some abuse taking short pass's in the middle (burnin the clock)

I wonder if they 11 other people in my dynasty start up feel stupid for passing (5 of whom passed on him twice) on Mccoy and letting me grab him in the 2.06. (traded up in the first to snag Graham, 1.5teppr)

1-Just about everything went right for the Eagles in the 1st half (with regards to running the amount of plays they "want" to); The Redskins couldn't hold onto the ball. They had 3 turnovers in their 1st 3 drives, and none of their 1st half possessions was longer than 6 plays. The 'Skins dropped a ball Even the Philly TO resulted in a defensive TD, so the Philly offense got right back on teh field. The Philly defense isn't that good; Washington looked really bad last night. Those kind of bounces won't happen every week.

2-McCoy can't handle 30 touches every week; if they are going to continue even close to this volume of plays, Brown HAS to get more work. If not, McCoy is going to get worn down.

3-McCoy had only 1 catch. Many people were predicting a big year receiving from McCoy (although a few people said that Kelley's offense doesnt' work like that). Will he continue to be an aftertought in the passing game?
This is pretty much my thoughts on the situation... mainly #1 and #2. Philly will not be nearly as effective in most games as they were last night. Realize that Washington shut that offense down fairly easily until halfway through the 2nd half when they were almost dead from being on the field for almost the entire game. If my math is correct the Eagles had the ball for about 20 of 30 minutes of the first half. McCoy will never survive running 30+ plays a game. He'll be lucky to make it past Week 10.

Vick said that Philly only showed about 60% of their offensive arsenal last night. I think Kelly is going to introduce things as needed. One game, McCoy might catch 1 or 2 passes, while the following game, he gets 6 or 7.

Pretty sure no one is expecting 30 - 180 every week, but the offense looked very good for week one in a new radically different system. I'm pretty confident penciling McCoy in near the league leaders in carries / rushing yards. The nature of last night's game cuts both ways -- yes McCoy saw more carries than he likely will in closer games or when the Eagles are trailing. But because the team was protecting a big lead, the offense was pretty conservative / vanilla in the passing game -- he'll average more than 1 target moving forward. He'll be in the mix for RB1 all year IMO.

Vick said that Philly only showed about 60% of their offensive arsenal last night. I think Kelly is going to introduce things as needed. One game, McCoy might catch 1 or 2 passes, while the following game, he gets 6 or 7.
Because Vick has to be truthful and would totally say "We went all out tonight. Thats everything we got and the Redskins figured us out at halftime".

Because Vick has to be truthful and would totally say "We went all out tonight. Thats everything we got and the Redskins figured us out at halftime".
You think the eagles have learned and are executing 100% of the offense that Chip Kelly has developed in his years at Oregon?

How fun is Shady to watch? So quick. So good.

Mike Vick..please learn to go down after you have run for 30 yards and avoid taking a hit. We need you buddy.

Rotoworld:

LeSean McCoy is averaging 4.2 YPC with Nick Foles at quarterback, compared to 5.4 YPC with Michael Vick under center this season.

"You got to account for Mike's running ability. That's the biggest difference between the two," McCoy said. "My numbers may be down with Nick. It's probably because they'd rather take me out and deal with Nick." Foles has been named the starter for the remainder of the season, and Shady acknowledged his personal numbers may suffer a bit but that winning is the main objective. McCoy has rushed for 232 yards the past two games and remains a high-end RB1. He's Rotoworld's No. 5 back this week against a tough Arizona defense.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

anyone worried about what Zona has been doing vs RB's this year?

To balance that out, though, McCoy has to face Arizona in Week 13. The Cardinals have allowed the fewest Fantasy points per game to opposing running backs; they've allowed just three running backs to score this season. And in the last four games, only one player has run for more than 50 yards against the Cardinals, with just one 100-yard rusher on the year.

To balance that out, though, McCoy has to face Arizona in Week 13. The Cardinals have allowed the fewest Fantasy points per game to opposing running backs; they've allowed just three running backs to score this season. And in the last four games, only one player has run for more than 50 yards against the Cardinals, with just one 100-yard rusher on the year.
I keep hearing that I'm supposed to temper expectation and etc. Every time I go to contemplate the match-up I have visions of him juking pro NFL players out of their socks. My brain doesn't know how to form a sentence containing both the words McCoy and worried, unless of course, I'm referring to the opposing team when using the word "worried".

Looking a little deeper into the zona D stats it does seem that they give up a fair amount of receptions/yds to opposing rbs, especially those who are good receiving backs. Since shady is one of the top receiving RB's in the league I think that bodes well for him.

I actually have a few decent options at RB (mendenhall v PHI 17 v run and donald brown v Ten 31st v the run) but still think I'm gonna ride with shady. But those Zona D #s are pretty nasty

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/teams/teampage-crd-5.php

Chip Kelly has had 2 weeks to prepare for Arizona. McCoy is one of their top weapons.

Rotoworld:

Beat writer Sheil Kapadia says it's "unlikely" LeSean McCoy "sees a significant decrease" in usage next season despite the acquisition of Darren Sproles.
Yes, the Eagles want to ensure they don't overwork McCoy, who played the second-most snaps of any running back in the league last year and piled up 366 touches. But we're talking about one of the game's most valuable players, one that draws fair comparisons to Barry Sanders for his raw running ability. McCoy is going to get his 18-20 carries per game plus all the goal-line work, leaving him right there with Adrian Peterson and Jamaal Charles atop the fantasy running back rankings. Just knock his reception projection (52 last season) down a peg.

Related: Darren Sproles

Source: Philly Mag: Birds 24/7

I love McCoy and he is a top RB in the league. And also he is nowhere near Barry Sanders. That's not a knock on McCoy.

Users who are viewing this thread