What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

anyone here into fishing? (1 Viewer)

This is sad, and scary

We are having the same problem down here
Study done in one of my favorite fishing spots The mosquito lagoon does not look good.

I never keep any thing I catch other than speck and those are out of local lakes. Probably problems there too.

I caught this one out of Mosquito Lagoon yesterday.

We will be getting the boat out on Sunday. Supposed to be 75 here, but will be hitting it early in the morning. Everything biting now as we are in pre-spawn.

I have a ton of other info coming but will post later. No time now.

Fished a little on the opening morning then again Sunday morning

The crowds are huge around here opening weekend which I hate so I always hit a spot or 2 that most people won’t walk to because they’re lazy

My spot opening morning

Last edited:
So my son with the bait company has expanded his empire to include a YouTube and Instagram channel. He is doing these as a fisherman trying to establish an online presence so he can eventually drive people to his website.

Here's one of his instagram posts.

One of his YouTube videos.

If you like, subscribe. He's been a fishing fool lately getting out as much as he can. Fun to watch and I'm glad he's doing stuff outdoors.

I'd love to learn how to fly fish.

Any recommendations?

:shrug:

Go to a local flyshop and say you want to purchase a budget 5 weight setup and ask if they can recommend lessons in casting. You will also want to watch instructional videos on youtube on how to fly fish.

Once you have practiced casting, then it is a matter of going and trying to fish using the tips you learned from youtube. Once you have gone once or twice hire a guide to take you out and provide more instruction.

From this point on you should be pretty self sufficient and at least be able to catch some fish if the fishing is good.

I am not sure where you live, but even in Houston there is fly fishing opportunities locally.

I'd love to learn how to fly fish.

Any recommendations?

:shrug:
if you have an orvis store in your area they normally have flyfishing 101 classes that are free or near to free i used to help out running one at an orvis store once upon a time and so i personally think the instructors are effin amazing take that to the bank brochacho

So my son with the bait company has expanded his empire to include a YouTube and Instagram channel. He is doing these as a fisherman trying to establish an online presence so he can eventually drive people to his website.

If you like, subscribe. He's been a fishing fool lately getting out as much as he can. Fun to watch and I'm glad he's doing stuff outdoors.
Subscribed. In FB, I see lots of reels about fishing. I wonder how one gets a video in reels, or if FB would be a target audience.

Subscribed. In FB, I see lots of reels about fishing. I wonder how one gets a video in reels, or if FB would be a target audience.
I think it's pretty easy. He could do it through his company Facebook page.

I asked him about it but he's been focused on Instagram right now for the shorts. I keep telling him the old people with money are on Facebook.

I can vouch for his lures. I posted a picture in this thread of a nice bass I caught on one of his spinner baits.

I can vouch for his lures. I posted a picture in this thread of a nice bass I caught on one of his spinner baits.
Yes you did. That was an awesome bass. Love that pic.

I grew up fishing on dory boats here in Oregon, but today was my first time back out on one in about 30 years. Had a hell of a start with the launch vehicle getting buried in the surf/sand for 30 minutes (dory boats are launched through the surf) and then one of the other charter guests having a medical emergency 20 minutes in that forced us to go back in. But once we headed back out again, we had a great morning. We started by pulling in a dozen or so crab, which once we were done they cooked up and we were eating 30 minutes after being back on the beach. Then we caught limits of rock fish and ling cod as well (I caught the 20 pounder in the foreground!) - we'll be eating well the next few days and the freezer is full!

Anyone know if fishing charters are worthwhile in Maine, Bar Harbor region? There for a few days wasn’t sure if that’s worth checking out.

Been doing quite a bit of fishing this summer, I have been sharing a boat with a friend however that will end shortly.

I probably will not do as much fishing this fall, although I hope to buy a boat by next spring.

I haven’t fished in YEARS. When my brother passed I got all his stuff and just haven’t been able to even touch it without breaking down.

That changes tomorrow.

Is there like an app or an online guide to good fishing spots near me?
Where are you looking to fish?

For now, within an hour or so of Silver Spring, MD.

I could drive to the eastern shore but I’m more looking for close spots so I can go more frequently.

Last edited:
I haven’t fished in YEARS. When my brother passed I got all his stuff and just haven’t been able to even touch it without breaking down.

That changes tomorrow.

I could drive to the eastern shore but I’m more looking for close spots so I can go more frequently.
You might try fish brain.

If you are fishing more costal, I do think Salt Strong is really good. If you sign up through a referral, I think you get some free stuff. Here is mine if anyone us interested

That changes tomorrow.

You might try fish brain.

If you are fishing more costal, I do think Salt Strong is really good. If you sign up through a referral, I think you get some free stuff. Here is mine if anyone us interested

I found some spots on Reddit Im going to try out.

That changes tomorrow.

If you find some good local spots, and are open to sharing my brother is in Silver Spring and I have 4 nephews who like to fish

That changes tomorrow.

If you find some good local spots, and are open to sharing my brother is in Silver Spring and I have 4 nephews who like to fish

They probably know more than me but if I catch any I will certainly share!

I’m on the plane headed to Alaska for my 10th annual salmon fishing trip. We’ll fish sockeye on Soldotna, and head to Homer one day for a day of halibut, ling cod, and rockfish. We have a silver day in there too.

I’ll report back! 🎣

We are having an epic trip in Alaska. This is our 10th year going, and we will bring back more fish this year than any other.
We had our white fish day today and got 400 lbs of filets of halibut, rock fish, and ling cod. And I got an 85 lb halibut 😊
We’ve limited out two days on sockeye (limit of 6), and still have one more day tomorrow. We’ll have over 100 lbs each to bring back, for 8 guys.

Such a great trip. I’ll post pics when I get back.

Went fishing yesterday in the surf. The waves were too big which kicks up the sand turning the water brown.

Skunked.

Heading to Wisconsin next Wednesday for my annual trip for some smallie and muskie fishing. We'll also catch some sturgeon hopefully as well. Can't wait. Hopefully there is something photo worthy to share.

Will be using some of my son's baits to try and get some muskie content for his social pages for the website.

btw- for reasons I can't explain, folks in Wisconsin spell it: musky. Almost everyone else spells it muskie. Both are valid

Enjoy your trip

Heading to Wisconsin next Wednesday for my annual trip for some smallie and muskie fishing. We'll also catch some sturgeon hopefully as well. Can't wait. Hopefully there is something photo worthy to share.

Will be using some of my son's baits to try and get some muskie content for his social pages for the website.

btw- for reasons I can't explain, folks in Wisconsin spell it: musky. Almost everyone else spells it muskie. Both are valid

Enjoy your trip
Yeah, I've used both interchangeably over the years.

I'll also be making a couple of Kwik Trip runs and grabbing some Spotted Cow to bring home.

That changes tomorrow.

I imagine at this point you've already gone, but just wanted to share for the future -

If it's worth it to make it up to the Patapsco, most of the schooled Striper are in the river. They've been in there for a month or so because there's a huge pod of dolphins in the bay between Baltimore and Rock Hall MD on the eastern side. I'd imagine most any spot you can find to fish from the shore would have a chance at some good fish. My parents live in Rock Hall and we took the boat over a few weeks ago and had a blast catching them around some old piers. We fish the Chester on the eastern shore, and the Patapsco and Magothy a lot and this was about as good as I've seen.

You can probably also try fishing for snakeheads if you have any back-water with lilly pads and such near you. That's on my bucket list to catch. They say pretty much any substantial body of water in that area has them as long as there are some calm shallows.

That changes tomorrow.

I imagine at this point you've already gone, but just wanted to share for the future -

If it's worth it to make it up to the Patapsco, most of the schooled Striper are in the river. They've been in there for a month or so because there's a huge pod of dolphins in the bay between Baltimore and Rock Hall MD on the eastern side. I'd imagine most any spot you can find to fish from the shore would have a chance at some good fish. My parents live in Rock Hall and we took the boat over a few weeks ago and had a blast catching them around some old piers. We fish the Chester on the eastern shore, and the Patapsco and Magothy a lot and this was about as good as I've seen.

You can probably also try fishing for snakeheads if you have any back-water with lilly pads and such near you. That's on my bucket list to catch. They say pretty much any substantial body of water in that area has them as long as there are some calm shallows.
How far up the river do you normally see stripers? How long are they around. That could be a blast for my nephews

Story from my yearly May trip in Canada.
While trolling for Walleyes, I caught a nice 23" Lake Trout.
About an hour later, I caught a 25" Whitefish, largest ever caught by anyone that has gone to the cabin over 12 years, and only the 5th ever caught as we don't fish for them.
As the afternoon went on, I caught 5 Bass and 7 Northern Pike.
It was only 4pm so figured I'd hit a "Grand slam" as I only needed a Walleye, you know, the thing we were fishing for. :lmao:

Over the next 4 hours I caught another 7 pike, 10 Bass, and even another Lake Trout.. But do you think I could catch a bleeping Walleye???

So, I'll go down in history for our group as the guy that caught everything but a Walleye in one day.. Bleep

About an hour later, I caught a 25" Whitefish, largest ever caught by anyone that has gone to the cabin over 12 years, and only the 5th ever caught as we don't fish for them.
It was only 4pm so figured I'd hit a "Grand slam" as I only needed a Walleye, you know, the thing we were fishing for. :lmao:

Over the next 4 hours I caught another 7 pike, 10 Bass, and even another Lake Trout.. But do you think I could catch a bleeping Walleye???

So, I'll go down in history for our group as the guy that caught everything but a Walleye in one day.. Bleep
Man, you could laugh or cry for this one.

What a great day except for that stinking walleye. :lol:

Man, you could laugh or cry for this one.

What a great day except for that stinking walleye. :lol:
Yep..
As the sunset, and we were on our last troll, I felt a tug on my line and thought "it's about bleeping time"..... Only to land a big old stick.. All I could do was :lol:

I turned to my cousin and said " I'm not going to let no Walleye ruin what was a great day".. We tapped beers and headed in.

That changes tomorrow.

How far up the river do you normally see stripers? How long are they around. That could be a blast for my nephews

For the Patapsco specifically, I've had luck anywhere from the Key Bridge all the way up past the tunnel just outside the inner-harbor - they may go further, but I've never gone up that far.

Striper are in the bay most all year. Basically winter is slower, but there are bigger fish. The really big spawning fish (35" - 45"+) come up the bay in late March through early May, which is trophy season. Most of the summer it's a mix of small dinks and 20" - 30" fish, which are great eating size. The season closes completely for most of July due to the heat and the impacts on catch-and-release fish.

I've heard about them way up some of the creeks - especially in the fall and spring, but you should check the Maryland DNR maps as they close fishing way up the creeks at various times for spawning.

you head to wausau area right are you fishing the wisconsin river or lakes take that to the river bank brochacho

Users who are viewing this thread