What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Apple Pie "Moonshine" (1 Viewer)

Gonna be making a batch tomorrow to be ready for Halloween night. Gotta have something to help pass the time as trick-or-treaters come by!
Lol. Local headline. Polish man arrested for indecent exposure, corrupting a minor and resisting arrest He was found naked head first in a plastic witches cauldron in a bizarre attempt to evade police, as it was a child size cauldron and was like up by a 200 watt spotlight on the neighbors front lawn. Hundreds of children receiving counseling as we speak...

Sitting on a flight on SWA and found this gem in their Spirit Magazine. In the same vain as the Apple Pie Moonshine. A good one if you're not up for making a ginormous batch of something:

Kentucky Waffle

2 ounces good bourbon

1 ounce maple syrup

3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice

1/2 ounce sparkling cider

1 cinnamon stick

Combine all ingredients in ice-filled cocktail shaker (including cinnamon stick). Shake long enough to blend maple syrup, then strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with cinnamon stick.

Definitely giving this a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought a big jug (1.75L) of 151 Everclear (Damn you WV for not having 190!), and will be making up another batch of this soon.

Definitely better if you split the sugar half Brown and half White. Gives it a much nicer taste. :banned:

This will be my 3rd time making it - first time used a 750ml bottle of 190 Everclear, 2nd time was a full 1/2 gallon of WV moonshine (no idea what proof), and my 3rd attempt with the big bottle of 151.

Just sucks being in OH...can't even buy the 151 everclear here, let alone the 190. :mellow:

While we're here, does anybody have any preference for any of the "legal moonshines"?

You can't get high-proof grain alcohol in VA and I don't have a good moonshine connection here either (though they did bust that nip-joint here in "Moonshiners"). I've been wanting to check out some of the legal un-aged corn whiskeys anyway and that's what I'd have to use for apple pie.

Also, the folks that bought Junior Johnson's name to slap on a bottle of low-proof corn whiskey make a version of "Apple Pie". Is it any good?

Wife made some of this over Thanksgiving. I can definitely see how Bad Decision Juice is an appropriate nickname. It's legitimately terrifying when I think of how easy it is to drink a lot it. Thinking of making a lot of this for Christmas. And maybe the Super Bowl. And maybe just because it's Wednesday.

Wife made some of this over Thanksgiving. I can definitely see how Bad Decision Juice is an appropriate nickname. It's legitimately terrifying when I think of how easy it is to drink a lot it. Thinking of making a lot of this for Christmas. And maybe the Super Bowl. And maybe just because it's Wednesday.
:thumbup:

Yep... It drinks entirely too smooth for the booze content. Great holiday/tailgate/why not beverage.

I'll try this recipe next time and see if it's better than mine. I use:

3 quarts apple juice

3/4 cup brown sugar
3 cinnamon sticks

3 cloves
1 liter of 190 proof

I make a bunch of this every year... Just made another batch yesterday... my recipe is pretty simple..

1 Gallon of apple cider

1 Gallon of apple juice

3 cups of brown sugar

1 cup of white sugar

6-7 cinnamon sticks

a splash of vanilla extract

a dash of nutmeg

Bring to a boil, let simmer for a bit.. turn off the heat, let it sit overnight... add a bottle of 190 proof everclear in the morning..

I make a bunch of this every year... Just made another batch yesterday... my recipe is pretty simple..

1 Gallon of apple cider

1 Gallon of apple juice

3 cups of brown sugar

1 cup of white sugar

6-7 cinnamon sticks

a dash of nutmeg

Bring to a boil, let simmer for a bit.. turn off the heat, let it sit overnight... add a bottle of 190 proof everclear in the morning..
We finished our jar of this BTW. Thanks again. :thumbup:

1 Gallon of apple cider

1 Gallon of apple juice

3 cups of brown sugar

1 cup of white sugar

6-7 cinnamon sticks

a dash of nutmeg

Bring to a boil, let simmer for a bit.. turn off the heat, let it sit overnight... add a bottle of 190 proof everclear in the morning.
There seems to be a large discrepancy in the amount of sugar used, as well as white versus brown. I used 1.5 cups brown and it seems to have the right amount of sweetness. I will see how this goes and tweak it next time.

otello said:
playin4beer said:

1 Gallon of apple cider

1 Gallon of apple juice

3 cups of brown sugar

1 cup of white sugar

6-7 cinnamon sticks

a dash of nutmeg

Bring to a boil, let simmer for a bit.. turn off the heat, let it sit overnight... add a bottle of 190 proof everclear in the morning.
There seems to be a large discrepancy in the amount of sugar used, as well as white versus brown. I used 1.5 cups brown and it seems to have the right amount of sweetness. I will see how this goes and tweak it next time.
I've used 2 cups of each and 2 cups total in different recipes... I REALLY don't think you can screw this up too badly.. I haven't had a single batch taste "bad".. just different...

this stuff is good.

Wildrye Apple PieAt Wildrye, we pass on what is now a Montannassee tradition: WILDRYE APPLE PIE made with handcrafted Montanassee corn white lightning mixed with apples, spices and honey. Wildrye apple pie is delectable mixed or by itself. Either way, you have our word that it’s so good, you’ll want to eat the ice!
http://www.wildryedistilling.com/

Made a batch of this last year that most everyone loved.  Was pretty damn strong.  That being said, it was a little too sweet I think.  I'm going to modify the recipe a bit I think.. Here is the recipe I followed:

1 750ml bottle of 190 proof Everclear 

2 cups of 100 proof spiced rum – might have used 3 cups, can't remember.  Think I added 2 cups, then added the full 1/2 gallon juice instead of the 1 quart it called for...

1 Gallon Apple Cider

1/2 Gallon Apple Juice

3 Cups of Brown Sugar

1 Cup of White Sugar

10 Cinnamon Sticks

I think I'm going to omit the cup of white sugar... Saw a recipe that called for Vanilla Vodka instead of the Rum.. That looked interesting, but I think I can just add some Vanilla extract. And keep the high proof rum.   Need to try throwing in some cloves as I see a lot of recipes with that..

Another recipe called for some caramel vodka.  I might have to try that at some point too.

planning on making some this weekend. any updates on the brown/white sugar ratios?
White sugar is just brown sugar that's been refined to take out the molasses… I like molasses… I am team 100 percent brown sugar

Made a batch 2 weeks ago.  Yields 10 mason jars. Not sure if it's the cider I used (Costco) or the brown sugar but the bottom has some sediment in it.  Do you guys shake this up before drinking? just chugged 3/4 a jar it seems the alcohol sits on the bottom half.  Used a handle of 190 everclear 

Any idea what the % per jar would be? 

not strong enough

making a new batch, will probably use half the cider/juice
Different strokes! The original goal was to make it dangerously drinkable. That said, there is beauty in customization. If I wanted something strong, I'd just drink bourbon neat, though. 

Making some tonight to pass out around the holidays.... I only use brown sugar too at this point.  This is pretty close to what I throw together... I like making mine stronger, but not overpowering..  Everyone who tries it loves it.

1 fifth of 190 proof Everclear 
1 smaller (whatever the next size down from a fifth is, pint?) bottle of 100 proof spiced Rum
1 Gallon Apple Cider
2 Quarts?  (I just grab a larger bottle of  Apple Juice.  It's not a gallon, so I'm assuming it is 2 quarts)
3 Cups of Brown Sugar
10 Cinnamon Sticks
Whole Cloves.

Once it's cooled down and I've added the liquor and poured it into the mason jars, I'll add 2 shots of salted caramel moonshine to each jar.

Different strokes! The original goal was to make it dangerously drinkable. That said, there is beauty in customization. If I wanted something strong, I'd just drink bourbon neat, though. 
true

I think its just a tad too sweet for me, maybe I should reduce the sugar

felt like I was getting a sugar high

true

I think its just a tad too sweet for me, maybe I should reduce the sugar

felt like I was getting a sugar high
Everytime I make it I end up adding a little bit less sugar.  It does tend to be too sweet.  But the sugar is what kills the alcohol taste, so you have to make sure not to cut back too much.

Users who are viewing this thread