What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you an alcoholic? (1 Viewer)

are you an alcoholic?

• yes

Votes: 56 28.3%
  • no

Votes: 142 71.7%

• Total voters
Yep. However I only drink Coors Light and nothing harder. But I tend to drink 3-6 of them a night. Some nights nothing, weekends more. Never had a DUi or lost a job or it doesn't affect my marriage other than my wife upset once in a while about the $.

I don't like being drunk so thus the choice of basically near beer but I am sure I qualify as an alcoholic under the definition
No offense but you may be the worst alcoholic ever. Coors Light??

I basically felt like #### 2/3 of every single day. Honestly, I don't know how people function like that. It was a fun month, but #### that ####.
This is the point I always get to. After several days in a row of hitting it hard, I always start to feel like crap. I have to stop.

This makes me wonder. Do alcoholics reach this point and power through it? Or maybe not everyone feels this way?

Yep. However I only drink Coors Light and nothing harder. But I tend to drink 3-6 of them a night. Some nights nothing, weekends more. Never had a DUi or lost a job or it doesn't affect my marriage other than my wife upset once in a while about the $.

I don't like being drunk so thus the choice of basically near beer but I am sure I qualify as an alcoholic under the definition
Maybe he's in college? :shrug:

The term is way overused. Especially by actual alcoholics.

I drink a ton because I like it. But I don't have to have a drink today. Or tomorrow. And it never interferes with something I have to do.

I imagine that's similar to a lot of people. But unfortunately, the term "alcoholic" often becomes synonymous with "drinks a lot."
You can have a 'drinking problem' without being an 'alcoholic'. To me the term alcoholic refers to someone who can't control their drinking (keeps drinking until they are pass out drunk). Someone with a drinking problem may be able to control the amount they drink (not get pass out drunk) but drinking dominates their free time.
Depends if college counts. Assuming it doesn't then I probably fell into the problem drinker category post-college/pre-kids. Now? Probably average out to one heavy day every month or two, 3-5 drinks with my wife/friends at some point over most other weekends, and a glass of one of my whiskey's at some point during the week. Im good with that.

Coors Light in college? That's premium caliber stuff.

Coors Light in college? That's premium caliber stuff.
Ah my college days are way behind me....So I guess we are just back at the starting point that I am probably the worst alcoholic in the world.

Realized awhile ago that I don't have much of a control mechanism. I would say no since i don't need to drink or have something every day. However, whenever I do feel like a drink I don't just have a couple. 12pk will be gone quickly, bottle of Jameson will last a couple days, etc. With a 9 month old on the house I just limit the booze to once or twice a month and only bring home a 6 pack. I guess all that points to a yes response.

He was correct in pointing out that coors light isnt really beer.

I say not a true alcoholic.

I basically felt like #### 2/3 of every single day. Honestly, I don't know how people function like that. It was a fun month, but #### that ####.
This is the point I always get to. After several days in a row of hitting it hard, I always start to feel like crap. I have to stop.

This makes me wonder. Do alcoholics reach this point and power through it? Or maybe not everyone feels this way?
I think they power through with more drinks.

There have been many days over the last two months where i nearly fainted in the morning while traveling to work.

Stepping up on the bus or train got me woozy.

I came in late one day because i had to go back home to compose myself so i wouldnt vomit in public. It was no big deal at work because im typically early every day but it worried me when it happened.

Upset about the money? Can't you buy a case of Coors for like $12?

Once I turned 30, I lost the ability to drink much without blacking out. I had a couple pretty embarrassing blackouts and brownouts in my low 30's, and realized I had to quit the hard stuff.

I can successfully drink in public using light beer. I know this and stick with it.

At home I like a single craft beer a couple times a week or a single mixed drink.

Blackout free for 3 years now

Once I turned 30, I lost the ability to drink much without blacking out. I had a couple pretty embarrassing blackouts and brownouts in my low 30's, and realized I had to quit the hard stuff.

I can successfully drink in public using light beer. I know this and stick with it.

At home I like a single craft beer a couple times a week or a single mixed drink.

Hard to get blackout drunk when you are only allowed $8.50 for entertainment expenses per week. That's what 2 light beers?

Hard to get blackout drunk when you are only allowed $8.50 for entertainment expenses per week. That's what 2 light beers?
Pretty sure the $8.50 is for hookers and the light beer goes under the grocery tab

It's cheap here in Missouri when you try to limit yourself to happy hours, I can get 3.5 beers for that, including tip!

It's cheap here in Missouri when you try to limit yourself to happy hours, I can get 3.5 beers for that, including tip!
10% for quality service?

yes, in 1983

No but I drink quite a bit
unfortunately, the term "alcoholic" often becomes synonymous with "drinks a lot."
Alcoholics go to meetings....
it doesn't seem to be causing any life problems for me
I do binge hard when out or at events
To me the term alcoholic refers to someone who can't control their drinking (keeps drinking until they are pass out drunk).
Stopped for a bit and started again but in moderation. Didn't think that was possible but it's working for me.
The alcoholic is the person that drinking dominates their free time.
I prefer to think of myself as party enabled.
I hate it when people say you don't need alcohol to have a good time. You don't need running shoes to run, but it ####### helps.
To me an alcoholic is someone who can't not drink Like has to drink everyday...and a lot every day (case of beer, 5th whatever)
If you go a week without drinking, you're not an alcoholic by the medical definition.
Nope, I have drink maybe 1-2x a week. Get wasted 1-2x a month.
I would say no since i don't need to drink or have something every day. However, whenever I do feel like a drink I don't just have a couple.
I came in late one day because i had to go back home to compose myself so i wouldnt vomit in public.
Variations on a theme...

I think they power through with more drinks.
Pretty much. It's kinda like when runners hit the wall but they keep on going.

I would wake up hungover as all hell, dry heave most of the time. My face would feel swollen and my eyes were always puffy. I kept a frozen bag of mix vegetables in my freezer for the sole purpose of icing down my hungover eyes. I'd then walk to work (I was bartending at the time), stop at one of the bars on the way, slam a couple of pale ales, wave at Tipsy when I passed the restaurant and clock in at work.

You do that each day for a long time and that becomes the only way you know how to live. Ultimately hit my rock bottom, quit cold turkey, and moved out of New Orleans.

I do miss those two 24-hour bars right by my apartment though. Chartreuse, Fernet, and craft beers each night until I blacked out.

My brother is a recovering alcoholic, used to drink vodka in water bottles at all times of the day and hid it from everyone for the most part until he couldn't. I tend to drink a lot of craft beers and wine and at times will black out. It isn't uncommon for me to head to a bar near my office at lunch for 2-3 craft beers but I'm typically back in the office cranking out calls after. I'm in sales and travel a decent amount, my drinking tends to increase as I'm taking out clients or my sales reps.

I can go a few days without drinking and it isn't a problem but definitely feel cravings at times. When I was a regular coke and ecstasy user, I drank more heavily and for longer periods (up 48 hours straight and downing booze the whole time).

I hit the gym regularly though so I tend not to get drunk during the week and am planning a sober January starting on the 2nd. If that lasts 2-3 weeks I will be happy.

So answered yes but I quit coke cold turkey after being a heavy user for several years so I feel like I could walk away from alcohol if ever needed. I think I tend to make sure I never jump over that edge where I need to though as I would rather have it in my life.

For many of us, I would guess the answer would be different if you asked us and then asked our spouses.

For me, I might have a beer (one; very rarely two) on the occasional weeknight, unless it's something out of the ordinary like a friends stops by or I go visit my dad. Some weeks it's none at all, some weeks it might be a couple nights. Weekends, if (for example) I catch a Pats game out with friends, I'll have 4-6 beers.

During the summer, every Saturday night I crank it up but it's in a campground at which I'm not driving anywhere. On these nights, I might have a 12-pack.

I put myself in the "No" category.

For many of us, I would guess the answer would be different if you asked us and then asked our spouses.

For me, I might have a beer (one; very rarely two) on the occasional weeknight, unless it's something out of the ordinary like a friends stops by or I go visit my dad. Some weeks it's none at all, some weeks it might be a couple nights. Weekends, if (for example) I catch a Pats game out with friends, I'll have 4-6 beers.

During the summer, every Saturday night I crank it up but it's in a campground at which I'm not driving anywhere. On these nights, I might have a 12-pack.

I put myself in the "No" category.
The spouse line made me spit lol

yes, in 1983
in 83 i was getting 3.99 12 packs of schmidt for my dorm fridge.

Nah. I don't really drink at all. Maybe 1 drink a week and that's only if others are having one with dinner. I don't keep it in the house.

It is about self control. I never drink more than I plan to drink. If we go out to dinner I may have a glass or two of wine..sometimes not. When we go out for drinks I usually have 3-4 beers. The times that I get blasted are also planned. I know if I am going to a good party, big game or a festive event I plan on getting toasted well in advance...and I follow through.

Like tonight. We have 20 people coming over for News Years Eve. The MSU-Bama game will be on so I have already planned on a big night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without a definition this won't mean anything. And there are tons of different definitions, from has more than 2 drinks in a night to have to drink to start the day. Pretty wide spectrum of opinion there.

I am an alcoholic who hasn't had a drink in six years. The definition I'm comfortable with is the inability to stop drinking despite repeated attempts to quit and despite mounting consequence which increase in severity over time.
Congrats on your sobriety!

The "inability to stop drinking" part of the definition is tricky. Do you mean that once a person starts drinking that can't stop until they pass out? Only the worst alcoholics, in my opinion, have no control. There are many others with varying degrees of functionality.

Went to the market for some odds and ends. I went straight to the beer case but turned around and just got the groceries.

I might drink later. Have no plans to go anywhere tonight

Without a definition this won't mean anything. And there are tons of different definitions, from has more than 2 drinks in a night to have to drink to start the day. Pretty wide spectrum of opinion there.
There really isn't a definition, though. Hard definitions are used to say "see, I'm ok, since I don't drink every day" (et al).

The only definition I think is valid is "does it negatively impact your life, or the lives of those close to you?" This could mean the once a week guy who ties one on every Saturday night, yet it's negatively affecting his marriage, has a problem.

Yep. Got a DUI when I was in my 20's and was diagnosed as alcoholic in the court ordered class and told I would never be able to control my drinking and would be dead by 40 if I didn't get into AA.

48 now, never set foot in an AA meeting, and if I have 20 drinks in a month it was a crazy month. Most alcohol counselor's seem to be reformed alcoholics and it seems like they can't grasp the concept that many of us really can control our drinking.

Alcohol is also linked to cancer of the mouth, nose, larynx, oesophagus, colon, liver, and breast cancer in women. Between 4% and 30% of cancer deaths worldwide could be attributed to alcohol use (for breast cancer, the most common, the figure was 8%). Importantly, even moderate drinking confers some increased risk: just one glass a day increases the risk of breast cancer by 4%, while heavy drinking can increase the risk by 40-50%.

There really isn't a definition, though. Hard definitions are used to say "see, I'm ok, since I don't drink every day" (et al).

The only definition I think is valid is "does it negatively impact your life, or the lives of those close to you?" This could mean the once a week guy who ties one on every Saturday night, yet it's negatively affecting his marriage, has a problem.
Or maybe his wife has a problem.

Or maybe his wife has a problem.
Possibly. I've known some really unreasonable people who get uncomfortable when someone around them has more than two drinks. Then again, I know some people who "only get drunk on weekends", but are tough to be around when they drink.

Users who are viewing this thread