What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you an alcoholic? (1 Viewer)

are you an alcoholic?

• yes

Votes: 56 28.3%
  • no

Votes: 142 71.7%

• Total voters

Mors Venit

Footballguy
My life has recently taken a turn in this direction and it just became apparent to me how easily it could happen to anyone.

I am just curious of how prevalent it is.

I ommited a "maybe" answer to get a better outlook. Use whatever criteria for alcoholism that you like.

My life has recently taken a turn in this direction and it just became apparent to me how easily it could happen to anyone.

I ommited a "maybe" answer to get a better outlook. Use whatever criteria for alcoholism that you like.
Its very prevalent. Many people are functioning alcoholics who will undoubtedly answer "no".

Its very prevalent. Many people are functioning alcoholics who will undoubtedly answer "no".
Could you elaborate? Do you know many functioning alcoholics?

The term is way overused. Especially by actual alcoholics.

I drink a ton because I like it. But I don't have to have a drink today. Or tomorrow. And it never interferes with something I have to do.

I imagine that's similar to a lot of people. But unfortunately, the term "alcoholic" often becomes synonymous with "drinks a lot."

I drink a ton because I like it. But I don't have to have a drink today. Or tomorrow. And it never interferes with something I have to do.

I imagine that's similar to a lot of people. But unfortunately, the term "alcoholic" often becomes synonymous with "drinks a lot."
Agree. I think what moves the needle for me is when it begins to adversely affect your personal and/or worklife.

Agree. I think what moves the needle for me is when it begins to adversely affect your personal and/or worklife.
Its my experience lately that they having an effect in both areas but only slightly.

I was very hungover at work today but still busted my hump and got things done. I have done this frequently over the last couple of months.

Im not sure where that puts me....

I have a drink or two most days. But not more than that usually. I haven't been legally drunk in over three years. Not stumble down drunk in more than a decade.

I've taken up cheap wine (the $10/gallon type) because it's not bad and dark red is supposed to be healthier.

I found myself considering putting vodka in oj this morning. The other day I thought about Irish cream in my coffee at 8am. Didn't do either.

I've had a six pack at work, took me over a week to drink it and didn't open any bottles until after we closed.

So no, but there are signs of which to be aware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read the book: The easy way to control alcohol by Allen Carr. It works for many. Changes the way you think about alcohol.

I went through a period in my early 20's when I couldn't fall asleep, only pass out. I certainly had a dependence issue.

I really don't even like having a couple of drinks now. I feel it the next day and it disrupts my sleep.

I typically have a beer or two almost every day, but it doesn't seem to be causing any life problems for me, so I don't think I can fairly be characterized as an alcoholic. However, I did attend an alcohol-free Christmas party at my step-grandmother's house last week, which was even more painful than I was expecting it to be. But I think that is probably a normal reaction to having to interact with extended quasi-family members without booze.

I typically have a beer or two almost every day, but it doesn't seem to be causing any life problems for me, so I don't think I can fairly be characterized as an alcoholic. However, I did attend an alcohol-free Christmas party at my step-grandmother's house last week, which was even more painful than I was expecting it to be. But I think that is probably a normal reaction to having to interact with extended quasi-family members without booze.
Adult alcohol free parties are unthinkable and oppressive to invitees.

Went through a "alcoholic " stretch when I was younger.. was living with a bunch a friends near Frat row at the University of Minnesota. We had a keg outside the door 7 days a week.. I'd come home from work, fill my mug and :banned: till I went to bed.. wake up have a quick Red eye .. go to work... repeat..

Then for some unknown reason I didn't drink for one full day... woke up the next day with the worst hangover of my life .. I then realized it was taking two days for my system to catchup .. moved out a month later and stayed sober for the next 6 months..

I still have a drink here and there(I make my own wine also) but am happy to say I've only been drunk once in the past 27 years :thumbup:

This post makes me want to drink more lol

I can go week or two without drinking pretty easily... Don't usually drink unless out. So not in the "have to drink" sense.

I do binge hard when out or at events.. Often killing 5-10-15 drinks.. So probably in that sense.

I don't miss work or have serious other impacts on my life as a result of drinking (aside from wasting money) so maybe not in that sense.

This post makes me want to drink more lol
The step-grandmother is really religious and is apparently an artifact of the temperance movement. I was praying that Jesus himself would show up and start zapping some water into beer like we were partying in Cana. That woman needs to re-read the Book of John.

I answered yes. I don't drink during the week (I don't recommend this but I've lost a lot of weight) but tend to overindulge on weekends.

I answered yes. I don't drink during the week (I don't recommend this but I've lost a lot of weight) but tend to overindulge on weekends.
You aren't an alcoholic.
I left out the part where over Labor Day weekend I blacked out one night (morning) and ended up sleeping outside in public for about six hours. Avoided arrest and getting mugged/beaten up but didn't feel too good about myself. And I ended up having a few drinks the next day.

#### it - I'm stopping by the bar on the way home from work :banned:

You can have a 'drinking problem' without being an 'alcoholic'. To me the term alcoholic refers to someone who can't control their drinking (keeps drinking until they are pass out drunk). Someone with a drinking problem may be able to control the amount they drink (not get pass out drunk) but drinking dominates their free time.

I don't have the stamina. A couple of binge days for whatever reason - Vegas, Vacation with big group, etc where drinks are pretty much going on all day - and then I'm done for a while.

I was for many years, abused the hell out of it. Stopped for a bit and started again but in moderation. Didn't think that was possible but it's working for me.

I like to have a weed cookie at night, which tends to curb the desire to drink. Sucks trying to play chess when you're stoned though.

I like to have a weed cookie at night, which tends to curb the desire to drink. Sucks trying to play chess when you're stoned though.
You just need to find an opponent that's also high. Set up the FFA stoned chess tournament and I'm in. Rules are you're not allowed to make a move if you're not stoned.

You can have a 'drinking problem' without being an 'alcoholic'. To me the term alcoholic refers to someone who can't control their drinking (keeps drinking until they are pass out drunk). Someone with a drinking problem may be able to control the amount they drink (not get pass out drunk) but drinking dominates their free time.
The alcoholic is the person that drinking dominates their free time. They are dependent on it and think about it when they aren't drinking.

Terms like chemically dependent or substance abuser sound so negative. I prefer to think of myself as party enabled.

The alcoholic is the person that drinking dominates their free time. They are dependent on it and think about it when they aren't drinking.
Many times when I drink I'm thinking about things I'd rather be doing, like playing guitar. But at those times, playing guitar is unrealistic. Since that's all I really want to do, maybe drinking numbs the urge.

I was for many years, abused the hell out of it. Stopped for a bit and started again but in moderation. Didn't think that was possible but it's working for me.
:yes: pretty much me... 90% of the time I went out to a party or bar I ended up passing out, puking or worst yet both.. once I started I rarely knew when to stop until I was past the point of no return..Now days I'll have a bloody Mary or two.. or have a beer or two.. or a couple glasses of wine.. in the past those "ors" would have been "ands"... and as I mentioned above... only been drunk once in the past 27 years..

If you think loving booze and lonely women is a vice, save me a seat in hell. I took a couple of weeks off in December and it was awful. I wouldn't wish sobriety on my worst enemy.

Users who are viewing this thread