What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ask Rob Rang Questions Here (1 Viewer)

David Dodds

Administrator
Folks,

Rob Rang, NFL Draft Expert, will be on the website for 60 to 90 minutes Tuesday April 11th starting at 8:00 pm ET to talk about the NFL Draft, your team's specific needs, etc.

Please list your questions here.

The Footballguys.com staff will continually feed questions to Rob Rang from these questions in another thread to be named right later.

David

Here is a chat he did last week for USAToday: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...opic=234569&hl=

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob Rang, one of the foremost Draft Experts in the country, is the Senior Draft analyst for NFLDraftScout.com. Prior to that, Rob was the Owner and Editor of Westcoastdraft.com for many years. First recognized by SportsTALK.com (now a component of ESPN Insider), Rob's work has been featured in print, radio, internet, and television networks across the country. USA Today, ESPN, FOX, The Sporting News, MSNBC, AOL, and CBS Sportsline are among those who have all featured elements of Rob's work in the past.Based in Gig Harbor, Washington, Rob has quickly become a fixture at the elite scouting events held all over the country each year - including the East-West Shrine Game, Senior Bowl, NFL Combine, and numerous Pro Day workouts.
:blackdot:

Which player does he think the Oakland Raiders are most likely to select?

If he has time, maybe a quick mock of how he sees the first 7 to 10 picks going off the board.

How big of a drop off does he see in terms of OL - specifically after D'Brickshaw, Winston Justice.. are the guys like Marcus McNeill, Jon Scott and Eric Winston (with the injury concern) really close??

Follow up... which one of these guys does he see in a Cowboy uniform.

I have a question about the Broncos!

At the end of last year I was intrigued by the play of Wesley Duke. When they passed on re-signing Jeb Putzier, I thought the Broncos were also sold on Duke. Now, I found him playing in NFL Europe, which is a clear indication for me, that he will not play much in the NFL this year.

So, what do you think is the plan in Denver? Packing picks to trade with San Fran to get Davis? Or is there a hidden gem in their TE-roster?

Do most scouts believe Vince Young has the "read and react" capability to succeed at the pro level?

Of the past or present NFL runningbacks who does Reggie Bush most remind you of?

Which middle to late-round runningback has the best chance of surpassing expectations at the pro level?

Every year there are players who are thought to have first round talent that fall to the second round. This year which players do you see falling to the second round that many believe will go in the first, and who are the players that are going to knock them out of the first round?

The Pats have been quiet - even by the Patriots' standards. Are they saving all that cap money to move up in the draft, or to re-sign Seymour and Branch?

The Jets hold the key as to how the rest of the draft will unfold (Presuming Bush, Ferguson & Leinart go 1, 2, 3)

Will they take the 2nd QB (either Cutler or Young), Mario Williams, Hawk or someone else or will they succeed in trading up to 2?

Being a Pats fan who follows them very closely I'm constantly amazed by the fact they always seem to make moves no one sees coming (Pats fans included). Whether it's letting players like Milloy, AV or Willie go, signing free agents like Colvin or Harrison a few years ago or drafting (seemingly out of nowhere) guys in the first round like Mankins and Watson recently they never fail to surprise. I know BB and Pioli pride themselves on shielding themselves as much as possible from the media and they do as good a job as can be done in a media market like Boston.

So, my question is...how do guys like yourself predict what the Pats will do? Do you wing it or are their sources out in medialand that are piped in? Taking this question to another level how much of the pre-draft NFL rumors that you hear right now are BS and how many have teeth...and how do you differentiate among them?

IF TENN takes a QB, would it be the USC matchup with Leinart or do they take Young? Which would be more successful at TEN?

This, of course, is if no one jumps in front of them with the NOS.

With the Giants in desperate need of an OLB and this Lavar Arington issue lingering on what do you think the chances are that they may trade up to aquire a top OLB as in AJ Hawk to close Ernie Accorsis legacy and possible last year as GM?

A) Bloom and I (and even Matt Waldman) have all drank the Brandon Marshall koolaid. I'd like Rang's opinion on Marshall-- a realistic projection that includes what those of us so high on him are missing.B) Jerious Norwood. Better YPC than Addai with a lesser line and the same schedule. Great speed, good size, great hands, great kid, good burst up the middle, dangerous outside-- Why no love for this guy?

Lions - there's a lot of talk about them drafting Michael Huff, but with their needs at QB, weakness on the offensive line, especially RT, and Marinelli's background as a DL coach, what are your thoughts on the Lions draft plans? In the 1st, and overall.

What do you think the Broncos will do with their 2 1st rounders? Are they going to package them and trade up for someone or if they stand with what they have, who do you think they will select at 15 and 22?

Lions - there's a lot of talk about them drafting Michael Huff, but with their needs at QB, weakness on the offensive line, especially RT, and Marinelli's background as a DL coach, what are your thoughts on the Lions draft plans? In the 1st, and overall.
Magic Eightball says WR for the Lions in Round one... :yes:

I think the Steelers will go after a FS early. How do you rate the free safeties and which would best pair with Polamalu?

Also, where do you see a personal favority of mine going - Maurice Drew?

Having picked up 4 compensatory picks, the Ravens have a bevy of 2nd day selections (8), while only 2 day 1, having used this years 3rd to acquire Adam Terry in last year's draft....

everyone would love to "trade down"....what is the likelyhood Baltimore moves back in round 1, to get a 3rd day 1 pick?

If that isn't possible, who at 13 do you like for the Ravens?

And what day 2 QB's top your list?

TIA

Everyone's talking WR/DL/OL for the Eagles. Given Andy Reid's history for drafting for his needs in the future, is there any chance he picks safety in the first round? (Three of the Eagles top safeties after free agents after '06).

Icy Pots, Rob. Since they don't have a first round pick, we've heard practically nothing about the Redskins' upcoming draft. Which players do you see them looking for in the draft? Also, what do you think about the prospects of Lloyd and Randle El to succeed in that offense?

As a Dominic Rhodes owner in a keeper league, I'm highly interested in the Colts. I know the prevailing wisdom is that they're taking an RB in the first round. My question is what do you think their goals with the pick are? Are they looking for someone to come in and start? Do they view Rhodes as the starter and whomever they draft as someone who will start for them later this year or next year? Also, do you know of anyone specific they have their eye on, and if so, how good do they think he can be and how fast.

Thanks.

How does he rank the 2nd tier Qb's after the big 3 as well as the 2nd tier running backs after "the big 3".

How much does Rob feel the Ram;s poor drafting the last several years has hurt them, and what does he expect from them this year? What areas do they need to target?

Jay Cutler enthusiasm has waned over the past month; once projected as a top-5 pick, I am now hearing he could drop out of the top 10.

Where are the hot spots for Cutler to drop to?

Rob,

The Saints have 2 solid DEs in Charles Grant and Will Smith, a new QB with a repaired shoulder in Drew Brees, a outstanding RB with a repaired knee in Deuce McAllister, and they lost their pro bowl center L'Charles Bentley and their starting LT Wayne Gandy this offseason. Why in the world does it seem like all of the experts are predicting the Saints to draft Mario Williams? Isn't it obvoius that the OL is a much bigger need than another DE? Is Mario Williams that much more of an impact player that D'Brickshaw Ferguson?

Follow-up - I think everyone expects N.O. to trade down in hopes of still getting one of the following guys: D'Brick, Mario, or Hawk. If the Saints don't get a trade offer they are satisfied with on draft day, is there any chance they draft Lienart and then trade him moments later, ala San Diego/Manning?

Thanks.

The Vikings have several 1st day picks, do you see them trying to slide up to get one of the top 3 QB's or staying put and drafting for needs like LB and Safety and drafting a QB after Rd. 2?

Since the Cardinals picked up edge, and our wideouts are good, do they draft OL or a QB, I dont think Warner is the right person?

Kansas City in the house!

Considering that the Chiefs lost Al Saunders and now have Herm Edwards as HC I am expecting to see a much more conservative offense and more focus on defense.

With KC @ the 20 spot, do you think a top notch CB like Tye Hill will fall or do they look elsewhere for help on that side of the ball?

The Chiefs are an aging offense and will need to start rebuilding @ QB, WR and FB.

Thanks,

chachmaster

Hi Rob,

Can you give a quick rundown and highlights of the top skill position prospects in the 2007 draft for those of us looking ahead to next year?

Thanks,

spOOfy

:popcorn:

Which colleges best prepare their players for the combine/pro day/draft? Typically, who throws the best or most anticipated pro day?

For IDP...

What is your opinion of Ala DE Mark Anderson? Solid, but unspectacular or two-way player with good upside?

Other than Ernie Sims in Minnesota, have you heard rumblings on any other smaller, quicker LBs that interest the new Tampa-2 teams?

Who can the Lions expect to realistically fall to them at #9? Is a trade-down scenario a distinct possibility and with whom for us to stockpile more picks and fill more hole with quality bodies? Thanks for your input!! :thumbup:

How far in the draft do you feel LenDale White has fallen due immaturity and his poor performance at the combine? Do the Steelers have a shot at him at the last pick in the 1st round?

The Bears, up until the past week or two, seemed to be locked in on either a TE or a CB in Round 1. Has that changed, and are they looking at a WR or LB in Round 1 ? If so, which WR (in particular) best suits their needs, would the best fit for their team ?

As a Dominic Rhodes owner in a keeper league, I'm highly interested in the Colts. I know the prevailing wisdom is that they're taking an RB in the first round. My question is what do you think their goals with the pick are? Are they looking for someone to come in and start? Do they view Rhodes as the starter and whomever they draft as someone who will start for them later this year or next year? Also, do you know of anyone specific they have their eye on, and if so, how good do they think he can be and how fast.

Thanks.
My question is more basic: Is it a lock that the Colts will go RB in round 1? If so, I am trading Rhodes in my keeper league asap... I have a hunch they go defence with their first pick.

Is Jay Cutler another Giovanni Carmazzi & J P Losman (Philip Rivers?)?

Draft stock soared rapidly and were taken much higher than expected and in the case of Carmazzi definitely & Losman probably, the team that took the risk got stiffed

What are the chances the Bears trade up to get V Davis or another tight end 1st round?

Who might the Bears draft that will make an impact this year or be a steal when developed for the future?

Between A.J. Hawk (LB, Ohio St.) and Vernon Davis (TE, Maryland), which one:

A) Should have a bigger impact as a rookie?

B) Which one looks to have the potential for a long-term multi-Pro Bowl career?

Assuming, of course, proper fit with team, no injuries, etc.

What positions do you see the Panthers addressing with their first day picks?

I have generally been a fan of Marty Hurney and some of his drafts, but how did they miss so badly with Eric Shelton last year? Or does Shelton still have a chance to make it this year?

As a Clemson grad, I'd like to know where Rob sees Tye Hill, Charlie Whitehurst, and Charles Bennett are likely to be drafted.

Thanks

I got 2 questions, you can use both or the best one:

1. In your opinion which running back coming out has the best best hands, or is the best receiver out of the backfield.

2. When all this is said and done this 2006 tight end class might be the best and deepest ever, we all know Vernon Davis is the class of the group. But how do you rate the next tier, and out of that group who do you see making the biggest impact out of the group of Pope, Byrd, Lewis, Fasano, Day, Thomas, Klopenstein etc....

For the cleveland Browns, with the additions of LeCharles Bentley and Kevin Shaffer from Atlanta on the offensive line, and Willie McGinest and Ted Washington on the defensive front, which direction to you see the Browns going with their first pick in the 2006 draft?

Do you see them adding another Def lineman or linebacker, do you see them going for another O-lineman, or surprising everyone and grabbing a skills position player? :football:

Hey Guys,

Keep it up. Great questions. We're stoked to have Rob here tonight and your questions will drive this thing.

:thumbup:

J

We all know about the "Blue Chip" prospects in the draft that should go very early (Reggie Bush, Mario Williams, AJ Hawk, D Brick, Vernon Davis, maybe Winston Justice), some of whom will go very high because they are QB's (Leinart, Young, Cutler). But whom do you consider to be in the next group of "Red Chip" prospects, the next tier? Can you name these players and if you haven't said anything about them, give a brief summation sentence or two as to why they are a cut above the talent we'll see later in Round One and Round Two? For instance do you see 8 or 9 Blue Chippers and then 8 or 9 Red Chippers before the talent drop off? Of the Red Chippers, which prospects do you see the most likelihood in dropping in the draft and why? Are there teams drafting high in Round One after the Blue Chippers are gone who will ignore a Red Chipper because they'll draft for need instead of best player available?

Thanks Rob! Always enjoy reading your stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread