What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AT40 - This Week In 1972 (1 Viewer)

Uruk-Hai

Footballguy
40. "When You Say Love" - Sonny & Cher

Didn't Budweiser steal this for their '70s commercials? Or was it the other way around?

Anyway, it sucks.

38. "This World" - Staple Singers

Pops Staples was 109 years old and better than 99.99999999999999999999% of the guitar players who ever lived. Mavis, as always, is in fine voice here.

36. "How Do You Do" - Mouth & McNeal

This is a truly weird record. And God forbid your 10 year old hears it, because you'll be hearing it shouted around your house for days to come. At least, you will if you're my mother and it's 1972 :bag:

39. "Nights In White Satin" - Moody Blues

This record defines "slow & steady wins the race"
Breathe deep the gathering gloom
Early 70s music invades every room
Sonny & Cher look back and lament
Another day's useless energy spent
British Invaders wrestle as one;
Fat Elvis cries for love and has none
Mudshark groupie suckles her son
All '50s black rockers wish they were young

33. "Play Me" - Neil Diamond

This was a big hit, but it's the side of Neil I like the least - he's trying to be too poetic and the music is sludge. I love Neil, but this record can disappear & I'd love him more.

Breathe deep the gathering gloom
Early 70s music invades every room
Sonny & Cher look back and lament
Another day's useless energy spent
British Invaders wrestle as one;
Fat Elvis cries for love and has none
Mudshark groupie suckles her son
All '50s black rockers wish they were young
And Timothy Leary is still dead.

31. "Where Is The Love" - Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway

I'm not sure how it happened, but Hathaway has gotten lost when folks talk about the greatest singers. He didn't have many pop hits (another mystery), but his albums are chock-full of amazing music. Great bandleader, too.

Oh, Ms Flack could sing a little too. A little mannered sometimes for my taste, but she lets it go here.

One of the great early '70s 45s

31. "Where Is The Love" - Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway

I'm not sure how it happened, but Hathaway has gotten lost when folks talk about the greatest singers. He didn't have many pop hits (another mystery), but his albums are chock-full of amazing music. Great bandleader, too.

Oh, Ms Flack could sing a little too. A little mannered sometimes for my taste, but she lets it go here.

One of the great early '70s 45s
Hathaway was Amy Winehouse's favorite soul singer. I've given him quite a youtube re-listen once i heard that and he shonuff shoulda got more love.

My HS gf is still my best female friend. Our first nekkid group hot tub experience was weirdly uncomfortable and me & Betsy broke the tension by singing Where Is the Love back & forth. We've hot-tubbed several hundred times since and have never let the experience go by without singing it (we added Peaches & Herb's "Reunited" and Donna Summer's "baby, plz" a decade later).

Last edited by a moderator:
29. "Small Beginnings" - Flash

I don't recall this at all. Starts like "Pinball Wizard" then goes.....somewhere else?

@wikkidpissah you remember these guys?
Yeah, the avg prog guys' routine in those days was to spend hours in record stores reading the musician listings on the back of the myriad albums w psychedelic art and buy it if they recognized any names. Bought a lot a bad albums as a result (i remember owning Foreigner's 1st album before anyone, only because ex-Crimson/Zappa multiinstrumentalist Ian Mac Donald was on it), including these Pete Bests of Yes. Steve Howe-for-Pete Banks was the best musician replacement in music history by a mile.

26. "Sealed With A Kiss" - Bobby Vinton

Vinton was a no-talent hack who, I think, had the last #1 before the Beatles hit. Then, when he was even less relevant in the '70s, he started doing remakes and polka songs. And putting them even HIGHER on the charts. I haven't figured it out completely yet, but I'm pretty sure this is how we got Trump.

This is the "best" of Vinton's awfulness

24. "Baby Let Me Take You In My Arms" - Detroit Emeralds

A great mid-tempo lost single from this era. Eddie Kendricks stole it - and sped it up - for "Keep On Truckin'"

26. "Sealed With A Kiss" - Bobby Vinton

Vinton was a no-talent hack who, I think, had the last #1 before the Beatles hit. Then, when he was even less relevant in the '70s, he started doing remakes and polka songs. And putting them even HIGHER on the charts. I haven't figured it out completely yet, but I'm pretty sure this is how we got Trump.

This is the "best" of Vinton's awfulness
I've done a lot of drinking @ VFW halls because, as a fan of various potions which keep one up all night, they're the earliest-opening bars in most towns. As a result, i made a lot of friends who invited me to drink with them at more socially-acceptable times. And i swear, every '70-80s VFW houseband was fronted by a guy who lifted Vinton's polka-and-slowdance routine intact as his own.

23. "Honky Cat" - Elton John

THERE'S Elton! I bet Al Green's coming soon, too. '72/'73, you couldn't find a countdown without those two in it.

22. "Power Of Love" - Joe Simon

God bless Joe - he was almost single-handedly keeping southern soul singing alive at this point. 

21. "Happiest Girl In The Whole USA" - Donna Fargo

The Diana Ross of Country - she could zero in on a note that would make the hair on the back of your neck stand up, man. The song is dumb as hell, but Fargo overrrides all of the shtick of the arrangement.

19. "Join Together" - The Who

The closest they ever got to funk. Figures, since Moon/Entwhistle carry it

18. "Beautiful Sunday" - Daniel Boone

I loved this record when I was 10.

I'm 56 now. It's dumb. I still love it.

14. "Black And White" - 3 Dog Night

The most underrated band of the '70s. You NEVER see these guys in any "rock history" books, except as something to be better than. #### that. They made great records. This one is far from my favorite, but I'd listen to 7,000 outtakes of it to any ELP sonic fart.

14. "Black And White" - 3 Dog Night

The most underrated band of the '70s. You NEVER see these guys in any "rock history" books, except as something to be better than. #### that. They made great records. This one is far from my favorite, but I'd listen to 7,000 outtakes of it to any ELP sonic fart.
Their hits were all ubiquitous earworms and i hated em for that, even when i wanted to like them for covering Laura Nyro songs

11. "Guitar Man" - Bread

Welp.... A bunch of session pros - hopefully - got rich off of this one. Inoffensive pablum.

10. "Backstabbers" - O'Jays

The most ominous opening piano line in rock history. And the record gets better! It's paranoid and frightening and both leads sing the #### out of it.

This is what the world sounded like in 1972 (except for Yes & ELP fans)

10. "Backstabbers" - O'Jays

The most ominous opening piano line in rock history. And the record gets better! It's paranoid and frightening and both leads sing the #### out of it.

This is what the world sounded like in 1972 (except for Yes & ELP fans)
They smile in your face/all the time they wanna take your place. 

9. "Rock & Roll Part 2" - Gary Glitter

How to talk about this one these days? The singer is a pedophile. It's the basis of Maryland's "YOU SUCK" cheer. 

6. "Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me" - Mac Davis

I wonder if there was a population spike in '73 by folks who gravitated to dive bars after this came out.

5. "Hold Your Head Up" - Argent

The lyrics are hippie-pop/Stevie/McCartney pablum, but the organ and whoever that lunatic in the background is singing "AAAHHH" makes the record.

Users who are viewing this thread