What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

B. Leftwich out 4-6 weeks, according to ESPN (1 Viewer)

MrNiceGuy

Footballguy
CONGRATS TO MrNiceGuy for being all over a scoop here, and props to PFT for getting something right on the money; we certainly bash them for all the times they report something inaccurate.

Anyway, here's a link from ESPN http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1914640 which verifies that Leftwich is out 4-6 weeks.
From ProFootballTalk.com, so take it with a grain of salt. Just wondering if someone has heard anything else about this.LINK

LEFTWICH DONE FOR THE YEAR?

A league source says Jacksonville quarterback Byron Leftwich could be done for the year after suffering an injury in Sunday's loss to the Texans.

The source didn't specify the injury, but another league insider tells us that Leftwich was limping on Monday.

If the 4-3 Jags lose Leftwich, the starter will be David Garrard, a player whom some in the organization think has greater potential than Leftwich, since the second-year pro from Marshall has limited mobility. Garrard is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after the season, so this could be his Scott Mitchell/Rob Johnson chance to parlay a couple of months of games into a long-term contract elsewhere.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Garrard owner in MANY dynasty leagues, I would enjoy that a lot.HOWEVER, Its hard to not criticize the source since Garrard is NOT an UFA, as his contract is thru 2005.

Speculation was that the Jags would try to shop Garrard prior to the upcoming NFL draft rather than losing him to free-agency after next year. I'm surprised that he and Volek didn't get more love this year when teams were scroungin' around for QB help.

I don't believe it but Leftwich had a broken leg twice in college. Hope it's not true because the guy is a great competitor.

It was posted on the site at 9:54 AM ET. I think (HOPE) we would have heard more by now if it was true. Hell after getting clobbered I'd hope he'd be walking with a limp.I know he came out for a few plays but went back in and finished the game.

I am currently starting leftwich.Should i be freaking out and trying to do some pre-mass news trades, as I currently am? -Todd

the thread subject should include a sub-title or the word RUMOR in it somewhere as to not mislead the masses into mass hysteria.

currently sweating bullets and online attempting to swing some semireasonable trades....everyone feel free to let us leftwich owners (starters!) know when you have good (or bad) news. Thanks! :confused: -Todd

Those guys are about 50/50 on their "rumours". They've hit on some and missed wildly on others. But, if they're "reporting" it, it does deserve a little attention.

According to NFLPA.org his contract runs through 2005So I wonder about the information posted. I do respect profootballtalk.com though.

These guys must be the Enquirer of football. Btw, did you hear about Red Grange making a comeback? He's still alive and living with Elvis somewhere out in Idaho. ;)

Btw, did you hear about Red Grange making a comeback? He's still alive and living with Elvis somewhere out in Idaho. ;)
Yes, but they aren't interested in football anymore. After Ted Kaczynski went to prison, both Grange and Elvis now run the family business. :shock:

Btw, did you hear about Red Grange making a comeback? He's still alive and living with Elvis somewhere out in Idaho. ;)
Yes, but they aren't interested in football anymore. After Ted Kaczynski went to prison, both Grange and Elvis now run the family business. :shock:
Elvis:"Hey Red, you mind tossing me a couple of those blasting caps, and print me out $3.60 on the postal machine....thank you Red, ........thank you very much."

Btw, did you hear about Red Grange making a comeback?  He's still alive and living with Elvis somewhere out in Idaho. ;)
Elvis:"Hey Red, you mind tossing me a couple of those blasting caps, and print me out $3.60 on the postal machine....thank you Red, ........thank you very much."
:rotflmao:

This is all I've seen about it

Nov. 2 Byron Leftwich (QB) Jac exited Sunday's game for two plays with an undisclosed leg injury, according to the Florida Times-Union. Afterward, he said the injury wasn't severe enough to keep him out very long. He'll get to rest it this week, as the Jags are on their bye.

JAGUARS NOTEBOOK: Leftwich decided he was healthy By BART HUBBUCH, The Times-Union The Jaguars have become Byron Leftwich's team to the point that the second-year quarterback now decides when he goes into the game. Coach Jack Del Rio admitted as much Monday, revealing that Leftwich -- with no oversight from the coaching staff -- decided to put himself back on the field after a brief injury absence just before halftime in Sunday's 20-6 loss to the Houston Texans. Leftwich had been knocked out of the game by an injury to his left leg with 1:17 left in the half, allowing backup David Garrard to make his first appearance of the season. "Two plays into David directing the offense, Byron jogged on the field and David came off,'' Del Rio said. "It was a pretty good indicator that Byron was back. That's exactly how it went down.'' Leftwich was unavailable for comment Monday as the Jaguars (5-3) began their bye week, but he said after Sunday's loss that the injury wasn't severe enough to keep him out very long. "I was scared in the beginning, but it was something I got over quickly,'' Leftwich said. "I'll be healthy by the next game [Nov. 14 against Detroit].''

I remember watching the hit that he got hurt on and thinking that his knee was bent awkwardly in the wrong direction. He did come out in the second half with a brace on the knee.This is something worth watching because as we know with knee injuries sometimes they are more severe than they look as far as a player walking around on it afterwards. With Leftwich being the tough character that he is, it wouldn't surprise me if he turned out to be seriously injured, he just worked his way through the pain.

OK, take with this a grain of salt, BUT,I forwarded the profootballtalk story to a bunch of coworkers. One apparently knows somebody who knows somebody that works at Alltel Stadium that said that Leftwich went in for an MRI last last night and the results aren't back yet.I'm not saying this is gospel truth but look out for more info today and tomorrow.

OK, take with this a grain of salt, BUT,I forwarded the profootballtalk story to a bunch of coworkers. One apparently knows somebody who knows somebody that works at Alltel Stadium that said that Leftwich went in for an MRI last last night and the results aren't back yet.I'm not saying this is gospel truth but look out for more info today and tomorrow.
Did that same person also say that Ferris Bueller is really sick?

I should've known better than to actually share some info.The only reason I bothered to post it all was because the email that the coworker forwarded back to me came from xxxxx@nfl.jaguars.com.

OK, take with this a grain of salt, BUT,I forwarded the profootballtalk story to a bunch of coworkers.  One apparently knows somebody who knows somebody that works at Alltel Stadium that said that Leftwich went in for an MRI last last night and the results aren't back yet.I'm not saying this is gospel truth but look out for more info today and tomorrow.
I should've known better than to actually share some info.The only reason I bothered to post it all was because the email that the coworker forwarded back to me came from xxxxx@nfl.jaguars.com.
Dude, my bad, I was just breakin' your ballz. The way you worded that just reminded me of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Bad joke, my apologies. :thumbup:

OK, take with this a grain of salt, BUT,I forwarded the profootballtalk story to a bunch of coworkers.  One apparently knows somebody who knows somebody that works at Alltel Stadium that said that Leftwich went in for an MRI last last night and the results aren't back yet.I'm not saying this is gospel truth but look out for more info today and tomorrow.
Thanks Jaxbill.Posts like yours are what makes this place the best.I'm hearing the same reports outside of profootballtalk.com.At this point, I'm treating it as a RUMOR but I'm putting it way up on the radar screen. This would be huge news with the way Leftwich has been playing. Also huge for guys needing a QB as I like Garrard.We'll see.J

Dude, my bad, I was just breakin' your ballz. The way you worded that just reminded me of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Bad joke, my apologies. :thumbup:
Jocks, motorheads, stoners, sl*ts, bloods, dweebies, brains and d*ckheads" all think that "JaxBill is a righteous dude.

Any other source and I'm freaking out right now! The story comes to a conclusion that he is lost for the year and supports it only with a limp? In this day and age of technology does it really take this long to get an MRI back if it was taken? The bye week may have something to do with it but until I see ANY other legit site with this info I am calling BS!

In this day and age of technology does it really take this long to get an MRI back if it was taken? The bye week may have something to do with it but until I see ANY other legit site with this info I am calling BS!
Hey, this is Florida. It takes us months to figure out an election.With the bye week, the Jags are in no rush to release injury info. The league won't require a game status until next Wednesday. They won't practice until tomorrow at the earliest.

Any other source and I'm freaking out right now! The story comes to a conclusion that he is lost for the year and supports it only with a limp? In this day and age of technology does it really take this long to get an MRI back if it was taken? The bye week may have something to do with it but until I see ANY other legit site with this info I am calling BS!
Hi kid,As I told the FBG subscribers in the email this morning, you have to factor in that the Jags are on a bye week. This means the injury won't be handled normally as they can take their time on this. There won't be a big red flag that he missed practice tomorrow for instance. I'm calling it a rumor but definitely not BS at this point. Is it true? I dunno. But I'm still moving it up to the top of the radar.J

The only article I found that mentions injuries from the game does not mention Leftwich AT ALL. Below is the only paragraph that talks about the injuries. Rest of the article is about how well the Jaguars have been playing up to this point. Bye week or not, I would think there would at least be a mention that he left the game with some kind of an injury if this was true. Hope is alive.:leftwichowner:

Taylor sustained a hip pointer early in the second quarter against Houston and did not return. The running game also has been slowed by other injuries. Left tackle Mike Pearson (knee) is out for the season, tight end Kyle Brady missed the first five games following finger surgery and guards Vince Manuwai and Chris Naeole have been slowed by nagging injuries.
Linkedit: changed link to a more credible source (same article).

At this point, I'm treating it as a RUMOR but I'm putting it way up on the radar screen. This would be huge news with the way Leftwich has been playing. Also huge for guys needing a QB as I like Garrard.
I don't wish any injury to Leftwich, but as a ECU alumnus, it would be nice to see Garrard be able to showcase his skills. He was so good when he was at ECU. The last college game Garrard played in was in the GMAC bowl against Marshall, which was led by Leftwich. That was the highest scoring college bowl game in history. 64-61.

Thanks Jaxbill.Posts like yours are what makes this place the best.I'm hearing the same reports outside of profootballtalk.com.At this point, I'm treating it as a RUMOR but I'm putting it way up on the radar screen. This would be huge news with the way Leftwich has been playing. Also huge for guys needing a QB as I like Garrard.We'll see.J
Where else? I hope there's no announcement until after 7 tonight. Moves are locked until then. Of course, I really hope there's nothing wrong with Lefty, but I'd like to stash Garrard on the bench just in case. And picking up Garrard will send a panic to the Lefty owner. That alone should be a little fun.

Something I learned in a physical therapy class long ago and sports injuries I've seen (you have too) comes to mind. One of the clues of a severe injury is the person trying to "get away" from the damaged part. After Byron's knee got twisted and he cleared the pile, he was in the sitting position and he scooted backwards a few feet, away from the injured knee. IMO, not a good sign.

I thought he could play through anything as long as his O-line carried him? Please don't make me rely on Hasselbust from here on out...

Well, Leftwich has done very well for me thus far, though I got Big Ben in a trade last week. Glad now I did. My other QB used to be Delhomme.

Something I learned in a physical therapy class long ago and sports injuries I've seen (you have too) comes to mind. One of the clues of a severe injury is the person trying to "get away" from the damaged part. After Byron's knee got twisted and he cleared the pile, he was in the sitting position and he scooted backwards a few feet, away from the injured knee. IMO, not a good sign.
I've never though about this, but it makes sense. In my one serious leg injury, I remember falling to the ground and then rolling back and moving backwards a lot...just was a natural reaction.

In this day and age of technology does it really take this long to get an MRI back if it was taken? The bye week may have something to do with it but until I see ANY other legit site with this info I am calling BS!
Hey, this is Florida. It takes us months to figure out an election.With the bye week, the Jags are in no rush to release injury info. The league won't require a game status until next Wednesday. They won't practice until tomorrow at the earliest.
Had I known this yesterday I would have been able to talk to Kyle Brady about it. He came into one of our restaurants yesterday afternoon after what must have been a visit to the hospital for more treatment on that staph infection.. He had an IV needle hanging out of his arm but was hungry enough to come in and get a couple of milkshakes and a large fry. HUGE guy

Users who are viewing this thread