What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bathroom remodel (1 Viewer)

Big remodel? Are you doing it yourself?
Big remodel of my kids bathroom upstairs. No - not doing it myself. New tub, electrical, new toilet, new medicine cabinets, new lights, new exhaust, new paint, new tile floor, tile around tub, all new fixtures, new vanity - going from one sink to two. Shared by my two teenage sons.

Quoted me 9-10 days. At 15 now with at least two more to go, but a day revisit when a different shower door comes in.

i ordered the vanity and shower door on Wayfair and had the contractor look over what I was ordering before I ordered it to make sure everything would work. I'll come back to that.

I have an office I can go to but can thankfully work from home which I choose to do while they're in the house working. 

First day during demo, they cut through the water line with a sawz all (sp?) and I hear an "oh s@@t!" They holler at me to turn the water off, which is in the basement. I'm on the main level so I run downstairs to turn it off, come back upstairs and there's water pouring out of my ceiling onto my kitchen island and floor. 

2nd day, plumber was there to install tub. A-ok there, but I called attention to the new vanity having two sinks as opposed to the currently centered single water lines. Plumber tells me the contractor is only having him do the tub. I ask the contractor's guys and they say they'll split it off later. I say ok.

They get all the drywall done, tile done, painting done etc.. Looking good and then they take the vanity out of the Wayfair packing and see that they can't split the water lines. There are drawers there. So they've got to cut a large hole in my wall, cap the original plumbing, and completely redo the plumbing to allow for the two sinks. They want to leave this large hole in my wall saying you can't see it because it's hidden by the vanity. Well, you can if you open the door on the vanity - big time. So I say no, it needs dry walled and painted, so that's eating time. 

And then here lastly, the shower door apparently is for tiled enclosures only, not an enclosure. I have a one piece enclosure but tiled the walls above it and trimmed out the outside of it. So now I have to ship that back and temporarily use a shower curtain.

turned the hot water in the tub on a little bit ago and it gets warm, but not hot. The handle will not go as far as it needs to go. It stops half way. Will be pointing this out when they're here tomorrow.

Sorry, venting, but part of me wants to think crap like this is just how it goes - problems happen. The other part of me is thinking these guys suck and I just ended up with a bad contractor. This is about a $12k project so I don't feel like I went cheap.

Anyway....

Sorry, venting, but part of me wants to think crap like this is just how it goes - problems happen. The other part of me is thinking these guys suck and I just ended up with a bad contractor. This is about a $12k project so I don't feel like I went cheap.
Venting is what we're here for.

I love watching HGTV shows, so I am imagining what your remodel would be like on TV! It would have made a great episode of something.

Make sure you are documenting all of the f-ups that are happening. When it is all done, go to the contractor and maybe try to get some of the $$$ back. Did they do the repairs in the kitchen?

Hopefully the vent helped some. Keep it coming if it does!! :wall:

Absolutely a problem with the contractor.  I have done 2 minor bath remodels myself and have had a contractor do 3 (different houses).  Your contractor sucks, but unfortunately, this is not uncommon.

Following along because my next big project is to gut and redo my daughter's bathroom.. Similar circumstance.. one long vanity with one sink.. 4 teenage daughters..

I want to replace everything.. tub/shower, toilet, flooring, vanity, fixtures and go from one sink to two...or hell, three.. lol.. or a 48" long sink "trough" 

Absolutely a problem with the contractor.  I have done 2 minor bath remodels myself and have had a contractor do 3 (different houses).  Your contractor sucks, but unfortunately, this is not uncommon.
Not uncommon at all. For too many they do that work not because they enjoy working with their hands and doing that type of work but because they lack the capacity or the will power or the ability to pass background on other type of work and thus went into the industry as semi-skilled labor and never advanced from the semi part.

Two years ago I had water leak from the upstairs bathroom through the ceiling in the kitchen below.  Went from replacing the ceiling in the kitchen to also replacing the counter top, sink, electrical, plumbing and a complete remodel of the bathroom upstairs along with altering a spare room next to it.

We were out of our house for a month while the work was done.  We did some of the work but hired out the rest.  I'm very lucky that my friend is a carpenter and my brother in law does plumbing and electric.  The whole thing worked out great because last year we sold our house and were able to get all that money invested back out of it.  It wasn't planned to go that way.

I was interested because I am also nearing having to redo a teen bathroom. I believe my issue has to do with stupid teen boys, rather than too many girls in the room at once.

It is a small room with a bath/shower combo and a single sink vanity. We had an issue recently with a leak that we were unable to exactly find, it bled thru the ceiling to the family room below. We believe it was due to the inside shower curtain not being properly located in the tub while the shower was on (see above about boys :wall: ). We have since had a leak due to the toilet overflowing. My fear is that there is some larger issue with the sub-floor because a toilet overflow shouldn't flow thru to the room below.

We're wondering if a need to replace part of the sub-floor will cause us to be able to replace the vanity, a constantly clogging toilet and other cosmetic changes as well.

I too have done the bathroom remodel from 1 sink to a double sink to accommodate the teenage folk living in my house - it is a pain and I am luck my BIL is handy with crap like that or I would have been screwed. Your contractor is a moron.  Good Luck!

We're hoping to put in a new vanity and shower this year. And F ups like this is what I'm worried about.

First day during demo, they cut through the water line with a sawz all (sp?) and I hear an "oh s@@t!" They holler at me to turn the water off, which is in the basement.
What would these yokels have done if you weren't there?   I'm guessing these guys didn't know where it was...

We are basically redoing our bathroom after having it done as part of a kitchen and bath remodel started last June.  Vanity is so angled back to the wall that the drawers don't stay open.  The flooring wasn't run under the cabinet but at least an inch around it that they needed to put baseboard and shoe around it.  Oh yeah, they used nice oak baseboard and shoe around a dark cherry colored vanity.

The best part was that they put the toilet paper holder where the hand towel holder was supposed to go and the hand towel holder was where the toilet paper holder was supposed to go.  I do not know how they got the roll of toilet paper on it.

This is just another example of why competent contractors can make a ton of money.  More kids should learn basic homebuilding skills such as framing, drywall, painting, and tile.  They can work with an established contractor for a few years and then go on their own to make a ton of money.   

dino259 said:
We are basically redoing our bathroom after having it done as part of a kitchen and bath remodel started last June.  Vanity is so angled back to the wall that the drawers don't stay open.  The flooring wasn't run under the cabinet but at least an inch around it that they needed to put baseboard and shoe around it.  Oh yeah, they used nice oak baseboard and shoe around a dark cherry colored vanity.

The best part was that they put the toilet paper holder where the hand towel holder was supposed to go and the hand towel holder was where the toilet paper holder was supposed to go.  I do not know how they got the roll of toilet paper on it.
:lmao:

Sorry...

What kind of kitchen damage was sustained after they made it rain?

When I have time I'll share my twin bathroom reno and the requisite "chuckles."  :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread