What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

BattleBots! It's back. (1 Viewer)

Looked like he burnt the batteries trying to spin the blade while it was jammed.
Yeah...either that or just from running them that long. That was pretty much the longest fight he had. I figured after the Witch Doctor fight that longevity was not Tombstone's strong point. He would've lost that fight if it had gone a few seconds longer because I think he was starting to have issues with the battery in that one too...then the blade broke.

I was wondering the other night why more teams don't try and use less rigid materials in their bots. It seems to me like if you could build a bot, and then line the corners/edges with just some steel-belted rubber, like tire tread, you could probably stand up to the impact from a Tombstone type spinner pretty well. Is that kind of material not allowed? I mean, honestly, a horizontal spinner bot built out of an old tire could be pretty bad ###.

Looked like he burnt the batteries trying to spin the blade while it was jammed.
Yeah...either that or just from running them that long. That was pretty much the longest fight he had. I figured after the Witch Doctor fight that longevity was not Tombstone's strong point. He would've lost that fight if it had gone a few seconds longer because I think he was starting to have issues with the battery in that one too...then the blade broke.

I was wondering the other night why more teams don't try and use less rigid materials in their bots. It seems to me like if you could build a bot, and then line the corners/edges with just some steel-belted rubber, like tire tread, you could probably stand up to the impact from a Tombstone type spinner pretty well. Is that kind of material not allowed? I mean, honestly, a horizontal spinner bot built out of an old tire could be pretty bad ###.
Not sure that would work. A lot of times, the bots get thrown over the edge or onto the screws. Turning a bot into a 200 lb superball seems like a bad idea.

i am not a robotic expert but it seems to me that when you have an electric motor running and you suddenly and repeatedly stop it dead cold that can cause the motor and everything attached to it to overheat and here you had tombstone duke yankees spinning at a high rate and then bam stopped on a dime multiple times seems like a recipe for disaster to me glad to see it happen take that to the bank bromigos

You can be sure that in future competitions, a lot of robots are going to have a thick metal shield they can place on the bot for when they go up against a horistonal spinner like tombstone. Let the robot hit you and tear itself apart.

You can be sure that in future competitions, a lot of robots are going to have a thick metal shield they can place on the bot for when they go up against a horistonal spinner like tombstone. Let the robot hit you and tear itself apart.
I really think a highly-customizable weapon and/or defense platform will be the wave of the future in Battle Bots. Look at Ghost Raptor. That bot really wasn't anything special, but after his main weapon was put out of commission early on, he basically added stuff to the mounting structure and customized it to each bot. When he made the long arm for pushing that horizontal spinner...that was genius. He nearly got past Bite Force too, and his bot frankly wasn't that awesome.

Facing a spinner? Equip with the big shield.

Facing something that can't self-upright? Equip with a flipper arm.

Facing something fast? Equip with a spinner/weapon of your own.

Super glue cannon. Mount this baby on top and spray it all over the other robot. In a few seconds everything should just seize, right?

Super glue cannon. Mount this baby on top and spray it all over the other robot. In a few seconds everything should just seize, right?
This is pretty good...I wonder if they'd find a way to consider that an "entanglement device?" I feel like there has to be a rule about random substances. Otherwise, it'd be super easy to just mount a super-soaker to a bot as a back-up weapon and fry circuitry of anyone not waterproofed.

Better yet, Imagine one minibot that sprayed gasoline, and one that had a flamethrower.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
i thought projectiles and entangalers were against the rules but hey for some reason flamethrowers are clearly not maybe it would be cool is someone went full napalm on the flame thrower with a gel base instead of the here is some gas that we lit up type deal man that would be something to see maybe you have to go to an underground anything goes type bot contest to see that also i bet hugh jackman could enter that robot he put in the boxing contest and kick some serious metal but bromigos

Was I the only one that didn't like how they were able to re-design their robots after each round for specific opponents? Repairs, okay. But I still think that De-Icer was garbage. Congrats Ghost Raptor, you were able to design a robot capable of defeating one and only one other robot in the tournament at a given time, but only with time to plan ahead.

I'd rather they all show up with their robots ready to battle any and everything imaginable and the winner is the last bot standing.

Last edited by a moderator:
TenTimes said:
Was I the only one that didn't like how they were able to re-design their robots after each round for specific opponents? Repairs, okay. But I still think that De-Icer was garbage. Congrats Ghost Raptor, you were able to design a robot capable of defeating one and only one other robot in the tournament at a given time, but only with time to plan ahead.

I'd rather they all show up with their robots ready to battle any and everything imaginable and the winner is the last bot standing.
See, I kind of liked that. It added an extra element of strategy. If you never really knew what your opponent's strengths and weaknesses were because they could change, you'd start to see some really cool match-ups. When you see stuff like Tombstone going against that plastic radioactive-shaped bot, did ANYONE really think the outcome would be different? But if the one bot suddently came out with some awesome defensive weapon, it would've been an entirely different fight.

Just watched the finale. Definitely a solid episode. The guy behind Tombstone is too arrogant for his own good. I think if he had put some more effort into driving he could have won the final match, but he basically thinks his robot is so awesome that he can just drive into anything. One good hit on either side of Bite Force and it was likely game over, but he just kept driving into the reinforced wedge and getting thrown around.

For the bots with the spinning blades, why not go for 2 blades on top of each other spinning in opposite directions? Should do just as much if not more damage to the other bot and not have your bot go flying as a result.

I think a lot of Tombstone's driver's arrogance was due to editing and the producers obviously poking him with a stick to say something boastful.

I loved the upset that happened in the finale. Really great contest.

But I think almost all of the "conflict" or "chest thumping" of the drivers is contrived. These are a bunch of science nerd engineers who respect the talents of the other bot makers, but that doesn't make for good enough tv I guess.

For the bots with the spinning blades, why not go for 2 blades on top of each other spinning in opposite directions? Should do just as much if not more damage to the other bot and not have your bot go flying as a result.
I was thinking that as well. Like the dual bladed circular saws that claim to have no kick back and can cut through anything.

Bite force, and the other "I am just going to grab and pick you up" robots need to have a counterweight so they can actually pick the other guy up. How many times in those fights did Bite Force clamp down only to almost flip himself over because he could not actually offset the weight of the robot it was lifting. I know there is a weight limit, but it seemed like bite force was a lighter robot.

Also, the MIT nerds did nothing to negate the stereotype that nerds have no coordination. When they all tried to do whatever that move was (lift up their arms at the same time) none of them were doing it at the same time or the same speed.

Been meaning to watch this show since you guys have been talking about it.

Finally remembered and turned it on Sunday night using Verizon FiOS on demand feature. My son was hooked. He watched every episode nonstop. We just got done watching the finals.

Probably the most fun him and I have had watching TV in a long time.

We loved it.

Would love to see them do two or three of these tournaments a year. I don't know what the ratings were for the show, but I have to imagine that they did pretty well.

Definitely had the same father/son experience with my two boys (10 and 5).

Hopefully this is a show they can do a couple times a year.

Definitely had the same father/son experience with my two boys (10 and 5).

Hopefully this is a show they can do a couple times a year.
The show is really tailor made for Science Channel. Hopefully they can pick it up (or come up with their own variation) if ABC doesn't continue it.

is this at all suitable for young kids? my 6 year old son would likely plotz if he saw this but i'm also a little wary of him seeing something too, well, "intense".

I didn't think it started until June 22? You sure you are not watching the old reruns? I stumbled across them with my little guy the other day and they must be using those as buzz for the new season. 

Either way, we are in. 

@saintfool I don't see why not. My 6 year old loves what he saw so far. Its 2 supped up Erector Sets going at it. Yea, they have cool weapons, but its only machine-on-machine violence, mostly nerd crews, and some eye candy spokes chick for us. 

Last edited by a moderator:
In early May they had a new episode.  The new season will have 48 bots in the tourny.  They picked 44 of them and this episode had 4 fights that were 3 bot battle royal, last bot moving won and got into the tourny.  Pretty sure the new episodes start 6/22.

5 year old girl and soon to be 3 year old boy get a kick out of this for sure.

Holds their attention much longer than American Ninja Warrior though they love that too.... their attention just wanders more

Well, props to Beta for being the first bot I've seen actually make a hammer look like a viable weapon. It's going to get shredded if it goes up against one of the spinners, though.

I still have no idea what Ultraviolent is even supposed to do.

Pretty entertaining.  Still don't like that Tombstone doosh.  After getting it handed to him last year, he's still as cocky as ever.  Doesn't look like he's innovated all that much either.  A better driver will beat him.

That may have been the best battlebots episode ever.

MLB has had entire seasons without that much action.
Yeah, that was pretty awesome last night.

Which bot was it that was designed to pick up the other bot and basically burn it to death while it couldn't move?

It's a shame the English guy's bot wasn't working. It would have been cool to see the arm and shield work together. 

Its a wedge flipper that also has outside arms for righting itself if it gets flipped flipping itself over for no reason.
In the preseason episode last month I just thought there was a problem with that bot. Right from the start it would just start flipping itself vertical for no reason at all. And then they let him back in... I thought I must have been right and they were just giving him another chance. And then it does the same damn thing again, just propping itself up without any discernible offense or defense. Was the operator just really hammered? I'm still laughing at how stupid that thing was. It was great to see Hyper Shock destroy him so badly.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Watched this with the kids, they thought it was "epic".

I'm not sure I understand the rules.  Why during the one match was the one team allowed to have a separate drone in there?

Watched this with the kids, they thought it was "epic".

I'm not sure I understand the rules.  Why during the one match was the one team allowed to have a separate drone in there?
You can have multiple bots but collectively they still have to be less than a 250lb weight limit.

watched last week's episode last night online. my 6-year old son loved every second of it. we grabbed markers at the end and began to draw our own 'bots. he wants to build one of his own,

Users who are viewing this thread