What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bears Sign Brian Griese (1 Viewer)

GRIDIRON ASSASSIN

Footballguy
about time they sign a legit NFL veteran QB

Bears sign Griese

By John Mullin and K.C. Johnson

Tribune staff reporters

March 21, 2006, 7:37 PM CST

The Bears made their first big splash in free agency Tuesday, signing the veteran backup they hope finally will solidify their quarterback position.

Brian Griese has agreed to terms on a five-year contract that should keep him in a Bears uniform through the 2010 season, according to a source close to the player. Financial details weren't yet immediately available.

Griese, son of Hall of Famer Bob, has started 72 games in eight NFL seasons with three teams. He led Tampa Bay to a 5-1 record last season before tearing two knee ligaments in his left knee last Oct. 16 against Miami, ending his season.

The Bears zeroed in on Griese last week during free agency and were comfortable with a medical evaluation performed on the injured knee to sign him. A meeting with offensive coordinator Ron Turner on Monday in Tampa helped sway the veteran quarterback, who also drew interest from Cincinnati, Miami and the Buccaneers.

Tampa Bay released Griese on March 10 to avoid paying him a $2.6 million bonus.

Griese is expected to supplant Kyle Orton as Rex Grossman's backup. Given Grossman's injury history, Griese also felt comfortable enough with the situation in Chicago to possibly start games. Griese has completed 63.1 percent of his passes with 103 touchdowns and 78 interceptions. The former Michigan star is known as an accurate passer and cerebral player.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice move. Between Griese, Grossman and Orton they should be able to come up with a starter. While the QB position probably won't excel they will have excellent depth.

Great signing by the Bears. When healthy Griese is a proven winner. One of the few available FA QBs outside of Brees that had a winning record last year. I think the Bucs will regret this.

Nice move. Between Griese, Grossman and Orton they should be able to come up with a starter. While the QB position probably won't excel they will have excellent depth.

:goodposting:

I really like this move.

When what the last time you could go into a Bears training camp NOT worried about the QB position?

In my almost 40 years of life, I really can't remember any season, other than a few years in the 80's, where Bears fans didn't worry about who would be the QB.

Now, about that aging offensive line and lack of depth at the CB position...

Kyle Orton's reaction after learning he'll be the third string QB after going 10-5 as a starter last season.
:lmao: always good for a laugh, grid

as a bears fan, i am extremely excited about this. now i won't cry so hard when grossman goes down with another injury.
Knowing the Bears luck, watch Griese re-injure his knee in the pre-season, forcing Bears fans to hold their breath every time Grossman gets hit!Seriously, though, good signing.

He'll be the #2 in Chicago - no matter to what the coaches may say about competition, Grossman is the man in Chicago.

As a Packer fan this signing is not good for us. Great move by the Bears and Orton moves to #3 on the depth chart IMO.

And as a Tampa fan, we couldn't get rid of him fast enough. Funny how perceptions about a player change when they move teams.

And as a Tampa fan, we couldn't get rid of him fast enough. Funny how perceptions about a player change when they move teams.
He will be one of the better backup QB's in the NFL, which is exactly what the Bears needed with Grossman slotted as the starter. If Grossman goes down, Griese can win some games. If I remember correctly, TB was 5-1 when Griese went down. Nevertheless, it is funny.

Yup. Funny game.Glad he's gone. Give Simms that long-term deal and let's move on.

He will be one of the better backup QB's in the NFL, which is exactly what the Bears needed with Grossman slotted as the starter. If Grossman goes down, Griese can win some games. If I remember correctly, TB was 5-1 when Griese went down. Nevertheless, it is funny.
All 5 of their wins in 04 came with him at well, and they were 5-7 with him, 0-4 without him. Not terrible for a backup QB.I think the main reason the Bucs got rid of him is because the contract they signed him to last offseason was pretty substantial since he was slated to start, and not because they wouldn't have been happy to have him in a backup role.

I know he didn't put up big numbers last season while healthy, but TB did go 5-1....I'm not suggesting he get all the credit for that start, so what gives here ?

Good signing. Anyone hear who else they are targeting? Will Hilly be back at LB or looking FA? CB?
Hunter Hillenmeyer is just about a lock to be back at his starting OLB position. They could still use another LB for some depth....First two rounds of the draft, the Bears are expected to draft a TE and then a CB.

It's looking like they won't sign a free agent kick returner....that could be a draft consideration as well.

As for the remainder of free agency, I think they will be pretty quiet - at most, if a veteran DB slips through the cracks, and they don't have to pay much, they may consider that, but I think, outside of the draft , this is the Bears roster for 2006.

From Don Pierson of the Chicago Tribune:

Griese signing could be a good deal

Brian Griese is a definite upgrade for the Bears. Jeff Blake won't agree, but Griese is a better veteran backup to Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton. He is more accurate and has a higher career passer efficiency rating than Blake. At 31, Griese is also four years younger.

Blake was a stopgap, a definite upgrade over Jonathan Quinn.

Griese's career passer rating and accuracy are slightly better than the numbers for Brad Johnson, the quarterback he replaced in Tampa Bay. The Bears struck out in a lukewarm attempt to add Johnson last year.

Griese is a lot better than Jay Fiedler and also four years younger than Kurt Warner, two other upgrade candidates from last off-season.

Griese doesn't have as much upside as Josh McCown, the 26-year-old who chose Detroit, or maybe Patrick Ramsey, the 27-year-old Washington traded to the New York Jets, but his numbers surpass both. Griese is four years younger and also has a better record than Gus Frerotte, who chose St. Louis.

Aaron Brooks and Joey Harrington, kicked out of New Orleans and Detroit, couldn't have accepted the role the Bears desire and Griese has outperformed both. Jeff Garcia, off to Philadelphia, is washed up. Jon Kitna, also signed by Detroit, can't stand up to Griese's record.

Griese is neither Drew Brees nor Daunte Culpepper, the top two quarterbacks to change teams this off-season. But the Bears claim they weren't looking for a starter.

Amazingly, Brian Griese's lifetime accuracy and passer efficiency and touchdown-to-interception ratio are all better than his dad's and Bob Griese is in the Hall of Fame. If Brian could throw to Paul Warfield and hand off to Larry Csonka, Jim Kiick and Mercury Morris, maybe he would win Super Bowls, too.

That's the thing about Brian Griese. Bears' general manager Jerry Angelo believes most teams these days win not so much because of their quarterbacks but because their quarterbacks can manage the people around them.

For Brian, that didn't happen in Denver, where he had the poor fortune of beginning his career as John Elway's successor. It didn't happen in his one season under coach Dave Wannstedt in Miami, where he got hurt and never could escape his dad's shadow, let alone Dan Marino's. It didn't happen in his two years in Tampa where his statistics were better than his health or the team's record as he tried to follow the Super Bowl-winning Johnson.

At Michigan, Griese had to share playing time with Scott Dreisbach.

In Chicago, Griese may have to back up Grossman and maybe even Orton, but he follows no one. This could be a break for him and for the Bears.

always good for a laugh, grid

as a bears fan, i am extremely excited about this. now i won't cry so hard when grossman goes down with another injury.
My guess is that Bears fans will be hoping tht Grossman gets injured. The guy has started like 8 games total, never could play more than 2 in a row.Griese has played in over 80 games, started like 70 or more. I am sure Greise will be the Bears Boss soon!

Good signing. Nothing spectacular, but solid.

One less job for harrington to interview for.

Who's to say that Griese won't win the starting job outright? It seems that he's got enough experience and lifetime completion percentage to challenge for the starting job. Has it already been handed to Grossman?

Who's to say that Griese won't win the starting job outright? It seems that he's got enough experience and lifetime completion percentage to challenge for the starting job. Has it already been handed to Grossman?
Bears think Rex Grossman=Joe Montana

Lovie Smith will most likely make some comments about how the level of competition has increased at that position, but Grossman is clearly the starter. Only way Grossman loses his job (besides getting injured) is if the Bears start off 0-4, and he's directly to blame for all 4 losses.The Bears have been waiting on Grossman - he's got a good arm, played ok after the layoff this past season, and he is the present, and future.

That's pretty accurate, and I'm not bashing/praising Grossman. The Bears have been relunctant in previous years to bring in competition for the #1 job in the past because they have such high hopes for Rex.

always good for a laugh, grid

My guess is that Bears fans will be hoping tht Grossman gets injured. The guy has started like 8 games total, never could play more than 2 in a row.Griese has played in over 80 games, started like 70 or more. I am sure Greise will be the Bears Boss soon!
Don't put me on that list! I still believe that Grossman is going to be a good QB - obviously, he needs to stay healthy, but I think he has the ability.

That's pretty accurate, and I'm not bashing/praising Grossman. The Bears have been relunctant in previous years to bring in competition for the #1 job in the past because they have such high hopes for Rex.
Yeah, I've just never understood the love that Grossman gets considering he has done absolutely nothing. Not like Griese=Montana either but he seems perfectly capable of making a difficult decision for the coaches following training camp if they give him a legitimate shot at the starting job.

Sounds like Griese has been underappreciated by Bucs fans over the past two seasons:

Record as starter: Griese 10-7, other TB QBs 6-9

QB Rating: Griese 91.4 , other TB QBs 78.6

Completion %: Griese 67.6%, other TB QBs 61.1%

Yards Per Attempt: Griese 7.4, other TB QBs 6.5

TD/INT Ratio: Griese 27-19, other TB QBs 14-13

Touchdown Pass %: Griese 5.3%, other TB QBs 2.9%

Which guy is most likely to be the starter? The one with a lifetime completion percentage greater than 63% over 75 games? Or the one with only 8 games to his name with less than a 54% completion rate averaging 163 passing yards per game?

Grossman

+---------------------------------------+-----------------+

| Passing | Rushing |

+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+

| Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD |

| 2003 chi | 3 | 38 72 52.8 437 6.1 2 1 | 3 -1 0 |

| 2004 chi | 3 | 47 84 56.0 607 7.2 1 3 | 11 48 1 |

| 2005 chi | 2 | 20 39 51.3 259 6.6 1 2 | 0 0 0 |

| TOTAL | 8 | 105 195 53.8 1303 6.7 4 6 | 14 47 1 |

Griese

| Passing | Rushing |

| 1998 den | 1 | 1 3 33.3 2 0.7 0 1 | 4 -4 0 |

| 1999 den | 14 | 261 452 57.7 3032 6.7 14 14 | 46 138 2 |

| 2000 den | 10 | 216 336 64.3 2688 8.0 19 4 | 29 102 1 |

| 2001 den | 15 | 275 451 61.0 2827 6.3 23 19 | 50 173 1 |

| 2002 den | 13 | 291 436 66.7 3214 7.4 15 15 | 37 107 1 |

| 2003 mia | 5 | 74 130 56.9 813 6.3 5 6 | 5 15 0 |

| 2004 tam | 11 | 233 336 69.3 2632 7.8 20 12 | 30 17 0 |

| 2005 tam | 6 | 112 174 64.4 1136 6.5 7 7 | 13 12 0 |

| TOTAL | 75 | 1463 2318 63.1 16344 7.1 103 78 | 214 560 5 |

I guess I'm just bitter because as a Raider fan, I was hoping to get Griese. Now, we almost have to sign Brooks. :bag: :banned:

Which guy is most likely to be the starter? The one with a lifetime completion percentage greater than 63% over 75 games? Or the one with only 8 games to his name with less than a 54% completion rate averaging 163 passing yards per game?

Grossman

| Passing | Rushing |

| 2003 chi | 3 | 38 72 52.8 437 6.1 2 1 | 3 -1 0 |

| 2004 chi | 3 | 47 84 56.0 607 7.2 1 3 | 11 48 1 |

| 2005 chi | 2 | 20 39 51.3 259 6.6 1 2 | 0 0 0 |

| TOTAL | 8 | 105 195 53.8 1303 6.7 4 6 | 14 47 1 |

Griese

| Passing | Rushing |

| 1998 den | 1 | 1 3 33.3 2 0.7 0 1 | 4 -4 0 |

| 1999 den | 14 | 261 452 57.7 3032 6.7 14 14 | 46 138 2 |

| 2000 den | 10 | 216 336 64.3 2688 8.0 19 4 | 29 102 1 |

| 2001 den | 15 | 275 451 61.0 2827 6.3 23 19 | 50 173 1 |

| 2002 den | 13 | 291 436 66.7 3214 7.4 15 15 | 37 107 1 |

| 2003 mia | 5 | 74 130 56.9 813 6.3 5 6 | 5 15 0 |

| 2004 tam | 11 | 233 336 69.3 2632 7.8 20 12 | 30 17 0 |

| 2005 tam | 6 | 112 174 64.4 1136 6.5 7 7 | 13 12 0 |

| TOTAL | 75 | 1463 2318 63.1 16344 7.1 103 78 | 214 560 5 |

Grossman, no debate.

Yeah, I've just never understood the love that Grossman gets considering he has done absolutely nothing. Not like Griese=Montana either but he seems perfectly capable of making a difficult decision for the coaches following training camp if they give him a legitimate shot at the starting job.
That's the issue though - there won't be a legitmate QB competition in Chicago. Griese will be the #2 to Grossman - the Bears feel that Rex is going to be a special player, right or wrong.

Sounds like Griese has been underappreciated by Bucs fans over the past two seasons:

Record as starter: Griese 10-7, other TB QBs 6-9

QB Rating: Griese 91.4 , other TB QBs 78.6

Completion %: Griese 67.6%, other TB QBs 61.1%

Yards Per Attempt: Griese 7.4, other TB QBs 6.5

TD/INT Ratio: Griese 27-19, other TB QBs 14-13

Touchdown Pass %: Griese 5.3%, other TB QBs 2.9%
Good info here! I'm not a big Simms fan, but this just confirms that Griese will be a really solid backup!

Three things you can bank on this season in Bear land...

Urlacher will be boinking some skank and the Bears' defense will slip this year.

Griese will end up being the starter.

Muhammad will continue to prove that he was a waste of coin.

I don't understand why you Bears fans have so much confidence in Rex.

In three years he has started in only 7 games has 4 tds to 6 ints and has a 68.8 QB rating. He is always hurt, and even though Orton didn't have very impressive #'s the team flat out won with him at QB, that is more than they can say about Grossman.

That being said the Bears made a great move in getting Griese, I can remember the guy playing a game with a seperated shoulder in Denver and if I remember correctly he had a great game. The guy has a ton of heart. I was bummed last year when the Lions got Garcia instead of Griese.

Three things you can bank on this season in Bear land...

Urlacher will be boinking some skank and the Bears' defense will slip this year.

Griese will end up being the starter.

Muhammad will continue to prove that he was a waste of coin.
i hate it so much that i could honestly see all of these things coming true ... :rant:

Why Bucs fans don't like Griese:

Griese was good for 1 REALLY bone-headed throw per game. Sometimes that throw didn't hurt...other times that throw was the difference in the game.

Now Simms has been known to do the same, but at least he's young and improving. We didn't see that potential in Griese.

Nevertheless a solid backup for the Bears.

I don't understand why you Bears fans have so much confidence in Rex.

In three years he has started in only 7 games has 4 tds to 6 ints and has a 68.8 QB rating. He is always hurt, and even though Orton didn't have very impressive #'s the team flat out won with him at QB, that is more than they can say about Grossman.

That being said the Bears made a great move in getting Griese, I can remember the guy playing a game with a seperated shoulder in Denver and if I remember correctly he had a great game. The guy has a ton of heart. I was bummed last year when the Lions got Garcia instead of Griese.
Coming from a very big Bears fan, It's not the "Bears fans" (at least not this one and those I know) who have the love affair with Grossman.It's the Bears themselves. Meaning, upper management pulling hard for him and coaches kind of speaking the company line.

While I do think Grossman still has enough potential to not give up on him and he does showcase the leadership abilities that make excellent stud type QB's, he should NOT be given the starting spot on a silver platter and Griese should have a fair shot at taking over that position.

No matter what Lovie Smith may say in the weeks to come, I believe him to have a pretty quick trigger finger on making changes when there is need for it to be done.

Griese may have to be an obvious choice as the starter, but I do not believe Grossman will win it by default no matter how he performs.

Grossman must perform well in camp and preseason or it's to the bench in Week 1 and I think Lovie would do it.

Lovie may spew a lot of common coachspeek garbage, but he's shown that he isn't afraid to make changes and do them quickly. That scenario may very well happen here.

At last! He's a good fit with the type of talent they have there. While its still too early to give up on Grossman, I just think Griese will win the job. Griese is a good starting QB.

The dollar figures could say a lot. There could be starting incentives or there could be a lot of guaranteed money. Those could hint at the Bears intentions.

If you have forgotten Kyle Orton's name yet, its time to do so. He's nobody.

I find this thread to be absolutely mind boggling. I'm not going to claim that Griese is some world beater superstar or that Grossman is a buffoon who can't tie his own shoes but I think someone needs to come out and say what is obvious.

Brian Griese is an absolutely huge upgrade at the starting QB position for the Bears. Rex Grossman has been in the league for three years and has four passing touchdowns. Think about that. If you career total for passing touchdowns is almost the same as the total length of your career you are not a QB that a franchise can hang its hopes on.

Come on people. Let's be serious. Brian Griese is going to be the number one QB for the Bears this season and because of that they are a much better team.

I find this thread to be absolutely mind boggling. I'm not going to claim that Griese is some world beater superstar or that Grossman is a buffoon who can't tie his own shoes but I think someone needs to come out and say what is obvious.

Brian Griese is an absolutely huge upgrade at the starting QB position for the Bears. Rex Grossman has been in the league for three years and has four passing touchdowns. Think about that. If you career total for passing touchdowns is almost the same as the total length of your career you are not a QB that a franchise can hang its hopes on.

Come on people. Let's be serious. Brian Griese is going to be the number one QB for the Bears this season and because of that they are a much better team.
Wrong - I'm not disagreeing that Griese may actually be the better QB since we have seen so little of Grossman, but Lovie Smith is infatuated with Grossman. He'll be the starter, right or wrong.

Like the signing

Now Ill hope for a fair battle in camp. I will be rooting for Rex but the job shouldnt be just given to him

Users who are viewing this thread