What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Beginning Skiing & Getting Started - Equipment, Lessons, Etc. (1 Viewer)

mquinnjr

Footballguy
Searched and didn't see any other general skiing threads.

I have some friends who ski, and never took the plunge. Was always told I was missing out on a blast, so I decided I'm going to finally start to get into it this winter.

Trying to figure out how to go about this with equipment and lessons. It seems like ski set rental (helmet, skis, bindings, poles, and boots) for $230 for the winter (Local ski shop where they fit you on-site) is a good deal to get started. I have waterproof heavy-duty gloves, so from some basic research I feel like I'm looking at, in addition to the equipment rental:

- Lessons

- Goggles

- Waterproof Ski Jacket

- Waterproof Ski Pants

- Misc. items (long elastic socks, base layers I don't already have, etc).

I wanted to see if skiers in the FFA advise for or against renting ski equipment the first season and just going for it (~$250 after tax of sunk cost renting angle), or if renting 1st year is still the safe play and spend on nice apparel & lessons as per the above now that can carry over well past this year. Perhaps buy decent equipment to own the following year once I'm maybe a little more serious about it.

Thanks in advance for any advice, appreciate it.

$250 seems like a decent price to make sure you are going to like it. Not a skier myself, but i know you can easily drop a grand for just the skis, bindings and boots.

As someone who picked up snowboarding late in life, I'd highly recommend BUYING your snow clothing, and renting your equipment. I had ZERO desire to wear someone else's helmet, gloves, etc. Just far too intimate with someone else's sweat for me.

I bought the jacket, pants, gloves, goggles, etc. (I didn't have a helmet the first time, which was DUMB...get a helmet). I rented the snowboard and boots. I'd highly recommend renting a few times so you can figure out what you even like. I don't know skiing, but with boards, there were a few types of bindings, boots, and different length and stiffnesses ( :pickle: ) of boards. I didn't know one from the other. I rented for 3 trips before I bought my own gear. I knew then that I wasn't into the tricks and just liked to carve down the mountain, so I went with a stiffer board that was better at what I liked.

Check trusnow.com for their "last season" stuff for good prices. Remember, even if you buy what you like now, you'll end up changing it in a few years anyway...

Where are you going to be skiing? Consider a season pass if the numbers work outt. eg I get one in Park City for ~$600 which will pay for itself in 6 days.

I'd rent equipment until you decide if it's for you. If you have weirdly shaped feet, rental boots won't work for you and you'll be miserable.

Agree with the last poster...

Also..... There's a very good chance your first time skiing will be one of the most miserable experiences of your life. The second time is :moneybag:

Your upper body will get the workout of a lifetime. You're going to be pushing and pulling all day with your (ski) poles. Maybe doing some dips and dumbbell exercises will help.

The bunny hill is your friend.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Agree with the last poster...

Also..... There's a very good chance your first time skiing will be one of the most miserable experiences of your life. The second time is :moneybag:

Your upper body will get the workout of a lifetime. You're going to be pushing and pulling all day with your (ski) poles. Maybe doing some dips and dumbbell exercises will help.

The bunny hill is your friend.
Amen to the bolded part. We go on one week-long trip per year with my in-laws. My 1st time was miserable. Never made it off the bunny hill and felt like I was in a car accident. Second time was actually even worse as the conditions were horrid...gale force winds and iced over slopes made it nearly impossible. I almost quit that year. 3rd year we went out west where the snow is SO much better than the east coast and it clicked, and I bought my equipment in that year's after-season sale. Now it's one of my favorite parts of the year.

Probably going to do day trips to some of the places where you can ski within ~2 hours outside of Philly in SE PA to get my bearings. I run/use the treadmill about 2-3x a week and lift the other 1-2 days, so I've kept in shape, even if it's not skiing shape so hopefully that helps reduce the suck you guys are describing after the first few times out, but it sounds like expect the worst and go from there.

Yeah I'm not going for anything more difficult than the bunny slopes until they're boring, which I'll expect to be awhile. I played ice hockey in grade school, so hopefully that helps to stop and keep balance, but I'm not expecting it to be a save all and make me any sort of natural. Not at all too proud to get lessons and get it right from the onset.

Thanks for the tips guys, if I really get into it I'll definitely look into post-season sales as mentioned and start accumulating my own equipment over time for next winter. Starting at the local mountains to see if I like it, and would like to start doing ski vacations, which is something I feel like I'd love to do if I find myself into the sport.

:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably already missed it for this year, but go to the ski-swap at your local slopes before the season starts. You can get nice used skis/bindings/boots/poles for $250. People are always getting rid of stuff cheap.

The biggest drag with the rentals is how long it takes. Going to a separate area, waiting in lines, filling out forms, lugging equipment around, waiting for everyone to get ready, etc. Especially on a nice/busy day. We rent a locker for our equipment and it makes it super easy. I can literally go from car to the lift chair in about 10 minutes.

Crucial ski equipment

You probably already missed it for this year, but go to the ski-swap at your local slopes before the season starts. You can get nice used skis/bindings/boots/poles for $250. People are always getting rid of stuff cheap.

The biggest drag with the rentals is how long it takes. Going to a separate area, waiting in lines, filling out forms, lugging equipment around, waiting for everyone to get ready, etc. Especially on a nice/busy day. We rent a locker for our equipment and it makes it super easy. I can literally go from car to the lift chair in about 10 minutes.

Crucial ski equipment
If you're going to a bigger place, the key here is just rent off-mountain at one of the local ski shops. It's usually cheaper, and much faster. I rented from the slopes 1 time, and that was my first time becuase they did a bundle price with lessons.

Crucial ski equipment
If you're going to a bigger place, the key here is just rent off-mountain at one of the local ski shops. It's usually cheaper, and much faster. I rented from the slopes 1 time, and that was my first time becuase they did a bundle price with lessons.
This. Check out REI or another off-mountain site to rent your stuff, much quicker, usually cheaper and once you get to mountain you can go straight to the slopes. Don't skimp on the clothing. Being sore and then soaking wet sucks, it'll add to the misery. I thought first time skiing was pretty easy, no problems at all. First time snowboarding is a completely different story. Pay for the lessons, it's usually money well spent if you have a decent instructor.

SE Pa - so shouldn't be too cold. Use layers, waterproof will help.

IMO you might just rent each time instead of the season rental. You might be able to take advantage of package deals with lessons. Also, once you feel more comfortable you might appreciate a chance to try different skis. In the Spring watch for demo days. Pre-season, ski swaps are awesome. If you have weird feed, as ssomeone else said, you might want to buy boots thru a good boot fitter.

Crucial ski equipment
The bundle price wiht lessons was very reasonable the first time I went snowboarding a few years back. I couldn't imagine starting out without taking some lessons. They were a huge help.

Crucial ski equipment
The bundle price wiht lessons was very reasonable the first time I went snowboarding a few years back. I couldn't imagine starting out without taking some lessons. They were a huge help.
Yeah...lessons when snowboarding are essential. I took 3 days worth...I should've taken more, but I got tired of falling on someone else's terms and just wanted to try and fall on my own.

Gloves. - easily the most important piece of equipment. Bring extremly well designed waterproof gloves or multiple pair of your above average quality waterproof winter gloves. Spend as much as you want on gloves.

Dress for the weather.-

Look, here's the deal.... You're gonna fall. A lot. Oddly enough, you want it to he cold, REAL COLD. That way you can wear your Triple Fat Goose and absorb the punishment.

On the other hand, If it's not freezing, the more you fall, the more you're gonna get wet so being waterproof is more important then padding.

You'll find that once you get halfway decent, you can wear just light gear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread