What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ben Roethlisberger - initially didn't want Steelers QB Kenny Pickett to succeed (11 Viewers)

I wouldn't have let Landry Jones leave, personally. Maybe I'm wrong about that. 

Perhaps Rudolph played ok when defenses let him check down to Samuels, and managed to win some games in Joe Flacco fashion. Hes back up quality but a poor one, I don't think I'm alone on that take. With questions surrounding Ben's recovery and age, I think getting a better one should be a priority. 
You certainly aren't alone in that take, but I'll rehash what I posted in the Rudolph thread:

Prior to the Browns game, he had a 4-2 record as a starter, 65% completions, an 11-4 TD/INT ratio, 0 lost fumbles(very rare for a young QB) a 6.6 YPA(which is admittedly low) and not a single game with a passer rating below 80. That was despite having an o-line that took 2 steps back last year, and a very banged up skill position group, that was mostly relying on rookies, or guys who had never started before(Snell, Washington, Johnson)

I still think its entirely possible Rudolph is the QB of the future, but even if he isn't, what is the alternative? They'd be crazy to take a QB with the 1 pick they have in the first 3 rounds, especially since the position will be picked over by then. No FA QB who would be an upgrade from Rudolph is signing as long as the job is backing up Big Ben. Best case is maybe Mariota, who probably isn't an upgrade. I can't see Dalton or Winston, or Bridgewater signing as pure backups.

You certainly aren't alone in that take, but I'll rehash what I posted in the Rudolph thread:

Prior to the Browns game, he had a 4-2 record as a starter, 65% completions, an 11-4 TD/INT ratio, 0 lost fumbles(very rare for a young QB) a 6.6 YPA(which is admittedly low) and not a single game with a passer rating below 80. That was despite having an o-line that took 2 steps back last year, and a very banged up skill position group, that was mostly relying on rookies, or guys who had never started before(Snell, Washington, Johnson)

I still think its entirely possible Rudolph is the QB of the future, but even if he isn't, what is the alternative? They'd be crazy to take a QB with the 1 pick they have in the first 3 rounds, especially since the position will be picked over by then. No FA QB who would be an upgrade from Rudolph is signing as long as the job is backing up Big Ben. Best case is maybe Mariota, who probably isn't an upgrade. I can't see Dalton or Winston, or Bridgewater signing as pure backups.
Any qb who overwhelmingly targets his rbs will have a good completion percentage. Like I said before, he did pretty bad when defenses didn't let him just check down. I'm reminded of the Bengals game where he completed probably 20 passes to Conner and Samuels, a performance which inflated his stats.

As far as better options, perhaps you're right. But that's not what Colbert is saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any qb who overwhelmingly targets his rbs will have a good completion percentage. Like I said before, he did pretty bad when defenses didn't let him just check down. I'm reminded of the Bengals game where he completed probably 20 passes to Conner and Samuels, a performance which inflated his stats.

As far as better options, perhaps you're right. But that's not what Colbert is saying.
Aside from the Cleveland and half of the Bengals game Rudolph was doing well enough to post a 4-2 record against a pretty brutal schedule.  Sure he was checking down too much but a lot of rookies do that (I realize he was in his 2nd year but had not played in 2018).  The important thing is he was protecting the ball.

He absolutely was pathetic against Cleveland and was terrible the following week against the Bengals and benching him was 100% the right decision but he looked decent against the Jets in relief of Hodges before being knocked out of the game.   In short Rudolph is never going to be a great starting QB but he's still young and could be a decent backup that can start a game here or there.

If Ben is able to come back 100% then I am fine with Rudolph as the backup.  Sure there are better options in FA but the Steelers really don't have the cash to get them.  I also think any QB they get in the second round is probably not going to be any better than the QBs they already have rostered.   At that point, just go with Rudolph/Hodges/Lynch/Barret, hope for the best in 2020, and look towards the 2021 draft for a QB.

On Rudolph.

I thought he started solid, for sure had looks of at least a high quality backup. Could see flaws in his game for sure but a high quality backup. Not looking at stats but just my observation after he suffered the brutal hit and concussion against the Ravens I just did not think he was the same. Prior to that game I'd have said his primary weakness was lack of mobility and pocket awareness. I just felt after that game he got very skittish in the pocket and his lack of pocket awareness was exacerbated.

And I just want to say if I call him skittish I don't want to confuse that with saying he's not tough.  That guy took some tremendous shots last year, again in part because of poor pocket awareness. I don't recall an NFL player last year I thought took more punishment.

After watching two weeks of XFL games, or some of it, I continue to assert if we had PJ Walker on our team last year we'd have been in the playoffs.

On Rudolph.

I thought he started solid, for sure had looks of at least a high quality backup. Could see flaws in his game for sure but a high quality backup. Not looking at stats but just my observation after he suffered the brutal hit and concussion against the Ravens I just did not think he was the same. Prior to that game I'd have said his primary weakness was lack of mobility and pocket awareness. I just felt after that game he got very skittish in the pocket and his lack of pocket awareness was exacerbated.

And I just want to say if I call him skittish I don't want to confuse that with saying he's not tough.  That guy took some tremendous shots last year, again in part because of poor pocket awareness. I don't recall an NFL player last year I thought took more punishment.

After watching two weeks of XFL games, or some of it, I continue to assert if we had PJ Walker on our team last year we'd have been in the playoffs.
I think if they hadn't switched to Hodges they would have made it. I think Rudolph beats both Buffalo and the Jets. Well, let me rephrase, he doesn't lose those games, which is what Hodges did.

I still really don't get why they went to Hodges in the first place. He had one ok game, where he threw nothing but screens, and the defense beat a disinterested Chargers team by 7. There was no reason to suspect he would be better than Rudolph, and unsurprisingly he wasn't.

Of course, I highly doubt Rudolph would have led the Steelers on the run the Titans had from the wildcard. They likely get held under 10 by NE's D, but perhaps if they beat Buffalo and the Jets, maybe they get the #5 seed, and draw Houston, whom they'd have matched up better with?

Speaking Monday morning on ESPN's First Take, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin confirmed he expects Ben Roethlisberger (elbow) to be ready for Week 1.

"I have no hesitation," said Tomlin, who also addressed Myles Garrett's assertion that Mason Rudolph used a racial slur in their altercation last year. "This guy is the ultimate competitor. He dropped the gauntlet down. He made the statement he's coming back." Roethlisberger was lost to season-ending elbow surgery early in the 2019 campaign and still isn't "doing anything," according to Tomlin, though the long-tenured Pittsburgh coach fully expects to have Ben in the saddle for Week 1. Even without their star quarterback, the Steelers still finished a respectable 8-8 last season. They should be back in the playoff hunt if Roethlisberger returns to his pre-injury form in 2020.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

Feb 17, 2020, 11:41 AM ET

Ben Roethlisberger (elbow surgery) estimates he is 2-3 months from "full clearance."

Roethlisberger threw Saturday for the first time since going under the knife in September. 2-3 months would have him ready well in advance of training camp. Although he's just eight days shy of his 38th birthday with a lengthy injury history, Roethlisberger's missed games with injury last season were his first since 2016. The Steelers' offense was an abject disaster without him. Perhaps an heir apparent will be drafted, but this is Big Ben's team for the foreseeable future as long as his health cooperates.

SOURCE: Ron Cook on Twitter

Feb 23, 2020, 1:22 PM ET

The Steelers posted a video of Ben Roethlisberger (elbow) throwing a football.

Roethlisberger has a massive beard and was gingerly "throwing" this pigskin, but these are signs of life for the veteran quarterback. He appears to be making real progress after a major surgery last season. Both the Steelers' GM and head coach have expressed public optimism regarding Big Ben's Week 1 outlook. Expect Roethlisberger to inch his way towards training camp before surging up his workload right before the season starts. The Steelers should compete for a playoff spot if Roethlisberger plays at a near pre-injury level, especially if the NFL expands the playoffs to seven teams per conference.

SOURCE: Steelers on Twitter

Feb 22, 2020, 3:28 PM ET

He's been at best a backup QB for dynasty leagues for a few years now.
This is wildly inaccurate.

He was the #2 fantasy QB in 2018, his last full year.

I can sort average PPG using my MFL leagues but can only go back to 2014. He's been top 10 every year I can go back. So again, that's top 10 in average PPG from 2018 to 2014.

If someone can look at average PPG I'd venture to guess only years he missed games due to injury is only thing that has kept him from being a top 10 QB in total scoring all the way until probably 2011. In other words in PPG scoring from 2012-2018 he was top 10.

You can say without AB and at his current age he's a backup now, and you may be right, but he's been a QB1 when healthy for 7 straight years until last year when he only played 1.5 games.

This is wildly inaccurate.

He was the #2 fantasy QB in 2018, his last full year.

I can sort average PPG using my MFL leagues but can only go back to 2014. He's been top 10 every year I can go back. So again, that's top 10 in average PPG from 2018 to 2014.

If someone can look at average PPG I'd venture to guess only years he missed games due to injury is only thing that has kept him from being a top 10 QB in total scoring all the way until probably 2011. In other words in PPG scoring from 2012-2018 he was top 10.

You can say without AB and at his current age he's a backup now, and you may be right, but he's been a QB1 when healthy for 7 straight years until last year when he only played 1.5 games.
I just don't remember ever worrying about Roethlisberger beating me in a title game (say the last few years, not counting 2019).  Perhaps it's more in my head than in reality.

I just don't remember ever worrying about Roethlisberger beating me in a title game (say the last few years, not counting 2019).  Perhaps it's more in my head than in reality.
I got to admit him being #2 to Mahomes  2018 does admittedly seem hard to believe. I owned him a lot that year and for some reason don't even recall thinking of him being that great that year. But if you faced him that year in week 16 he'd have thrown down 33 on you.

It's easier for me to believe what he's been most of his the last 10 years, a mid to low end QB1. Hard to have the best 5 year stretch for a WR and not be a low end starter.

I don't know I thought the video of him throwing a football was a good sign.
I was ready to compare him to Andrew Luck not throwing all in the 1st half of 2019, before I read that he was given the green light to move beyond tennis balls.  Still, I'm not going to be drafting him unless I see full velocity in training camp/preseason.

Ben Roethlisberger said he's "throwing without pain for the first time in years."

"I have no doubts I’m going to be able to come back and play well — none," Roethlisberger said. "Right now, it’s about 40 throws a day and about 20 yards. Our goal was for me to be 80, 90, 100% by OTAs and minicamp." With offseason activities headed for cancellation due to COVID-19, 38-year-old Roethlisberger has more time than intended to rehab ahead of the team's season opener. As usual with Big Ben, his long-term durability remains a looming question mark for Pittsburgh under center.

SOURCE: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mar 20, 2020, 12:16 PM ET

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said the team "fully anticipates" Ben Roethlisberger (elbow) being ready for the season opener.

“As we sit here today, we are extremely confident in his readiness,” Tomlin said during the NFL Network's schedule-release show. “We are enjoying the process that he’s going through right now. Obviously, it’s not without its angst. The guy is coming off a season-ending injury and surgery. But we like where we are. He’s throwing on a rehab schedule, and it’s going well, and we fully anticipate him being ready to go for that opener.” Roethlisberger himself recently noted the plan was to progressively increase his rehab until he's "100% by OTAs and minicamp" in June. As always with the Steelers and Big Ben, the latter's long-term health will be the difference between simply competing in the AFC North and having a legitimate shot at representing the conference in February's Super Bowl.

SOURCE: TribLive.com

May 9, 2020, 2:53 PM ET

Will Ben Roethlisberger's return transform this team back into a fantasy juggernaut?

Excerpt:

Big Ben's health is the biggest question for him in 2020, but is his potential ceiling in a full season worth the injury risk?

Matt: The health of Ben Roethlisberger is one of the more frustrating unknowables going into 2020. If the Steelers get something close to Top-12 quarterback play out of Roethlisberger, this team has the skill position talent to be a really fun offense. We could see Ben approach his 5,000-yard passing mark from two years ago if he’s close to his old form. The wide receivers and offensive line are certainly good enough. The problem is that we just don’t know what this 38-year-old passer will look like coming off an elbow injury. He’s going so late in drafts, he’s worth the low risk. But if he does have to exit stage left again, you’re going to be frustrated if you drafted one of these intriguing receivers or James Conner.

Scott: You could whisper (or scream) “It’s all contextual” after almost any fantasy question, but this is one case where it’s especially true. If you’re in a league where the waiver wire is populated with satisfying fix-it options at any moment, Roethlisberger starts to look more interesting to me; I see the plausible upside, and I can get out of Dodge if things go haywire. In something like a Superflex league where two reliable QB starters are essentially mandatory, I might be leerier of Roethlisberger, afraid that if he hits the low end of his range, I’m in trouble. Then again, no risk it, no biscuit; we’re not trying to come in fourth here.

You, too, can be a fantasy analyst; you just have to be able to talk in a circle. My early drafting with Roethlisberger has been market-driven; I’m considering him when he falls, and not drafting him at his common ADP. So often we learn about our feelings through the drafting experience. Put him down as a reactive pick for me, not a proactive one.

Andy: At the moment, Roethlisberger’s average draft position is just 122.4 in Yahoo leagues. He’s only one year removed from a 5,129-yard, 34-touchdown season. There’s no reason to believe he won’t be fully recovered from elbow surgery by opening week, and he’s finished as a top-10 fantasy QB three times in the past six years. Roethlisberger is a high-mileage 38-year-old, so he clearly carries enhanced injury risk, but he also plays a position that’s generally easy to fill from any league’s free-agent pool. Losing a quarterback to injury in a standard one-QB format isn’t much of a worry.

Ben Roethlisberger (elbow) said his arm feels "really good" after throwing on Tuesday.

A trimmed-down 38-year-old Roethlisberger told reporters he'll be on a "pitch count" during training camp after recovering from an elbow injury that ended his 2019 season in September. A healthy Roethlisberger would be a boon for every fantasy relevant Steeler, including JuJu Smith-Schuster, the 11th receiver off the draft board. 

SOURCE: Aditi Kinkhabwala

Aug 4, 2020, 11:32 AM ET

I'm sure the Steelers offense is glad to hear Roethlisberger is feeliing good.  I'm also sure fantasy owners of the Steelers' skilled players feel the same.

I'm sure the Steelers offense is glad to hear Roethlisberger is feeliing good.  I'm also sure fantasy owners of the Steelers' skilled players feel the same.
Mason Rudolph too, he hopefully wont have any reunion with Myles Garret on the field. 

Hmmnnn....

------------------------------

Joe Paeno@Paeno

"It appeared to me — especially later in practice on some deep balls — that Roethlisberger was short-arming his passes." "It was sort of like a whip action. It reminded me a bit of Philip Rivers’ delivery."

Hmmnnn....

------------------------------

Joe Paeno@Paeno

"It appeared to me — especially later in practice on some deep balls — that Roethlisberger was short-arming his passes." "It was sort of like a whip action. It reminded me a bit of Philip Rivers’ delivery."
God please no. Rivers got a lot out of his talent, but his delivery was always awful, especially recent years. 

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger said his elbow feels "really good" after throwing three days in a row last week.

He's still taking one day off every so often to avoid general fatigue and soreness, but all reports out of camp suggest Roethlisberger is fully healthy. The Athletic's Mark Kaboly reported Roethlisberger even scrapped his regular throwing schedule since "there has been no pain in the elbow." The Steelers' offense as a whole remains one to invest in since all players still include Average Draft Positions that suggest Roethlisberger isn't healthy (making all extreme values at their current costs).

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

Aug 27, 2020, 10:42 AM ET

Roethlisberger has a lot of mouths to feed in this offence.

JuJu Smith-Schuster, Diontae Johnson, James Washington, Chase Claypool, Eric Ebron, Vance McDonald, etc.

It will be fun to watch.

According to The Athletic's Mark Kaboly, Ben Roethlisberger has "made every throw" at Steelers camp, and his elbow is "not a concern."

There were whispers earlier in camp that Big Ben was "short-arming" passes, but that appeared to be either a minor blip on the whole radar or a planned thing. The reports around Roethlisberger's arm have been mostly positive much of the summer since he was cleared for team drills. This offense is a major bounce-back candidate, and it all falls on Big Ben's shoulders to carry it. He's very much the front-runner for Comeback Player of the Year.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Sep 4, 2020, 2:58 PM ET

2020 Fantasy Football: Using advanced metrics to identify five situations worth your attention

Excerpt:

2 - The Pittsburgh Steelers’ passing play percentage

It goes without saying that the Steelers were an extremely different team without Ben Roethlisberger in the fold last year. Not just from a results perspective, either, as Pittsburgh completely flipped their offensive philosophy to adjust for their new quarterback hell.

In 2019, the Steelers threw the ball on 42 percent of their plays when the team had a lead of least three points, the fifth-lowest mark in the NFL. That makes sense. As soon as Pittsburgh had any hope of securing a win it was best to just sit on the ball and not allow Mason Rudolph or Duck Hodges to throw them out of it. 

However, this was a clear flip from their prior approach. In 2018, The Steelers boasted a 55 percent passing rate when they led by three-plus points, sixth-highest in the NFL. Pittsburgh also ranked fourth in 2017. 

It’s reasonable to expect that Ben Roethlisberger will be a slightly compromised form of the player he was in 2017 and 2018. He’s 38 years old and coming off a major injury. It wouldn’t be a shock if he’s 85 to 90 percent of his old self, but even that’s a big upgrade on what Pittsburgh rolled out in 2019. 

What’s clear is that based on their history, when the Steelers have their quarterback and skill-position group stocked with quality options, they want to push the ball through the air. Both points are in place in Pittsburgh this coming season. 

Ben Roethlisberger completed 21-of-32 passes for 229 yards and three touchdowns in the Steelers' 26-16, Week 1 win over the Giants Monday night.

In his first game since season-ending elbow surgery last Week 2, Big Ben was pretty much flawless against a Giants defense that doesn't have a whole lot of talent after adding nothing in the pass-rush department and already cutting 2019 first-round CB Deandre Baker. Roethlisberger's reinsertion to the lineup was an immediate boost to the entire pass offense, particularly JuJu Smith-Schuster, who caught two of Big Ben's three scores. Both came in the red zone from 10 and eight yards out. JuJu beat Isaac Yiadom on the 10-yarder, and then got free from big-money free-agent pickup James Bradberry in the fourth quarter for the other. Big Ben's third score was a hookup with James Washington. The Steelers get a tougher on-paper date with the Broncos in Week 2 where Big Ben will be a fringe QB1/2. At one point, he had to get his elbow iced Monday night, but the quarterback ended up missing no time.

Sep 14, 2020, 10:24 PM ET

Ben Roethlisberger completed 21-of-32 passes for 182 yards and two touchdowns in the Steelers' 28-24 Week 8 win against the Ravens. 

Roethlisberger was serviceable, again getting the ball out quickly before Baltimore's pass rush could collapse the pocket. For the second time this season, Roethlisberger was seen massaging his elbow area on the sideline -- a potential concern for the veteran after offseason elbow surgery. He sailed a few first half passes well over open pass catchers, but seemed more dialed in in the second half. Roethlisberger, along with every other fantasy relevant Steeler, has an excellent Week 9 matchup against the Cowboys. 

- Rotoworld

Ben Roethlisberger on Sunday's plane ride home from Dallas sat next to Vance McDonald, who has since tested positive for COVID-19.

Roethlisberger's locker is next to McDonald's too. McDonald played in Sunday's win over Dallas before testing positive for COVID-19 on Monday. The Steelers QB will self isolate for the next five days. Unless he tests positive for the virus during the period, Roethlisberger should be able to come off the reserve/COVID-19 list Saturday, just in time for Sunday's game against the Bengals. Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said Roethlisberger would be able to participate in the team's Saturday walk through if all goes according to plan. 

RELATED: 

Vance McDonald

SOURCE: Aditi Kinkhabwala

Nov 10, 2020, 11:54 AM ET

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger can continue rehab on his injured knee during his five days on the reserve/COVID-19 list. 

Roethlisberger was placed on the list as a high-risk close contact of someone in the organization who tested positive for the virus. After leaving Sunday's game against Dallas with a knee injury, Roethlisberger can continue his rehab this week. "He must go when there are limited players and personnel and wear appropriate PPE as will medical and training staff," NFL Network's Tom Pelissero said in a Twitter post. Roethlisberger can come off the list on Saturday and play Sunday against the Bengals, barring a positive test. 

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Nov 10, 2020, 10:29 AM ET

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he expects Ben Roethlisberger (COVID) to be activated Saturday.

Roethlisberger hasn't practiced all week. Tomlin said, assuming Big Ben is able to return Saturday, he'll go through a walkthrough ahead of Sunday's matchup against the Bengals. Tomlin continued that Roethlisberger's knees are also "fine." The Bengals are creating pressure at the league's third-lowest rate, likely allowing Ben to get by for at least one more week without having to move outside of the pocket.

DFS Slant:

Ben Roethlisberger doesn't need to practice to play on Sunday. He's a high-floor upside QB for Sunday's main slate.

SOURCE: Mark Kaboly on Twitter

Nov 13, 2020, 1:19 PM ET

Steelers activated QB Ben Roethlisberger from the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Roethlisberger will start Sunday's game with the Bengals. The Steelers cleared him to participate in Saturday's walkthrough after missing practice all week. Roethlisberger playing was expected but this upgrades the Steelers offense. Pittsburgh also activated OL Jerald Hawkins, RB Jaylen Samuels and LB Vince Williams from the COVID list.

Nov 14, 2020, 9:54 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread