What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ben Roethlisberger is awesome (1 Viewer)

blackjack23

Footballguy
Just wanted to post my appreciation for watching Big Ben play. This team plays a huge game every week and this guy seems to bring the team back for the winning drive every week. Simply amazing and fun to watch.

I agree. I love Big Ben. And I also think that, among the media that covers the NFL, he is underappreciated.
:thumbup: The must underrated player in the NFL.
For steelers fans... for what each guy does for his team, who is more underrated... Hines Ward or Big Ben?
Both guys epitomize the Steeler toughness.But I would have to go with Ben as the more underrated. Coming out of college, he was drafted behind Eli and Rivers, and both were considered better prospects. Early in Ben's career, he was inevitably compared to Carson Palmer in the same division, and most experts thought Palmer was the elite guy, not Ben. Ben was called a "game manager" on a running team, despite the fact that it was his passing attack that defeated both Indy and Denver to get the Steelers into the SB a few years back.Even after winning the SB and having numerous 4th quarter combacks, Rothlisberger has never been treated by the press as an elite quarterback along the lines of Favre, Peyton Manning, or Brady. As late as this morning I heard an ESPN radio commentator previewing today's game asking Sal Palantonio: "What about Big Ben? Has the shine worn off?"

Holds onto the ball too long. Sometimes it works out. Too often it doesn't.
Have you looked at this guy's career W-L record? how this guy rides his defense and running game

I think it works out OK.
He doesn't have much of a running game this year. And look at all the 4th quarter comebacks.
Oh come on. If you want to look at his entire career maybe he's underrated. I don't really believe that, but I suppose it's possible. As far as this year goes he has been mediocre at best.

Have you looked at this guy's career W-L record? how this guy rides his defense and running game

I think it works out OK.
He doesn't have much of a running game this year. And look at all the 4th quarter comebacks.
Another :thumbup: I'm not a Steelers fan, but I appreciate one of the elite QBs in the NFL.

He got this reputation along time ago as a game-manager relying on his defense and running game, but there aren't many better playmakers at the position.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think it works out OK.
Great D this year has won games and kept them in games so they can come back. Last week I was very thankful the D scored at the end because I didn't think the O could. And if the O would play better in the first 3 quarters they wouldn't have to come back.

I think it works out OK.
Great D this year has won games and kept them in games so they can come back. Last week I was very thankful the D scored at the end because I didn't think the O could. And if the O would play better in the first 3 quarters they wouldn't have to come back.
True... the Offense has been putrid most of the year. But Ben has done fairly well considering the opponents he has faced. He had a 4 game stretch where he really struggled but could you really blame him entirely? SanBonio hasn't looked like the WR we hoped he would be this season.... stopped routes.... dropped passes.... bonehead fumbles.... putrid blocking (which also applies to the O-Line).Ben had a 4 game stretch where he really sucked... PERIOD. But since then, the Steelers have...

1.) Allowed him to call a lot of his own plays

2.) Not called too many 5 or 7 Step Drops

3.) Not called more than 7 play action passes since the Chargers game (seriously... not many at all)

4.) Ran a little more hurry-up offense to get him into a rhythm

Bottom line... It ain't pretty but he makes plays when he needs to in order to win the game.

Drops have held the team back enormously IMHO, as well as very shoddy O-Line play and RB injuries. They don't employ a bruising runner to help wear down the defense in the 4th Quarter. Mendenhall was supposed to be that guy but Ray Ray dropped the hammer on him the first time around.

Not much has been said about his injury either. It's an injury that they say requires 6-8 weeks of rest for it to heal correctly. Yes... he holds it too long a lot of the time but some of that is his receivers not getting separation. Nate Washington seems to be the only WR to consistently get open but he seems to have a case of the Braylons from time to time.

Ben is top 10 QB... NOT IN FANTASY but in REALITY.

I think it works out OK.
True... the Offense has been putrid most of the year. But Ben has done fairly well considering the opponents he has faced. He had a 4 game stretch where he really struggled but could you really blame him entirely? SanBonio hasn't looked like the WR we hoped he would be this season.... stopped routes.... dropped passes.... bonehead fumbles.... putrid blocking (which also applies to the O-Line).Ben had a 4 game stretch where he really sucked... PERIOD. But since then, the Steelers have...

3.) Not called more than 7 play action passes since the Chargers game (seriously... not many at all)

Bottom line... It ain't pretty but he makes plays when he needs to in order to win the game.

Drops have held the team back enormously IMHO, as well as very shoddy O-Line play and RB injuries. They don't employ a bruising runner to help wear down the defense in the 4th Quarter. Mendenhall was supposed to be that guy but Ray Ray dropped the hammer on him the first time around.
Agreed. What I said, and it went into w-l records, D, running game, etc, is that he holds onto the ball too long. He does...in an effort to make a big play. Sometimes it works out. And we're all happy when it does. When it doesn't...

I think it works out OK.

Agreed. What I said, and it went into w-l records, D, running game, etc, is that he holds onto the ball too long. He does...in an effort to make a big play. Sometimes it works out. And we're all happy when it does. When it doesn't...
That's why we hate him... and we love him.'That's my quarterback... that's my quarterback man... if you blame him then that's unfair!'

Not much has been said about his injury either. It's an injury that they say requires 6-8 weeks of rest for it to heal correctly. Yes... he holds it too long a lot of the time but some of that is his receivers not getting separation. Nate Washington seems to be the only WR to consistently get open but he seems to have a case of the Braylons from time to time.

Ben is top 3 QB... NOT IN FANTASY but in REALITY.
Fixed.

Extremely underated real life QB, maybe mediocre fantasy QB. Last year he had the second highest QB rating in the AFC behind only Tom Brady. This year his team is only 11-3 after playing the toughest schedule in the entire NFL. Let see they just beat SD, Patriots, Cowboys, & Balt all in a row. c mon already give a guy his due.

I like Ben, but I don't think he's got the "heat of the moment" savvy of a lot of stud QBs. The end of yesterday's game was another example. He was scrambling around with tons of time left, wondering if he should call a time-out, etc.

A bit disappointing. Anyone else feel the same way?

I think it works out OK.
we won't deny this, but surely you can see the value in a QB who actually can seize the opportunity when it's there.

Fixed.
IMHO, Ben is a 2nd tier QB along with Eli, McNabb, Romo, and maybe Rodgers, Ryan, and Brees. IOW, top 9 and I'm pretty sure we can arguably put another QB or two around the same level. You can argue that he's #3 and I wouldn't argue hard against it, but it's far from a lock.

I agree. I love Big Ben. And I also think that, among the media that covers the NFL, he is underappreciated.
:shrug: The most overrated player in the NFL.
Fixed, If you notice Steelers get all the close calls all year except for the "called back TD" that had no outcome on the game". PS that was not a TD it was short but, the NFL wants the Steelers in the Superbowl.
:lmao: :lmao: Ben was on the grassy knoll.

Fixed, If you notice Steelers get all the close calls all year except for the "called back TD" that had no outcome on the game". PS that was not a TD it was short but, the NFL wants the Steelers in the Superbowl.
Two weeks from now will be nice and relaxing as we enjoy our first round bye!!! Keep fighting the good fight little boy.........

I like Ben, but I don't think he's got the "heat of the moment" savvy of a lot of stud QBs. The end of yesterday's game was another example. He was scrambling around with tons of time left, wondering if he should call a time-out, etc. A bit disappointing. Anyone else feel the same way?
He drove the team 90 yards or so, inside of 2 minutes, to win a game vs. the 2nd best defense in the league, in their house where the Steelers have been dreadful of late. Not sure how much more "heat of the moment savvy" you can get than that. If a division clinching win is disappointing......How many 4th quarter comebacks does he have in his career total now? Not sure on the number, but it's a bunch.

I like Ben, but I don't think he's got the "heat of the moment" savvy of a lot of stud QBs. The end of yesterday's game was another example. He was scrambling around with tons of time left, wondering if he should call a time-out, etc. A bit disappointing. Anyone else feel the same way?
I thought spiking the ball was a mistake but you can't argue with the result. Two weeks in a row he engineers long TD drives with the game on the line against two of the best defenses in the NFL. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Fixed.
IMHO, Ben is a 2nd tier QB along with Eli, McNabb, Romo, and maybe Rodgers, Ryan, and Brees. IOW, top 9 and I'm pretty sure we can arguably put another QB or two around the same level. You can argue that he's #3 and I wouldn't argue hard against it, but it's far from a lock.
Lock? No. Just my opinion. The way I think about it is : if I was the Steelers' GM and another team called offering to trade me QB "X" straight-up for Roethlisberger (and $$ wasn't a factor) would I do it? Right now, the only two players I'd say yes to are Peyton Manning and Brady, and even those guys are no longer certainties with Brady's knee and Manning's relative age (Ben is only 26, remember.) I wouldn't trade Ben for Romo, Rodgers, E. Manning, Rivers, Cutler, Brees, or McNabb. No way. Brees and Eli are probably the only two I'd even consider.

:) The most overrated player in the NFL.
BGP newsletter gets another subscriber.Why would the NFL want the Steelers in the Super Bowl? Pittsburgh is a tiny market.. wouldn't they prefer teams from big TV markets like the Giants, Jets, Bears, Dolphins, Eagles, etc?

I like Ben, but I don't think he's got the "heat of the moment" savvy of a lot of stud QBs. The end of yesterday's game was another example. He was scrambling around with tons of time left, wondering if he should call a time-out, etc.

A bit disappointing. Anyone else feel the same way?
I thought spiking the ball was a mistake but you can't argue with the result. Two weeks in a row he engineers long TD drives with the game on the line against two of the best defenses in the NFL. Pretty impressive if you ask me.
It was. When he started making the spike motion, I started yelling at the TV. Didn't get that at all. They had another timeout, with the recent GL woes, why waste a down?

:) The most overrated player in the NFL.
BGP newsletter gets another subscriber.Why would the NFL want the Steelers in the Super Bowl? Pittsburgh is a tiny market.. wouldn't they prefer teams from big TV markets like the Giants, Jets, Bears, Dolphins, Eagles, etc?
It is nonsense. He knows it (I think) he's just trying to get a rise out of Steelers fans.

Right now, the only two players I'd say yes to are Peyton Manning and Brady, and even those guys are no longer certainties with Brady's knee and Manning's relative age (Ben is only 26, remember.) I wouldn't trade Ben for Romo, Rodgers, E. Manning, Rivers, Cutler, Brees, or McNabb. No way. Brees and Eli are probably the only two I'd even consider.
I've said since his 2nd year starting the only current QB I'd take for Roethlisberger straight up in a trade, were I the Steelers' GM, would be Brady. Manning had never been a big game QB to that point, back to his days at Tennessee. He's since won a SB, but his overall record in big matchups is still less than inspiring to me. Brady, you can't argue much about his success rate in any games, big or otherwise(videotapes aside).More importantly, I've always though Manning was a whiny pud. :shrug: Brady's not exactly removed from being a pud either....but Peyton has crafted it into an art form. The finger pointing and non-stop yammering at refs just drives me nuts. You never hear most of the truly great QBs throw teammates under the bus. Manning does it at the drop of a hat.

It is nonsense. He knows it (I think) he's just trying to get a rise out of Steelers fans.
It is nonsense, but the Steelers market is much bigger than just Pittsburgh. The same can't be said for the other teams mentioned except maybe Da Bears, and they don't approach the Steelers fan base. The "perfect" Super Bowl for the NFL would probably be Dallas-Pittsburgh.

:goodposting: The most overrated player in the NFL.
LA is a big market why is there not a team in LA. It is not about market size it is about fanbase that is where the NFL makes money not on how many people live in your city. Unfortunately I have had to suffer through 6 or 7 Steeler games this year and I see they get the majority of the 50/50 calls it is like they flip a 2 headed coin and it comes up PIT every time.

LA is a big market why is there not a team in LA. It is not about market size it is about fanbase that is where the NFL makes money not on how many people live in your city. Unfortunately I have had to suffer through 6 or 7 Steeler games this year and I see they get the majority of the 50/50 calls it is like they flip a 2 headed coin and it comes up PIT every time.
So, you're saying the Steeler fan base is so big and so powerful that it's causing the NFL to direct officials to call games Pittsburgh's way in order to get them into the Super Bowl?

"LA is a big market why is there not a team in LA. It is not about market size it is about fanbase that is where the NFL makes money not on how many people live in your city. Unfortunately I have had to suffer through 6 or 7 Steeler games this year and I see they get the majority of the 50/50 calls it is like they flip a 2 headed coin and it comes up PIT every time. "

Pittsburgh normally doesn't get the benefit of the calls. I was tickled pink yesterday. Either way, the few sentences of crazy talk and gibberish you posted is utter rubbish. Move on.

Ben is the man. He wins games. Coming from a former player, I think he is in the top 3-4 QBs that played in this decade.

So, you're saying the Steeler fan base is so big and so powerful that it's causing the NFL to direct officials to call games Pittsburgh's way in order to get them into the Super Bowl?
No I am just pointing out that your Pittsburgh is a tiny market thought is extremely flawed. Its all about fanbase not market size

"LA is a big market why is there not a team in LA. It is not about market size it is about fanbase that is where the NFL makes money not on how many people live in your city. Unfortunately I have had to suffer through 6 or 7 Steeler games this year and I see they get the majority of the 50/50 calls it is like they flip a 2 headed coin and it comes up PIT every time. "

Pittsburgh normally doesn't get the benefit of the calls. I was tickled pink yesterday. Either way, the few sentences of crazy talk and gibberish you posted is utter rubbish. Move on.

Ben is the man. He wins games.
I'm just leading a horse to water here. In trying to rip the Steelers, he instead ends up asserting that Steeler Nation is so powerful that we now collectively affect the outcome of games ON THE FIELD. :goodposting:

I'm just leading a horse to water here. In trying to rip the Steelers, he instead ends up asserting that Steeler Nation is so powerful that we now collectively affect the outcome of games ON THE FIELD. :goodposting:
They better let us win. Or else!Our Defense is suffocating. Its sad to say I prefer watching them than our Offensive units. I get goosebumps watching Harrison.

I'm just leading a horse to water here. In trying to rip the Steelers, he instead ends up asserting that Steeler Nation is so powerful that we now collectively affect the outcome of games ON THE FIELD. :rant:
Dude your not smart even to "leading a horse to water" I never denied the Steelers have a strong fan base and I never said that the fan base determines the outcome of a game, I just pointed out how you wrong on the size of the market matters to the NFL its all about fan base.

Great for real football, not so great for fantasy, though.
Absolutely true.
Pittsburgh normally doesn't get the benefit of the calls. I was tickled pink yesterday. Either way, the few sentences of crazy talk and gibberish you posted is utter rubbish. Move on.Ben is the man. He wins games. Coming from a former player, I think he is in the top 3-4 QBs that played in this decade.
If Ken Doll Mike thinks this, who is ANYONE to argue? No one, that's who.I still miss you and your "Charlie McCarthy" chin strap barking out plays, Mike. Whatchoo up to these days anyway?

Great for real football, not so great for fantasy, though.
Absolutely true.
Pittsburgh normally doesn't get the benefit of the calls. I was tickled pink yesterday. Either way, the few sentences of crazy talk and gibberish you posted is utter rubbish. Move on.Ben is the man. He wins games. Coming from a former player, I think he is in the top 3-4 QBs that played in this decade.
If Ken Doll Mike thinks this, who is ANYONE to argue? No one, that's who.I still miss you and your "Charlie McCarthy" chin strap barking out plays, Mike. Whatchoo up to these days anyway?
SMG sports management. The family thing. Funny, I think I was the last good QB to play for the Lions (aside from Charlie Batch). Equipment sure has come along way.I keep waiting to hear from ESPN for a "where are they now" segment, but no one is calling..Now we can look forward to watching the current great Steeler QB in the playoffs at home!

Users who are viewing this thread