What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bengals might let Kitna walk (2 Viewers)

gbill2004

Footballguy
Bengals | Might let Kitna walkSun, 15 Jan 2006 10:43:10 -0800Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports the latest word from inside the Cincinnati Bengals organization is they might be willing to let backup QB Jon Kitna leave as a free agent to pursue an upgrade behind QB Carson Palmer.

Who will be available that's an upgrade to Kitna?I think Kitna could still be a decent starting QB in this league on a team like Baltimore. I'd take Kitna as a back-up in Pittsburgh in a heart beat. The Bungles can have Maddox!

The only man I can think of who might be on the market who might be an upgrade for Kitna on a short term (one year) basis is Steve McNair.It sounds to me like the Bengals are looking for an excuse to cheap out instead of paying Kitna what he deserves to forego a chance to be a starter to help them out of a bind.

Don't laugh too hard but IF he's let go, Joey Harrington would be an upgrade to Kitna and could shine there until Palmer returns.edit to add that I don't think he'll be let go.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can the Bengals say they are willing to let Kitna go. Kitna is a free agent and Cincy is not gonna franchise a backup qb and Kitna is the one to decide where he plays next yr, not the Bengals.

How can the Bengals say they are willing to let Kitna go.  Kitna is a free agent and Cincy is not gonna franchise a backup qb and Kitna is the one to decide where he plays next yr, not the Bengals.
"Let go" = To not tender an offer. I'll take just about any other QB with half a brain and a better arm over Kitna. He doesn't have 1/4 of what it takes to lead a team to victory, he only has what it takes to come close and just fall short in the end, or blow it all together by his lonesome.

I said this in another post, but with Palmer's knees (2 seasons ended with knee injuries), they HAVE to think long term and get a younger backup that can throw the long ball. Next year will be Kitna's 10th season, and he won't be cheap to bring back. I don't think he can run the Bengals offense anymore.CJ and Aaron Brooks in the same locker room? Uh....no.McCown is a better fit.Harrington trashed the Bengals on draft day when he came out. Some folks have long memories.

Is Rivers on the market? If Palmer's knee is truly "shredded," and he'll never be the QB he was before, they'll need someone young, not a 10+ year vet like Kitna (although I personally like Kitna).

The only man I can think of who might be on the market who might be an upgrade for Kitna on a short term (one year) basis is Steve McNair.

It sounds to me like the Bengals are looking for an excuse to cheap out instead of paying Kitna what he deserves to forego a chance to be a starter to help them out of a bind.
Now, let me get this straight. You're saying that:1 -- McNair is willing to leave the only team he's ever played for to be...a backup in Cincy?

2 -- And...that he's willing to do it for less money than...Kitna?

Explain that to me.

Don't laugh too hard but IF he's let go, Joey Harrington would be an upgrade to Kitna and could shine there until Palmer returns.

edit to add that I don't think he'll be let go.
I don't think so. His confidence is shot. A QB(or really any NFL player) is useless without it. I think he needs some "back to basics" work in TC and a QB coach to take him under his wing. Relief role might not be bad for him then(midseason) but I wouldn't want him starting week 1. Interesting choice though and I'd be darn curious if it happenned.

If Palmer's knee is so bad that his career is "done" or he's a shadow of his former self....then they have to cut him and re-sign him before March or renegotiate it. He was just signed to a long long contract worth a ridiculous sum of money. I wanna guess 8-10 years and 100 mil. I don't think it is. See injury/surgery threads. It could have been real bad but it definitely seemed like the doc was selling it as a bad bad thing but I saved him with an "I'm the greatest" egotistical tone.

The Lions will be scrambling to find a veteran QB to either start the 2006 season or to solidly back up the starter. I could see Kitna ending up in Detroit.

The only man I can think of who might be on the market who might be an upgrade for Kitna on a short term (one year) basis is Steve McNair.

It sounds to me like the Bengals are looking for an excuse to cheap out instead of paying Kitna what he deserves to forego a chance to be a starter to help them out of a bind.
Now, let me get this straight. You're saying that:1 -- McNair is willing to leave the only team he's ever played for to be...a backup in Cincy?

2 -- And...that he's willing to do it for less money than...Kitna?

Explain that to me.
Wow. How did you get either of those things from what I said?1) I don't see McNair leaving if he gets to choose, but he might not get to choose. I used the word "might", didn't I?

2) I didn't say that, either. I would expect Cincy to pay more for McNair as an upgrade to Kitna than they would have paid Kitna. My point is that he's the only guy I see out there as an upgrade, which makes me think they want to cheap out and not pay what they should. I think they want to go out and get a guy like Gus Frerotte if he gets cut.

I think Kitna could still be a decent starting QB in this league on a team like Baltimore.
RAVENS LIKE KITNA: The quarterback’s comments early last week that he will test free agency appear to have reached enthusiastic ears in the Baltimore organization. Unless former first-round pick Kyle Boller develops into the long-term answer, offensive-minded coach Brian Billick is 0-10 in his efforts to find a starter to stabilize the offense. Word, too, is that offensive coordinator Jim Fassel will be back.LINK

The Lions will be scrambling to find a veteran QB to either start the 2006 season or to solidly back up the starter. I could see Kitna ending up in Detroit.
Unfortunately as a Lions fan, I have a hunch this may happen too. The team is most likely not going to be interested in developing another young QB (and the Lions can get him relatively cheap without having to give up a draft pick if they went after someone like Volek. Frankly, I don't think Kitna is much of an upgrade over Harrington.

Bengals | Might let Kitna walk

Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:43:10 -0800

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports the latest word from inside the Cincinnati Bengals organization is they might be willing to let backup QB Jon Kitna leave as a free agent to pursue an upgrade behind QB Carson Palmer.
Their first-string QB is seriously hurt, may not be ready for at least the beginning of next season, so they decide to let their second-string QB go?Am I thinking backwards, or does that make little sense? Is this a "story" floated by an agent?

The cost/benefit with Kitna isn't going to be worth it for Cincy. The vertical game is a big part of their offense now and Kitna can't throw the deep ball. He's been a good soldier and good mentor to Carson, but he'll command (low-grade) starter $ and that won't help given the cap-space the Bengals have cleared. Part of the question of course is who used the word upgrade - is that the words of the reporter or of the Bengals? The Bengals may have said they'll look elsewhere and the reporter dutiful and helpfully added in the word better. That said, if you look at the 2 games he played, I don't think he cut it, unfortunately (though the circumstances were tough to be sure - one with a resting team against KC the other coming in cold off the bench).I took a peek at Griese and well - the only problem with taking him is that you'd be getting a 2nd QB with knee issues. I don't know how he is at the deep ball. I do think that's a prime concern. McCown is intriguing, though he hasn't been Mr. Consistency either. What is Holcomb's status with Buffalo? The fact that I'm asking this indicates the thinness of the position, eh? Patrick Ramsey? These are the names out there. Brooks starts looking a little better, I'm afraid.Or how about one year of Brett Favre?!? :loco: Ya never know ;) -QG

Users who are viewing this thread