What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Christmas Movies (1 Viewer)

I've heard this one mentioned and on the surface, it looks like it's got a great cast. But it has terrible reviews and 25% at Rotten Tomatoes. That's not good.

Jeez: The Hollywood Reporter called the film "one of the most joyless Christmas movies ever" with "an unearned feel-good ending [that] adds insult to injury"
I think it's pretty underrated.

Chemistry between Vaughn and Witherspoon was very nice. Basically they are two people that weren't thrilled with how they grew up, and are a modern yuppie-type couple. They make up elaborate stories to take Xmas holiday away from their family. Plans fall thru, hijinks ensues. The casting of both of their families was pretty great, I thought. You really need to like that character that Vince Vaughn plays in every movie, which I do. And I love Reece.

I don't think 'Christmas with my family sucks, they are a mess' is a familiar Christmas movie trope, but maybe it should be. A lot of people can relate.

It's not going to be replayed 40 years from now, but I will watch it 5 times in a row before I watch The Santa Clause.

I've heard this one mentioned and on the surface, it looks like it's got a great cast. But it has terrible reviews and 25% at Rotten Tomatoes. That's not good.

Jeez: The Hollywood Reporter called the film "one of the most joyless Christmas movies ever" with "an unearned feel-good ending [that] adds insult to injury"
I think it's pretty underrated.

Chemistry between Vaughn and Witherspoon was very nice. Basically they are two people that weren't thrilled with how they grew up, and are a modern yuppie-type couple. They make up elaborate stories to take Xmas holiday away from their family. Plans fall thru, hijinks ensues. The the casting of both of their families was pretty great, I thought. You really need to like that character that Vince Vaughn plays in every movie, which I do. And I love Reece.

I don't think 'Christmas with my family sucks, they are a mess' is a familiar Christmas movie trope, but maybe it should be. A lot of people can relate.

It's not going to be replayed 40 years from now, but I will watch it 5 times in a row before I watch The Santa Clause.

Just saw that Dwight Yokam is in it, so that's enough for me. He could act in a play about mimes and I'd pay to go see it.

Just saw that Dwight Yokam is in it, so that's enough for me. He could act in a play about mimes and I'd pay to go see it.
100%.

You know those lines from movies that stick with you, make you laugh more than anyone else?

Dwight Yoakam in the opening scene from Wedding Crashers, playing the fighting divorcing couple with Rebecca DeMornay. DeMornay reaches for a prescription from her purse, and Yoakam says, "Thaaat's it, go comatose for me, baby...."

My favorite line from that whole movie.

1. Christmas Vacation - one of my favorite movies and top 2-3 comedy ever, IMO
2. It's a Wonderful Life - watch it every single year and still love it
3. Elf - best one for all ages, usually watch it every year
4. Home Alone - still good and heartwarming and good for all ages
5. Die Hard - great CHRISTMAS movie, but not my wife's cup of tea so I only watch it every few years by myself
6. Scrooged - underrated comedy (but I'm a big Murray fan)
7. A Christmas Story - I used to avoid it, but it has grown on me. A lot of funny scenes
8. How the Grinch Stole Christmas - original old animated version, short and classic. The dog cracked me up as a kid
9. The Santa Clause - kids loved this one and Tim Allen is decent
10. Charlie Brown Christmas - another classic animated short

1. Christmas Vacation - one of my favorite movies and top 2-3 comedy ever, IMO
2. It's a Wonderful Life - watch it every single year and still love it
3. Elf - best one for all ages, usually watch it every year
4. Home Alone - still good and heartwarming and good for all ages
5. Die Hard - great CHRISTMAS movie, but not my wife's cup of tea so I only watch it every few years by myself
6. Scrooged - underrated comedy (but I'm a big Murray fan)
7. A Christmas Story - I used to avoid it, but it has grown on me. A lot of funny scenes
8. How the Grinch Stole Christmas - original old animated version, short and classic. The dog cracked me up as a kid
9. The Santa Clause - kids loved this one and Tim Allen is decent
10. Charlie Brown Christmas - another classic animated short
I've started it a few times over the years and didn't love it. I finally watched it again last night for the first time in several years and liked it quite a bit.

For those that listed A Christmas Story have you seen A Christmas Story Christmas? I believe it came out last year and its above the original on my list. A must watch for me

For those that listed A Christmas Story have you seen A Christmas Story Christmas? I believe it came out last year and its above the original on my list. A must watch for me
I tried. Wife didn't like it at all and wanted to quit. I hung on for about 20 minutes then stopped it. Haven't bothered to revisit, with or without her

For me

Its a wonderful life
Christmas Carol
Die Hard
A Christmas Story
White Christmas

Kids (19 and 17 now :cry: )

Polar Express is their generation’s quintessential Christmas movie. It’s grown on me over the years buts still slow.

Elf - personally I’m not a fan. I like Ron Burgundy/anchorman, but all his other stuff is just one long, overblown SNL skit to me.

A Garfield Christmas Special- It's not the giving. It's not the getting. It's the loving

Rudolph

Most Underrated: The Family Man (Nic Cage and Tea Leoni) or Emmet Otter's Jugband Xmas

Favorite: Elf

Best: Home Alone

Most Overrated: A Christmas Story

Best Children's: Rudolph the Red Nosed Raindeer (1964)

Not a Xmas Movie: DieHard
If Home Alone is a Christmas movie so is Die Hard. Neither are about Christmas. They're set during Christmas. Decorations. References. Etc. But, they aren't about Christmas.

We watch a ton... lots of good ones posted in here. One I haven't seen posted here yet that is low key hilarious is Surviving Christmas with Ben Affleck, Christina Applegate, James Gandolfini, Cathrine O'Hara

Most Underrated: The Family Man (Nic Cage and Tea Leoni) or Emmet Otter's Jugband Xmas

If Home Alone is a Christmas movie so is Die Hard. Neither are about Christmas. They're set during Christmas. Decorations. References. Etc. But, they aren't about Christmas.
The difference is the entire premise of Home Alone is that the family left to spend Christmas in France and that the thieves were targeting homes that were vacant due to spending the holidays elsewhere. That's a pretty essential component to the entire hijinks.

The difference is the entire premise of Home Alone is that the family left to spend Christmas in France and that the thieves were targeting homes that were vacant due to spending the holidays elsewhere. That's a pretty essential component to the entire hijinks.
The terrorists in Die Hard specifically targeted Nakatomi Plaza during the company Christmas Party so all of their hostages would be isolated in one spot on the 30th floor.

The terrorists in Die Hard specifically targeted Nakatomi Plaza during the company Christmas Party so all of their hostages would be isolated in one spot on the 30th floor.
Boom... roasted!

And how would that be different if they had a Summer Party celebrating a big merger or some such thing. No difference. Christmas is not an essential theme.

And how would that be different if they had a Summer Party celebrating a big merger or some such thing. No difference. Christmas is not an essential theme.
You could say the same thing about Home Alone or Home Alone 2. What if the McCallister's go to France or Florida for summer vacation instead of Christmas Break?

You could say the same thing about Home Alone or Home Alone 2. What if the McCallister's go to France or Florida for summer vacation instead of Christmas Break?
everyone on that block goes on summer vacation on the same week?

I'm now going to have to watch Elf this weekend.

Already caught It's a Wonderful Life & Scrooged.

Saving Christmas Vacation for the 23-24th weekend.

Christmas Vacation (you serious, Clark?)
Home Alone (keep the change ya filthy animals)
Christmas Story (you'll shoot your eye out)
The Grinch (the one with Jim Carrey)

All required viewing in our house, usually in the week leading up to Christmas.

I've never seen Die Hard but it doesn't sound like a Christmas movie :shrug:

You should see it. It’s awesome. Just not a Xmas movie

Whaaat? Set aside the Xmas or not thing, it's one of the best action films of all time. It's been copied so many times now but it still a magic the copies can't touch. It's a Christmas action movie with the action in bold.

Do you play Dan Fogelberg's Same Old Lang Syne with it? (Not a Christmas song but radio stations only play it at Christmas time.)

Users who are viewing this thread