What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Coffee Maker - Need to retire our Keurig (1 Viewer)

Keerock

Footballguy
Calling all coffee drinkers...

We have been using a Keurig for the last 4-5 years. It's easy and functional, but really not very good/fresh coffee and doesn't give us everything we want.

So what are you all using at home for your coffee? Here are some of our "requirements"

1. Single serve. Need the machine to make one cup at a time, differing sizes from 8-20+ oz
  2. Support easy change for different varieties - regular vs caffeinated, espresso vs coffee
  3. Ability to support milk frothing (nice to have)
  4. Pods vs beans vs ground - don't really care as long as it's easy to change.
  5. Easy cleanup
Any help would be appreciated.

Senseo machine is single serve that has pods that are like tea bags. It gives you foam/crema on every cup. Plenty of variety, good prices. It helped that my parents owned one first.

Whats the problem with the basic 30 dolllar black mr coffee machine that they sell at Target/walmart?

Keurig's are the worst, all of that plastic production for a single cup of coffee. The company I work for has done a big sustainability push, but they still have all these single use coffee makers that create tons of extra plastic that needs dealt with.

It is easy to make a small amount of coffee in a basic cheap coffee maker.

Whats the problem with the basic 30 dolllar black mr coffee machine that they sell at Target/walmart?

Keurig's are the worst, all of that plastic production for a single cup of coffee. The company I work for has done a big sustainability push, but they still have all these single use coffee makers that create tons of extra plastic that needs dealt with.

Nespresso's pods are recyclable. When you order pods, they send you a bag with a prepaid UPS label for you to return your used pods.

Can you get actual good coffee to drink out of these...... serious question..... folgers and that nonsense is awful..... I honestly don't know

Also, Nespresso's customer service has been great. Once, my wife ordered new pods online but accidentally put in my daughter's college address. After a few days of not receiving our order, my wife called customer service. They told her it went to our daughter's address and that it had already been delivered. They delivered another order to us at no cost.

We just have whatever the one Costco one is. The filter is reusable.

We grind the coffee beans when we make the coffee the evening before. Dark roast mostly.

Takes all of 3 minutes to make.

We have this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSACZGH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We like it. We aren't super duper serious coffee drinkers. Nespresso has many other models with more options.
This.

And it makes pretty solid coffee.

Side hack: You can press the brew button more than once on a pod and still get decent strength coffee.
Nice. I'll have to try that. This machine maxes out at 8 oz, but maybe I'll try one pod twice to get more rather than two pods.

My daughter, being a poor college student, re-uses empty pods by scooping in cheaper grounds from a grocery store. I guess that's the modern version of living off of ramen.

Can you get actual good coffee to drink out of these...... serious question..... folgers and that nonsense is awful..... I honestly don't know

Yeah, you can grind your own beans, same as any other coffee machine. You would need a separate grinder though.

No

@Keerock

-I want to echo the Moccamaster, my wife and I had a Mr Coffee type for like 10 years, bought several and when they went south we just bought a new one.
-The La Marzocco is the absolute best machine you could ever buy HOWEVER they run about $7,000 and go up from there.

The Moccamaster is about $300-$350, highly recommend you buy the coffee filters made specifically for this machine.
When I first bought it, I would rate it 4/5 stars, after making 100 pots of coffee with this machine, I'm a lot closer to say 4.5/4.75, there are a couple of drawbacks, they're minor
This machine will last you a long time and the coffee is really good but the kind of coffee you put in the machine has a lot to do with it. I buy from a local coffee spot, they roast their own beans, and they don't just buy the beans from a local spot, they roast them in the store, many times as I am in there buying my coffee. $15-$18 for a 12 oz bag, they ain't cheap.

Moccamaster comes in a wide variety of bright colors, we bought orange and it's beautiful. The machine is pretty heavy duty, pot made in under 2.5 minutes, and I like how you can pull the top off and actually stir the beans as the water is cascading over them, wonderful little machine.
We could have survived on another $30 Mr Coffee but this was a treat for the two of us.
It's used almost daily and any left over coffee makes excellent iced coffee later that day or even the next morning
Delicious cup of joe, I would try one out

Last edited:

Keurigs don’t make very good coffee in general, but there is a pretty easy solution as long as you don’t have the ones that require QR codes or whatever on the pods. I have a reusable filter that I can just scoop coffee into, brew, and then rinse out. It’s not only environmentally friendly, it’s way cheaper.

We primarily use:
Does this require the whole "puck" shenanigans?
Wife likes lattes. I like cappuccino. Grind. Pack. Pull. Froth.

When we want “pots” of coffee, we use a French press
we have a french press and a euro style stove top coffee maker as well for when we want more volume

We got this about 5 months ago https://us.moccamaster.com/collections/thermal-carafe-brewers but it won't meet your needs. coffee is great. Also have a Gaggia Accedemia Espresso machine for espresso/cappucino/latte.
Since we didn't buy the La Marzocco, we are planning on buying a 2nd machine, perhaps just for espresso, my wife seems to like the Nespresso machines.
I don't care for them but you know Phil, not everything is about me and so I plan on getting one for her, I'm going to set it in her office, she's on Zoom/work all day in there.

-Jimmy Butler takes a La Marzocco with him on the road all season, I was so jealous reading about this. I just can't spend that when I could buy a Moccamaster for almost every member of my family and still have quite a bit leftover in my pocket.

We also got ours earlier this year,. I have a friend who has had one for 5+ years, no signs of stopping.

I’ve had a Jura super-automatic for about 6 years now — pretty pricey, but I’ve been happy with it. One-touch for coffees, espressos, lattes, cappucinos, macchiatos. I don’t think the coffee is better one way than some other ways, but I like the ease of use.

I’ve had a Jura super-automatic for about 6 years now — pretty pricey, but I’ve been happy with it. One-touch for coffees, espressos, lattes, cappucinos, macchiatos. I don’t think the coffee is better one way than some other ways, but I like the ease of use.
Looking at those too, but :moneybag: :eek:

I feel like I paid $700 or so at Costco for mine, but, yeah, looks like Jura models are double that now. I think could get a good super automatic around that range though (I remember researching Gaggia back then too).

I feel like I paid $700 or so at Costco for mine, but, yeah, looks like Jura models are double that now. I think could get a good super automatic around that range though (I remember researching Gaggia back then too).
We have a Gaggia and I like it.

My next one will be an expensive Jura, though. They are ridiculously quiet compared to mine and it's something I will splurge for when the time comes.

But, I didn't recommend it here because of the desire to use different beans. That's not easy with super automatics that have a bean hopper. This was what prompted us to get the Nespresso as well since my wife doesn't drink as much coffee as me but likes different beans/taste than me.

My next one will be an expensive Jura, though. They are ridiculously quiet compared to mine and it's something I will splurge for when the time comes.

But, I didn't recommend it here because of the desire to use different beans. That's not easy with super automatics that have a bean hopper. This was what prompted us to get the Nespresso as well since my wife doesn't drink as much coffee as me but likes different beans/taste than me.
With mine, there is a bean hopper, but also a place to add ground coffee. So, can mix it up a bit.

With mine, there is a bean hopper, but also a place to add ground coffee. So, can mix it up a bit.
Same, but buying whole beans is better. And if I'm grinding myself, kinda defeats the purpose of the super automatic.

But yes, that's what we did until we added the Nespresso.

No

You can get coffee that tastes just as good, it is more work than those automatic systems but then again is dirt cheap for the setup.

Get a quality bean and grind right before brewing, that is the key.

Not sure the advantages of French Press over a Pour Over, but I use pour over at the office as makes good cup. Just find the beans you like. Easy cleanup and makes one cup at a time.

I do like both Nespresso and Keurig as well but there is a bit of waste there with the pods if that is a concern.

I do like French Press coffee, but it’s really only good for that. No espresso, not terribly quick, easy. As for pods, honestly couldn’t care less about recyclability, but would take advantage of the nespresso send back option.

My son (and, it turns out, GB @Drunken knight) have a Breville puck system that I know makes great coffee, but with the hassle of the puck, so may go that route.

Wife works at WS, so get a nice discount there. We’re narrowing it down…

Last edited:
@Keerock

-I want to echo the Moccamaster, my wife and I had a Mr Coffee type for like 10 years, bought several and when they went south we just bought a new one.
-The La Marzocco is the absolute best machine you could ever buy HOWEVER they run about $7,000 and go up from there.

The Moccamaster is about $300-$350, highly recommend you buy the coffee filters made specifically for this machine.
When I first bought it, I would rate it 4/5 stars, after making 100 pots of coffee with this machine, I'm a lot closer to say 4.5/4.75, there are a couple of drawbacks, they're minor
This machine will last you a long time and the coffee is really good but the kind of coffee you put in the machine has a lot to do with it. I buy from a local coffee spot, they roast their own beans, and they don't just buy the beans from a local spot, they roast them in the store, many times as I am in there buying my coffee. $15-$18 for a 12 oz bag, they ain't cheap.

Moccamaster comes in a wide variety of bright colors, we bought orange and it's beautiful. The machine is pretty heavy duty, pot made in under 2.5 minutes, and I like how you can pull the top off and actually stir the beans as the water is cascading over them, wonderful little machine.
We could have survived on another $30 Mr Coffee but this was a treat for the two of us.
It's used almost daily and any left over coffee makes excellent iced coffee later that day or even the next morning
We’ve had one of these since 2007. Yes, it’s lasted 16 years and still makes great coffee. We’ve only had to replace a stained carafe. Frankly the only two drawbacks are that beans matter and (at least the 2007) you can only make “8” cups (which is really 4 human cups). That’s it.

@Keerock

We’ve had one of these since 2007. Yes, it’s lasted 16 years and still makes great coffee. We’ve only had to replace a stained carafe. Frankly the only two drawbacks are that beans matter and (at least the 2007) you can only make “8” cups (which is really 4 human cups). That’s it.
One of my pet peeves is that Technivorm measures a cup of coffee as 4oz which is just incredibly small
12 oz of coffee is considered 3 cups.
You need 4 healthy scoops of coffee to make 6 cups or 24 oz of coffee
That said, it does make a damn good cup of coffee and I tend not to buy coffee outside of the house often so you save a lot drinking at home.

I do like French Press coffee, but it’s really only good for that. No espresso, not terribly quick, easy. As for pods, honestly couldn’t care less about recyclability, but would take advantage of the nespresso send back option.

My son (and, it turns out, GB @Drunken knight) have a Breville puck system that I know makes great coffee, but with the hassle of the puck, so may go that route.

Wife works at WS, so get a nice discount there. We’re narrowing it down…

This seems to check all your boxes.

It won best overall single serve coffee maker with Spruce Eats.

It doesn't make espresso for your lattes. It makes...

a super-rich coffee concentrate that you can use to create delicious lattes, macchiatos, cappuccinos, and other coffeehouse-style drinks.

That's probably akin to what an aeropress tries to pass off as espresso. I think as long as the end result is a latte or cappuccino, then it's pretty good. Anyway, I'm tempted. I have an off-brand single serve I like because like this ninja, it doesn't use pods. Brews my fancy overpriced beans nicely, though not as good as a pour-over, which is my most common daily coffee ritual. Anyway, it also uses a showerhead automated pour over design like the Moccamaster for full pots, half carafes... six different sizes. Seems versatile. Has the frother too.

We have been using a Keurig for the last 4-5 years. It's easy and functional, but really not very good/fresh coffee and doesn't give us everything we want.

So what are you all using at home for your coffee? Here are some of our "requirements"

1. Single serve. Need the machine to make one cup at a time, differing sizes from 8-20+ oz
  2. Support easy change for different varieties - regular vs caffeinated, espresso vs coffee
  5. Easy cleanup
I recommend digging through the coffee-nerdness of Coffee Reddit. You'll figure out quickly these people take it way too far, but they know their stuff.

If you buy a machine that does all that, it won't do any of it great. If a $300 machine made espresso, single serving coffee, and foam, restaurants would use them instead of leasing $3000 machines.

Agree with what someone said before: having whole beans and grinding them when you make coffee will make the difference. I have no interest in anything to do with pods.
Skip the foam attachment, and get a $30 milk frother from Amazon. They work unbelievably well

This is mine.

5. Easy cleanup
I recommend digging through the coffee-nerdness of Coffee Reddit. You'll figure out quickly these people take it way too far, but they know their stuff.

If you buy a machine that does all that, it won't do any of it great. If a $300 machine made espresso, single serving coffee, and foam, restaurants would use them instead of leasing $3000 machines.

Agree with what someone said before: having whole beans and grinding them when you make coffee will make the difference. I have no interest in anything to do with pods.
Skip the foam attachment, and get a $30 milk frother from Amazon. They work unbelievably well

This is mine.

Not sure the advantages of French Press over a Pour Over, but I use pour over at the office as makes good cup. Just find the beans you like. Easy cleanup and makes one cup at a time.

I do like both Nespresso and Keurig as well but there is a bit of waste there with the pods if that is a concern.
I want to switch to pour over... but I am looking for a magic kettle that I can set the water temp on. What do you use to heat water in the office?

Also, who has a lead on a decent quality, but not overly expensive, burr grinder?

5. Easy cleanup

This is mine.
Linky no worky

I have a Phillps Lattego. I think it's the 3200 model. Love it. I got it at the start of COVID. Uses whole beans. Grinds one cup at a time. Makes coffee, americano, expresso, latte, macchiato. Fully automatic. Froths the milk for the beverages that need it. The frother uses steam and a little cyclone type thing so it's really easy to wash afterwards.

It has a hopper for the beans - if you occasionally want decaf, you just have to buy some decaf ground coffee and you just select pre-ground vs. fresh grind and dump a scoop of grinds into a little slot. That basically bypasses the fresh bean grind and lets you use any coffee you want as long as it's pre-ground.

Minimal maintenance was key for me - I rinse the brew unit out about 1x per month...empty the grinds and waste water as needed. Works for me.

Here is a question for the audience, how many oz of coffee do you drink daily?
I made 24 oz in the Moccamaster this morning and drank all of it while working at home
I get the vibe that some of you just want a 6-8 oz cup of coffee and that's all you drink

Why? I do hear that you should limit your coffee intake as you age or get older and I just wonder if you are handicapping the field of potential great coffee machines because you cannot make 16-24 oz half pots of coffee and use it up throughout the day.
I have an Engel tumbler for coffee, very well insulated and keeps coffee piping hot for hours and hours, can go to it 12 hours later, might not be hot but it still tastes good.

-I don't froth although we have 2 of them given to us as Christmas gifts, we just like to pour in cold organic half n half, no sugar

5. Easy cleanup

This is mine.
Linky no worky

I made 24 oz in the Moccamaster this morning and drank all of it while working at home
I get the vibe that some of you just want a 6-8 oz cup of coffee and that's all you drink

Why? I do hear that you should limit your coffee intake as you age or get older and I just wonder if you are handicapping the field of potential great coffee machines because you cannot make 16-24 oz half pots of coffee and use it up throughout the day.
I have an Engel tumbler for coffee, very well insulated and keeps coffee piping hot for hours and hours, can go to it 12 hours later, might not be hot but it still tastes good.

-I don't froth although we have 2 of them given to us as Christmas gifts, we just like to pour in cold organic half n half, no sugar
I like 20oz in the morning, and then sometimes another 20oz mid afternoon

ETA: way more than Wozzow...

I’m probably 12 ounces coffee in the morning, and then an espresso in the afternoon.

I want to switch to pour over... but I am looking for a magic kettle that I can set the water temp on. What do you use to heat water in the office?

Also, who has a lead on a decent quality, but not overly expensive, burr grinder?

I have had this for a decade. It's pretty good. A plastic bit broke and Bodum sent me the part for free about three years ago. No better price anywhere. I just ordered another.

I also have Bodum's electric gooseneck kettle for pour overs. It works great but now thermometer or setting for water temps. Just take it to a boil and wait a minute to start pour.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread