What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Defense (1 Viewer)

luckycow515

Footballguy
What team do you guys think has the best D. I think it might be Phillie, Considering who they've played so far. What do you guys think? if you can, tell why.

Really thought the Bills had a chance to be elite, but I'm not so sure.

Tenn seems to be a good choice, too.

I'm assuming that you're asking the best FANTASY defense. If so, I think there are a few potentials. One key is that it has to be a team with an offense that can sustain drives (read: keep the defense fresh and off the field), but also an offense that doesn't score or move the ball too quickly.

As for the defense, there should be some playmakers and sacks, but the biggest key is simply preventing points IMO. Add on a strong special teams component, and you have a juggernaut.

Teams that come to mind:

- Bears - If the offense can get more consistent as the year goes on with Lloyd and another receiver stepping up to balance the surprising running game. The problem the Bears have had the last two weeks is not being able to sustain drives on offense late in the game and the defense playing far too much. They have the playmakers on D and special teams and will never score a ton.

- Bills - Not as strong as the Bears in pure D, but with a great special teams and more steady offense.

- Titans - D is as strong as Bears, with an offense that can sustain drives better. Only problem here is the offense certainly can stall plenty and the special teams is not as elite.

- Minnesota - Again, they need the offense to help them out more and don't have great special teams, but with the run stopping force and a superb running game, if Frerotte can just keep the D a little more rested I could see them doing great.

- Bucs - Tampa same mold as the above teams but a little older on D I think and with less pure playmakers on D and special teams.

- Ravens - Will hold teams and run a ton... they look pretty stingy thus far, but you never know how tough the competition was as Cinci looked way out of sync and Cleveland is just brutal right now...

There are others, but these come to mind first.

Tenn hasn't played the stiffest competition, but they still get my vote. 11 sacks, 5 turn overs, less than 10 points per game and less than 250 total yds per game allowed through 3 games is impressive.

Tenn has looked dominant...Interested in seeing them against Indy this year.
Tenn only gave up 32 points and 575 yds in 2 games vs. Indy last year. Granted one of those games was 22 points and 381 yds.... but that means the other was 10 points and 194 yds.

I've gotten steady points so far from the Steelers. They blitz a lot, and I get a few points for every sack. Also they don't give up a ton of points.

If you're looking for sacks... Pittsburgh and Philly still blitz a ton. The blitzes make it hard to run against for yardage leagues and the pressure forces turnovers.

If you're looking for def TDs... Minnesota and Baltimore stand out to me. The offenses struggle, it's like the D guys are looking to score and not just force a punt.

If you're looking for the Special Teams boost... Buffalo always has a good ST and they're loaded with return aces. Hester needs no mention.

Some teams that are playing some real sound football defense are Tennessee of coarse. They were doing this at the end of last year and they've seemed to turn it up a notch. Othere Ds that deserve consideration are NYG and TB because the coordinators bring pressure.

Not so much Fantasy but Philly's D didn't look bad at all on sunday... ruined big bens day. Sure looks like the blitz is back in Philly.

Not only do I expect the Ravens to finish in the top 2 defenses, I expect them to win the division.

The Ravens have the best real defense in the NFL based on what I see.

Best NFL defense - Tennessee, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo are above the rest in my eyes. Philly has a beatable secondary and their LB's are uninspiring, Baltimore's fun to watch but they're susceptible to the big play and without Kelly Gregg their run D is 'just good' instead of elite.

Best fantasy defense - Kansas City's opponent

Really thought the Bills had a chance to be elite, but I'm not so sure.
Same here. They looked awful against a putrid Raiders' offense and that shouldn't happen to a great defense. They looked real ordinary in Week 2 against the Jags too.The Titans look to me to be the top fantasy defense right now.

Best NFL defense - Tennessee, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo are above the rest in my eyes. Philly has a beatable secondary and their LB's are uninspiring, Baltimore's fun to watch but they're susceptible to the big play and without Kelly Gregg their run D is 'just good' instead of elite.Best fantasy defense - Kansas City's opponent
Very.. :unsure:

I'm a homer so take this with a grain of salt but I think Chicago will wind up the best D at the end of the year. In my league the top 4 D's are:

Titans - Oustanding D leading the league in picks, but they haven't faced a great offense yet. Fortunately their schedule looks pretty easy other than a game with Green Bay, Indy, and Pittsburgh week 16. If Collins can keep the Titans offense on the field (I have my doubts) this D could easily dominate the league. I do think they wind up top 5 at the end of the season.

Baltimore - They've only beaten up on Cincy and Cleveland so far, not exactly powerhouses. I think the Ravens will struggle all year offensively. Their inability to consistently move the ball, stay on the field and chew up clock, and frequent turnovers will hurt the defense. Let's check back in 3 weeks after they play Pittsburgh, Tennessee, and Indy and see where they are. I think by the end of the season they're not even in the top 10.

Philly - The Eagles are tied for the league lead in sacks and have a potent offense as well. Amazingly their best 2 games have been against Pittsburgh and Dallas, a couple of powerhouses with legitimate Super Bowl hopes. Regardless of who they're facing they have the opportunity to hammer a team and with a stacked NFC East they should playing meaningful games down to the last week. IMO Philly has the best shot at finishing as the #1 overall D. (I have a nagging voice that says Westbrook and/or McNabb won't finish the season which hurts the offense and downgrades the D. In my mind I see them finishing as a top 5 defense.)

Chicago - Other than Philly and Green Bay x2 their remaining schedule doesn't look too rough and they are healthier than they have been in years. They finally seem to have a RB who gives them confidence to stay committed to the running game, even when behind. If Orton can improve and give Chicago even a mediocre passing attack without giving up pick 6's he'll be a vast improvement over last year's futility. Throw in a wildcard Hester return TD or two and some low scoring Windy City December games and I can see the Bears coming out as the #1 defense when it's all said and done. (If Orton doesn't improve his play and the Chicago O continues to be inept and streaky then I think the D is lucky to remain top 10.)

Thoughts on Carolina's D from a fantasy perspective? :coffee:
I've had the Car Def last 2 yrs and they are serviceable but not in the upper tier of ones that I would want. Consistent with a few pts a week but rarely go off!Is NE Def now not worthy of starting on a weekly basis? I new the O would suffer under Cassell but the defense has looked bad too.

I believe Dallas should mentioned as one of the premier defenses. They are just starting to gel and I anticipate their defense to get better as the season goes on. They really put the clamps on Green Bay and before anyone mentions the Eagles game keep in mind that the Dallas defense held Philly to 6 second half points and that was with Westbrook in the game and a healthy McNabb (Steelers only had to stop a banged up McNabb and no Westbrook). Fantasy wise when they start playing the easy part of their schedule which begins the week after next they will have early leads and force teams to be one dimensional. Think back to the 2007 Patriots as their defense looked dominant because the offense forced teams to be one dimensional.

Best NFL defense - Tennessee, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo are above the rest in my eyes. Philly has a beatable secondary and their LB's are uninspiring, Baltimore's fun to watch but they're susceptible to the big play and without Kelly Gregg their run D is 'just good' instead of elite.

Best fantasy defense - Kansas City's opponent
Very.. :goodposting:
I was going to say something similar but substitute the word "Detroit's"As a Detroit homer, I enjoy employing this strategy in my "small potatoes league" where its just 10 of us childhood buddies with limited rosters. (There is always lots of defenses available on the WW.) I look to see who Detroit is playing the following week and pick them up for spot-plays. It really does work like a charm as the Lions give up A LOT of special teams TDs, sacks, and also INTs returned for TDs.

There have been plenty of QBs, RBs, WRs, etc to start off and have 3 great games wherein if they keep it up, they could be one of the best ever. The Titans are along those lines IMO. IF IF They keep it up, one of the best ever. Is it likely? Is it ever really likely anyone has a best ever season? No matter what, the odds are against it.jurb said

11 sacks, 5 turn overs, less than 10 points per game and less than 250 total yds per game allowed through 3 games is impressive.
They also probably lead the NFL in INTs. I'd guess so, Finnegan has 4, Griffin has 2 or 3. The "less than 250 yards" seems high. I haven't looked yet this week. They only allowed 202 ypg after week 2 and just 8.5 points per game. Finnegan has a TD(back to that) and Haynesworth is arguably the best DT in the game. Did the Jags Gs get injured having to block him? Or was it just coincidence?Haynesworth missed time last year and they weren't so good without him, yet they still were around the 5th rated D for the year. 1 isn't a big jump considerring.Mentioned this once already but, their 2nd half performance was a thing of beauty. Kubiak had a good plan and the Texans were surprisingly able to run real well against them(105 rushing yards? 106? first half). It was as if it angerred them or hurt their pride. 2nd half was 2 INTs, TD, 10 yards rushing, forced fumble, 2 sacks, QB less than 50% passing, and a drive they stopped at the 2 yard line. Not many Ds could turn it on like that. To me, that was something great Ds do and I'm even more curious how they'll wind up.

Users who are viewing this thread