What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bicycle Guys! (1 Viewer)

Pulled the trigger and got my wife a new gravel bike.  Got a trek checkpoint alr 5, in the very pretty white and black combo.  It’s here in my office and I’ve been starting at it for the past half hour, think I’ll need a cigarette after that.  

Pulled the trigger and got my wife a new gravel bike.  Got a trek checkpoint alr 5, in the very pretty white and black combo.  It’s here in my office and I’ve been starting at it for the past half hour, think I’ll need a cigarette after that.  
She’s named it “Hedwig.”  That’s the name of the snow owl from Harry Potter.  Will be in the garage with Sergeant Peppers (my Salsa journeyman), Raven (her purple trek fuel ex), Rollie Fingers (my trek stache), and Ross (my pivot 429).  

She’s named it “Hedwig.”  That’s the name of the snow owl from Harry Potter.  Will be in the garage with Sergeant Peppers (my Salsa journeyman), Raven (her purple trek fuel ex), Rollie Fingers (my trek stache), and Ross (my pivot 429).  
Our chickens have 2 of those names.

Had a pair of bikes that were about 15-20 years old, but fell out of riding and maintenance when I had my son, and they needed some work to get back in riding condition.

Kept pushing off restoring and finally decided to just donate them to a place that would do that and provides services to lower-income communities, and buy myself a new one, as decided that was really what was keeping me from riding now.

Bought a Trek FX3 a couple of weeks ago. Had it out a few times and pretty good for what I expect to do with it — mostly just paved bike trail riding by me. 

One question is what is what do people like for cycling shirts? I bought a Sponeed shirt and like the material/feel, but makes me look a bit too much like I’m racing the Tour de France. Anything a bit less outlandish, but similar price point, that folks recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:
One question is what is what do people like for cycling shirts? I bought a Sponeed shirt and like the material/feel, but makes me look a bit too much like I’m racing the Tour de France. Anything a bit less outlandish, but similar price point, that folks recommend?
Club Ride are more expensive, but I have 2 and they're my every-ride apparel.  Biking materials with back pockets, but they look like normal shirts.  REI has them on discount from time to time, and I see Backcountry has some for ~$50 right now.  I got one of my two used in a bike shop 11 years ago... it's still good as new except for a small tear from a crash in the first week I had it.

Had a pair of bikes that were about 15-20 years old, but fell out of riding and maintenance when I had my son, and they needed some work to get back in riding condition.

Kept pushing off restoring and finally decided to just donate them to a place that would do that and provides services to lower-income communities, and buy myself a new one, as decided that was really what was keeping me from riding now.

Bought a Trek FX3 a couple of weeks ago. Had it out a few times and pretty good for what I expect to do with it — mostly just paved bike trail riding by me. 

If you’re just riding paved trails casually just throw on a t-shirt. What am I missing?

If you’re just riding paved trails casually just throw on a t-shirt. What am I missing?
High of 97 degrees with heat index in the triple digits today by me. Even just sitting outside reading a book, I was sweating with a cotton t-shirt on and had it sticking to me. Don’t want to ride around in that.

Like the material that cycling shirts are made of as a bit lighter and help pull the sweat away. Something like that, but won’t  get made me fun of for wearing by spouse or passersby.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also like my shirts non-descript and took a shot on these and love them.  I'm 6'4" and lean and the large fits me great.

High of 97 degrees with heat index in the triple digits today by me. Even just sitting outside reading a book, I was sweating with a cotton t-shirt on and had it sticking to me. Don’t want to ride around in that.

Like the material that cycling shirts are made of as a bit lighter and help pull the sweat away. Something like that, but won’t  get made me fun of for wearing by spouse or passersby.
Well let me help you out son, check out Under Armor UA 2.0 Tech Tee. Super, super lightweight, dry’s fast, look fashionable not like workout shirt. Great for running around in the heat. I ride a lot on a trainer in my garage that’s like a sauna this time of year and I wear these.

Anyone ride a Cannondale Synapse Carbon?  I saw a 2017 on CL for a decent price. Only downside i see is that it's an all black colorway, which i don't like. 

Yea a specific cycling jersey is completely unecesary if you are just cruising around on some trails. Just get any synthetic wicking shirt from just about any sporting goods store and you are good to go. Get a bright colored one though. Seriously may save your life some day if you are riding on a road. 

Any athletic shirt will do the trick if you’re just cruising around town. Might be worth investing in a jersey if you start doing longer rides as I like having the pockets for snacks and/or water.

I highly recommend investing in a nice pair of padded shorts instead of getting some monstrosity of a saddle that has tons of padding. You’re better off with a saddle that has minimal padding if you’re wearing padded shorts. 

Any athletic shirt will do the trick if you’re just cruising around town. Might be worth investing in a jersey if you start doing longer rides as I like having the pockets for snacks and/or water.

I highly recommend investing in a nice pair of padded shorts instead of getting some monstrosity of a saddle that has tons of padding. You’re better off with a saddle that has minimal padding if you’re wearing padded shorts. 
Second this, shorts are good to have regardless of what your ego says  :)

And you don’t need to break the bank on those either. You’ll see really nice shorts for $80+, all you need is something like this, Sportneer Cycle shorts. Those are my everyday trainers, have had them for years and they are still working fine. I have some expensive Pearl Izumi’s but I only wear those for long rides. I have a Trek FX4 and used it as my primary bike years ago when it was all I had. Put thousands of miles on it but always hated the seat. Got a road bike with a hard seat, made all the difference. Such that I traded out the seat on the FX4 for an identical road bike seat. Go to a bike shop and check out seats if you want to go that road but if your doing casual rides, say under 15-20 miles then it’s probably more $ than you want to spend.

Second this, shorts are good to have regardless of what your ego says  :)

And you don’t need to break the bank on those either. You’ll see really nice shorts for $80+, all you need is something like this, Sportneer Cycle shorts. Those are my everyday trainers, have had them for years and they are still working fine. I have some expensive Pearl Izumi’s but I only wear those for long rides. I have a Trek FX4 and used it as my primary bike years ago when it was all I had. Put thousands of miles on it but always hated the seat. Got a road bike with a hard seat, made all the difference. Such that I traded out the seat on the FX4 for an identical road bike seat. Go to a bike shop and check out seats if you want to go that road but if your doing casual rides, say under 15-20 miles then it’s probably more $ than you want to spend.
I do notice a big difference between my cheap Amazon shorts and my nicer ones. The most expensive ones I have are Pearl Izumis, but the ones I find most comfortable are Hyperthreads that I picked up at a bike festival for $40

I bought a bike. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/plus-boost-bikes/taz2p5-eagle-29er-275-bikes.htm My old bike (also from bikesdirect) is 12 years old, it still works but things are pretty creaky after something like 4000 trail miles.
Yes, I know there are better components and nobody should ever ride on a trail with less than some component that only comes on $3000 bikes... but I had a price point and tried to optimize what I could get for it.
Now I just have to see what kind of delivery delays there are... it's good that my current bike still works fine.

I bought a bike. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/plus-boost-bikes/taz2p5-eagle-29er-275-bikes.htm My old bike (also from bikesdirect) is 12 years old, it still works but things are pretty creaky after something like 4000 trail miles.
Yes, I know there are better components and nobody should ever ride on a trail with less than some component that only comes on $3000 bikes... but I had a price point and tried to optimize what I could get for it.
Now I just have to see what kind of delivery delays there are... it's good that my current bike still works fine.
I honestly don’t see the value in bikesdirect mountain bikes. Don’t mean to knock your purchase, but it’s got wildly outdated geometry, isn’t tubeless compatible, no-name fork, crazy short dropper post, and the SX drivetrain is known to fail under the stresses of mountain biking. The fact that they compare it to a $2,000 Trek is laughable.

I don’t mean to come across as snobby, but I think you would have been better off buying a used bike from a more serious manufacturer that’s a little newer than your current one.

I honestly don’t see the value in bikesdirect mountain bikes. Don’t mean to knock your purchase, but it’s got wildly outdated geometry, isn’t tubeless compatible, no-name fork, crazy short dropper post, and the SX drivetrain is known to fail under the stresses of mountain biking. The fact that they compare it to a $2,000 Trek is laughable.

I don’t mean to come across as snobby, but I think you would have been better off buying a used bike from a more serious manufacturer that’s a little newer than your current one.
Uh oh, I took a snap of the specs when I purchased it, and it had RockShox Judy shocks. Now the page says RST Gila, but it changed after I made my purchase. This could get messy.

That one is definitely specced better than the first one you posted
Nice backtrack! :)
I kid, I kid.

I do agree with your premise that bikesdirect is not quite the bargain that it used to be. There are so many solid bikes out there these days that I would almost never even go look at bikesdirect. Not that @Tick 's bike is not a good deal - it's just there are tons of as good deals around.

I kid, I kid.

I do agree with your premise that bikesdirect is not quite the bargain that it used to be. There are so many solid bikes out there these days that I would almost never even go look at bikesdirect. Not that @Tick 's bike is not a good deal - it's just there are tons of as good deals around.
That’s my point. I’m actually think the pricing on his bike is about right, but the first link he sent was not a good deal IMHO.

As I’ve gotten more into cycling and mountain biking in particular, I get turned off by the language they use to describe the bikes. I feel like I need a shower after browsing that site.

As I’ve gotten more into cycling and mountain biking in particular, I get turned off by the language they use to describe the bikes. I feel like I need a shower after browsing that site.
What, you aren't a fan of **** like this?

Get ultimate flotation and Godzilla level trail domination and hill crushing traction. Or make it a super street commuter with a 700c wheel and tire set.

I kid, I kid.

That’s my point. I’m actually think the pricing on his bike is about right, but the first link he sent was not a good deal IMHO.

That site design... they need a sortable database, they look like it's 1998.

I looked a lot to find a better deal, the closest deal I could find was https://www.bikesonline.com/2022-xt...1KSUNzWFs0xUacpVFe-UmDq4mShz4gXwaAp73EALw_wcB - I might have been happier with that one, who knows. It has better geometry but worse shocks and brakes.

I kid, I kid.

I looked a lot to find a better deal, the closest deal I could find was https://www.bikesonline.com/2022-xt...1KSUNzWFs0xUacpVFe-UmDq4mShz4gXwaAp73EALw_wcB - I might have been happier with that one, who knows. It has better geometry but worse shocks and brakes.
Yea those polygon bikes are decent value. Almost bought one for my kids.

I'm a used bike buyer though. I spend way too much time perusing Facebook marketplace and Craigslist even though I have 3 bikes that I am way satisfied with. Titanium mountain bike, steel gravel bike, aluminum fat tire bike.

I kid, I kid.

I'm a used bike buyer though. I spend way too much time perusing Facebook marketplace and Craigslist even though I have 3 bikes that I am way satisfied with. Titanium mountain bike, steel gravel bike, aluminum fat tire bike.
I tried that off and on for a couple of years... grim stuff. Pinkbike should be better, but I got impatient and bought a bike.

I kid, I kid.

I tried that off and on for a couple of years... grim stuff. Pinkbike should be better, but I got impatient and bought a bike.
I am still considering a full suspension bike so I browse pink bike, Facebook marketplace, and Craigslist. I am coming across more and more good deals in the price range you were looking in, but on the higher end bikes I’m not seeing enough of a discount to forego the warranty buying new

Had a pretty awesome mountain bike trip with the guys in Tahoe. Did the Tahoe Rim Trail to Flume Trail. Did some laps at Jackass Ridge, and capped off the trip with some lift-op downhill at Northstar, but our day got cut in half there because the wildfire smoke ended up shutting the resort down.

Had a pretty awesome mountain bike trip with the guys in Tahoe. Did the Tahoe Rim Trail to Flume Trail. Did some laps at Jackass Ridge, and capped off the trip with some lift-op downhill at Northstar, but our day got cut in half there because the wildfire smoke ended up shutting the resort down.
I might meet some college buddies there next summer - could a novice have fun on those trails?

I might meet some college buddies there next summer - could a novice have fun on those trails?
Are you the novice?

Thoughts on the Polygon MTB brand?
One of the best value brands when it comes to spec while still providing quality frames.
I want a mountain bike.... but I am not sure really need a mountain bike. Keeping my cost down would help.... I think I want to go full squish though, which would start a whole chain of events that would have me selling my gravel/ATB bike buying 2 bikes to replace it.

One of the best value brands when it comes to spec while still providing quality frames.
I want a mountain bike.... but I am not sure really need a mountain bike. Keeping my cost down would help.... I think I want to go full squish though, which would start a whole chain of events that would have me selling my gravel/ATB bike buying 2 bikes to replace it.
And you will forever be unhappy about it. If you can't keep your gravel bike I wouldn't do it. A MTB has a very specific use that seems really fun at first but then you quickly realize it is only for a very specific purpose and doesn't cross over into other disciplines like a gravel bike can. My opinion of course but that's been my experience and why I sold my mountain bike.

And you will forever be unhappy about it. If you can't keep your gravel bike I wouldn't do it. A MTB has a very specific use that seems really fun at first but then you quickly realize it is only for a very specific purpose and doesn't cross over into other disciplines like a gravel bike can. My opinion of course but that's been my experience and why I sold my mountain bike.
And here I am looking into buying another mountain bike.

Are you the novice?
No, I’m confident riding anything below double black diamond (midwest scale). Two of my buddies have just started biking again, but I think they’re riding multipurpose trails with no technical features.

And here I am looking into buying another mountain bike.
Hey if that's your gig, get after it! I know a lot of folks that are all up in the MTB scene. If you're trying to skirt one disciple for another I think you'll be disappointed by the limitations of mountain biking when you are used to gravel/road riding.

Users who are viewing this thread