What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bill Belichick Future - Will He Be Patriots 2023 Season Head Coach? (1 Viewer)

Will Bill Belichick Be HC Of Patriots For 2023 Season?

• Total voters
The Mayo part is very interesting...if you want to read into it, I wonder if it means he is heir apparent to BB.

It's the way they're losing, I think. They have some deep fundamental flaws where they'll never be a contender with the current make-up of the club. That's why there's despair there. They're so far behind the Chiefs and the Bills that they've been lapped.

That's how it seems to me. I think we all accept a significant part of the Patriots dynasty was the weak state of the Division. For sure, they had to deliver in the biggest games, and they obviously did, but they often faced an optimal path.

Now, when they look around, they appear light-years behind. And I don't know how they make it up.
When Ernie Adams left, so did the Patriot "magic" on offense
Tough to dominate on offense when the behind the scenes advantages are no longer available

Andrew Callahan was on BST and mentioned BB and Kraft met Sunday after the game. And Monday. And Tuesday. And Wednesday. And Thursday. It’s a whole new world in Foxboro. It appears the days of Bill invoking the Cone of Silence may be winding down.

The Mayo part is very interesting...if you want to read into it, I wonder if it means he is heir apparent to BB.
Bedard is saying Mayo has agreed to an extension and they are just working out the details and the language. So far, he’s the only one putting that out there, and everyone else has indicated NE is interested in extending him. Not sure what any of that means and whether Mayo would still interview elsewhere. Also makes me wonder what is going on with Bill’s kid as far as the defense goes.

Bedard is saying Mayo has agreed to an extension and they are just working out the details and the language. So far, he’s the only one putting that out there, and everyone else has indicated NE is interested in extending him. Not sure what any of that means and whether Mayo would still interview elsewhere. Also makes me wonder what is going on with Bill’s kid as far as the defense goes.

Agreed...I have heard Mayo on a few interviews, and he always appears a little conflicted in that he wants to be a HC but also loves the area and would like to stay...that is why I am speculating/guessing that if he stays maybe he is next in line...gotta believe if he doesn't at least interview for HC positions there has to be a very good reason why...as for Stevie B that is interesting...at some point you would think between him and Mayo one of them should get the DC title...but who knows with BB, he is very different than other Coaches when it comes to that stuff.

If there is one positive about the Patricia debacle this year, it removes any chance of him becoming the next HC...that would have been a complete worst-case scenario.

If there is one positive about the Patricia debacle this year, it removes any chance of him becoming the next HC...that would have been a complete worst-case scenario.
Not sure that's 100% the case. I think it was Curran that explained that he felt the plan for Patricia was to give him as much experience as he could across all things in "football operations" so he could have a more rounded resume to become a head coach again or future GM. The speculation at the time was that maybe Bill was grooming him as the heir apparent, but Curran suggested Patricia running the offense wasn't intended to be a multi-year, long-term thing. That was mid-season, so who knows where Patricia ranks in the hierarchy now. If you remember last off-season, Patricia was involved in negotiating contracts and extensions and had signatory responsibility for player contracts and signings. He definitely had more football administration responsibilities.

Several of the local guys (Zolak being the most vocal) have suggested Patricia will not be let go. He says they might change his title or publicly state he will be responsible for something else. Whether that means he takes on a different on-field coaching role, gets kicked upstairs as the next Mike Lombardi, or becomes a mysterious consultant / takes on an Ernie Adams cloak and dagger role, who knows? But Zolak is pretty steadfast that Patricia isn't going anywhere. IIRC, moving forward, he is off the Lions' books, so NE will have to give him a new contract (and actually pay him without any subsidized money from Detroit).

That being said, I really hope the Pats plans don't involve a heavy dose of Patricia. Maybe they can find a spot where he can actually be an asset (I have my doubts), but I agree that him as head coach or GM of NE would be a scary sight.

Not sure that's 100% the case. I think it was Curran that explained that he felt the plan for Patricia was to give him as much experience as he could across all things in "football operations" so he could have a more rounded resume to become a head coach again or future GM. The speculation at the time was that maybe Bill was grooming him as the heir apparent, but Curran suggested Patricia running the offense wasn't intended to be a multi-year, long-term thing. That was mid-season, so who knows where Patricia ranks in the hierarchy now. If you remember last off-season, Patricia was involved in negotiating contracts and extensions and had signatory responsibility for player contracts and signings. He definitely had more football administration responsibilities.

Several of the local guys (Zolak being the most vocal) have suggested Patricia will not be let go. He says they might change his title or publicly state he will be responsible for something else. Whether that means he takes on a different on-field coaching role, gets kicked upstairs as the next Mike Lombardi, or becomes a mysterious consultant / takes on an Ernie Adams cloak and dagger role, who knows? But Zolak is pretty steadfast that Patricia isn't going anywhere. IIRC, moving forward, he is off the Lions' books, so NE will have to give him a new contract (and actually pay him without any subsidized money from Detroit).

That being said, I really hope the Pats plans don't involve a heavy dose of Patricia. Maybe they can find a spot where he can actually be an asset (I have my doubts), but I agree that him as head coach or GM of NE would be a scary sight.

Sorry but it is 100%...no way will he be a HC in NE after what happened this season...no way, that ship has sailed...I do agree that him being in that position going into this year was done to help him potentially get that position but his name is done here after that complete and utter disaster...there would be a mutiny by the fanbase if his name was even brought up to be the HC let alone get it...the fact Kraft is sending out unprecedented press releases during the BB era is all you need to know about what he thinks of 2022...if Patricia is on the field it will be as the line Coach or something like that but my guess (like you point out) is he gets kicked into the front office and goes back to doing whatever he was doing before he destroyed the offense.

Sorry but it is 100%...no way will he be a HC in NE after what happened this season...no way, that ship has sailed...I do agree that him being in that position going into this year was done to help him potentially get that position but his name is done here after that complete and utter disaster...there would be a mutiny by the fanbase if his name was even brought up to be the HC let alone get it...the fact Kraft is sending out unprecedented press releases during the BB era is all you need to know about what he thinks of 2022...if Patricia is on the field it will be as the line Coach or something like that but my guess (like you point out) is he gets kicked into the front office and goes back to doing whatever he was doing before he destroyed the offense.
I don't think anyone other than BB or the Krafts has much insight into the future plans for the team . . . and even those might be pretty fluid. I remember a few years ago when McDaniels shunned the Colts and stayed in NE that Curran, Breer, Bedard, and others were all in agreement that no way would Kraft promise the future head coaching job to anyone. All those guys took the approach that the team would evaluate the situation once BB was out the door, but to promise someone the job (besides going against the Rooney rule) was never going to happen. They went so far as to say that they probably wouldn't try grooming a guy either. They would evaluate the state of the team, the talent level, the salary cap, the coaches on the staff, etc. and then figure it out. The McDaniels to the Colts situation was 5 years ago . . . maybe the beat guys have changed their tune and see Mayo as Bill's replacement (maybe that would get them out of the Rooney rule as well). I wish someone would discuss that more thoroughly (maybe they will once we find out what is going on with Mayo).

I don't think anyone other than BB or the Krafts has much insight into the future plans for the team . . . and even those might be pretty fluid. I remember a few years ago when McDaniels shunned the Colts and stayed in NE that Curran, Breer, Bedard, and others were all in agreement that no way would Kraft promise the future head coaching job to anyone. All those guys took the approach that the team would evaluate the situation once BB was out the door, but to promise someone the job (besides going against the Rooney rule) was never going to happen. They went so far as to say that they probably wouldn't try grooming a guy either. They would evaluate the state of the team, the talent level, the salary cap, the coaches on the staff, etc. and then figure it out. The McDaniels to the Colts situation was 5 years ago . . . maybe the beat guys have changed their tune and see Mayo as Bill's replacement (maybe that would get them out of the Rooney rule as well). I wish someone would discuss that more thoroughly (maybe they will once we find out what is going on with Mayo).

From Bedard...and I agree with this:

It's not hyperbole to say this is an unprecedented press release from the Patriots during the tenure of Belichick. In fact, he has gone out of his way to say the team doesn't comment on contracts or negotiations, and Belichick has always done whatever he wants to with his coaching staff and he doesn't really care what anyone has to say about that.

This is a complete 180.

This has Robert Kraft's fingerprints all over it, and should be viewed as an example of how ownership has not and is not happy with the current state of affairs with the team.

From my understanding, Mayo has agreed to a contract extension and they are just hammering out the final details. He should also be viewed as the on-staff successor to Belichick, the same way Josh McDaniels was when he turned down the Colts. Of course, that didn't really amount to much for McDaniels and he eventually left to become a head coach somewhere else. But that was the thinking at the time — a person on staff who was capable of handling the duties should Belichick leave abruptly for some reason (even health-related, you never know). Does mean he's necessarily the guy — and I'm sure, like McDaniels, the s-word was not discussed — but he's the guy on hand for now.

No matter where the video is from he's shirtless, he's not getting in a car and driving off
He looks like he's having.a quick look around the neighborhood and either getting his mail or the Wall Street Journal/paper
I doubt he's clipping coupons in the Lifestyle section

Looks like every 60 year old man grabbing the newspaper on a Sunday.
Why (if Bill) is he in a slum or near-slum?
Him and his wife just split up 2 months ago. Maybe he doesn't have as high of standards for women as he does for quarterbacks :P

He's clearly doing the walk of shame though. He prob couldn't find his shirt and tried to sneak out. We've all been there once.

He reminds me of Muhammed Ali, he didn't know when to retire. He shouldn't have ever fought Larry Holmes.

I still want Bill Belichick to beat Don Shula's all-time wins record. He's 16 wins away, so two more winning seasons should do it (three winning regular seasons to pass him in the regular season total). This is probably the best chance of anyone in my lifetime pulling it off. Hopefully he continues coaching next season and goes to a team that is ready to win. The Chargers might be the best spot once they cut the dead weight known as Brandon Staley.

Bills might be open depending on how the rest of the year goes. Also San Diego Los Angeles. Could be good landing spots for him to try to resuscitate his career.

Bills might be open depending on how the rest of the year goes. Also San Diego. Could be good landing spots for him to try to resuscitate his career.
Oh man... Buffalo would hurt my soul, but it would probably be the quickest path to wins with that roster. The Chargers have some talented pieces but still need tweaking.

There has been a lot of talk locally about how accurate Curran's reporting is on this topic . . . or if that is his opinion being reported as fact. The discussion has focused on the only two people that know what NE is potentially planning to do: the Kraft's. There's absolutely no way they would flat out tell Curran that BB is getting jettisoned. Curran may have heard from others that think Bill is getting booted, but the Kraft's would not want the information to leak out and set Bill up as a lame duck coach. To be clear, I am not suggesting that Bill ISN'T getting axed. Curran may be deducing or connected the dots, but a lot of other NE beat guys run in the same crowds, and they had no idea where Curran came up with this information.

Will be interesting to me, as interesting as it was seeing greats like Brady and Montana switch teams late in their careers.

Would think obvious key decision in whatever job he takes will depend on what level of control he will have in personnel decisions. Would think the less he's willing to accept the more attractive candidate he is and the least he's offered the less appealing he might find that job.

There has been a lot of talk locally about how accurate Curran's reporting is on this topic . . . or if that is his opinion being reported as fact. The discussion has focused on the only two people that know what NE is potentially planning to do: the Kraft's. There's absolutely no way they would flat out tell Curran that BB is getting jettisoned. Curran may have heard from others that think Bill is getting booted, but the Kraft's would not want the information to leak out and set Bill up as a lame duck coach. To be clear, I am not suggesting that Bill ISN'T getting axed. Curran may be deducing or connected the dots, but a lot of other NE beat guys run in the same crowds, and they had no idea where Curran came up with this information.

Are you suggesting Curran has made this up?

a lot of other NE beat guys run in the same crowds, and they had no idea where Curran came up with this information.

Didn't Curran also come up with a ten or eleven-win season this year for the Patriots? Perhaps he found a secret liquor stash in his mother's basement and decided to partake.

Are you suggesting Curran has made this up?
No . . . just wondering if he is reporting or providing speculation based on connecting some dots. I have heard different opinions on where BB stands and if he will be back.

Here's a fun game....name the teams that would never hire BB.

I'll go first: Jets, Dolphins, Browns, Philly

No need: Chiefs, Bengals, Philly

Surprisingly absent from both lists: Dallas

To flesh out a little more of what I was referring to yesterday on Curran, Mike Reiss had a radio interview segment and was asked about the Curran news. Reiss is the gold standard of beat reporters in NE and likely has the most access of any member of the media to all things Patriots. When asked about Curran's report, Reiss said no one he has spoken to had revealed what Curran had reported . . . and Reiss said he has access to all the same people that Curran does. He said he had not spoken to Curran about his report, but Reiss said of all the people he's spoken to, there was not a unified front on what the Patriots were planning to do with BB. He had received a variety of feedback, but everyone he talked to had different opinions and positions on the plan moving forward (thus making a determination on what NE would do hard to report on). Reiss openly wondered if Curran was connecting dots and providing his opinion on what NE would do, but even Reiss said it certainly sounded like Curran was reporting things as fact and a final decision had been made. Reiss repeated that he had not heard that from anyone.

Curran yesterday backed off some when asked for additional information about the situation. He mentioned that after the game in Germany, NE had decided they were done with Bill but that didn't mean they couldn't change their minds. He said there was always a chance with a strong finish maybe Bill could still keep his job . . . or they could have a change of heart. To be clear, I personally have no knowledge of what NE will do with Bill, but I happen to think that they are exploring a lot of options and probably haven't made a final determination yet. Mike Lomardi has since mentioned that BB may stay on as head coach and someone else brought in as GM or head of personnel.

I know there has been talk of Jerod Mayo taking over as head coach, but if I am NE, if they are moving on from BB, they should remove all facets of BB, his coaches, and his system from the organization. Put another way, I doubt other people could run Bill's system better than Bill. Installing a defensive minded coach without any head coaching experience on a team with fatal offensive issues doesn't seem like the right strategy. If they are going to start over and do a full rebuild, go out and get an offensive minded coach, drop everyone with ties to BB, and fill the GM and coaching spots with people with no ties to the Patriots organization. Start fresh and start over.

To flesh out a little more of what I was referring to yesterday on Curran, Mike Reiss had a radio interview segment and was asked about the Curran news. Reiss is the gold standard of beat reporters in NE and likely has the most access of any member of the media to all things Patriots. When asked about Curran's report, Reiss said no one he has spoken to had revealed what Curran had reported . . . and Reiss said he has access to all the same people that Curran does. He said he had not spoken to Curran about his report, but Reiss said of all the people he's spoken to, there was not a unified front on what the Patriots were planning to do with BB. He had received a variety of feedback, but everyone he talked to had different opinions and positions on the plan moving forward (thus making a determination on what NE would do hard to report on). Reiss openly wondered if Curran was connecting dots and providing his opinion on what NE would do, but even Reiss said it certainly sounded like Curran was reporting things as fact and a final decision had been made. Reiss repeated that he had not heard that from anyone.

Curran yesterday backed off some when asked for additional information about the situation. He mentioned that after the game in Germany, NE had decided they were done with Bill but that didn't mean they couldn't change their minds. He said there was always a chance with a strong finish maybe Bill could still keep his job . . . or they could have a change of heart. To be clear, I personally have no knowledge of what NE will do with Bill, but I happen to think that they are exploring a lot of options and probably haven't made a final determination yet. Mike Lomardi has since mentioned that BB may stay on as head coach and someone else brought in as GM or head of personnel.

I know there has been talk of Jerod Mayo taking over as head coach, but if I am NE, if they are moving on from BB, they should remove all facets of BB, his coaches, and his system from the organization. Put another way, I doubt other people could run Bill's system better than Bill. Installing a defensive minded coach without any head coaching experience on a team with fatal offensive issues doesn't seem like the right strategy. If they are going to start over and do a full rebuild, go out and get an offensive minded coach, drop everyone with ties to BB, and fill the GM and coaching spots with people with no ties to the Patriots organization. Start fresh and start over.

Agree with the last paragraph...maybe not fair to Mayo but it is just reality...as for the second paragraph I just don't see BB working for a GM in New England that is 100% independent of him which has to be the case...if he were to stay as the HC it would have to be without any say in the roster...none...this roster is his and it is unacceptable and it was very obvious it was unacceptable this offseason...also, I find it hard to believe that BB would change the style of play he wants or his coaching staff if he was told to and I just can't picture a quality GM candidate that has no ties to BB being comfortable with that situation and they shouldn't be...as for Reiss he is excellent but the press that covers the Pats is as good as you get with him Curran, Perry, Howe, Bedard, Giardi, Callahan, Bert Breer (he has close ties here) and all the radio guys including former players like Zo and Fauria and it is very easy to believe one of them may have been given info that Reiss was not (and vice versa) and that is not a shot on Reiss but just the reality of the media landscape of this team/town.

Last edited:
Excellent article by Bedard today...a few snippets (because I can't post the whole thing):

- As far as Tom E. Curran's report on NBC Sports Boston — "When they came out of Germany, conversations I had that week made it very clear that a decision was made. They were going to play out the string, and at the end of the year there would be a parting of the ways, for a variety of reasons." — I have no reason to doubt it. I have an enormous amount of respect for Curran and his ability to report out the behind-the-scenes stuff with an organization he has covered longer than anyone. I also have no direct evidence that it's 100 percent over for Belichick in New England at the end of the season.

- Do I believe the Krafts decided at some point after the Colts game, that the die was cast and they were likely going to have to part ways with Belichick after the season? Yes. And I think Belichick knows this as well. The Krafts gave Belichick a chance to right his 2022 wrongs, and it only got worse in '23. Why? Because Belichick's personnel (and staffing) issues were again exposed, and that's always been the major issue. These Patriots just aren't that good. And that is Belichick's fault and his ultimate demise here.

- Would Belichick agree to give up personnel control? Doubtful. Even if he did, there's no one the Krafts could bring in from inside the family (Jon Robinson, Thomas Dimitroff, Dave Zeigler) that wouldn't just defer to Belichick. Eliot Wolf could, possibly, do it. The Krafts would almost have to bring in an unaffiliated outsider – and that's not going to work. You'd be inviting a Pete Carroll-Bobby Grier-level fiasco. And the Krafts learned not to do that again.

- You know who would? Mike Vrabel. If you were drawing a line from the Krafts' past hiring to their next one, Vrabel would be the ideal candidate. And yet another league source told me this week of Vrabel that "(I) don’t think he’s happy" in Tennessee.

Per my other comments, not a fan of bringing in Vrabel. He's from the BB system as a player, has coached a ground and pound offense, favors the defensive side of the ball, and he'd likely be content to keep the coaches, system, and methodology of what is already in place. Under Vrabel, the Titans have been a Bottom 5-10 passing team every season and as an organization really aren't in any better shape than NE. The Titans have 12 wins over the past 2 seasons compared to 11 for NE. Not sure Vrabel would be able to fix the culture, roster, or system in NE. IMO, all that would change is BB wouldn't be there . . . but would not be hopeful the outcome would be much different.

Per my other comments, not a fan of bringing in Vrabel. He's from the BB system as a player, has coached a ground and pound offense, favors the defensive side of the ball, and he'd likely be content to keep the coaches, system, and methodology of what is already in place. Under Vrabel, the Titans have been a Bottom 5-10 passing team every season and as an organization really aren't in any better shape than NE. The Titans have 12 wins over the past 2 seasons compared to 11 for NE. Not sure Vrabel would be able to fix the culture, roster, or system in NE. IMO, all that would change is BB wouldn't be there . . . but would not be hopeful the outcome would be much different.

Agreed about the system...I don't want them to play that style anymore...I had posted before that the one question for him would be did you play that style because you had Henry and Tannehill or is that what you are committed to because if it is that is not how we want to play football...that being said I do not see Vrabel as a direct part of the BB system and would not expect him to continue with anything BB related as he was always known as his own guy who was a great leader with a big personality and not one to bow down and kiss the ring...I see him completely different from BB even though I do understand what you are pointing out...I would prefer an offensive-minded HC/a break from BB-world but like Mayo I would really need to see what the whole organization/coaching staff looked like before giving a firm opinion on the hire.

Here's a fun game....name the teams that would never hire BB.

I'll go first: Jets, Dolphins, Browns, Philly

No need: Chiefs, Bengals, Philly

Surprisingly absent from both lists: Dallas
Jerry Jones can't deal with alpha coaches, which is why he fired Jimmy Johnson. He only brought in Parcells because the Cowboys had been embarrassing for years with no-name coaches. That is not where they are right now, so the chance that Belichick goes to the Cowboys is almost zero.

think he's working with what he has, hasn't had weapons to do air it out

Users who are viewing this thread