What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Billy Strings (1 Viewer)

ericttspikes

Footballguy
I've been aware of Billy Strings for a while and have listened to his music over the years, but never have seen him live. Seems like a guy who could have his own thread.

I'm a Deadhead and while I enjoyed Jerry's early bluegrass stuff like Old & In the Way, I don't find myself revisiting those albums all that much, and they probably invented "jamgrass". Maybe I have to see Billy live to really understand, but why is this guy blowing up? Incredible to see a bluegrass musician sell out arenas multiple nights. I get that he's a great musician, but what is the special sauce here? Bela Fleck is like the Hendrix of the banjo and that dude is lucky to fill a small club. Amazing to see a bluegrass artist being this popular.

My friend from college -- who I speak with maybe once or twice a year -- is a total Phish/Dead guy and just texted me about Billy Strings. I kind of can't believe that there's a thread about him now, but here we are...

Any songs to point to?

I've seen him a couple times - found him through the bluegrass circuit years ago. I was talking with some roadies for a band I saw last year and his name came up and someone said there is a dilemma in the bluegrass community whether to "claim" him or not. I'm probably not articulating that right, but that was the gist - is he really bluegrass these days or not, and does it matter? He's obviously extremely talented and a great flatpicking bluegrass guitarist, but he's blowing up playing the jam circuit and more power to him. He is still winning awards in the bluegrass community. His live set up when I saw him looks like a bluegrass band - stand up bass, banjo, no drummer. But agree - its really a jamband rock n roll show more than a bluegrass act. For a while I was hearing rumors he would take over for John Mayer with the Dead but I don't think he would take the pay cut now that he's exploded. I'll still go see him again in the right situation but his shows have very little bluegrass flavor - great music, but I'm too old for the jam band crowd anymore.

Also, I'm sure its hyperbole, but Bela is still killing it. I would love to see him at a small venue that's not sold out, but that ain't happening any time soon, especially with the all-star bands he puts together.

I've seen him a couple times - found him through the bluegrass circuit years ago. I was talking with some roadies for a band I saw last year and his name came up and someone said there is a dilemma in the bluegrass community whether to "claim" him or not. I'm probably not articulating that right, but that was the gist - is he really bluegrass these days or not, and does it matter? He's obviously extremely talented and a great flatpicking bluegrass guitarist, but he's blowing up playing the jam circuit and more power to him. He is still winning awards in the bluegrass community. His live set up when I saw him looks like a bluegrass band - stand up bass, banjo, no drummer. But agree - its really a jamband rock n roll show more than a bluegrass act. For a while I was hearing rumors he would take over for John Mayer with the Dead but I don't think he would take the pay cut now that he's exploded. I'll still go see him again in the right situation but his shows have very little bluegrass flavor - great music, but I'm too old for the jam band crowd anymore.

Also, I'm sure its hyperbole, but Bela is still killing it. I would love to see him at a small venue that's not sold out, but that ain't happening any time soon, especially with the all-star bands he puts together.
It's weird to me. Their crowds look jamband, and I guess his music is probably more jamgrass than stuff like the Del McCoury Band. But to me, it's a hell a lot closer to Del McCoury than the Dead. Just this weird gray area to me that I don't quite understand. I appreciate the music, but honestly wouldn't go seek it out live. The "scene" has to be a big element to the live shows. Just don't know enough about it, but fascinated at the popularity.

I agree about Bela. Dude is great. Small club was hypebole. Bela can sell out the 2,000 seat Ryman in Nashville, but Billy is selling out 2 nights at the 20,000 Bridgestone arena, 1 night Ryman and 1 night Grand Ole Opry on the same tour. Just incredible.

Billy's done a pretty good job pushing his music to different audiences. He pulls in a lot of deadheads and jamband fans from his sit ins with Bobby, Billy and the Kids, Trey, SCI, etc. Does some mean dead covers while also staying true to core bluegrass roots. If you are a deadhead looking to get into him, check out the show with Bobby at the Ryman last May or the SCI Red Rocks dead set from last year. All that, and he still manages to hook in country and traditional bluegrass fans.

I have a buddy who is a Billy Strings fan. He has been begging me to go to shows with him for a couple years. Well, I now have tickets for the Cleveland show for this summer, so I guess I will see for myself what the hype is all about.

My younger brother is a massive Billy Strings fan. In May I have tickets to see him at BottleRock in Napa, CA.

Looking forward to it. Hoping I'll like his live show.

I have seen him twice and he was great both times. My brother who is in the jam band crowd looped me into him a few years ago and really glad he did as his shows are great. Though I wonder if he will loss some of the in person feel as he is doing much larger shows. Seeing him at Brooklyn bowl (basically a bowling alley with small concert space) was amazing but not sure energy will convey to a larger space. Who knows though as he is a great musician as is the rest of his band.

Not sure where you're located but he does play the Historic Avalon Theater in Easton (Maryland) most years. Tickets sell out in a day, it's a tiny theater, and if you're on their mailing list you get notified ahead of time before tickets go on sale. You have to be online right at that time in order to get tickets; 2 hours late and you're out of luck. He may play other small venues as well. You could see where he has played that you're willing to travel to and get on all their mailing lists.

Based on the recommendations here I'm finally going to go see him when I can.

Users who are viewing this thread