What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Black lives matter (1 Viewer)

And Im pretty sure its impossible for them to wear the shirts for warmups and at a press conference without the organization knowing about it. 

So, IMO, the organization was taking a stand against cops, again, without have all of the details about the shooting. 
The organization absolutely knew about it, there's no question.  They even tweeted a picture of the shirt before the game, I think.

But the shirt wasn't anti-cop.  Again, one of the "in memoriam" bit (on the back, with the names of Sterling and Castile) was a picture of the Dallas PD shield.

Here's the Tweet.

"Change Starts With Us" is the major message on that shirt.  Can't say I disagree with it.  "Justice and Accountability."  Can't say I disagree with those ideas, either.

Sterling, Castile, and the Dallas PD are being mourned across the country right now.  Can't say I'm upset with the fact that they're all listed together on the back.  So is the issue "Black Lives Matter"?

My last thought on this as we clearly wont agree. When you say "Justice and Accountability", you are implying the cops was in the wrong and should be held accountable for something.

Without all of the facts, I'm not ready to take a side.  It seems some have, and thats on them. 

It is not an assumption. Players cant wear whatever they want on the court. The team (and usually the league) has to approve it. 

The shirts werent questioning, they were the judge and jury. As Ive already stated, "Justice and Accountability" implies the officer did something wrong. 
My problem with their action is that they have the Dallas police department listed with BLM, and the two individuals.  This, to me, suggests while they are supporting justice for the people who were shot by police, they are also explicitly against the violence that has been directed to police.  Basically, against violence.  This seems a reasonable stance, and not strictly anti-police.  Maybe I'm being naive and missing something.

Here's the Tweet.

"Change Starts With Us" is the major message on that shirt.  Can't say I disagree with it.  "Justice and Accountability."  Can't say I disagree with those ideas, either.

Sterling, Castile, and the Dallas PD are being mourned across the country right now.  Can't say I'm upset with the fact that they're all listed together on the back.  So is the issue "Black Lives Matter"?
In only one of those 3 horrible incidents do we know race was a motivator.

What's the tally for BLM so far?

- Brown - cops exonerated by Holder.

- Gray - prosecutorial disaster, 0-3.

- Garner - still no charges yet.

- Steigler - how obvious is this one.

I admit to not knowing all the cases, are there others? Results?

A new study this morning suggests that while blacks receive unequal treatment from law enforcement in most ways, it's not true of police shootings: 

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.amp.html?client=safari#
I hope that study actually correlates with what's going on.  Here's my concern:

Mr. Fryer focused on one city, Houston. The Police Department there let the researchers look at reports not only for shootings but also for arrests when lethal force might have been justified. Mr. Fryer defined this group to include encounters with suspects the police subsequently charged with serious offenses like attempting to murder an officer, or evading or resisting arrest. He also considered suspects shocked with Tasers.

Mr. Fryer found that in such situations, officers in Houston were about 20 percent less likely to shoot if the suspects were black.

The actual statement of that study is:

"When a suspect is charged with attempting to murder an officer or evading or resisting arrest in Houston, white people are more likely to be shot."

What that doesn't account for are:

1. When a suspect is not charged with anything; and

2. Whether "resisting arrest" charges are more likely to be brought against people of color who have not actually resisted arrest or whether white people are less likely to be charged with resisting arrest for the same actions that a person of color might take.

I'd like to see a great deal more research on this, but it's good data as a starting point.

I don't believe BLM has been able to participate in any of those trials.

Honestly, the one that sickens me is Tamir Rice.  

Tamir Rice was a 12 year old kid, playing with a toy gun, in a Cleveland playground.  Someone called 911, said that there was someone pointing a gun in a playground, and asked someone to look into it.  The caller said that it was probably a juvenile, and the gun was probably a toy.  The caller said this twice, that the gun was probably fake.  

There's video.  Two seconds after the police arrived, they fired twice.  Neither cop administered CPR to a 12 year old boy, and he died.  

In the aftermath of the shooting, it was reported that Loehmann, in his previous job as a police officer in the Cleveland suburb ofIndependence, had been deemed an emotionally unstable recruit and unfit for duty.

Aftermath?  

On June 3, the County Sheriff's Office released a statement in which they declared their investigation to be completed and that they had turned their findings over to the county prosecutor. The prosecution presented evidence to a grand jury, which declined to indict

Tamir Rice was a 12 year old kid, playing with a toy gun, in a Cleveland playground.  Someone called 911, said that there was someone pointing a gun in a playground, and asked someone to look into it.  The caller said that it was probably a juvenile, and the gun was probably a toy.  The caller said this twice, that the gun was probably fake.  

There's video.  Two seconds after the police arrived, they fired twice.  Neither cop administered CPR to a 12 year old boy, and he died.  

Aftermath?  
Agreed. Have long thought this was most awful of a lot of awful stories. This is one of the ones that folks should point to when suggesting cops are more likely to shoot first ask questions later when it comes to black people. The video of this one looks more like a hit than police work. Terrible.

Samuel Dubose- Officer (Raymond Tensing)  indicted by grand jury on charges of murder and involuntary manslaughter and fired by the department.  Trial in October 2016.

Last edited by a moderator:
:facepalm:

I think my local police and their union over-reacted here. I didn't take this as anti-police. Feels like an excuse to push another agenda......like they weren't getting paid enough by the Lynx for the duty in the first place.

IMPD officer's house shot at, man in custody

INDIANAPOLIS -- A man was taken into custody on suspicion of shooting at an IMPD officer's house and vehicle Tuesday morning. 

RTV6 sources say somebody shot at an IMPD officer's house and police car on the near east side around 2 a.m. The officer's wife and 10-year-old son were in the house at the time. Investigators found 17 shell casings at the scene. There were three bullet holes in the police car and none in the house.

Police had a suspect description based on witnesses and surveillance video.

The witnesses told officers they saw a black man driving a tan, mid-2000s Chevy Cobalt and had parked the car a few houses east of the house. They said they saw the suspect get out of the car, yell "F--- the police," and shoot at the house and police car.

One witness also said they saw somebody matching the suspect's description walking around the officer's house Friday. They said the person was wearing a white T-shirt with "Black Lives Matter" on it.

When police looked at the surveillance video, there were no other vehicles seen on video between 1:30 a.m. and 2:28 a.m. 

As officers were searching through the area, an officer saw a tan Chevy Cobalt a few blocks from the house. When the driver noticed the vehicle, he did a three-point turn and sped away. Police chased him, and he was apprehended.

The suspect, March Ratney, was identified at the scene by witnesses. He was wearing a black shirt with the words "f--- the police" on the front, and "black lives matter" on the back.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/man-arrested-charged-with-shooting-at-impd-officers-house-vehicle

This woks very well for white people.  

It shows an incredible lack of awareness about what the rest of America goes through. 

I'm the oldest of 5 boys.  I always told my brothers:  Don't be dumb in your car, always be smart in your car. 

I was mostly thinking about pot, don't ever have pot in your car,  or don't drive like an idiot in your car.  

Because my observations as a rural white kid was this: cops caught you doing something after you got pulled over for speeding, or expired something or other,  or traffic violation,  etc.  

I never had any experience with cops messing with me,  or pulling me over,  for  no reason. 

Not giving police a reason,  for a lot of people,  isn't enough. 
I don't think it shows lack of awareness at all. I realize there's work to be done but I also am a realist and realize that like it or not, a police officer's actions are a learned response based on experience. I'm no fan of police in general because I personally feel they habitually abuse their authority, but I also don't think they go around shooting people for no reason. Don't give them a reason to draw their weapon - don't become belligerent, don't resist, don't become physical, etc... Show me the case where someone got shot after following police instructions. 

I don't think it shows lack of awareness at all. I realize there's work to be done but I also am a realist and realize that like it or not, a police officer's actions are a learned response based on experience. I'm no fan of police in general because I personally feel they habitually abuse their authority, but I also don't think they go around shooting people for no reason. Don't give them a reason to draw their weapon - don't become belligerent, don't resist, don't become physical, etc... Show me the case where someone got shot after following police instructions. 
I believe that there is nothing to be gained from going further here, as I believe we are so far apart as to not even be within shouting distance of each other.  I would not know where to begin.  Nothing personal, this is not an attack, I just can't think of a response.  

Aftermath?  
If I'm not mistaken, the responding officers were not given the information about it being a juvenile with what was likely a toy gun. That was never communicated to them by the 911 op. 

I believe that there is nothing to be gained from going further here, as I believe we are so far apart as to not even be within shouting distance of each other.  I would not know where to begin.  Nothing personal, this is not an attack, I just can't think of a response.  
No worries. And by the way, my rationale applies to people of all colors, not just blacks. 

Neither cop administered CPR to a 12 year old boy, and he died.  
This is one area I would really like to see improved. Lets say you pull over a car that has three occupants. Something happens and you are forced to shoot one. Cuff the other two or cuff one and instruct the other on how to perform CPR immediately. I understand securing the area and the scene for the cops safety. You can still maintain control AND get medical attention to the victim much faster than what they frequently do. If the other two are uncooperative, fine, I get it, but at least you tried.

If I'm not mistaken, the responding officers were not given the information about it being a juvenile with what was likely a toy gun. That was never communicated to them by the 911 op. 
That's correct, the 911 operator never relayed that info.  

I'm willing to guess that the 911 operator faced no punishment for this fact.  After all, the previously deemed unfit officer faced no charges, so clearly nothing wrong happened.  

Two seconds.  Two seconds after arriving, the officer determined that deadly force, on this 12 year old boy, was necessary.  Two seconds.  

Why do states have laws whete you must notify police that you are carrying when stopped? 
I would guess the rationale is so that a cop isn't surprised by a concealed weapon which could lead to tragedy.  It I had a concealed weapon and was stopped by police it would be common sense to me to announce to the officer that I had a weapon on my person so that they weren't surprised by the finding if it came to that.  There is no reason to hide that information from the cop because it could only lead to negative responses.  There is no positive reason to keep that information hidden.

That's correct, the 911 operator never relayed that info.  

I'm willing to guess that the 911 operator faced no punishment for this fact.  After all, the previously deemed unfit officer faced no charges, so clearly nothing wrong happened.  

Two seconds.  Two seconds after arriving, the officer determined that deadly force, on this 12 year old boy, was necessary.  Two seconds.  

I can agree with you on having a problem with no actions taken to save Tamir's life.

However, if you don't think those 2 seconds could mean the difference between life and death, even with a 12 year old wielding a firearm, I don't know what to tell you.

As tragic as it is, the officers simply thought they were in harms way and acted appropriately.

If only it were that simple

About 7 or 8 years ago I was pulled over because my tags had expired. I ended up having a gun pulled on my during this routine traffic stop despite me following the orders of the officer.

2 days prior to the stop I receive in the mail the new registration sticker for my tags. It’s raining that day and I didn’t have a garage. I don’t feel like going back out in the rain to put the sticker on the tag so I place the sticker under my car keys so I know to grab it on my way to work.

It rains the next day as well so I don’t put the sticker on the tag but I do leave it in the passenger seat so I don’t forget it.

Day of the stop. It’s not raining. I pick my daughter up from day care, I put her in the booster seat in the back. I am taking her with me to softball practice. I have to make a stop by a friend’s house to pick up a couple of bats. Instead of putting the bats in the back of the SUV I just put them on the passenger side.

I take the beltline to the other side of town where practice is traffic is bumper to bumper. About 2 exits before I want to get off I notice an officer a few cars behind me and I think to myself #### I forgot to put that damn sticker on the plate. So now I am hoping this guy doesn’t get to where he can see my plates.

Of course despite all the traffic he is able to spot my tags with the expired sticker on them. He follows me of my exit and turns his lights on for me to pull over. The street is busy so I put on my hazards and drive to the next side street and pull in a parking lot.

I had a personalized license plates at the time that said YENRUB.

The officer is a young white guy looked like he was fresh out of the academy. I’m in my early 40’s

He sits in his car for a few seconds I can tell he is running the plates. Then he walks to the car and asks for license and registration. I give him the paper work. After looking at my license and noticing that my address is on the other side of town he looks at me and says “you’re a long way from home what are you doing on this side of town where are you going?”

Now my 1st thought was who in the hell does this mother####er think he is I’m a grown ### man I can go any ####### where I want to go. But I didn’t say that I simply say that “I am going to softball practice at the park down the street”.

He then asks if the car is stolen. At this point I am pissed and respond with “I gave you my license and registration with YENRUB on them and the plates on the vehicle say YENRUB on it. Why would you ask me that?”

He gives me some BS about a rash of stolen cars.

Then he asks me if I have any weapons in the car. I tell him that I do not.

Then he asks me if I know why I was pulled over and I say “yes, it’s because my sticker is out of date”. I tell him that I have the up to date sticker in the passenger seat. I reach over to the passenger seat to get the envelope with the up to date sticker at that time I guess he noticed the bats. That is when the gun comes out. He tells me to put my hands up and says “you said you didn’t have any weapons in the car”. At this point I’m more confused than scared because I never thought about the softball bats being weapons so I really have no idea what he is talking about.

Fortunately for me he got an emergency call on the radio for a real crime happening nearby so he had to leave.

I can agree with you on having a problem with no actions taken to save Tamir's life.

However, if you don't think those 2 seconds could mean the difference between life and death, even with a 12 year old wielding a firearm, I don't know what to tell you.

As tragic as it is, the officers simply thought they were in harms way and acted appropriately.
One officer, the other didn't think it necessary to fire.  The officer who was deemed 'UNFIT' to be a police officer at his previous job.  

This kid was on a playground, in winter, pretty much alone.  The officers didn't speak to him, and one just opened fire.  If you think those facts sync up with ''they were in harm's way and acted appropriately'' then I don't know what to tell YOU.  

This kid was alone, on a playground.  Officers pulled up, and in two seconds, one shot him dead.  Those are facts.  Can two seconds mean the difference between life and death?  Yes.  Is that enough time to determine that a kid at a distance is an immediate threat and must be killed, with no direction, or instructions to the kid, no, man.  NO.  It's not enough time.  

Here's the thing:  This isn't a problem with police, or the Cleveland police.  It was this one officer I have a problem with.  Not his partner.  Him.  

What makes it bad?  When the Sherriff's office determines that nothing out of the ordinary occurred, and the grand jury declines to indict.  

Protecting officers like this is what gets people really angry.  

If only it were that simple

About 7 or 8 years ago I was pulled over because my tags had expired. I ended up having a gun pulled on my during this routine traffic stop despite me following the orders of the officer.

2 days prior to the stop I receive in the mail the new registration sticker for my tags. It’s raining that day and I didn’t have a garage. I don’t feel like going back out in the rain to put the sticker on the tag so I place the sticker under my car keys so I know to grab it on my way to work.

It rains the next day as well so I don’t put the sticker on the tag but I do leave it in the passenger seat so I don’t forget it.

Day of the stop. It’s not raining. I pick my daughter up from day care, I put her in the booster seat in the back. I am taking her with me to softball practice. I have to make a stop by a friend’s house to pick up a couple of bats. Instead of putting the bats in the back of the SUV I just put them on the passenger side.

I take the beltline to the other side of town where practice is traffic is bumper to bumper. About 2 exits before I want to get off I notice an officer a few cars behind me and I think to myself #### I forgot to put that damn sticker on the plate. So now I am hoping this guy doesn’t get to where he can see my plates.

Of course despite all the traffic he is able to spot my tags with the expired sticker on them. He follows me of my exit and turns his lights on for me to pull over. The street is busy so I put on my hazards and drive to the next side street and pull in a parking lot.

I had a personalized license plates at the time that said YENRUB.

The officer is a young white guy looked like he was fresh out of the academy. I’m in my early 40’s

He sits in his car for a few seconds I can tell he is running the plates. Then he walks to the car and asks for license and registration. I give him the paper work. After looking at my license and noticing that my address is on the other side of town he looks at me and says “you’re a long way from home what are you doing on this side of town where are you going?”

Now my 1st thought was who in the hell does this mother####er think he is I’m a grown ### man I can go any ####### where I want to go. But I didn’t say that I simply say that “I am going to softball practice at the park down the street”.

He then asks if the car is stolen. At this point I am pissed and respond with “I gave you my license and registration with YENRUB on them and the plates on the vehicle say YENRUB on it. Why would you ask me that?”

He gives me some BS about a rash of stolen cars.

Then he asks me if I have any weapons in the car. I tell him that I do not.

Then he asks me if I know why I was pulled over and I say “yes, it’s because my sticker is out of date”. I tell him that I have the up to date sticker in the passenger seat. I reach over to the passenger seat to get the envelope with the up to date sticker at that time I guess he noticed the bats. That is when the gun comes out. He tells me to put my hands up and says “you said you didn’t have any weapons in the car”. At this point I’m more confused than scared because I never thought about the softball bats being weapons so I really have no idea what he is talking about.

Fortunately for me he got an emergency call on the radio for a real crime happening nearby so he had to leave.
 I know that sucked for you, but I'm not seeing the problem. I'm really not. That is probably the number one moment in a police/motorist interaction where there is the potential for a problem. And while it is definitely disconcerting to have a gun pulled on you for what you knew in your head to be nothing, the cop did not know that. He probably has a wife and kids too and planned on seeing them later just like you did and was going to make damn sure he didn't end up dead on the side of the road because he gave someone the benefit of the doubt. They can't afford to give anyone that benefit and sad to say - now more than ever. 

And if you read my earlier post, I'm not a fan of police in general, but I have to admit they're in a bad spot because they have to assume the worst and act accordingly which goes against the grain for most folks.

I know that sucked for you, but I'm not seeing the problem. I'm really not. That is probably the number one moment in a police/motorist interaction where there is the potential for a problem. And while it is definitely disconcerting to have a gun pulled on you for what you knew in your head to be nothing, the cop did not know that. He probably has a wife and kids too and planned on seeing them later just like you did and was going to make damn sure he didn't end up dead on the side of the road because he gave someone the benefit of the doubt. They can't afford to give anyone that benefit and sad to say - now more than ever. 

And if you read my earlier post, I'm not a fan of police in general, but I have to admit they're in a bad spot because they have to assume the worst and act accordingly which goes against the grain for most folks.
Lesson here:  Don't play softball, and don't drive over to the opposite side of town.  

Lesson here:  Don't play softball, and don't drive over to the opposite side of town.  
Lesson really is put your tag on when it was supposed to be in the first place. Made himself a target. Or did you forget that part? 

Lesson really is put your tag on when it was supposed to be in the first place. Made himself a target. Or did you forget that part? 
Don't have a tag on your car, not justification for gun being pulled. 

Expired tags are not justification for any action like that.  Period.

Don't have a tag on your car, not justification for gun being pulled. 

Expired tags are not justification for any action like that.  Period.
To be fair, the OP said the gun came out when the cop noticed there were bats on the passenger side of the vehicle that OP was reaching toward. He didn't get a gun pulled on him because of expired tabs.

To be fair, the OP said the gun came out when the cop noticed there were bats on the passenger side of the vehicle that OP was reaching toward. He didn't get a gun pulled on him because of expired tabs.
This is true. 

Are we at the point where 40-something white guys need to announce that they have sporting goods in the car? 

Now my 1st thought was who in the hell does this mother####er think he is I’m a grown ### man I can go any ####### where I want to go. 
We have identified the whole problem. You are driving around with what to any logical person appear to be expired plates, yet the cop is a mother ####er.?

I am sure you have an amazing poker face and exhibited zero anger at all. I am sure you were 100% polite at all times. Of course you suppressed your first thought. I am sure you always follow all traffic laws, except this one time.

Zero accountability in this world. Everything is always somebody else's fault. So stupid. 

Exactly. 

We have identified the whole problem. You are driving around with what to any logical person appear to be expired plates, yet the cop is a mother ####er.?

I am sure you have an amazing poker face and exhibited zero anger at all. I am sure you were 100% polite at all times. Of course you suppressed your first thought. I am sure you always follow all traffic laws, except this one time.

Zero accountability in this world. Everything is always somebody else's fault. So stupid. 
Expired tags don't justify the cops actions.  Neither do sporting goods.

Bats can be used as a weapon, though unless the car was a convertible, it would be pretty hard to use them in these circumstances.
So can tennis rackets.  You wouldn't announce those as weapons. 

Really,  I wonder why the officer didn't notice the bats before.  You don't check the interior of the vehicle as you approach from the rear?  Then,  he notices them,  and pulls his gun?  He isn't observant,  so yanking his weapon is understandable?  

Bats can be used as a weapon, though unless the car was a convertible, it would be pretty hard to use them in these circumstances.
Agreed. I was just thinking that. I have played a lot of softball in my life and I don't know anyone who is good enough to grab a 34" bat from the passenger side of a vehicle and do any real damage with it (to someone (presumably) outside the driver side window) from a seated driver position. At least, not quickly enough that the cop couldn't react and avoid/draw weapon/etc. So it does seem the cop was being overly cautious/excessive in this case. But, that is easy for me to say sitting here in the den of my home. The cop is standing there in the street and its his ### on the line.

This is true and a worthwhile correction, but I don't think it in any way excuses the officer. The kid took no menacing action towards the cop. Even if the cop thought he was an adult and even if the cop thought the gun was real, Ohio is an open carry state and the kid was just sitting at a park bench. No way he should have been shooting two seconds after stopping the car.

Agreed. I was just thinking that. I have played a lot of softball in my life and I don't know anyone who is good enough to grab a 34" bat from the passenger side of a vehicle and do any real damage with it (to someone (presumably) outside the driver side window) from a seated driver position. At least, not quickly enough that the cop couldn't react and avoid/draw weapon/etc. So it does seem the cop was being overly cautious/excessive in this case. But, that is easy for me to say sitting here in the den of my home. The cop is standing there in the street and its his ### on the line.
And the driver.  The guy without a gun.  His ### is on the line as well.  

LOL you guys are something else.

A few things. I am a black guy.

When the officer asked me what I was doing on that side of town I did let him know that I was going to softball practice.

No I don’t have the best poker face in the world and I am sure he could tell that I wasn’t happy about the question nor the tone in which it was asked.

The question was out of line in that situation. If he had pulled me over for speeding and said something like “where are you going so fast”, I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

Also when he ran my plates he knew the car wasn’t stolen and that the tags were up to date so why ask me if the car is stolen?

I’m not blaming the officer for pulling me over I’m blaming him for being an ####### during the stop. I know I didn’t have the tags on the car. I expected to get pulled but I treated him with respect. He however didn’t reciprocate.

LOL you guys are something else.

A few things. I am a black guy.

When the officer asked me what I was doing on that side of town I did let him know that I was going to softball practice.

No I don’t have the best poker face in the world and I am sure he could tell that I wasn’t happy about the question nor the tone in which it was asked.

The question was out of line in that situation. If he had pulled me over for speeding and said something like “where are you going so fast”, I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

Also when he ran my plates he knew the car wasn’t stolen and that the tags were up to date so why ask me if the car is stolen?

I’m not blaming the officer for pulling me over I’m blaming him for being an ####### during the stop. I know I didn’t have the tags on the car. I expected to get pulled but I treated him with respect. He however didn’t reciprocate.
Fyi the " what are you doing" "where are you going" is standard drug war protocol. 

Users who are viewing this thread