What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Black lives matter (3 Viewers)

You know what the difference is, you just don't want to admit it.  There are 197 million whites and there were 2854 white on white murders in 2016,  That is a rate of 1.4 per 10,000.  There are 41 million blacks and there were 2570 black on black murders in 2016.  That is a rate of 6.3 per 10,000.  That is a 450 percent higher rate.  This is a basic statistical trick of race-baiting is to ignore rates when it suits their purpose.
What does the above have to do with his claim that the % of black on black crime for the population is similar to the % of white on white crime for their population?   

Many reasons why the rate/10,000 would be higher in one population vs the other too, but I am sure you know that too.  

What does the above have to do with his claim that the % of black on black crime for the population is similar to the % of white on white crime for their population?   

Many reasons why the rate/10,000 would be higher in one population vs the other too, but I am sure you know that too.  
I don't get this.  Black on black is over 4 times that of white on white.  What is your point?

I don't get this.  Black on black is over 4 times that of white on white.  What is your point?
I thought the op was saying that the vast majority of murders in each population were by people of their own race.  

That is not the same as talking about murder/10k population.  

You know what the difference is, you just don't want to admit it.  There are 197 million whites and there were 2854 white on white murders in 2016,  That is a rate of 1.4 per 10,000.  There are 41 million blacks and there were 2570 black on black murders in 2016.  That is a rate of 6.3 per 10,000.  That is a 450 percent higher rate.  This is a basic statistical trick of race-baiting is to ignore rates when it suits their purpose.
Why is the rate higher for blacks? 

not sure im following your point.  Less police use of lethal force is a good thing.  Or do you disagree with this?
Sure that is good, but it does not mean they are not negative impacts which are far greater.  Cities like Seattle saw an astounding 74 percent spike in murders while several other major cities also experienced a greater than 50 percent spike.  You may be saving 50-60 lives per year from police shootings, but at the expense of thousands of more innocent victim's lifes.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure that is good, but it does not mean they are not negative impacts which are far greater.  Cities like Seattle saw an astounding 74 percent spike in murders while several other major cities also experienced a greater than 50 percent spike.  You may be saving 50-60 lives per year from police shootings, but at the expense of thousands of more innocent victim's lifes.  
Got stats?  Also are you saying lethal force is the solution here?  Using lethal force will reduce murders?  Is that your point?  

Got stats?  Also are you saying lethal force is the solution here?  Using lethal force will reduce murders?  Is that your point?  
I don't think it is about leathal force, but it is more likely about a less presence of police.  My point is trying to celebrate an improvement in one stat while completely ignoring the bigger picture seems to point to a huge bias in trying to spin the best narrative for a csuse. 

https://www.statista.com/chart/23905/change-in-homicides-in-us-cities/

Growth in violent crime varied by city with Seattle seeing a 74 percent spike in homicides between 2019 and 2020 while Chicago and Boston saw their offenses grow 55.5 percent and 54 percent, respectively. Elsewhere, Washington D.C. and Las Vegas saw growth in their murder offences, albeit at a slower pace of less than 20 percent.

I don't think it is about leathal force, but it is more likely about a less presence of police.  My point is trying to celebrate an improvement in one stat while completely ignoring the bigger picture seems to point to a huge bias in trying to spin the best narrative for a csuse. 

https://www.statista.com/chart/23905/change-in-homicides-in-us-cities/

Growth in violent crime varied by city with Seattle seeing a 74 percent spike in homicides between 2019 and 2020 while Chicago and Boston saw their offenses grow 55.5 percent and 54 percent, respectively. Elsewhere, Washington D.C. and Las Vegas saw growth in their murder offences, albeit at a slower pace of less than 20 percent.
I mean the point of that post was one stat.  If they weren’t related why wouldn’t you celebrate it?  Instead you tried to undermine it.   So are you happy to see less lethal force used?

not sure im following your point.  Less police use of lethal force is a good thing.  Or do you disagree with this?
Is more crime a good thing?  That is exactly what is happening in major cities now.  Commit a crime, let’s diffuse the situation with community policing or a social worker.  Where is the deterrent?  

on the surface, police use of lethal force is bad, but they have to be taken on a case by case also.  There are a lot of things we can improve on when it involves handling crime.

Is more crime a good thing? 
No and i didnt say that.  But you seem to be again relating this to less lethal force. What does it have to do with @gianmarcos post?  Why cant one be good and the other be bad? None of this is going to be fixed over night but cant you at least acknowledge a good thing?

So i ask you again, do you not think the use of less lethal force is a good thing?

No and i didnt say that.  But you seem to be again relating this to less lethal force. What does it have to do with @gianmarcos post?  Why cant one be good and the other be bad? None of this is going to be fixed over night but cant you at least acknowledge a good thing?

So i ask you again, do you not think the use of less lethal force is a good thing?
If the end game is less lethal force vs criminals, I guess it’s a good thing.  If it’s at the expense of the police doing their jobs legally, I need more convincing.  I realize there are very bad cops also, like the one in Minn.  

Nuance.  Bigger picture.  All the factors and facts.

Of course in a complete vacuum less lethal force is a good thing.  We don't live in a vacuum.

Comparable to a similar argument I see around covid lockdowns.  Lets say that a complete lockdown will safe a life.  Do you ignore all other impacts?  If you provided a link that indicated there was a complete shutdown in California and that one person lived above the expected average for the state (which is about the level of sophistication of the study linked)...would you be surprised if everyone didn't auto-celebrate that?

If the end game is less lethal force vs criminals, I guess it’s a good thing.  If it’s at the expense of the police doing their jobs legally, I need more convincing.  I realize there are very bad cops also, like the one in Minn.  

Nuance.  Bigger picture.  All the factors and facts.

Of course in a complete vacuum less lethal force is a good thing.  We don't live in a vacuum.

Comparable to a similar argument I see around covid lockdowns.  Lets say that a complete lockdown will safe a life.  Do you ignore all other impacts?  If you provided a link that indicated there was a complete shutdown in California and that one person lived above the expected average for the state (which is about the level of sophistication of the study linked)...would you be surprised if everyone didn't auto-celebrate that?
progress.  Again, we have to take our wins.  Im not saying we are finished.  Of course we want less murders, less crime.  But the excessive lethal force was a problem and i suspect this will in turn and in time lead to lower crime, better relationships with law enforcement, etc.  Im not expecting it all right away.  Its just odd that someone shared one point of progress and you try to undermine it.

progress.  Again, we have to take our wins.  Im not saying we are finished.  Of course we want less murders, less crime.  But the excessive lethal force was a problem and i suspect this will in turn and in time lead to lower crime, better relationships with law enforcement, etc.  Im not expecting it all right away.  Its just odd that someone shared one point of progress and you try to undermine it.
To me it is odd that people would post something as fact that was originally stated as a question by the authors and also not care at all about any of the other impacts/consequences.  Hard for me to not look at both. 

To my example above, is it odd to you that I would look at a covid lockdown that saves lives (comparable to less death by excessive force in your example) and not also say "hey, i'd like to know the other impacts of shutting 30M people in their homes for month".....because maybe this isnt as good as it seems or actually even a net negative?  I can't in a vacuum say "I'll take the lockdown win"

To me it is odd that people would post something as fact that was originally stated as a question by the authors and also not care at all about any of the other impacts/consequences.  Hard for me to not look at both. 

To my example above, is it odd to you that I would look at a covid lockdown that saves lives (comparable to less death by excessive force in your example) and not also say "hey, i'd like to know the other impacts of shutting 30M people in their homes for month".....because maybe this isnt as good as it seems or actually even a net negative?  I can't in a vacuum say "I'll take the lockdown win"
who says G or I dont care about the other factors?  The response was undermining.  Period.  Just say hey thats interesting and its some sort of progress(as it is) and keep it moving.  Instead the choice was to undermine a study that showed interesting progress.

Pinky, I don’t know the answer here but I’ll throw it out to you.  What percentage of police on black lethal force goes unreported these days?  

who says G or I dont care about the other factors?  The response was undermining.  Period.  Just say hey thats interesting and its some sort of progress(as it is) and keep it moving.  Instead the choice was to undermine a study that showed interesting progress.
Undermine?  The choice was to say dude you drew a conclusion that not even the author was willing to state and that this is incredibly unencompassing of a much bigger issue.

I know that sort of discussion (embodied by the original post and replies) doesn’t fit for the tone of a message board where it’s more about “who’s winning covid relief messaging”...so yes barking up the wrong tree.

Ok it’s progress and that is a good thing.  Now  you can address this.  https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/01/20/citys-carjacking-surge-shows-no-sign-of-slowing-so-residents-are-buying-guns/

This reduction is due to a reduction in arrests is what he is saying. (That study acknowledges this)

So to use extreme to illustrate. Lets say murders are way up like 200% increase and violent crime goes up 50%. Lets say arrests drop 50%. Lethal police force drops 50% because lethal police force is the result of negative interactions during arrests. 

So 10 fewer people get killed by police, but 200 more murders, lots more accidental killings during car thefts, more assaults, etc. 

Is the town better off? 

This reduction is due to a reduction in arrests is what he is saying. (That study acknowledges this)

So to use extreme to illustrate. Lets say murders are way up like 200% increase and violent crime goes up 50%. Lets say arrests drop 50%. Lethal police force drops 50% because lethal police force is the result of negative interactions during arrests. 

So 10 fewer people get killed by police, but 200 more murders, lots more accidental killings during car thefts, more assaults, etc. 

Is the town better off? 
Take the win!! 

Because it's not progress, seems like they're trying to help you. 

I think one important data point missing would be reported crimes for the areas involved. It is entirely possible that fewer arrests in these areas are due to what you are saying. It is also important to note that this study was over 5 years not just based on 2020, which undoubtedly had massive increases and we dont fully know why yet. 

That's just the first sentence of the abstract and it's posed as a question as that's what they are looking at.  If you pull up the entire paper and go down to the conclusion (assuming you don't want to read the whole thing), you'll see it's no longer posed as a question, but instead that the data suggests the answer to the question in the abstract is answered with some caveats.  There are limitations to the study and there are certainly other factors at play.  But, it's something to consider.  Here it is:

6. Conclusion

Difference-in-differences estimates suggest that census places with Black Lives Matter protests have experienced a 15% to 20% decrease in police homicides from 2014 to 2019,approximately 300 fewer police homicides. This fall in lethal use-of-force is growing overtime and is prominent when protests are large or frequent. While this reduction is robust to specification, estimator choice, choice of data, and population screens, it did not hold if lethal use-of-force is normalized by violent crime or arrests. BLM protests also increase the probability of a police agency having body-cameras, expand community policing, and reduce the number of future property crime-related arrests, which may partially explain the lethal force reduction

As for my "post", I included no commentary other than the link itself.

Question - why do you think there is such a discrepancy in the rates?  Why is the black on black rate so much worse?

Question - why do you think there is such a discrepancy in the rates?  Why is the black on black rate so much worse?
Go look at the single mother rate in the black community vs literally ANY other race.  I'll let you put two and two together to figure it out.  It ain't hard.

Also, you can thank Democrat policies/legislation for that.

The two-parent family has been non existant for four generations now in black america.  Countless studies about kids being more successful growing up in two parent families are real.  Many kids go to gangs for acceptance and that is their family.  The libs can spin white priviledge any way they want, but the blacks have to take care of their house.  

The two-parent family has been non existant for four generations now in black america.  Countless studies about kids being more successful growing up in two parent families are real.  Many kids go to gangs for acceptance and that is their family.  The libs can spin white priviledge any way they want, but the blacks have to take care of their house.  
Why do you think this is the case? 

Having said all that, i dont think this is the root issue.

Black, Latino Two-Parent Families Have Half The Wealth Of White Single Parents

Also see here as i think this as a root issue is overblown

5 Lies We Should Stop Telling About Black Fatherhood

one more

6 Actual Facts Shatter the Biggest Stereotypes of Black Fathers

Why do you think this is the case? 

Having said all that, i dont think this is the root issue.

Black, Latino Two-Parent Families Have Half The Wealth Of White Single Parents

Also see here as i think this as a root issue is overblown

5 Lies We Should Stop Telling About Black Fatherhood

one more

6 Actual Facts Shatter the Biggest Stereotypes of Black Fathers
There are a lot of reasons but children from single parent homes (no matter the color) are at a disadvantage.  Part of it is society’s acceptance with single parents as they can “have it all” - career, family, independence, and don’t have to be married to achieve it.  This is especially true with whites.  Teen pregnancy and a corrupt prison system are factors also.

FairWarning said:
There are a lot of reasons but children from single parent homes (no matter the color) are at a disadvantage.  Part of it is society’s acceptance with single parents as they can “have it all” - career, family, independence, and don’t have to be married to achieve it.  This is especially true with whites.  Teen pregnancy and a corrupt prison system are factors also.
Ok.  And i agree with you there but is it single home or single parent involvement?  

also stats still show two parent black homes still fall short to their white counterparts so is this really the root issue?  I’m not saying that it shouldn’t be addressed.  But could it be a symptom of larger issues? Could there be other issues that would address wealth and incarcerations and eduction gaps in black families?

i just think many people just spout this out like it’s the end all be all to fix issues in the black community and imo it’s not. Statistics agree with me as well.  

Ok.  And i agree with you there but is it single home or single parent involvement?  

also stats still show two parent black homes still fall short to their white counterparts so is this really the root issue?  I’m not saying that it shouldn’t be addressed.  But could it be a symptom of larger issues? Could there be other issues that would address wealth and incarcerations and eduction gaps in black families?

i just think many people just spout this out like it’s the end all be all to fix issues in the black community and imo it’s not. Statistics agree with me as well.  
This is a very dated article, but nothing has changed.  I’m in this town right now.  If it wasn’t a big deal, why would the LA Times write about it?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1994-09-18-mn-39899-story.html%3f_amp=true

This is a very dated article, but nothing has changed.  I’m in this town right now.  If it wasn’t a big deal, why would the LA Times write about it?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1994-09-18-mn-39899-story.html%3f_amp=true
I’m not saying it’s not a big deal.  I’m saying it’s not the root issue people think it is to solving issues in black communities.  The articles are a few years old but still relevant especially since you referenced going back to the 60s.  Historical context is important here.  Too many people act like black communities have been playing on a level field since slavery ended.  I think we all know that wasn’t true and still isn’t.

also read the articles i posted.  This issue impacts whites and blacks differently.  Because even two parent black families are still at disadvantage.  So why is that the case?  

I’m not saying it’s not a big deal.  I’m saying it’s not the root issue people think it is to solving issues in black communities.  The articles are a few years old but still relevant especially since you referenced going back to the 60s.  Historical context is important here.  Too many people act like black communities have been playing on a level field since slavery ended.  I think we all know that wasn’t true and still isn’t.

also read the articles i posted.  This issue impacts whites and blacks differently.  Because even two parent black families are still at disadvantage.  So why is that the case?  
Pinky, what do you think is the root issue?  Do you think one root issue is >50% of the total issue or is it a collection of primary issues (interested in your top 3-4).  Thanks

There has been racism that has kept blacks down, from housing to jobs.  It’s still life choices even in their teenage years that matter.  I couldn’t imagine that responsibility at 15.

If the father (or mother) isn’t around, the other is working 2 jobs, who is the kid’s role model in those times they need to be set straight?  If the BLM wants to be taken seriously, they address these issues.  Solve these and there are a lot less George Floyd issues.  

If the father (or mother) isn’t around, the other is working 2 jobs, who is the kid’s role model in those times they need to be set straight?  If the BLM wants to be taken seriously, they address these issues.  Solve these and there are a lot less George Floyd issues.  
Even assuming this is the main issue, even though we can likely agree there are multiple factors, why aren't the fathers around? Why aren't there role models in black families if we are saying this is the main cause?

Even assuming this is the main issue, even though we can likely agree there are multiple factors, why aren't the fathers around? Why aren't there role models in black families if we are saying this is the main cause?
One of Pinky’s links above suggested that 75% of the single fathers are around. My BS meter went off at that point. 

One of Pinky’s links above suggested that 75% of the single fathers are around. My BS meter went off at that point. 
It shouldn't go off.  But even still, why do you think those problems plague the black community assuming it's the main issue (or at least a significant issue)? 

In the cases of guys I went to HS with immaturity and teen aged pregnancy is a big reason.  One guy I know had 2 kids in HS and another at 19 by 2 different women.  At first he thought is was cool. Now at 36 his one son quit school in 10th grade, the other has been in and out of trouble and his daughter just had a baby at 17.  This guy is a good guy but is detached from his kids because he said he was not ready to be a father. 

I mean none of us are at that age. Now he wants to be involved but it is too late.

Now his 3 kids are screwed up at a young age and the cycle is repeating.  This is only one case.  I guess education about teen aged pregnancy would help some. The odds are stacked against a child and parent having success with teen aged pregnancies.  There are some success stories but they are few and far between.

In the cases of guys I went to HS with immaturity and teen aged pregnancy is a big reason.  One guy I know had 2 kids in HS and another at 19 by 2 different women.  At first he thought is was cool. Now at 36 his one son quit school in 10th grade, the other has been in and out of trouble and his daughter just had a baby at 17.  This guy is a good guy but is detached from his kids because he said he was not ready to be a father. 

I mean none of us are at that age. Now he wants to be involved but it is too late.

Now his 3 kids are screwed up at a young age and the cycle is repeating.  This is only one case.  I guess education about teen aged pregnancy would help some. The odds are stacked against a child and parent having success with teen aged pregnancies.  There are some success stories but they are few and far between.
Definitely. 

When you mix poverty, lesser education, decreased access and quality of healthcare, increased arrest and incarceration rates, you get these kinds of stories and more (gang activity, drug use, etc). 

The cycle can be broken for any individual, but as a group, it's more difficult compared to their counterparts that don't have those disadvantages.

Users who are viewing this thread