What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bloomberg 2020 (2 Viewers)

I feel like a month is enough time to respond...I'm trying to read through his proposals, but see no real meat around healthcare....anyone have a link to his policy proposal on this?
Not detailed, but from his site: 

How Mike Will Get It Done:
Create a Medicare-like public insurance option
Improve and expand enrollment in Affordable Care Act plans
Allow people to keep their private insurance
Cap health care prices
Lower drug costs
Expand access to dental, hearing, and vision coverage
Create a permanent reinsurance program that reduces customer premiums

And, here is some info on prior positions and action from before he declared
https://www.politico.com/newsletters/politico-pulse/2019/11/08/what-bloomberg-believes-on-health-care-782172

Not detailed, but from his site: 

How Mike Will Get It Done:
Create a Medicare-like public insurance option
Improve and expand enrollment in Affordable Care Act plans
Allow people to keep their private insurance
Cap health care prices
Lower drug costs
Expand access to dental, hearing, and vision coverage
Create a permanent reinsurance program that reduces customer premiums

And, here is some info on prior positions and action from before he declared
https://www.politico.com/newsletters/politico-pulse/2019/11/08/what-bloomberg-believes-on-health-care-782172
Yeah....I've read all that.  Am struggling to understand how that's different from what he rejected before.  There has to be something different that I'm missing.

What did he reject-public option? The Politico article indicates he didn't support M4All.
Memory might be failing me, but I thought I remembered him being in Liebermann's ear with regard to the public option being a bad idea in the original Obamacare proposal presented to the Senate.

Warren says Bloomy trying to buy the election with record spending.  It may work.  I saw at least 8 ads for Bloomy on local TV last night.

I just wonder who the audience is for this ad. I mean, 35% of the country thinks the Trump antics are adorable. The rest of it know it’s awful. Is there some undecided voters somewhere who watches this ad and thinks, “You know, I’d never thought of it before, but Trump has really cheapened the dignity of the office!”
I think it's for the people that don't like the antics but might still vote for him for other reasons.

I just wonder who the audience is for this ad. I mean, 35% of the country thinks the Trump antics are adorable. The rest of it know it’s awful. Is there some undecided voters somewhere who watches this ad and thinks, “You know, I’d never thought of it before, but Trump has really cheapened the dignity of the office!”
Absolutely! Trump didn't win the election with 35%. He won -- well, he won for a lot of small things that made a difference in a close race, but one of those things was enough Republicans who didn't much care for him but decided he was the lesser of two evils. Bloomberg is making a direct play for those people.

Absolutely! Trump didn't win the election with 35%. He won -- well, he won for a lot of small things that made a difference in a close race, but one of those things was enough Republicans who didn't much care for him but decided he was the lesser of two evils. Bloomberg is making a direct play for those people.
By pointing out all the stuff they knew in 2016 while still voting for him?  It’s not as if Bloomberg is running on tax cuts and conservative judges. He’s running significantly to the left of his record on the issues. 

Warren says Bloomy trying to buy the election with record spending.  It may work.  I saw at least 8 ads for Bloomy on local TV last night.
We've been pummeled in Florida since early January.  I'm not complaining.  He's the Dems only hope, imo.  

By pointing out all the stuff they knew in 2016 while still voting for him?  It’s not as if Bloomberg is running on tax cuts and conservative judges. He’s running significantly to the left of his record on the issues. 
People keep thinking that elections are about issues.

Pepsi ads are not about how great Pepsi tastes. They're about how attractive Pepsi-drinkers are to the opposite sex. That's what works.

Bloomberg's ad paints Trump as an uncool oaf, not as a winner. It's about the vibe, not the issues. Voters want to side with the cool kids, so making Trump look uncool is the aim. It's just branding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pepsi ads are not about how great Pepsi tastes. They're about how attractive Pepsi-drinkers are to the opposite sex. That's what works.

Bloomberg's ad paints Trump as an uncool oaf, not as a winner. It's about the vibe, not the issues. Voters want to side with the cool kids. It's just Branding.
Exactly.  I hope we see a lot more of this.  Make Trump look like a dumb, crooked buffoon.  It shouldn't be too hard.  

Memory might be failing me, but I thought I remembered him being in Liebermann's ear with regard to the public option being a bad idea in the original Obamacare proposal presented to the Senate.
I can only find stuff about Lieberman from back then. But it was ten years ago and there was not yet experience with ACA without it. Lieberman said it wasn't needed because there was enough competition in private insurance, but that hasn't panned out. Many insurers have left the individual market in various states.

I can only find stuff about Lieberman from back then. But it was ten years ago and there was not yet experience with ACA without it. Lieberman said it wasn't needed because there was enough competition in private insurance, but that hasn't panned out. Many insurers have left the individual market in various states.
I can't put my hands on it either.  Lieberman was pretty blunt that he thought it was a gateway to government control of our healthcare.....something I felt was woefully uneducated on his part.  Need to go back and reread some of those links...thanks!

Exactly.  I hope we see a lot more of this.  Make Trump look like a dumb, crooked buffoon.  It shouldn't be too hard.  
A ton of his advertisements focus on just this... So whether he gets the nomination or not, I can't complain.

He is the only candidate who can take this guy on. Trump's talking points against Bloomberg are few and far between. Mike is smart, savvy, calm, cool, and collected; he'll make Trump become unhinged (well, much much more unhinged). 

Furthermore, any voter that is holding their nose and voting for Trump based on their wallet can feel comfortable with Bloomberg... Personally, I feel this group will be the deciding factor and absolutely why he needs the nomination. 

I am a bit disappointed that he does not know the difference between an M.O. and a profile.  he meant to say that they, criminals, all fit a particular profile or description.  Modus Operandi has nothing to do with what he was addressing.

He has to be careful of overexposure. He overdoes it he's going to start turning people away being annoying on ads everywhere.

https://twitter.com/benjaminpdixon/status/1227067093692055553

Of course it matters Tim.  They won’t turn out for a candidate that enabled racist cops.
As a New Yorker, I can say with the utmost confidence that the city was a much better place than with the current criminal enabler mayor in office. The numbers don't necessarily reflect it, but that's because police used to do their jobs and you know, arrest criminals... Those days are a thing of the past without Bloomberg.

Mike also wasn't for sale, unlike basically every other politician, ever!

Real estate developer? Please, donate to De Blasio so he can fast track anything you want!

I am a bit disappointed that he does not know the difference between an M.O. and a profile.  he meant to say that they, criminals, all fit a particular profile or description.  Modus Operandi has nothing to do with what he was addressing.
He also said we've "got to get the guns out of the hands of the people that are getting killed."  It seems to me that taking the guns out of the hands of the people doing the killing would be more effective but these are confusing times. 

Bloomberg's ad paints Trump as an uncool oaf, not as a winner. It's about the vibe, not the issues. Voters want to side with the cool kids, so making Trump look uncool is the aim. It's just branding.
He has an entire ad with the ostensible purpose of telling a story about Trump and golf, but that was obviously only created to show a bunch of unflattering pictures of him out on the links.

I feel confident in saying he is the only candidate Trump is actually scared of. 
That's because the fact that Bloomberg is ten times richer than him means, in Trump logic, that he must be ten times better, and Trump's brain can't process that.

(For the record, while I love to see Trump squirm as much as anyone, I also don't know if that's the best criterion for picking a nominee.)

He also said we've "got to get the guns out of the hands of the people that are getting killed."  It seems to me that taking the guns out of the hands of the people doing the killing would be more effective but these are confusing times. 
He's very pro-gun control. NRA HATES HATES HATES him!

I should've bet him when he was 200-1 when I started this thread. I saw how pathetic this Dem crop was and knew Bloomberg had no choice but to make a serious run. 

When he actually gets into a debate, you guys will see why I love him so much. He is going to embarrass Trump and it is going to be spectacular! 

He's got deep pockets, he isn't crooked, and he isn't even the slightest bit intimidated by Trump. 

In this order, I think Trump roots for; Bernie, Mayor Pete, Warren, Biden....

Bloomberg.

The first 4 he'll make mincemeat of.
He barely edged out a win over Hillary.  He's not that great of a candidate.

Give the American public someone decent to vote for, who can stand up to him, and campaign everywhere they should campaign, and he likely loses.

Biden, I'm afraid, would be easy pickings for Trump.  He just doesn't have it imo.  Warren would be OK, but it's really easy to brand her as too far left.  Still, could win if she pivots.  Pete, could stumble if he can't attract minority voters but otherwise is solid.  And Bernie is similar to Warren in terms of weakness, but could likely do OK.

I've not seen Bloomberg in a debate, although I imagine he'd do fine.  I'm sure there's stuff Trump can throw at him, but I agree he's well positioned to be able to handle Trump.  I just don't think he has the convictions of office, and I'm not sold on his judgment politically although I could be convinced.  I think he's a capable leader who is polling to find out the policies that can win it for him, which isn't necessarily a bad thing...I just don't expect conviction from him on the policies he's advancing.  Just that he thinks they're the most reasonable today.

In some ways, being a pragmatist rather than a "believer" may be a good fit for politics today.  I think it allows Trump to be a bit more flexible on things as he has no values to stand behind, just whatever gets him the vote.  If Bloomberg is a little like that, but somewhat more principled in what he's willing to do (things like, oh, I dunno, following rule of law, not soliciting foreign governments to interfere...you know, that stuff), then it may give him some good wiggle room in negotiations where he's not married to any single position but just wants to advance the ball down the field.

Bloomberg is rich but I don't think he has enough money to fully paint that picture.

Love the Twiiter trolls that post snippets of conversations to suit their agendas. 
Politics are big boy business. Bloomberg definitely needs to address the stop and frisk stuff. At some point he needs to speak other than commercials.

Did you live in NYC when he was mayor? Am curious how quick on his feet he is during a debate, how he comes across during speeches. 

As I posted int the Trump HQ thread, no chance Trump debates any candidate.  None.
I mostly agree with you. Also, even if debates happen, people wildly overestimate their effect on the race. They happen very late in the process, when most people's minds are already made up, and most of them aren't particularly memorable

He barely edged out a win over Hillary.  He's not that great of a candidate.

Give the American public someone decent to vote for, who can stand up to him, and campaign everywhere they should campaign, and he likely loses.

Biden, I'm afraid, would be easy pickings for Trump.  He just doesn't have it imo.  Warren would be OK, but it's really easy to brand her as too far left.  Still, could win if she pivots.  Pete, could stumble if he can't attract minority voters but otherwise is solid.  And Bernie is similar to Warren in terms of weakness, but could likely do OK.

I've not seen Bloomberg in a debate, although I imagine he'd do fine.  I'm sure there's stuff Trump can throw at him, but I agree he's well positioned to be able to handle Trump.  I just don't think he has the convictions of office, and I'm not sold on his judgment politically although I could be convinced.  I think he's a capable leader who is polling to find out the policies that can win it for him, which isn't necessarily a bad thing...I just don't expect conviction from him on the policies he's advancing.  Just that he thinks they're the most reasonable today.

In some ways, being a pragmatist rather than a "believer" may be a good fit for politics today.  I think it allows Trump to be a bit more flexible on things as he has no values to stand behind, just whatever gets him the vote.  If Bloomberg is a little like that, but somewhat more principled in what he's willing to do (things like, oh, I dunno, following rule of law, not soliciting foreign governments to interfere...you know, that stuff), then it may give him some good wiggle room in negotiations where he's not married to any single position but just wants to advance the ball down the field.
That's fine.  As long as his name is not Donald J Trump, we'll be better off as a country if he wins.  

Users who are viewing this thread