What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blueprint Juice Diet (1 Viewer)

Mrs. O is pregnant again, so it looks like I'm going to have to battle extra hard to stay on track...

By way of update, I'm up about 5lbs from my low, but still in the ballpark, which is pretty impressive considering I've been mostly eating what I want and drinking a decent amount of booze lately. The only reason I'm still in shouting distance is because many days I don't eat all day -- literally, just coffee and some water -- until 8pm. So even if I eat chinese food and drink a couple beers, I've got 2k calories to burn in that sitting.

But time to get back on the horse, cut out the booze, eat a bit healthier, and try and crack 220...

Mrs. O is pregnant again, so it looks like I'm going to have to battle extra hard to stay on track...

By way of update, I'm up about 5lbs from my low, but still in the ballpark, which is pretty impressive considering I've been mostly eating what I want and drinking a decent amount of booze lately. The only reason I'm still in shouting distance is because many days I don't eat all day -- literally, just coffee and some water -- until 8pm. So even if I eat chinese food and drink a couple beers, I've got 2k calories to burn in that sitting.

But time to get back on the horse, cut out the booze, eat a bit healthier, and try and crack 220...
Congrats

Whoa, missed this. Congrats O!!!

Whoa, missed this. Congrats O!!!
Thanks GB, appreciate that :thumbup:

Lord have I been bad in the past two months. On the upside I started doing the Tanner 8 minute workout in the mornings. It kills me, but I feel pretty great the rest of the day when I do it, and I'm starting to feel like ever so slightly some muscle is coming back. Now I just need to crack down on the diet....

Lord have I been bad in the past two months. On the upside I started doing the Tanner 8 minute workout in the mornings. It kills me, but I feel pretty great the rest of the day when I do it, and I'm starting to feel like ever so slightly some muscle is coming back. Now I just need to crack down on the diet....
:link:

:link:
Officer Pete Malloy said:
I know you're getting a lot of advice in this thread and it's hard to know what will work for you. I've lost 40lb in the last 4 months thanks to a minimal carb diet and exercise.

I'm not an expert but here are a few things I would suggest.

Baby steps: Don't try to go all out right away. You'll burn yourself out and want to quit.

Walk first then run: I walked at least 3-4 miles about 5 days a week for the first 6 weeks of my "program". I wanted to lose about 20lbs before I started running. Of course I probably have a lot more free time than you so it was easy for me. But even if you're only walking 30-45 mins a day you'll be shocked at how much fat/calories you burn and how much more stamina you have after a few weeks. Download something like Endomodo on your iPhone to keep track of time/miles/calories.

Start working your core NOW: I do the Carolina 400 (right now it's the Carolina 220 for me). You don't have to actually follow a program though. Just do crunches, planks, sit-ups, supermans etc etc. Strengthening your core makes all other exercises easier and more efficient. Don't get discouraged if you don't lose your gut just because you're working on your core. Belly fat is related to body fat not ab muscle strength.

One last thing: Give the 7 Minute Workout a try. It sounds silly but do it two times in a row (three if you're in decent enough shape) and you'll think again. Use it on those days that you don't have a lot of time. In anywhere from 15-23 minutes you can workout almost your entire body and do cardio. There are a ton of apps you can download for the iPhone that give you a timer and prompts. I made a couple of adjustments to the program to suit my needs. I don't have a good chair for dips or step-ups. I do overhead triceps extensions with a barbell instead of dips and use the fireplace for step ups. And if you can't do a lot of regular push-ups do them against a kitchen counter or back of the couch.

Kee -- there's an app I downloaded called "Seconds Pro," which is just an interval timer app. I set it up to comport with Tanner's program above, gave each interval the name of the exercise, and built in the stated rest period in between exercises. Works great, and speaks the countdown at the end of each exercise and the name of the next exercise, so you can even hear it while you have your music app rolling. I recommend if you're going to go this route.

I've just been doing the 7 minute exercise once through so far. It's freaking hard for a fat out of shape middle aged dude IMO. Finally have it down, so I may start trying to get through it twice as Tanner suggests (though at this point I'm still a just an out of breath lump on the floor at the end of the first rotation...).

But what I think it's really good at is hitting the big muscles. Chest and legs get hit pretty well, and that's important. I'd like to modify to add in curls at the end along with a back exercise and a shoulder exercise, all with dumbells. I think then I'd really hit just about everything I give a crap about, all in under 9 minutes...

Kee -- there's an app I downloaded called "Seconds Pro," which is just an interval timer app. I set it up to comport with Tanner's program above, gave each interval the name of the exercise, and built in the stated rest period in between exercises. Works great, and speaks the countdown at the end of each exercise and the name of the next exercise, so you can even hear it while you have your music app rolling. I recommend if you're going to go this route.

I've just been doing the 7 minute exercise once through so far. It's freaking hard for a fat out of shape middle aged dude IMO. Finally have it down, so I may start trying to get through it twice as Tanner suggests (though at this point I'm still a just an out of breath lump on the floor at the end of the first rotation...).

But what I think it's really good at is hitting the big muscles. Chest and legs get hit pretty well, and that's important. I'd like to modify to add in curls at the end along with a back exercise and a shoulder exercise, all with dumbells. I think then I'd really hit just about everything I give a crap about, all in under 9 minutes...
:thanks:

Bump for a pre-holiday weigh-in.
:bag: Let's just go clean slate and do this again in January....
Bump for post-holiday weigh-in.
Good idea. I've got tree be back around my high of 240 right now, but will confirm. Ate like total garbage for about a month, and was sick the past two weeks so stopped working out. This chest thing I've got us starting to subside, and last night I cleared the kitchen of all the holiday garbage food. So off we go again...

Good idea. I've got tree be back around my high of 240 right now, but will confirm. Ate like total garbage for about a month, and was sick the past two weeks so stopped working out. This chest thing I've got us starting to subside, and last night I cleared the kitchen of all the holiday garbage food. So off we go again...
good to hear you have made some progress, even if you fell off the wagon over the holidays - I did too. Are you done with silly diets like all-juice?

good to hear you have made some progress, even if you fell off the wagon over the holidays - I did too. Are you done with silly diets like all-juice?
:hifive:

No more silly diets. Just planning to eat right and smaller quantities, and get in a short but rigorous 20 min workout at 6am every day. If I can do these things I'll be golden. With the cupboards cleared of junk food, that's a big step in the right direction.*

*PS... having a pregnant wife makes this really tough too. I gained a bunch when she was pregnant with our first kid as well. We tend to sit around more, she buys more junk food than usual, has oddball cravings, is sometimes not feeling up to cooking, etc. and so I just end up sitting around more and eating more crap. Baby should be here in just over a month, and so things may start to get a little back to normal in that sense after that....

No more silly diets. Just planning to eat right and smaller quantities, and get in a short but rigorous 20 min workout at 6am every day. If I can do these things I'll be golden. With the cupboards cleared of junk food, that's a big step in the right direction.*

*PS... having a pregnant wife makes this really tough too. I gained a bunch when she was pregnant with our first kid as well. We tend to sit around more, she buys more junk food than usual, has oddball cravings, is sometimes not feeling up to cooking, etc. and so I just end up sitting around more and eating more crap. Baby should be here in just over a month, and so things may start to get a little back to normal in that sense after that....
If it's possible with your work, making some healthy meals ahead of time and then taking them in for lunch is a great way to cut some calories (vs eating out), while not starving yourself. I typically make some breakfast bagels and some type of chicken dish on the weekend, then I'll take a serving for breakfast and lunch for the week. Add in an apple or energy bar or something and I can typically get home having only eaten 1,200 calories or so. This leaves me plenty of calories left for a healthy dinnner/snack and still hit my goal of 2,000 or so.

Yes having a newborn should definitely help things get back to normal :loco:

I'm in need of some weight loss this new year. Have a 3.5 week old and 21 month old and am in the middle of grad school while working full-time (FT+ really).

Im up to 218.5 as of this morning. During hard-core P90x days I got just below 180 but that is not reasonable nor sustainable. I want to get to 190 when all is said and done and want to try to lose 10 lbs this month. Biggest hurdle is a 4 day trip to Vegas in late January. No real plans for hardcore working out since I have no extra time (classes take up 25 hrs a week on top of my work). Portion control, cutting way back on booze, and trying to sneak in a couple workouts a week is my plan. Godspeed.

I'm in need of some weight loss this new year. Have a 3.5 week old and 21 month old and am in the middle of grad school while working full-time (FT+ really).

Im up to 218.5 as of this morning. During hard-core P90x days I got just below 180 but that is not reasonable nor sustainable. I want to get to 190 when all is said and done and want to try to lose 10 lbs this month. Biggest hurdle is a 4 day trip to Vegas in late January. No real plans for hardcore working out since I have no extra time (classes take up 25 hrs a week on top of my work). Portion control, cutting way back on booze, and trying to sneak in a couple workouts a week is my plan. Godspeed.
Godspeed indeed, friend. :hifive:

Let's get those New Years diets fired up fellas.
:thumbup:

Jumped back on the Paleo diet today. Bacon breakfast, 4x2 In N Out protein burger for lunch. I know this sounds unhealthy, but if done right this diet kills it and you can still eat plenty.

Challenge for me is going to be the evenings. I've developed a nasty habit in the last couple years of booze and eating late night snacks (popcorn, leftovers, cookies, etc.). Gonna have to figure out a way to mentally replace that stuff. Thinking a huge container of cashews should do the trick.

Jumped back on the Paleo diet today. Bacon breakfast, 4x2 In N Out protein burger for lunch. I know this sounds unhealthy, but if done right this diet kills it and you can still eat plenty.

Challenge for me is going to be the evenings. I've developed a nasty habit in the last couple years of booze and eating late night snacks (popcorn, leftovers, cookies, etc.). Gonna have to figure out a way to mentally replace that stuff. Thinking a huge container of cashews should do the trick.
If you're trying to lose weight, a huge container of cashews will not do the trick. How about a huge container of carrots? Or apples?

If you're trying to lose weight, a huge container of cashews will not do the trick. How about a huge container of carrots? Or apples?
Have you ever tried a pale/low carb diet? I've done this diet before and it has always worked. Of course it's not great to eat too many calories, but generally so long as sugar/carbs are cut out the amount you eat doesn't matter.

Have you ever tried a pale/low carb diet? I've done this diet before and it has always worked. Of course it's not great to eat too many calories, but generally so long as sugar/carbs are cut out the amount you eat doesn't matter.
I have never tried paleo, though I know a lot of people have success on it. I'm a real believer in calories out > calories in (regardless of where those calories come from). I'm sure there are some instances where if you intake a certain composition of food, you can eat a few more calories than with other types of diets. That said, if you're like me, cashews are super addictive, and with roughly 175 calories per quarter cup, the calories add up real easily.

I have never tried paleo, though I know a lot of people have success on it. I'm a real believer in calories out > calories in (regardless of where those calories come from). I'm sure there are some instances where if you intake a certain composition of food, you can eat a few more calories than with other types of diets. That said, if you're like me, cashews are super addictive, and with roughly 175 calories per quarter cup, the calories add up real easily.
Physically, the goal right now is to get through the initial couple days of carbohydrate withdrawal and into ketosis. Generally speaking, you do what you gotta do food wise to get there (be that slamming hundreds of calories of an acceptable food - in my case generally cashews, bacon, or In N Out protein burgers - you do it).

Looking forward to the 2014 version of this #### show. Hope Dr J and NCC bring their A-games again.

So is paleo just eating like a caveman, aka meats and nuts only? Sounds delicious but can't be good for the heart or the butthole.

Eating lots of nuts is going to hurt you big time, need up the veggies instead. Too many calories.

Last time I went strict paleo for a month, I ate a ton of nuts (and bacon, eggs, fruit, veggies, meat, etc) and the weight dripped off. There's more to it than calories in = calories out.

Looking forward to the 2014 version of this #### show. Hope Dr J and NCC bring their A-games again.

So is paleo just eating like a caveman, aka meats and nuts only? Sounds delicious but can't be good for the heart or the butthole.
It's fine for the former but can be a little difficult on the latter. Definitely need to find some fiber sources and I think last time I took some supplements.

Sounds like something you should be doing all the time

Paleo means different things to different people, but I think it's hard to call a diet of only meat and nuts "paleo." Our paleolithic ancestors were probably, as a general rule, very heavily into vegetables, including starches, as well as fruits and nuts and legumes when they could get them. Meat too, of course, but certainly not just meat.

How did the Juice diet go?

Users who are viewing this thread