What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Book Bannings (1 Viewer)

dawgtrails

Footballguy
https://www.salon.com/2022/01/26/book-banning-heats-up-in-red-states/

Mississippi

Ridgeland Mayor Gene McGee is withholding $110,000 of funding from the Madison County Library System allegedly on the basis of his personal religious beliefs, with library officials stating that he has demanded that the system initiate a purge of LGBTQ+ books before his office releases the money.

Missouri

The Wentzville School Board voted 4-3 to remove the Nobel laureate’s debut novel (The Bluest Eye) from library shelves, following challenges from parents. The television station Fox 2 reports that the board also voted to ban three memoirs: George M. Johnson’s All Boys Aren’t Blue, Kiese Laymon’s Heavy, and Alison Bechdel’s Fun Home.

Tennessee

The school board in McMinn County, Tennessee, voted 10-0 on Wednesday to bar schools from teaching Maus, a Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History, a graphic novel about the Holocaust written by Art Spiegelman, and ban it from school libraries. Maus won the Pulitzer Prize in 1992, the only graphic novel to earn that honor.  

Dont...You guys don't want to get into a "who bans books more" thing.   Cause it might not end as well as you might think it will.

https://www.newsweek.com/schools-drop-kill-mockingbird-required-reading-list-1672563
Not trying to do the "who bans books more" thing. I think there are very, very few instances where any books should be banned. And to be fair, that link of yours says specifically that the book is not banned, just removed from the required reading list

Not trying to do the "who bans books more" thing. I think there are very, very few instances where any books should be banned. And to be fair, that link of yours says specifically that the book is not banned, just removed from the required reading list
Fair..I just grabbed it quickly.   

Disgraceful, obviously.  

One silver lining is that in the year of our lord 2022, kids who can't find a copy of Maus in their school library can pick one up in 30 seconds off Amazon.  That wasn't the case when these same people were trying to ban Judy Bloom when I was a kid.  But it's still disgraceful.

Books should not be banned but they do need to be curated to the proper audience. Elementary school students should not be reading YA romance novels regardless of whether it's hetero or homo. Elementary school students should also not be reading about deciding to change ones gender. I don't even think high school students should read that stuff but I can understand it being made available to them. 

Books that tell stories that happen to have gay characters in it do not count. 

Not a fan of banning.  But I do think its interesting to ponder, who decides what books make it into a public library...I can see that being political.

https://www.salon.com/2022/01/26/book-banning-heats-up-in-red-states/

Mississippi

Tennessee

The school board in McMinn County, Tennessee, voted 10-0 on Wednesday to bar schools from teaching Maus, a Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History, a graphic novel about the Holocaust written by Art Spiegelman, and ban it from school libraries. Maus won the Pulitzer Prize in 1992, the only graphic novel to earn that honor.  
Is this part of the CRT deal?  Don’t want cats to feel bad about themselves?

Have a comment on the examples I posted?
Meh.  Never going to catch me defending the Bible thumping book banners.  You don’t like it don’t read it. Thanks for the stereotyping though.  
How or where did I stereotype you? I asked for your opinion on the topic being discussed. Thanks for the response though. You should try to lead with that instead of a post about Tipper Gore

Not a fan of banning.  But I do think its interesting to ponder, who decides what books make it into a public library...I can see that being political.
How about all of them? A private library may curate all they want.

Hopefully we can all come together, regardless of which side of the political aisle we’re on, and agree that banning books is stupid and counterproductive. 
There has been some interesting back and forth through various threads on what should and shouldn't be allowed in school libraries.   Even then for me it would have to be a pretty extreme book to personally agree with pulling it off the shelves in school, especially if we are talking HS.  

No surprise that it seems the highest % pulled are LBGTQ related.  

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been some interesting back and forth through various threads on what should and shouldn't be allowed in school libraries.   Even then for me it would have to be a pretty extreme book to personally agree with pulling it off the shelves in school, especially if we are talking HS.  

Now surprise that it seems the highest % pulled are LBGTQ related.  
If we pull the books, they won’t learn how to be gay?  Is that the idea? 

I am commenting on current events. Care to comment or do you need to research some other irrelevant stuff in order to deflect?

Current state of affairs:  A few ultra conservative locations try to pull a few books from their local school libraries.    Liberals across the country try to ban any speech which counters their perceived version of the 'truth'..  

Let's agree both are bad, but instead of only focusing on the spec of sand, can we get a little attention to the large pile of manure?   

Wow.  Those look like exactly the kind of guys who read literature.  I wonder what kinds of grades those two guys got in school.  
Those guys are probably just custodial or maintenance staff following orders to haul off the books.

Wow.  Those look like exactly the kind of guys who read literature.  I wonder what kinds of grades those two guys got in school.  
Is this supposed to be funny? Or elitist?

They look like buddies of mine.  We read books.

I'll go with east coast elitist.

Is this supposed to be funny? Or elitist?

They look like buddies of mine.  We read books.

I'll go with east coast elitist.

The ole holier than thou attitude which is typical of the worst anti-free speech types.  The idea that liberals are now suddenly champions of free speech is really cute.  

If we pull the books, they won’t learn how to be gay?  Is that the idea? 
I can only imagine what goes through people's heads that want these books off the shelves.     I assume a large part is just our general attitude towards anything sexual as a whole in this country, and then by extension the bullseye would be more on things that make people uncomfortable.  

There have been a few times an example has been brought up where something was in a MS or younger that shouldn't be there.   I'm fine with a few examples like that.  What it feels like more is that it's more about the lgbtq thing than it is an equal application to anything sexual (ie my example that I'd guess Stephen King books are probably in similar settings, and contain some messed up stuff).   

It's bizzare to watch, and also if I'd have to guess it's a very similar group of people complaining about conservative views getting snuffed out by Big Tech.  :loco:

dozer said:
Those guys are probably just custodial or maintenance staff following orders to haul off the books.
I know.   I seem to have heard something about this before….just following orders.  Normal folk just grabbing books to burn without a second thought.  Orwellian in its own way.  

supermike80 said:
Dont...You guys don't want to get into a "who bans books more" thing.   Cause it might not end as well as you might think it will.

https://www.newsweek.com/schools-drop-kill-mockingbird-required-reading-list-1672563
“Schools in Burbank will no longer be able to teach a handful of classic novels, including Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird, following concerns raised by parents over racism.

Middle and high school English teachers in the Burbank Unified School District received the news during a virtual meeting on September 9.

Until further notice, teachers in the area will not be able to include on their curriculum Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird, Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men, Theodore Taylor's The Cay and Mildred D. Taylor's Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry.”

they did the kids a favor  taking out Steinbeck

Users who are viewing this thread