What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Branden Oliver (1 Viewer)

There's two major differences with MJD and Oliver. Level of competition and a 4.39 40yd. I'm all for finding diamonds, but those two are not good comparisons IMO. MJD had better lower body strength coming out too. They're both built like fire hydrants, but MJD had big-play ability that Oliver lacks. He should be busting out multiple big runs a game playing at Buffalo.
MJD: 5-6 6/8", 206, 4.39 (2.58 10 split), 36" vertical, 9-08 broad, 7.08 3 cone, 4.41 SS, 18 bench

BO: 5-6 1/2, 208, 4.62 (2.56 10 split), 33.5" vertical, 9-09 broad, 7.04 3 cone, 4.22 SS, 26 bench

He may not have MJD's top end speed, but very much the same physically otherwise.

There's two major differences with MJD and Oliver. Level of competition and a 4.39 40yd. I'm all for finding diamonds, but those two are not good comparisons IMO. MJD had better lower body strength coming out too. They're both built like fire hydrants, but MJD had big-play ability that Oliver lacks. He should be busting out multiple big runs a game playing at Buffalo.
MJD: 5-6 6/8", 206, 4.39 (2.58 10 split), 36" vertical, 9-08 broad, 7.08 3 cone, 4.41 SS, 18 bench

BO: 5-6 1/2, 208, 4.62 (2.56 10 split), 33.5" vertical, 9-09 broad, 7.04 3 cone, 4.22 SS, 26 bench

He may not have MJD's top end speed, but very much the same physically otherwise.
That's a pretty big difference in 40 time though, and you have to factor in that MJD put up those numbers at the combine while Oliver did his at their pro day.

Not sure how I missed this thread the first time through. I'm not an amateur scout kinda guy, but I do follow UB football very closely and have missed only maybe 2-3 games of Bo's college career.

I was quite surprised when he didn't get drafted, and I imagine the "slower" 40 time may have played a part. For my money, he projects as a much better NFL RB than James Starks did. Not that that's saying a ton, as Starks hasn't exactly set the league on fire, but he was much more heavily hyped out of college and I don't know why.

By all accounts, Bo was a tireless worker and a good "locker room guy". He never seemed to be much of a vocal leader in college, but more a quiet hard-working type. He's about as unflashy a player as you'll find. All of his tweets are about the Bible. From what I understand, there are absolutely no character issues whatsoever, which is a good thing for a guy trying to make it in the NFL.

On the field, he's a potential workhorse. He regularly topped 25-30 carries in a game at UB, especially recently with a younger QB at the helm. His frame can certainly withstand an NFL pounding, I have no doubt about that. He doesn't have the breakaway speed, as others have referenced, but he is a lot shiftier than people give him credit for. He's got a good burst and lateral quickness. The 2012 game against UGA that someone posted in here is a good example. He's not Barry Sanders but he can make players miss with a quick juke while running north-south. His hands are okay. He'll never be a great receiving RB in the NFL. His pass-protection always seemed to be solid, which could help him.

Bottom line, I don't know why he was passed-over and undrafted. I honestly don't know. Obviously he's in a tough spot right now and I wouldn't expect much from him in the short-term, but I think he could have some long-term value. If he gets a shot due to some injuries, he's the kinda player who could handle 25 NFL carries in a game and get you a goalline TD or two. He won't lead the NFL in rushing, but I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if he could string together a handful of 1,000+ yard seasons if he lands in the right situation in a few years. Aside from Khalil Mack, Bo is, in my mind, the top pro prospect that UB has produced in the past 15 years. I'm certainly pulling for him.

I was quite surprised when he didn't get drafted, and I imagine the "slower" 40 time may have played a part. For my money, he projects as a much better NFL RB than James Starks did. Not that that's saying a ton, as Starks hasn't exactly set the league on fire, but he was much more heavily hyped out of college and I don't know why.
Saw in a interview that Starks told BO he was going to break his rushing record at UB, which he did.

He's not Barry Sanders but he can make players miss with a quick juke while running north-south.
He said modeled his game after MJD and Sanders, but without Barry's insane moves.

My first time seeing him, and I'm left to wonder why in the hell is he playing ahead of Grice? He doesn't even look serviceable in this game.

Saw in a interview that Starks told BO he was going to break his rushing record at UB, which he did.
Starks was a pure freak athlete who happened to fit best at RB. He played at least 4 different positions during his redshirt freshman year at UB before settling in at RB. When you look at Starks, you don't think RB. But when you look at Bo, he looks like an NFL RB through and through.

My first time seeing him, and I'm left to wonder why in the hell is he playing ahead of Grice? He doesn't even look serviceable in this game.
I just watched this game. Out of all his carries, I think there might have been one play that was blocked well. He could've hit the hole a little faster on that one, but beyond that I'm not sure there's much more he could've done given the "holes" he had to work with. His blockers were getting blown up left and right. I don't think he showed anything at all in this game, but then again it might have taken Tomlinson in his prime to get 3+ YPC on those totes.

He made the 53 man roster!
:towelwave:

Now it's time to march up the depth chart. Mathews and Woodhead probably aren't in danger. I'd like to see him push Donald Brown.

In all likelihood, we're not going to see too much of him. That's how it went for Sproles when he was in SD and he was a much better S/T player than Oliver. Still cool that he made a roster. Not easy to do in the NFL. I think he remains a good stash in dynasty. If the Bolts let Mathews walk in free agency and don't spend a premium pick on a RB next year then they'll have opportunities for carries. That's a lot of ifs, but this is a start.

Didn't see this anywhere, but apparently Grice was waived yesterday:

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2014/9/1/6093193/san-diego-chargers-waive-rb-marion-grice

Pretty clear evidence that the Bolts rate Oliver higher. Speculation that they'll sign a DL and try to put Grice on the PS. May have already happened.
Yes, this is exactly what happened. SD signed Ricardo Mathews and are hoping Grice makes it thru waivers and on to the PS.
He will.

Watching Oliver's preseason games, the thing that impressed me the most was how hard he was to bring down. I think he made the cut over Grice because Oliver was working in kick coverage. Grice didn't seem to factor into special teams at all. Oliver also seemed to get many more targets in passing situations than Grice. Grice had better acceleration through the first level and was much more slippery than Oliver. The times Oliver got into open field he looked faster than I expected.

Watching Oliver's preseason games, the thing that impressed me the most was how hard he was to bring down. I think he made the cut over Grice because Oliver was working in kick coverage. Grice didn't seem to factor into special teams at all. Oliver also seemed to get many more targets in passing situations than Grice. Grice had better acceleration through the first level and was much more slippery than Oliver. The times Oliver got into open field he looked faster than I expected.
Oliver doesn't like to say he's Sproles and that he chose his number because it 'looked good', but what's he is.

Oliver doesn't like to say he's Sproles and that he chose his number because it 'looked good', but what's he is.
If you're implying he plays like Sproles, I disagree based on what I've seen from him so far. He could be good in his own way maybe, but he looks nothing like Sproles on the field except for having the same number.

:tumbleweed:

No discussion despite Matthews out for the next month? Pretty surprised by that.

Should be active on gamedays, may get some action. Donald Brown had a pretty good 2013, but was rather underwhelming the rest of his prior career. What's to say 2013 isn't an outlier? Oliver is still a long shot, but the long shot just got closer...

Brown and Woodhead will probably get most of the work. We might see Oliver for a few carries. Anything more than that would be a surprise. There's a slight chance that he'll become more involved over the next few weeks, but I have zero expectations for redraft. Remember that Mathews will be back in a month or so anyway. For Oliver it's more about making a positive impression in his limited opportunities so that he can make a case for more work when Mathews might be gone next year. Donald Brown is a serviceable player who won't get the QB killed, but that's all he is, so from that perspective he's definitely vulnerable long term.

Fire it back up... I suppose EBF should be :drive:

I call shotgun. :hifive:

Brown looked thoroughly underwhelming (at least on paper) from yesterday, though he did lose a goalline TD to a procedure penalty on the offense, and he clearly has the trust of the team given his whopping 31 carries and 6 targets. Still, he produced a combined 89 yards on 36 touches.

Two problems with that:

1) 2.0 YPC and 5.4 YPR aren't good numbers;

2) No one can handle 36 touches a week without breaking

Woodhead's likely done for the year, meaning Brown has a role etched in stone until he breaks or loses it due to poor performance. Mathews is likely out another few weeks at best.

That leaves Oliver. Giddy up, kid.

My expectations for 2014 are minimal, but Donald Brown sucks and all the other guys are hurt. If the coaches fall out of love with Brown's 3 yards and a cloud of dust act, we could see Oliver get some more chances. They'll certainly ramp up his preparation now that he's jumped from 4th to 2nd on the depth chart in a span of two weeks.

I'd say average hands. He caught a decent number of balls at UB simply because he was on the field on pretty much every down and had a young QB near the end of his college career. He doesn't have hands of stone but I'd be extremely surprised if ended up having substantial receiving numbers.

I dont recall if Marion Grice made it on the SD practice squad or not, but if he did, Im sure he will be activated shortly
He did and he will. Seemed like he had more speed/quicks than Oliver in preseason. I don't know how much either guy will get as they're somewhat unknown in pass protection. The Chargers can live with 2.5 a carry as long as Rivers is functioning. That's why Brown might get most of the reps. Oliver had decent hands in preseason, apart from one drop I saw. I don't recall Grice getting many targets.

ETA: Don't forget, Mathews will likely be back in 4 weeks. For however long that lasts. None of these guys will supplant a healthy Matthews this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
One More Rep said:
I think Oliver is going to get the McKinnon treatment unless Brown goes down
Very possible, but Oliver at least isn't playing a brand new position. I think Oliver has a better chance of winning a big role than McKinnon does.

Chargers signed RB Shaun Draughn, ILB Kevin Reddick and OLB Cordarro Law.
Law was promoted from the practice squad. Waived by the Bears last week, Draughn will slide in as the Chargers' No. 3 running back as they wait for Ryan Mathews (knee) to get healthy. Despite the Chargers' unsettled running back situation, Draughn is well off the radar in 12-14 team leagues.
Pretty underwhelming signing here.

My concern is that Woodhead and Brown just signed multi-year deals - always annoying to pick up a multi-year stash like him, but I suppose waiting on Kniles Davis and Bryce Brown too haven't really hurt me much.

Any word from SD on whether Oliver will assume more of the Woodhead "receiving back" role or used more to just relieve Brown?

Users who are viewing this thread