What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Branden Oliver (1 Viewer)

Any word from SD on whether Oliver will assume more of the Woodhead "receiving back" role or used more to just relieve Brown?
This is Browns job and when Mathews comes back Brown will still have a big role. My gut tells me Mathews will go to more of a Woodhead role. Oliver should work in a little here and there no matter who is the RB though.

Any word from SD on whether Oliver will assume more of the Woodhead "receiving back" role or used more to just relieve Brown?
This is Browns job and when Mathews comes back Brown will still have a big role. My gut tells me Mathews will go to more of a Woodhead role. Oliver should work in a little here and there no matter who is the RB though.
Brown is driving Mathews car around, and when Mathews is back, Brown gets in the backseat.

There is no evidence to this being true

No doubt it is right now, but one thing that stood out to me while rewatching the game is the mention that Brown matched his career high of 18 carries 3 plays into the 3rd quarter, and was very ineffective in the 2nd half.

I think it's fair to say that Brown will assume the Matthews/Woodhead workload for the next couple of weeks with Oliver taking over Brown's old duties as returner + breather back. If Oliver gets any of sliver of Woodhead's snaps in this pie then I would consider that a bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a lot of evidence. Ask Any Charger fan who was praying for a little consistency at RB.

There is a lot of evidence. Ask Any Charger fan who was praying for a little consistency at RB.
When Mathews gets back he'll be the lead back, used in the same way he had been. I think Woodhead's targets will be divided up between Brown, Royal, Green and Oliver. For however many games Mathews lasts of course.

When Mathews gets back he'll be the lead back, used in the same way he had been. I think Woodhead's targets will be divided up between Brown, Royal, Green and Oliver. For however many games Mathews lasts of course.
Used as he's been.....enough said. Mathews is done in SD. Glass is glass and we've seen all we need to see through this crystal.

Used as he's been.....enough said. Mathews is done in SD. Glass is glass and we've seen all we need to see through this crystal.
My point being, there's no way Mathews gets relegated to the "Woodhead role" when he's healthy. If anything I'd expect his utilization to go up due to Woodhead's absence. Mathews is not going to be supplanted by Brown if Mathews can play.

He might not be the long term answer, but if healthy, he gets most if the carries.

The team isn't going to use a lesser talent because they mad that Mathews can't stay healthy. They will ride him till he breaks again.

My point being, there's no way Mathews gets relegated to the "Woodhead role" when he's healthy. If anything I'd expect his utilization to go up due to Woodhead's absence. Mathews is not going to be supplanted by Brown if Mathews can play.
Okay this is true. *Nods* . We will ride him for 3 "periods" until he's unlucky and spiral fractures his auroa. Hopefully his spirit guide can help him find the endzone before his see-through glass finds him. You are right. The question is how long? How long before he breaks in half? How long before he fumbles? On the 1 yard line on either side of the field btw..It is written. He looked so promising but in the end he's shown what he brings to the field.

Punch yourself in the gut, if it's giving you analysis like that.

Okay this is true. *Nods* . We will ride him for 3 "periods" until he's unlucky and spiral fractures his auroa. Hopefully his spirit guide can help him find the endzone before his see-through glass finds him. You are right. The question is how long? How long before he breaks in half? How long before he fumbles? On the 1 yard line on either side of the field btw..It is written. He looked so promising but in the end he's shown what he brings to the field.
:shrug: Next year is next year. I think the real takeaway for me is that this season will probably now have to be all about Rivers again. They're running ball control with the passing game, which means stock up for the receivers and TEs, particularly in PPR leagues. Royal is probably worth rostering moreso than Oliver.

:shrug: Next year is next year. I think the real takeaway for me is that this season will probably now have to be all about Rivers again. They're running ball control with the passing game, which means stock up for the receivers and TEs, particularly in PPR leagues. Royal is probably worth rostering moreso than Oliver.
I agree with what your'e saying.....but psssssssssssst : next year is now. Matthews was soooooooo last czar. New czar in town HAS to see what his fans see. BTW's ..Royal is an enigma burrito w/ special sauce. As Gump would say: "You never know what your'e going to get".

One reason I did grab him over Shoelace is his experience catching the ball out of the backfield. I could see him doing some of that. I know Shoelace worked on that a lot in the offseason, but it would be a new role/skillset for him.

I agree with what your'e saying.....but psssssssssssst : next year is now. Matthews was soooooooo last czar. New czar in town HAS to see what his fans see. BTW's ..Royal is an enigma burrito w/ special sauce. As Gump would say: "You never know what your'e going to get".
This is really more a discussion for the Charger thread. For FF purposes (which is what this thread is about), next year is not now. This year, if Matthews is healthy he's the guy. Oliver may be worth stashing long term, but that's no sure thing. If the team can keep playing as it has so far this year, I don't think Oliver will have a ton of opportunities unless Mathews and Brown are both out.

ETA: Royal isn't an enigma at all - every three to four games he'll put up some numbers. Never expect more than that and you'll have a good read on him.

This is really more a discussion for the Charger thread. For FF purposes (which is what this thread is about), next year is not now. This year, if Matthews is healthy he's the guy. Oliver may be worth stashing long term, but that's no sure thing. If the team can keep playing as it has so far this year, I don't think Oliver will have a ton of opportunities unless Mathews and Brown are both out.

ETA: Royal isn't an enigma at all - every three to four games he'll put up some numbers. Never expect more than that and you'll have a good read on him.
In a deep dynasty league, betting against Brown and Matthew's health is one I'll take.

In a deep dynasty league, betting against Brown and Matthew's health is one I'll take.
Sure, like I said, for the long term Oliver is a hold. Right now I wouldn't expect a ton, he's in the Benny Cunningham, C.J. Anderson, etc. tier. If Brown gets hurt, obviously that changes.

Can we get back OT please? Got excited that this thread was updated but disappointed to see it was all about Matthews and Brown.

Can we get back OT please? Got excited that this thread was updated but disappointed to see it was all about Matthews and Brown.
Not to be a ####, but isn't it directly related to what Oliver might be able to do opportunity wise - especially near term w/ Matthews on the shelf for about another month? Along w/ his propensity to be injured?

I went with Denard Robinson (JAX) as a speculative WW RB in a 14 team league, just b/c his alleged path to more touches looks better, even tho the Jags are a dumpster fire right now. Oliver was my 2nd choice, and I like the kid's future, just not so much right now. Also, he's a smaller guy, so I don't know how effective he'll end up being in pass pro. This will be interesting over the next 2-4 weeks, and if he can get a decent share of the RB pie in SD hopefully he'll make some noise.

Nice info in the thread overall.

Here's another thing to keep in mind with all the Chargers RBs - the offensive line hasn't exactly been lighting it up in the run blocking department. Might make it tough for Oliver to "make some noise" in whatever rushing attempts he gets. In his favor he seems hard to bring down, but he didn't look as good as Grice in terms of getting to and through the hole quickly in preseason.

Sure, like I said, for the long term Oliver is a hold. Right now I wouldn't expect a ton, he's in the Benny Cunningham, C.J. Anderson, etc. tier. If Brown gets hurt, obviously that changes.
Yeah, agreed - I've got Bryce Brown, Kniles Davis (not a secret anymore), CJ Anderson, and Oliver all stashed - one of them will hopefully hit at least.

I can see him with at least a chance at some meaningful work this weekend with Mathews timetable, the fact that Brown had 97 carries last week, and as good of a chance for a blowout type game as SD will have vs Jax at home.

Mathews is a free agent , in which if healthy, they ride him into the ground in his last year.

Former INDy asst GM is in SD now, so he likes Brown....but I am thinking Oliver is going to open some eyes.

Not to be a ####, but isn't it directly related to what Oliver might be able to do opportunity wise - especially near term w/ Matthews on the shelf for about another month? Along w/ his propensity to be injured?

I went with Denard Robinson (JAX) as a speculative WW RB in a 14 team league, just b/c his alleged path to more touches looks better, even tho the Jags are a dumpster fire right now. Oliver was my 2nd choice, and I like the kid's future, just not so much right now. Also, he's a smaller guy, so I don't know how effective he'll end up being in pass pro. This will be interesting over the next 2-4 weeks, and if he can get a decent share of the RB pie in SD hopefully he'll make some noise.

Nice info in the thread overall.
I pondered the same choice. I feel like Shoelace is pretty inexperienced at the RB position. He's listed at 197, but I saw this AM that he bumped up to to 212, BO is 208, but shorter, so more compact....I think Shoelace will get some carries, but he hasn't had the benefit of doing a lot of route running or pass pro - even in college. I think he's still a work in progress as an RB.

Rotoworld:

Chargers RB Branden Oliver "has been told to expect more reps than his six" against the Bills Week 3.

Despite an injury to Danny Woodhead (fibula, IR) on the Chargers' first possession, Oliver was only given six snaps to Donald Brown's 62 against the Bills. The gap between the two should not be as large this week, but Brown is still expected to be the workhorse for San Diego. Oliver is own-able in deeper leagues, but he is nothing but a desperation play against the Jaguars.

Source: Union-Tribune San Diego
Sep 27 - 10:33 AM

Oliver's production in this game will based on two things. Chargers getting an early lead and how well Oliver pass protects/runs in his first few series.

If the Chargers can get an early lead, which should happen, and if Oliver can pass block adequately and not miss assignments and have a few nice runs, he'll probably get anywhere from 12-15 attempts.

A nice day for him would be 13 rushes for 75 yards and TD. Could happen.

Noticed Oliver and Brown both got around the same # of touches... How'd the kid look?
better than brown imho, but i don't see him getting much more opportunity (13 touches today) in the near future. pretty much a even w/ brown touches wise today. and matthews is due back in what, maybe 2-3 weeks?

Noticed Oliver and Brown both got around the same # of touches... How'd the kid look?
better than brown imho, but i don't see him getting much more opportunity (13 touches today) in the near future. pretty much a even w/ brown touches wise today. and matthews is due back in what, maybe 2-3 weeks?
True, but that doesn't mean Oliver might not be a bad play at flex in the next few weeks. 4 catches ain't bad in his first week of real action, and we know how much SD loves throwing to their backs.

True, but that doesn't mean Oliver might not be a bad play at flex in the next few weeks. 4 catches ain't bad in his first week of real action, and we know how much SD loves throwing to their backs.
Well they play NYJ next week so I think both are rather unstartable.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them toy with the idea of using Oliver a lot more next week. I just realized how hideous Donald Brown's stats are... 2.0 ypc. I can't remember the last time a guy had an average like that and a team continued to feed him as a primary back.

chinawildman said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see them toy with the idea of using Oliver a lot more next week. I just realized how hideous Donald Brown's stats are... 2.0 ypc. I can't remember the last time a guy had an average like that and a team continued to feed him as a primary back.
they dont have a choice he isnt playing because hes good, he playing because thats all they have.

McCoy emphasized that "whatever we're doing in the running game isn't working, and we've got to do whatever we can to get it going".

Nothing surprising, but certainly sounded like McCoy is open to any and all options. This isn't a new problem. I think the Bolts will give Oliver a long look at practice this week.

McCoy emphasized that "whatever we're doing in the running game isn't working, and we've got to do whatever we can to get it going".

Nothing surprising, but certainly sounded like McCoy is open to any and all options. This isn't a new problem. I think the Bolts will give Oliver a long look at practice this week.
where's the seagull in your avatar? OB sticker needs a seagull I'd think..but I'm old fashioned that way ..lol

Crappy matchup but at least the bar has been set extremely low. Even a 3.7 YPC or something can be considered a win here.

didn't really show acceleration, top end speed or balance. thought he looked kind of like a faster mini me size mike tolbert. didn't cut so much as curve his runs away from defenders. at the same time, looked like he was slippery and hard to tackle. could be useful this season.

Chargers running back Branden Oliver, an undrafted rookie, earned praise from coach Mike McCoy after totaling 56 yards on 13 touches in the Week 4 win over Jacksonville.

"He's just going to get better with time," McCoy said, per ESPN.com. "And if we get him a few more creases, there's going to be some explosive plays, because he's a strong runner that's always going north and south."

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/update/24731064/mike-mccoy-praises-branden-oliver

Chargers homer here. I see a role for all three running backs when Matthews comes back. Obviously Glass Cannon Matthews will be the running downs guy. Brown takes over some Goal Line work and pass protection downs, and Oliver will be the woodhead-type screen / draw sort of guy. He's small and shifty, but he isn't bringing Woodhead's skills to the table at all. I don't think Oliver will be worth starting in fantasy, and will probably vulture a score every three games or something just to screw you over if you have matthews or brown playing. Next year I expect an entirely new 4th string RB (assuming Woodhead is back with full health).

Edit: At the end of the game when Oliver was getting the bulk of his work, the Jags D was completely gassed. Our O-line was pushing them around like paper dolls and the holes were so big rivers could have walked at a leisurely pace and gotten 3 yard gains. Look at Oliver's first-half runs, and you'll see that when the holes weren't there, he wasn't very good at finding the edge, and he certainly wasn't muscling through linebackers.

Man, this kid looks electric. I'd like to think he's solidified the Woodhead role, even when Matthews comes back.

Users who are viewing this thread