What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Branden Oliver (1 Viewer)

Much deserved hype. Oliver looks good and he can beat you several ways - power to push defender into the endzone, moves to make them miss, good hads. This looks like gold week 6 against OAK.

For those who can't get Oliver but the Matthews owner can't get him either, it might be worth a shot to try and get Matthews on the cheap. If the o-line is actually playing better then Matthews could end up finishing better than he started.

Much deserved hype. Oliver looks good and he can beat you several ways - power to push defender into the endzone, moves to make them miss, good hads. This looks like gold week 6 against OAK.

For those who can't get Oliver but the Matthews owner can't get him either, it might be worth a shot to try and get Matthews on the cheap. If the o-line is actually playing better then Matthews could end up finishing better than he started.
Chargers lost their #2 center late in the game vs NYJ.

DJ Fluker was also sidelined with an injury

Their Oline isnt that good to begin with IMO.

So how much WW $$ would you guys shell out for him in dynasty? I had to drop him for week 4 byes/injuries.

Um....not to rain on this glorious day for a parade, but.....

Wasn't his performance yesterday against a tired Jets team who was down 31-0 at the time? Wouldn't a better indicator of his appeal be the Oliver had 12 carries for 34 yards over the first two games. Heck, he only gained 23 yards on 9 carries against the terrible Jaguars rush defense.

IMO, he wouldn't be someone I'd be burning an early waiver pick on, especially with his role so tenuous with other RBs returning soon from injury.

Wasn't his performance yesterday against a tired Jets team who was down 31-0 at the time? Wouldn't a better indicator of his appeal be the Oliver had 12 carries for 34 yards over the first two games. Heck, he only gained 23 yards on 9 carries against the terrible Jaguars rush defense.

IMO, he wouldn't be someone I'd be burning an early waiver pick on, especially with his role so tenuous with other RBs returning soon from injury.
The game finished 31-0. It obviously was not 31-0 "at the time" that Oliver scored his two touchdowns.

They hype is way out of control, but he's certainly worth an early waiver pick. Do you expect a better option to pop up soon?

He also had 4 catches for 33 yards... in his second professional game ever? Who are these other returning RBs? Matthews? Okay, maybe, but Oliver will flourish as the Woodhead roll. Donald Brown's arrow is facing WAY down. I don't see many other winning options out there on the wire IMO

Wasn't his performance yesterday against a tired Jets team who was down 31-0 at the time?
14-0 in the 2nd quarter

He then went on to have the best fantasy day for a Charger RB since LT in 2007 against a Jets D that coming in to the game allowed the lowest rush yards per game at 63 (Bills are first now at 71)

Glad I bought my umbrella.

There's no one returning soon. At least two weeks with out Ryan and no one knows after that. And knowing Ryan's injury history, would you be surprised if it would take a bit longer.

And another thing that people keep saying that the O-line finally got it together?

Well, could it be that they finally got a runner behind the line that got something done.

Oliver had 3 touches for 8 yards Prior to the 7:28 mark in the second quarter. He then was pulled (presumably - box score hero!) with 8:55 remaining b/c the game was in hand. Even if the defense was getting gassed a bit, this kid put up 20 touches for 174 yards and 2 TDs in what amounts to 2 quarters of football.

I'm buying (in the only league I don't already own him).

Where's that pat-yourself-on-the-back smiley . . . . I know I left him around here somewhere. lol

Don't forget that the Jets were, IIRC, the best rush defense in the league before yesterday.

I had Oliver on my watch list, thanks to the SP, but did not add him as one of my weekly fliers (I have a couple spots with guys who aren't worth anything I can take flyers each week), but I said to myself "nah this isn't the week for him because they play the NYJ who are a black hole for opposing RB's, I'll take another look next week, maybe if he gets into the rotation this week I'll sneak him in next week". Ooops.

And I don't know how tenuous his hold will be. Donald Brown IS NOT GOOD. We already knew that, but we saw more of it when he stood in for Mathews. And Mathews won't be back yet. Plus even when he is back there is room there for two productive RB's

The game finished 31-0. It obviously was not 31-0 "at the time" that Oliver scored his two touchdowns.
Good call red.

IgglesFan doesn't seem to be on top of this situation.

He also had 4 catches for 33 yards... in his second professional game ever? Who are these other returning RBs? Matthews? Okay, maybe, but Oliver will flourish as the Woodhead roll. Donald Brown's arrow is facing WAY down. I don't see many other winning options out there on the wire.
Just because there aren't any glowing waiver wire options today doesn't mean you burn your pick for no reason.

I'm not saying Oliver is a bust...just to temper your expectations a bit after one good afternoon when his team was playing with a big lead, and he was able to run the ball at will. As I mentioned earlier, he was in the same spot against the Jags (edit), and he had a lovely 9 carries for 23 yards.

He'll have his solid days, and he'll definitely have some down days. It'll be a needle in the haystack trying to figure out which is which...just ask all the Forsett/Sproles/Cousins owners. Picking him up and counting on him to be your savior, I think, is a bit of a reach.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not saying Oliver is a bust...just to temper your expectations a bit after one good afternoon when his team was playing with a big lead, and he was able to run the ball at will.
You still have your facts wrong, regarding the chicken and the egg. He was a big reason WHY his team had a big lead.

Don't forget that the Jets were, IIRC, the best rush defense in the league before yesterday.

I had Oliver on my watch list, thanks to the SP, but did not add him as one of my weekly fliers (I have a couple spots with guys who aren't worth anything I can take flyers each week), but I said to myself "nah this isn't the week for him because they play the NYJ who are a black hole for opposing RB's, I'll take another look next week, maybe if he gets into the rotation this week I'll sneak him in next week". Ooops.

And I don't know how tenuous his hold will be. Donald Brown IS NOT GOOD. We already knew that, but we saw more of it when he stood in for Mathews. And Mathews won't be back yet. Plus even when he is back there is room there for two productive RB's

Good call red.

IgglesFan doesn't seem to be on top of this situation.
His 52 yard run came after the game was basically out of reach....21-0 at the time. He then finished that drive with a 9-yard TD catch. But prior to that, he was 13 carries for 50 yards. More in line with his production YTD prior to yesterday.

Don't forget that the Jets were, IIRC, the best rush defense in the league before yesterday.I had Oliver on my watch list, thanks to the SP, but did not add him as one of my weekly fliers (I have a couple spots with guys who aren't worth anything I can take flyers each week), but I said to myself "nah this isn't the week for him because they play the NYJ who are a black hole for opposing RB's, I'll take another look next week, maybe if he gets into the rotation this week I'll sneak him in next week". Ooops.

Good call red.IgglesFan doesn't seem to be on top of this situation.
His 52 yard run came after the game was basically out of reach....21-0 at the time. He then finished that drive with a 9-yard TD catch. But prior to that, he was 13 carries for 50 yards. More in line with his production YTD prior to yesterday.
I actually agree with this and I'm as big a Bo fan as any to this point. I wouldn't fault anyone for taking Andre Williams over him as a waiver claim.

He also had 4 catches for 33 yards... in his second professional game ever? Who are these other returning RBs? Matthews? Okay, maybe, but Oliver will flourish as the Woodhead roll. Donald Brown's arrow is facing WAY down. I don't see many other winning options out there on the wire.
Just because there aren't any glowing waiver wire options today doesn't mean you burn your pick for no reason.

I'm not saying Oliver is a bust...just to temper your expectations a bit after one good afternoon when his team was playing with a big lead, and he was able to run the ball at will. As I mentioned earlier, he was in the same spot against the Chargers, and he had a lovely 9 carries for 23 yards.

He'll have his solid days, and he'll definitely have some down days. It'll be a needle in the haystack trying to figure out which is which...just ask all the Forsett/Sproles/Cousins owners. Picking him up and counting on him to be your savior, I think, is a bit of a reach.
At week 6, if 200 yds and 2 TDs from scrimmage isn't glowing... I dunno what else is. In addition SD is a great situation due to how often RBs are targeted in the pass game. And it's not like he's got all-pros to compete against, the incumbents have been injured + ineffective.

Isn't it interesting how news of Mathews's extended timetable happened to coincide with Oliver's emergence? Expectations should of course be tempered, but unless you get something like a starter out for the season with the backup coming in and ripping 250 yds and 3 tds, what other "glowing" options are we gonna get on the wire at this point?

I think he is just trying to scale back the hype some which is reasonable. It is a great opportunity and what I think really makes him an exciting grab is not only would SD be willing to give him 20 carries, if things go south they'd be willing to give him 7 to 10 receptions.

I'm not saying Oliver is a bust...just to temper your expectations a bit after one good afternoon when his team was playing with a big lead, and he was able to run the ball at will. As I mentioned earlier, he was in the same spot against the Jags (edit), and he had a lovely 9 carries for 23 yards.

That's not an accurate comparison at all. This is Oliver's THIRD NFL game. Cousins showed us last year that he can completely stink. Forsett has never proven anything other than the fact that the remaining Ravens RB stink. Sproles I'm confused on. He's done pretty much what Philly said he was going to do, is nearing the end of his career (he's what, 30?) and has suffered behind a weak o-line.

Oliver put those points on the board for SD. No one is saying you need to grab him off the waiver wire, but to just leave him there when you have the chance to grab him seems foolish.

You keep going back to his production before yesterday. Not only is that an incredibly small sample size, but that's him operating as the secondary back, when he didn't even start the season on the depth chart (he was behind Woodhead, Brown, and Matthews). Even then, he also had production as a receiver which you seem to be ignoring. In that Jags game he had 56 yards on 13 touches. Not incredible, but still 4.3 yards per a touch average.

The hype here might be bordering on overblown, but it's certainly warranted. Kid looks like he can ball, in a high profile offense, with little competition at the moment.

Um OK even if we play that game... Oliver's 13 for 50 (3.8) is still better than Mathews's 3.1 or Brown's 2.1.

I can understand the issue of Mathews being the incumbent starter as a legitimate threat to Oliver's value, but trying to discredit his performance against the Jets just seems like you're reaching for holes that aren't there.

Everyone needs to pump the brakes. As bicycle pointed out a few posts ago, the Charger best in blocking OLman (Fluker) and their 3rd string center were on crutches after the game.

As a Charger fan I'm super excited about having Oliver around for the long run, but the OL is so banged up that a rookie guard will be starting at center this week and if Fluker is out, the running game will be non existent.

The hype is certainly overblown, as he's unlikely to repeat that performance. However, he's in an ideal situation in a prolific offense with a dominant QB, he's now validated his skills, and he has been given a short term opportunity with great long term prospects. In ppr, his floor is Woodhead IMO, but he seems likely to exceed that pretty easily. My main concern is the injuries on the OLine.

Everyone needs to pump the brakes. As bicycle pointed out a few posts ago, the Charger best in blocking OLman (Fluker) and their 3rd string center were on crutches after the game.

As a Charger fan I'm super excited about having Oliver around for the long run, but the OL is so banged up that a rookie guard will be starting at center this week and if Fluker is out, the running game will be non existent.
I agree with you on the offensive line problems, though they did open up space for Oliver yesterday. The Jets look like a team that quit early. Then again the Chargers play the Raiders this week.

Definitely worth a roster spot at this point.

We'll see. I think the ZBS and the Raiders could hide OL issues.

The hype is certainly overblown, as he's unlikely to repeat that performance. However, he's in an ideal situation in a prolific offense with a dominant QB, he's now validated his skills, and he has been given a short term opportunity with great long term prospects. In ppr, his floor is Woodhead IMO, but he seems likely to exceed that pretty easily. My main concern is the injuries on the OLine.
Of course he is unlikely to repeat the best RB performance San Diego has had since Tomlinson retired.

Somebody kept pointing that out...and it is pretty amazing, to say nothing of it coming against one of the best, if not the best, rush defenses in the league

Agreed, which is part of the reason it makes him a great add. RBs that can get you pts regardless of how well their team is running the ball is highly prized in FF these days.

It was pointed out to you that the big lead was partially as a result of Oliver and since when is it easier to run while protecting a lead?

Just because there aren't any glowing waiver wire options today doesn't mean you burn your pick for no reason.I'm not saying Oliver is a bust...just to temper your expectations a bit after one good afternoon when his team was playing with a big lead, and he was able to run the ball at will. As I mentioned earlier, he was in the same spot against the Jags (edit), and he had a lovely 9 carries for 23 yards.

It was pointed out to you that the big lead was partially as a result of Oliver and since when is it easier to run while protecting a lead?
When the defense gives up it's easier to run. Not saying that's the case but its possible.

Mathews owners have to be feeling a little salty but there's no denying we have a changing of the guard here. Mathews has been disappointing(mostly injuries) almost every year and I can't imagine a scenario where they'll be comfortable letting Oliver sit and Matthews play. I see a 60-40 at best split for Mathews dwindling to another team in the future.
I think it is a little quick to announce a changing of the guard. The arrow is undoubtedly pointing up for Oliver, but let's see him have more than a single game of success first.
They drafted him, kept him on the 53 and played him. They also signed Donald Brown. Someone in the FO had to be thinking past Mathews. This is probably the nail in the coffin since it was better than any game Mathews has ever had. You can wait 3 games, I picked him up two weeks ago.

Just because there aren't any glowing waiver wire options today doesn't mean you burn your pick for no reason.I'm not saying Oliver is a bust...just to temper your expectations a bit after one good afternoon when his team was playing with a big lead, and he was able to run the ball at will. As I mentioned earlier, he was in the same spot against the Jags (edit), and he had a lovely 9 carries for 23 yards.

When the defense gives up it's easier to run. Not saying that's the case but its possible.
I'm, unfortunately, a Jets fan so watched the game. Perhaps they gave up late in the game, but the team was still trying hard to stop Oliver on many of his big runs/receptions. Oliver actually didn't play as much in the 4th Q (Shaun Draughn was getting carries) when they truly would have given up.

Mathews owners have to be feeling a little salty but there's no denying we have a changing of the guard here. Mathews has been disappointing(mostly injuries) almost every year and I can't imagine a scenario where they'll be comfortable letting Oliver sit and Matthews play. I see a 60-40 at best split for Mathews dwindling to another team in the future.
I think it is a little quick to announce a changing of the guard. The arrow is undoubtedly pointing up for Oliver, but let's see him have more than a single game of success first.
They drafted him, kept him on the 53 and played him. They also signed Donald Brown. Someone in the FO had to be thinking past Mathews. This is probably the nail in the coffin since it was better than any game Mathews has ever had. You can wait 3 games, I picked him up two weeks ago.
No, they didn't draft him, and they didn't play him until they had multiple injuries at the position. You're reading way too much into this.

No, they didn't draft him, and they didn't play him until they had multiple injuries at the position. You're reading way too much into this.
They kept him over Marion Grice, a guy they did draft. I doubt Oliver factored into their long term plans regarding Mathews (before this past Sunday at least), but the Donald Brown signing probably did.

I don't see them breaking the bank to bring back the oft injured Mathews - but he could come cheaper now after missing yet more time, so it's possible.

If Oliver continues to look good, they may be willing to go into next season with Oliver, Brown and Woodhead in the mix and not really add anyone of significance.

Just curious, but are there any posters in this thread that are actually contemplating picking up Oliver if he's available or basically just Oliver/Mathews/Brown owners exercising their cognitive dissonance?

I'm not saying Oliver is a bust...just to temper your expectations a bit after one good afternoon when his team was playing with a big lead, and he was able to run the ball at will. As I mentioned earlier, he was in the same spot against the Chargers, and he had a lovely 9 carries for 23 yards.

At week 6, if 200 yds and 2 TDs from scrimmage isn't glowing... I dunno what else is. In addition SD is a great situation due to how often RBs are targeted in the pass game. And it's not like he's got all-pros to compete against, the incumbents have been injured + ineffective.

Isn't it interesting how news of Mathews's extended timetable happened to coincide with Oliver's emergence? Expectations should of course be tempered, but unless you get something like a starter out for the season with the backup coming in and ripping 250 yds and 3 tds, what other "glowing" options are we gonna get on the wire at this point?
OH, if its first-come, first-serve, or you have some FA dollars to spend, by all means, take a shot. I was responding to a post about someone spending a high waiver pick on him.

But to answer your question as to what other "glowing" option there might be...it obviously depends on who gets hurt, and where. If McCoy went down, I'd be pining for the 1st spot to take Chris Polk. If Lynch blows a gasket tonight, I'd spend my 1st pick on Turbin. If any QB of a potent offense bit the dust, I'd want first dibs. Ben Watson's stock rose the second that Graham went down. Heck, the only reason Oliver is a topic of conversation today is because Donald Brown (!) got hurt. There are a plethora of potential scenarios where having the #1 waiver pick in hand would be more beneficial than using said pick on an RB that, up until this week, was not even on anyone's radar. As we have seen plenty of times before, the flavor-of-the-week is often just that.

Like I said before, there will be some nice games for Oliver going forward....and some pure busts. I like him in the same vein as Sproles/Forsett/etc. Let's see what the everyone thinks of him when he chalks up another 23-yard afternoon, like he did two weeks ago against the Jags.

Just curious, but are there any posters in this thread that are actually contemplating picking up Oliver if he's available or basically just Oliver/Mathews/Brown owners exercising their cognitive dissonance?
I will try to add him with the roster spot occupied by Tyms from last week in one league. But that only makes the answer "both", for me. ;)

IgglesFan said:
OH, if its first-come, first-serve, or you have some FA dollars to spend, by all means, take a shot. I was responding to a post about someone spending a high waiver pick on him.

But to answer your question as to what other "glowing" option there might be...it obviously depends on who gets hurt, and where. If McCoy went down, I'd be pining for the 1st spot to take Chris Polk. If Lynch blows a gasket tonight, I'd spend my 1st pick on Turbin. If any QB of a potent offense bit the dust, I'd want first dibs. Ben Watson's stock rose the second that Graham went down. Heck, the only reason Oliver is a topic of conversation today is because Donald Brown (!) got hurt. There are a plethora of potential scenarios where having the #1 waiver pick in hand would be more beneficial than using said pick on an RB that, up until this week, was not even on anyone's radar. As we have seen plenty of times before, the flavor-of-the-week is often just that.

Like I said before, there will be some nice games for Oliver going forward....and some pure busts. I like him in the same vein as Sproles/Forsett/etc. Let's see what the everyone thinks of him when he chalks up another 23-yard afternoon, like he did two weeks ago against the Jags.
Actually that was a 4 catch 56 total yd afternoon in his second game active (last week). Your conclusions appear to be drawn assuming Oliver's role will remain capped at being Danny Woodhead 2013 going forward. I believe that his performance has earned him a chance at auditioning for a much more significant role going forward.

If Oliver avg'd 100 yds and 1TD in the next 2 weeks before Mathews returns will your opinion of his prospects remain the same?

Although OAK is coming off a bye and has the tendency to make games vs. SD closer than they should be, you have to like Oliver as a RB2 this week, no?

chinawildman said:
I picked up and started him in one league, despite not having Brown or Mathews. So I'd say...Yes?

IgglesFan said:
chinawildman said:
IgglesFan said:
RenegadeRoy said:
IgglesFan said:

And where is that? Forsett and Bradshaw are averaging about 14 points per game and Sproles is averaging 12. This is good for 8/9/17 ranking in my .5 PPR for RB league. Maybe the hang up is scoring system differences in this arguement because there are just not that many guys left that get 80% of the touches at RB anymore. I would much rather have the Bradshaw than the Richardson or the Forsett to the Taliaferro in this day and age.

IgglesFan said:

Actually that was a 4 catch 56 total yd afternoon in his second game active (last week). Your conclusions appear to be drawn assuming Oliver's role will remain capped at being Danny Woodhead 2013 going forward. I believe that his performance has earned him a chance at auditioning for a much more significant role going forward.

If Oliver avg'd 100 yds and 1TD in the next 2 weeks before Mathews returns will your opinion of his prospects remain the same?
correct on the stats from two weeks ago. And yes, I see him completely as a Woodhead 2.0 once one, or all, of San Diego's RBs are healthy. I don't know what this guys pass protection capabilities are...I don't know if he is he tough RB to pick up a 3rd and 2 with the game on the line. I just don't know. I do know that have invested a ton of time and money into Matthews, and lured Donald Brown for a reason. I find it hard to assume that once they are healthy, Oliver remains a 20-25 touch RB. In fact, I think you are only fooling yourself if you think that will be the case.

He'll have another week or two with the job essentially all to himself....and perhaps generate a solid audition for the leading role for 2015. But to answer your question, yes, my prospects on the guy remain the same, unless he absolutely explodes. If the SD offense averages 140-160 yards rushing and a TD each week, do you really think the Chargers care if that pie is divided three ways? On the contrary, I think they'd prefer it in order to keep everyone fresh.

chinawildman said:
Mathews owner hoping to get Oliver in the only league that he is available in.

Thinking he could carve a decent role and be insurance to my Mathews pickup.

IgglesFan said:
chinawildman said:
IgglesFan said:
RenegadeRoy said:
IgglesFan said:

Polk and Turbin haven't proven anything though, they're just the back-up. In the case of Polk, if Shady can't get it done behind that o-line, can he? Turbin isn't beast mode, he isn't even really beast mode lite. In both of those cases it would be more of a Baltimore situation than what is going down in SD. Oliver has been in the discussion since Woodhead went down, and even more so now since Brown stinks. Yes, it helped that Brown got hurt, but he was already looking better than Brown.

Dr. Octopus said:
humpback said:
Slider said:
socrates said:
Slider said:
They kept him over Marion Grice, a guy they did draft. I doubt Oliver factored into their long term plans regarding Mathews (before this past Sunday at least), but the Donald Brown signing probably did.

I don't see them breaking the bank to bring back the oft injured Mathews - but he could come cheaper now after missing yet more time, so it's possible.

If Oliver continues to look good, they may be willing to go into next season with Oliver, Brown and Woodhead in the mix and not really add anyone of significance.
Just pointing out that he was wrong about drafting him, and Donald Brown has no more guaranteed money after this season. Every team has multiple RBs on their roster, signing Brown doesn't necessarily mean anything as to their intentions with Mathews.

As for your last sentence, sure, that could happen- or it could not. Last game didn't settle anything for the rest of this year, never mind next. He's getting way ahead of himself.

chinawildman said:
Picked him up last week after watching how bad Brown sucked.

IgglesFan said:

correct on the stats from two weeks ago. And yes, I see him completely as a Woodhead 2.0 once one, or all, of San Diego's RBs are healthy. I don't know what this guys pass protection capabilities are...I don't know if he is he tough RB to pick up a 3rd and 2 with the game on the line. I just don't know. I do know that have invested a ton of time and money into Matthews, and lured Donald Brown for a reason. I find it hard to assume that once they are healthy, Oliver remains a 20-25 touch RB. In fact, I think you are only fooling yourself if you think that will be the case.

He'll have another week or two with the job essentially all to himself....and perhaps generate a solid audition for the leading role for 2015. But to answer your question, yes, my prospects on the guy remain the same, unless he absolutely explodes. If the SD offense averages 140-160 yards rushing and a TD each week, do you really think the Chargers care if that pie is divided three ways? On the contrary, I think they'd prefer it in order to keep everyone fresh.
Ok lemme get this straight, so even if Oliver continues to average 100yds and a TD for the next 2 weeks, the Chargers will eventually reduce him to a Woodhead role when all the RBs are healthy?

You're basically saying that they will ignore his 100yd performances, and continue to feed Brown at his 2ypc and Mathews at his 3ypc... The same Donald Brown that was passed over time and time again in Indy, and the same Mathews who can't stay healthy and temporarily lost his starting role to Jackie Battle.

Sorry but if Oliver keeps churning out good performances in the next couple of weeks, he's earned AT MINIMUM 50% of the RB touches going forward.

I'm admittedly reached big time, but I just dropped Jonathan Stewart for Oliver in a shallow dynasty leagues. Other RB's are Spiller, Ellington, Joique, Carlos Hyde and Christine Michael so I needed immediate relief.

Users who are viewing this thread