What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Branden Oliver (1 Viewer)

Woo!!! He looks really goooood to my eyes today.
He really does. For a guy with a 4.6 40 time, he has outstanding acceleration and burst. He weaves around like a little Porsche out there with his low center of gravity and hip flexibility. Very sudden cuts. And then when people come up to hit him, he runs right through contact for extra yardage. The stat line isn't really that amazing today when you look at his YPC, but there were a number of times when he made something out nothing on what looked like busted plays. This guy appears to be the real deal.

Hasn't left a yard on the field in two weeks EBF. I am trying not to get too excited, but the kid runs with a ton of heart.

Very, VERY impressed.

I picked him up 2 weeks ago and after last week i started him but was a little skeptical but after watching him this week he is the real deal. Not sure what happens after Mathews gets back but for now he is a every done Rb in the NFl and a #1 fantasy option.

Guys this was the raiders. Can't lose site of that.

Yes I do have sour grapes because I knew about Oliver before his blow up last week, and of course used my high waiver priority a couple of weeks prior to that on Zo Talliaferro, and obviously lost out. Damn it!

Yes I do have sour grapes because I knew about Oliver before his blow up last week, and of course used my high waiver priority a couple of weeks prior to that on Zo Talliaferro, and obviously lost out. Damn it!
Fantastic point!! He does run hard though and runs with a passion.

Last edited by a moderator:
fruity pebbles said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
worried that with dammit donald back next week the coaches do something stupid and play Donald
worried about mathews, brown not a bit
I would have to think he's earned a Woodhead role plus

He's probably better at the GL than Mathews

The "it was just the Raiders defense doesn't really hold any water" considering he just shredded the #1 run defense the week prior.

Bo is for real. Very impressed with his burst and acceleration. His ability to always keep his legs moving and going forward is an elite trait for a RB. He doesn't leave any yards on the field.

Mathews also runs with power but with more speed and can catch the ball out of the backfield. Goona suck for fantasy owners with them eating into each others touches but a good problem to have for SD.

Mathews also runs with power but with more speed and can catch the ball out of the backfield. Goona suck for fantasy owners with them eating into each others touches but a good problem to have for SD.
Agreed but next year it could be Oliver's job.

BigBlue_RI said:

I would be more willing to discount the opponent if he didn't do it against a good Jets run defense last week.

At least Mathews will be hurt again before that matters.

More speed, sure. But a lot less wiggle. Mathews is a somewhat stiff runner. BO can weave through the tiniest creases.

Even the best RBs only break a 20+ yard run on about 5% of their carries, so top end speed only comes into play maybe once per game on average. Most of the running these guys do is in small windows and I don't think Mathews is any "faster" or more powerful in those situations than BO (and I generally like Mathews).

So where is everyone ranking BO for the rest of this season?

would think top 20 should be doable even with Mathews and top 10 when Mathews is out.

BigBlue_RI said:

he wasnt running through gaping holes are bouncing off weak tackle attempts. he was earning every yard. raiders werent just rolling over and letting him gash. he really made it happen.

i think hes better than mathews and ive always been a big believer in mathews ability. mathes may be better i the open field and when hes got a crease but this guy is better at finding the hole, or making one, or not even needing one.

As fantasy vise, this was the game I have waited the most this season and I'm glad it ended up the way it did :clap:

Bo is real! And I have to quote myself here:

Ryan is into last year of his contract, Donald Brown is not that good, Danny is not a complete RB...

so I would say that this kid is in a good situation in dynasty purposes. I have been trying to find sleeper

RB for the chargers that could eventually rise and my estimation is that I found it.

Totally misused until the 4th Q. That's when he caught his first pass out of the backfield. They were lining up in a power I formation on occasion trying to run this guy up the gut. Thus his sub 4 ypc. Don't think I saw one draw play from him. This guy needs out in space and a spread offense. He fought his ### off for 1-2 yard gains up the middle.

Just to give people a sense of his worth right now - got offered Keenan Allen or Percy for him this morning.

fruity pebbles said:
worried that with dammit donald back next week the coaches do something stupid and play Donald
him too

but coaches do dumb things
Seems pretty obvious they will still use him in the Woodhead role no matter who they have as the lead back. When NFL teams learn to stop giving Brown the ball I think the entire NFL will be better off. Brown could be the worst RB in the NFL currently. I'm not exaggerating he is just really really bad. Coaches do some dumb things but unless McCoy is incompetent I do not see him going to Brown at any point over Oliver giving what we have seen. Oliver is a target of mine across redrafts and dynasties especially. While he may not be high volume when Mathews comes back, neither was Woodhead last year and see how he finished? Oliver is the new Sproles/Woodhead in SD and that is a successful productive position and Oliver may be just as good as both.

fruity pebbles said:
him too

Seems pretty obvious they will still use him in the Woodhead role no matter who they have as the lead back. When NFL teams learn to stop giving Brown the ball I think the entire NFL will be better off. Brown could be the worst RB in the NFL currently. I'm not exaggerating he is just really really bad. Coaches do some dumb things but unless McCoy is incompetent I do not see him going to Brown at any point over Oliver giving what we have seen. Oliver is a target of mine across redrafts and dynasties especially. While he may not be high volume when Mathews comes back, neither was Woodhead last year and see how he finished? Oliver is the new Sproles/Woodhead in SD and that is a successful productive position and Oliver may be just as good as both.
I don't think this is obvious at all.

Just to give people a sense of his worth right now - got offered Keenan Allen or Percy for him this morning.
dyno or re-draft? in redraft I would hold BO
I would hold in both. Mathews is going to be let go next year.
SD could easily draft someone next year, they played ronnie brown some snaps for crying out loud.
He had 2 carries to Oliver's 26... I think he deserved a breather for 2 carries.

SD could easily draft someone next year, they played ronnie brown some snaps for crying out loud.
No team is going to give one RB every single snap or carry.

Or is Dallas planning to supplant Murray next year because they played Randle for some snaps?

You are probably more dialed in to SD than I am so I am going to ask a question about this:

Let's assume Matthews is gone next year. Do you really think they will use a pick on a rb? Reason being, they appear to have some depth needs and they just demonstrated the ability to draft a Rb that did not pan out as well as demonstrated the ability to find a serviceable one they didn't have to put a pick up for.

Think maybe their own success may give them confidence to NOT use a pick?

fruity pebbles said:
him too

Yeah, isn't Matthews contract up after this year? They will play the kid to make sure they can let Ryan walk.

fruity pebbles said:
him too

Yeah, isn't Matthews contract up after this year? They will play the kid to make sure they can let Ryan walk.
I've been saying this for awhile - Mathews is gone. They were fortunate to get Oliver, but they had no intention to re-sign Mathews. That was obvious to me when they signed Donald Brown.

You are probably more dialed in to SD than I am so I am going to ask a question about this:

Let's assume Matthews is gone next year. Do you really think they will use a pick on a rb? Reason being, they appear to have some depth needs and they just demonstrated the ability to draft a Rb that did not pan out as well as demonstrated the ability to find a serviceable one they didn't have to put a pick up for.

Think maybe their own success may give them confidence to NOT use a pick?
I won't be surprised if they pick a RB late, but given their success and the success of other teams at finding free agent RB's I don't expect them to use a high pick on RB.

fruity pebbles said:
him too

I've been saying this for awhile - Mathews is gone. They were fortunate to get Oliver, but they had no intention to re-sign Mathews. That was obvious to me when they signed Donald Brown.
This would be a bigger factor if they were rebuilding.

fruity pebbles said:
him too

They're a playoff caliber team- they will play the guys they feel give them the best chance to win.

Chargers running back Branden Oliver, an undrafted rookie, earned praise from coach Mike McCoy after totaling 56 yards on 13 touches in the Week 4 win over Jacksonville.

"He's just going to get better with time," McCoy said, per ESPN.com. "And if we get him a few more creases, there's going to be some explosive plays, because he's a strong runner that's always going north and south."

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/update/24731064/mike-mccoy-praises-branden-oliver
I wonder if Oliver wasn't about to take the job from Brown after the Jax game anyway, without the injury. 9 carries to Brown's 10. Brown had worn himself out quickly.

The "it was just the Raiders defense doesn't really hold any water" considering he just shredded the #1 run defense the week prior.
Uh, yes it does....Ronnie freakin' Hillman shredded that same #1 defense for 100 yards the next week. Ronnie Hillman. Now think about that for a minute.

Oliver was the play of the week last week against a terrible Raiders defense. Let's see if he keeps it going in coming weeks against Top-15 rush defenses like the Broncos/Ravens/Dolphins/etc before we vote him to his first Pro-Bowl.

Uh, yes it does....Ronnie freakin' Hillman shredded that same #1 defense for 100 yards the next week. Ronnie Hillman. Now think about that for a minute.

Oliver was the play of the week last week against a terrible Raiders defense. Let's see if he keeps it going in coming weeks against Top-15 rush defenses like the Broncos/Ravens/Dolphins/etc before we vote him to his first Pro-Bowl.
Because the Jets played to stop Peyton and dared them to run it. Which they did.

Like it or not, the Jets are a top rush D, and Oliver torched them.

Because the Jets played to stop Peyton and dared them to run it. Which they did.

This is the third straight week that the Jets have looked bad.

Oliver looks good, but the Jets run D from early in the year looks worse now

Raiders are actually average (15th) in terms of YPC allowed and above average (11th) in pass yards allowed... The perception that their defense is bad probably has more to do with the fact that when their offense sputters, their defense is on the field alot and giving up yards. That wasn't the case last Sunday as the Chargers were trailing in the 4th and decided to ride Oliver on 4 consecutive plays en route to the winning TD.

This is the third straight week that the Jets have looked bad.

Oliver looks good, but the Jets run D from early in the year looks worse now
Hard to stack the box when you can't stop the pass. The Jets secondary woes are killing the entire unit.

Jets are still 7th in rushing yards per game allowed and 6th in rushing yards per attempt allowed. They're not as good as they were last year (or early in the season) but they're still a good run defense.

Users who are viewing this thread