What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Branden Oliver (1 Viewer)

11 points... really ain't that bad considering Oliver had a bad game. If this is the worst it gets, I'd take that all day, every week.

I blame the o line about as much as I blame Oliver.. But regardless, it was a bad game. In the end, 13.3 ppr points is perfectly acceptable to me, but it doesn't bode well for his role when Mathews returns. I have to think that after the 23 day layoff, Mathews will be back. I own both, but will likely sit them until I can see how things shake out a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was getting blown up 3 yards behind the line and the donks have really fast linebackers...I still think he's good, but the donks are a tough team

I blame the o line about as much as I blame Oliver.. But regardless, it was a bad game. In the end, 13.3 ppr points is perfectly acceptable to me, but it doesn't bode well for his role when Mathews returns. I have to think that after the 23 day layoff, Mathews will be back. I own both, but will likely sit them until I can see how things shake out a bit.
I'll take it as well - only 3.5 points less than Hillman.

He was getting blown up 3 yards behind the line and the donks have really fast linebackers...I still think he's good, but the donks are a tough team

This game was certainly not Oliver's fault. Broncos D was dominant compared to Chargers O-line and no RB would have gotten much better results.

Still showed some moves when he got the chance to show it and I think he will only get better moving forward.

I could almost guarantee Mathews wouldn't of performed much better against that Def

I could almost guarantee Mathews wouldn't of performed much better against that Def
I agree, but that doesn't really matter. By not putting on a great performance, it doesn't force the team to keep him as a starter. In order to steal this job, he needed to dominate and leave no doubt. He didn't do that.

11 points... really ain't that bad considering Oliver had a bad game. If this is the worst it gets, I'd take that all day, every week.
+1 to this.
Lawl ppr is so bad. Not deserving of 11 pts.
+1 to this.
No less than Juwan being deserving of 12.
Except he you know...actually contributed touch downs. Not a bunch of -1 yd catches.

Can't they get this guy in space? Right up the gut into a sea of orange. Don't think his vision is that great either.
Not sure this week had anything to do with him to be honest? As far as "vision" did he really miss any holes, cutback lanes or failed to see an open space? Seemed to me he was swarmed upon almost every time he took a handoff and even on screen plays they were well covered.

Been following this guy since EBF flagged him back in the pre-season, but waited one week too long to actually go get him in my 2 dynasty/keeper leagues :wall: . Got him in a couple of redrafts but REALLY wish I'd gotten him in one or the other long-term league.

+1 to this.
Lawl ppr is so bad. Not deserving of 11 pts.
+1 to this.
No less than Juwan being deserving of 16.
Two reasons why that score is less heinous:

-He actually put real life points on the board

-Nobody started him, and if they did, they took a big risk

I agree, but that doesn't really matter. By not putting on a great performance, it doesn't force the team to keep him as a starter. In order to steal this job, he needed to dominate and leave no doubt. He didn't do that.
I don't know about this. If he was missing cutback lanes and leaving yards on the field, sure. I didn't see that tho. The Denver D just dominated the LOS. I don't think any RB can put up a great performance when his OL is getting ragdolled like that.

Maybe the tape will tell the coaches something different, but I don't think his final numbers from this game drive his future usage either way.

If you never checked your score and just watched that game last night, you would be shocked that he got more than 5 points. Like a few guys said, given what my eyeball saw, I'll take the 11 and grin like the Cheshire cat.

Yeah, you want another big day but there is something oddly satisfying about seeing one of your guys look so bad and end up with a salvageable day. Kinda makes you think more optimistically.

Thoughts on Oliver this week? Denver doesn't give up many fantasy points to the RB but who else is gonna run it in SD? Plus you figure they'll get some screen plays in to the offense this week.

I say keep him in the lineup.
I'm rolling with him. He can play on all downs so he should be safe to stay in.
Playing him over Vereen. Not really even debating it.
lol...I have them both on my "sell-high" list.

I'd probably roll with Vereen this week, though. Why start an RB who might catch 4 passes, when you can start one that is all but certain to catch four passes, and have an easier time running the ball?

Seems like a no-brainer to go with Vereen.
This lifelong Pats fan knows enough about BB/McD's ways to prefer the RB who is guaranteed 20-25 touches. :)
Oliver won't be getting anywhere near 25 touches tonight unless the Chargers are playing with the lead. I would guess he'll be in the 10-12 carry range, and 3-5 receptions range....at best. And half those carrys will come in the 1st & 2nd drives when the Chargers are still trying to execute their game plan of "control the clock & keep Peyton off the field". Problem is, every team has tried it, and Denver has stuffed the run.

prognosis for Oliver tonight: 9 carries for 34 yards, 5 catches for 41 yards, 0 Tds. Flex play in a PPR at best.
:rolleyes: not too far off...couple extra receptions to bolster his fantasy production, but even I overestimated his ability to produce yards. Would have been a completely disastrous night except for the last play of the game.

two mediocre outings in a row. One blamed on the flow of the game, another blamed on the defense being good...which is exactly what I said of him a couple weeks ago: He'll be a solid play when the opponent stinks, and an average play when the opponent is solid.

The good news is that we can cease all references to this guy being a savior. Pretty clear this will be a RBBC when anyone with a pulse returns.

I think most people, including Oliver owners, knew it would be a timeshare when Mathews returns. I'm not sure that's exactly breaking news.

This is not a dis to Oliver at all but im actually shocked at how many in here think Mathews would be a lesser player. I got Mathews in a redraft at seasons start, and Oliver in a dyno off a WW shark move and each has strengths and weaknesses, one strength that Mathews has I would say over Oliver is running the football... yeah that guy is brittle but he is a damn good runner with an ideal RB build. I just have a hard time seeing Oliver as a full time bell cow back, my eyes see more in line of a Sproles to me which is still very good, just not a 20 carry guy

I think most people, including Oliver owners, knew it would be a timeshare when Mathews returns. I'm not sure that's exactly breaking news.
Go read the thread....I'd say 75% of the pro-Oliver posters thought this guy was going to be a fantasy savior down the stretch, and certainly take the lead role in San Diego. I mean, he has the "It" factor :lol:

The stat sheet looks bad, but if you watched the game, the first half looked like the Broncos had game planned specifically to stop Oliver. Every time he touched the ball, there were two or three Broncos waiting to tackle him. Barry Sanders wouldn't have had any success with those first half plays either.

The stat sheet looks bad, but if you watched the game, the first half looked like the Broncos had game planned specifically to stop Oliver. Every time he touched the ball, there were two or three Broncos waiting to tackle him. Barry Sanders wouldn't have had any success with those first half plays either.
Let's not do something really stupid like compare Brandon Oliver to Barry Sanders.

Let's not do something really stupid like compare Brandon Oliver to Barry Sanders.
I don't think you understand what a comparison is. What I did was not a comparison.

Go read the thread....I'd say 75% of the pro-Oliver posters thought this guy was going to be a fantasy savior down the stretch, and certainly take the lead role in San Diego. I mean, he has the "It" factor :lol:
I think he does. He absolutely passes the eyeball test. The thing is, Mathews is talented too and there's no way the Chargers are going to phase him out when he returns. I think the good news for Oliver owners is he's shown he can handle the Woodhead role when Mathews is healthy. Woodhead was a Top 20 PPR RB last season. I'll be more than happy to get that out of Oliver if he's in a timeshare with Mathews down the stretch.

I've never seen anything like this in 23 years of fantasy. 12 touches for negative points without actually losing points from fumbles? Well, gonna be a miserable week for me. Played him in 4 leagues and against sanders in two. I love this hobby.
I played him in one league. In that league, I played him against Sanders, Demaryus Thomas and Antonio Gates. Doesn't really matter who I started. I'm getting housed. At least you have a chance!

• I think most people, including Oliver owners, knew it would be a timeshare when Mathews returns. I'm not sure that's exactly breaking news.
    I think he does. He absolutely passes the eyeball test. The thing is, Mathews is talented too and there's no way the Chargers are going to phase him out when he returns. I think the good news for Oliver owners is he's shown he can handle the Woodhead role when Mathews is healthy. Woodhead was a Top 20 PPR RB last season. I'll be more than happy to get that out of Oliver if he's in a timeshare with Mathews down the stretch.
    Oliver got more points last night than guys like Charles, Lacy, McCoy, have been getting here and there...And more than Gio or Lynch got last week. Its FF. When did we ever get to the point where a RB has to hit 20 each and every week to avoid being called pedestrian?

Not a great game but I'll take 9.8 points on a "down day." (.5 PPR) I don't really blame him, I thought he looked pretty good -- Broncos front 7 was just swarming and the Chargers offensive line got worked. No push, no lateral quickness, no holes. They were all over every screen. Not much you can do in that situation.

I still like his long term value. Not a big Mathews believer/fan... Even if he stays healthy (enormous "if") I think they split carries pretty evenly, which cuts into Olivers value but he's still going to get touches.

I think the guy is going to be good. Did he get stuffed by Denver? Sure. But a lot of guys get stuffed against Denver. Calling him a savior is a little much but not nearly as ridiculous as writing him off after a single bad game. A bad game against Denver, in Denver on a short week...

Shutout said:
packersfan said:
IgglesFan said:
packersfan said:
Oliver got more points last night than guys like Charles, Lacy, McCoy, have been getting here and there...And more than Gio or Lynch got last week. Its FF. When did we ever get to the point where a RB has to hit 20 each and every week to avoid being called pedestrian?
It's like no one here remembers that SD's O-line, made up of duct tape & 3rd stringers, was facing against Von & Ware. He scraped by just fine considering he had defenders blow past the OL and jump on his face on nearly every handoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hendo said:
This is not a dis to Oliver at all but im actually shocked at how many in here think Mathews would be a lesser player. I got Mathews in a redraft at seasons start, and Oliver in a dyno off a WW shark move and each has strengths and weaknesses, one strength that Mathews has I would say over Oliver is running the football... yeah that guy is brittle but he is a damn good runner with an ideal RB build. I just have a hard time seeing Oliver as a full time bell cow back, my eyes see more in line of a Sproles to me which is still very good, just not a 20 carry guy
I have no comment on Mathews, but I still think it's silly to compare Bo to Sproles. They might try to use him like Sproles, but he's 2 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier. Per Wikipedia, Bo is listed at 5'8", 208. Sproles is 5'6", 190.

In regard to your comment about him not being a 20-carry guy, though....if he's not a 20-carry guy, it's because the Chargers aren't giving him a chance to be. Smaller backs sometimes can't take the pounding, but that's not Bo at all. He was an absolute workhorse in college, and I have no doubts that he can do it in the pros. If he's not on the field because they believe they have better talent than him, that's one thing, but Bo can absolutely withstand 20 carries on a regular basis. These are Bo's college carries per game:

Freshman: 9 - 17 - 18 - 20 - 7 - 6 - 10 - 6 - 6 - 3 (missed 2 games)

Soph: 35 - 15 - 27 - 23 - 18 - 34 - 21 - 28 - 24 - 18 - 29 - 34

Junior: 30 - 25 - 16 - 24 - 32 - 12 - 9 (missed 5 games)

Senior: 26 - 13 - 23 - 25 - 19 - 43 - 31 - 34 - 24 - 26 - 18 - 28 (missed 1 game)

He wasn't a full-time starter his freshman year, but out of 31 games in his final 3 years, he had 22 games of 20+ carries. 8 games of 30+ carries. And a game where he carried the ball 43 (!) times. Make no mistake, MAC defenses aren't NFL defenses. But dude is a tough runner who can handle 20+ carries if he gets the chance....him getting the chance once Mathews returns, that's the problem.

Shutout said:

• packersfan said:
    IgglesFan said:
    packersfan said:
In PPR, Oliver would have been #19 in RB scoring last week with his game. Crazy, but true.

Did any of you haters actually watch the game? San Diego played in shotgun from the first offensive snap they had. Denvers front dominated the line.

Did any of you haters actually watch the game? San Diego played in shotgun from the first offensive snap they had. Denvers front dominated the line.
The Broncos were swarming Oliver on nearly every one of his touches. The few times he had an opening he did well. But Denver was all over him nearly every time he touched the ball.

He scored more points for me this week than he did last week - no complaints here. Just sad he probably only has 1 more game as the true feature back.

The Broncos were swarming Oliver on nearly every one of his touches. The few times he had an opening he did well. But Denver was all over him nearly every time he touched the ball.
It was ugly. I bet he barely slept last night, waking up right as yet another Denver defender was about to crush him, over and over and over again. Ugly.

Looks like Brown will be back this week but Matthews will not be. I have to start Oliver as I have the bye week blues, not expecting huge numbers tho.

Brown is not going to hurt Oliver's numbers much. Brown is simply awful. Matthews return in a couple of weeks will drop Oliver to a flex level player.

Brown is not going to hurt Oliver's numbers much. Brown is simply awful. Matthews return in a couple of weeks will drop Oliver to a flex level player.
Yeah I think what Oliver owners have to hope for coming out of the bye is for him to take on Woodhead's former role. Woodhead was a RB2 in PPR leagues last season. Oliver certainly has shown he can run with power and catch the ball (two things Woodhead also did well) so it's not unrealistic to think he can do similar things and if so he could potentially put up Woodhead-type numbers down the stretch.

Users who are viewing this thread