What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Weeden (1 Viewer)

Looks like I really missed on this guy. Given how bad he played in the preseason and how well McCoy did he shouldn't have been the starter. Give McCoy a chance and see if he's improved.
Won't happen, these guys went all-in on Weeden, if he doesn't pan out they know they're cooked so the job is his until he corrects in time to save their jobs or when they're shown the door. I'd rather Colt not play anyway, if he plays well it'd just be a reason to consider passing on QB at the top of the 2013 draft, which would just be another mistake on a franchise full of them.
If Weeden doesn't improve they will bench him for McCoy. To do it after one game would be silly though.
I don't understand this reasoning - if he's not ready, he's not ready. You know what they say about insanity, right?
This is why you don't bench him after one game. Now, he could turn around and lay another stinker next week, but this proved that he does have the talent to belong here. I think this start earned him most of the season to prove himself one way or the other.

I'm happy he stepped up because there were rumors going around that a 1st half repeat of week 1 and Colt plays in the 2nd. I'm no Weeden fan, but a QB controversy is the last thing this dysfunctional franchise needed.

Bumpy start, but got it corrected in a hurry. Have to give an assist to the Bengals defense though, they're awful. Not taking anything away from Weeden, he made the plays that were there, and there were a lot of them. We'll find out more about him the next 2-3 weeks than this week though.

Brandon Weeden is a legitimate NFL quarterback. I don't know how good he will be but he is no bust, he's for real.
I am not saying you're wrong but having one 300-yard game does not mean he is for real. Lots of crappy QBs have thrown for over 300 yards in a game, even Ryan Leaf.

I'm happy he stepped up because there were rumors going around that a 1st half repeat of week 1 and Colt plays in the 2nd. I'm no Weeden fan, but a QB controversy is the last thing this dysfunctional franchise needed.

Bumpy start, but got it corrected in a hurry. Have to give an assist to the Bengals defense though, they're awful. Not taking anything away from Weeden, he made the plays that were there, and there were a lot of them. We'll find out more about him the next 2-3 weeks than this week though.
I thought this was a good point by Livingston.Weeden did improve as the game progressed.

I had not seen that of him up to this point. His performances to date had a pattern where he would start out and flash something early and then turtle the rest of the game but yesterday it was the opposite. He started out rough and then bore down and improved steadily throughout the game.

My link

A very nice aspect of Weeden's game was its steadily upward arc. He had an awful first series with a throw out of bounds and a sack when tripped. Previously, he had played well (OK, not horribly) with the scripted plays, then nosedived as adjustments were needed.
Mary Kay brought up another fine point of Weeden's game yesterday, he held onto the ball in the midst of some early intese pressure when he had bodies around him and it looked like the ball might come out but.My link

QB Brandon Weeden had an outstanding effort, completing 26 of 37 attempts for 322 yards and two TDs. He was sacked only twice and did a nice job of avoiding pressure. He hung on tight when defensive end Michael Johnson stormed in and tried to rake the ball out.
Best of all and something we are not typically privvy to are these unfiltered insights from fellow rookie, RB Trent Richardson, of how Weeden has the confidence of the team and how Brandon stepped up and is taking control and displaying confidence.My link

CINCINNATI, Ohio -- Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden and running back Trent Richardson went out for sushi Wednesday night to bury their disappointing rookie debuts and pump each other up for a better showing against the Bengals on Sunday.

... "We talked about our goals," said Richardson of his power dinner with Weeden. "[About] how we need to stick together. I let Brandon know 'we're 100 percent behind you.' We're rookies and we're young, but we've got to have a voice on this team too. Just showing leadership by example and making big plays -- that's one thing we tried to do out there today."

... "Brandon was controlling the game, making all the right calls, being the voice in the huddle," said Richardson. "He was acting like a real, true professional, like he had been around for a while."
One thing I noticed was the non-verbals of Weeden in the post game locker room where he genuinely looked beat down. Yes, he noted he improved but skipped past that to basically say that he was hurting along with the team after a loss.Oh and he is taking over the team to try and win games.

My link

... “For the most part it was a lot better than last week, but there is still a sour taste,” Weeden said, disappointed by the loss. “You’ve got to make a play here and there.”

... Judging from what his teammates said, he was a changed man in the huddle.

He was on the edge. Not in a bad way, but talking to us all, ‘C’mon, hold ’em right here. Give me time so I can get it downfield.’ Or, ‘Receivers, make sure you get your depth,’ ” Little said. “Really more authoritative with everybody.

Richardson said Weeden “was making all the right calls, making all the [middle linebacker] points, being a voice in the huddle. Brandon was acting like a real true professional, like he’d been around for a while. I know it’s not his first time being a professional, but like he’d been around the NFL for a long time.”

That’s the plan. The Browns hope that quarterback needle is stuck on 17 for years, even though no one in the front office is ready to voice their visions of greatness.

But it sounded as if Weeden went a long way in the past week to prove to his teammates he’s committed to personal improvement, to them and to winning. Count five-time Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Thomas among his admirers.

“He’s a positive guy. He wants to work at it; he wants to be great,” Thomas said. “He’s not going to let one bad throw affect him the rest of the game or one bad game affect him the rest of the year.”

Thomas was also impressed that Weeden turned a deaf ear to his critics, like when he said Wednesday, “I know I played bad. I don’t need the nation to tell me how bad I played.”

“I think he’s got the right idea,” Thomas said. “I think it’s important for a quarterback to not worry about what people on the outside say because if you do, you lose before you even start the game.”

For so many years with so many previous Browns players that seemed to be the case. So Weeden’s way seems encouraging.

Looking at the Browns fantasy playoff schedule, is it insane that I am thinking of adding BWeeden to my QBBC?
In four games Brandon Weedon has two three-hundred yard passing games.From an earlier post in this thread:
It took Colt McCoy twelve games to surpass 300 passing yards and Colt wasn't able to break the 300 yard berrier until his second season in a game where he threw over 61 passes and Colt has never had another 300 yard passing game. Brady Quinn didn't hit 300 yards till his third season, so he like Colt couldn't accomplish that fete his rookie season let alone his second start, and like McCoy he also has never had another 300 yard passing game. Tim Couch didn't cross the 300 yard berrier till his second season and only surpassed 300 yards two other times in his five years with the Browns.
I think surpassing the 300 yard passing mark is significant for any rookie QB and to do so twice in his first four games is very significant especially when you consider the state of his receiving corps.If Weeden in available in any QBBC league he should be scooped up.

Looking at the Browns fantasy playoff schedule, is it insane that I am thinking of adding BWeeden to my QBBC?
In four games Brandon Weedon has two three-hundred yard passing games.From an earlier post in this thread:
It took Colt McCoy twelve games to surpass 300 passing yards and Colt wasn't able to break the 300 yard berrier until his second season in a game where he threw over 61 passes and Colt has never had another 300 yard passing game. Brady Quinn didn't hit 300 yards till his third season, so he like Colt couldn't accomplish that fete his rookie season let alone his second start, and like McCoy he also has never had another 300 yard passing game. Tim Couch didn't cross the 300 yard berrier till his second season and only surpassed 300 yards two other times in his five years with the Browns.
I think surpassing the 300 yard passing mark is significant for any rookie QB and to do so twice in his first four games is very significant especially when you consider the state of his receiving corps.If Weeden in available in any QBBC league he should be scooped up.
He has 3 TD's to 7 INT's and his two strong yardage games came against teams with little to no pass rush, one of which against a woeful secondary too.I can't get behind a 300/1/2 expectation/hope being a QBBC play.

I don't even know their schedule, but I do know I wouldn't feel comfortable starting him 1)on the road and 2) in the Cleveland winter
13:mad:OAK 14:KC 15:WAS 16:mad:DENMaybe only applies to me but the league in question does not subtract for turnovers...
My league doesn't subtract either, I picked him up two weeks ago for Rivers' bye week, (Indy), and Weeden will be letting it fly plenty the rest of the way with the team being behind most of the time. There is legit fantasy value to be mined here. If his recievers hold onto very catchable balls, he is over 400 yards and a couple TD's.

... There is legit fantasy value to be mined here. If his recievers hold onto very catchable balls, he is over 400 yards and a couple TD's.
I agree.Here's an article going over every single pass Weeden attempted last night with commentary.

My link

Brandon Weeden Report Card, Week 4: Breaking down every pass in the Ravens game

... Even factoring in the loss and the interception, though, Weeden's performance provided plenty of positive signs. His base stat line -- 25-of-52 for 320 yards, one interception, one sack -- is not indicative of how well he played.

... Weeden faced a superb opponent in a hostile environment in prime time and put his team in position to win.

... After a dvr review of every Browns pass play against the Ravens, it is easy to see that this was Weeden's best game to date given the circumstances, which included rain and no Mohamed Massaquoi. Even though Weeden had impressive stats and ratings in Week 2 at Cincinnati, he was better at Baltimore. He certainly was better than in Week 3 against the Buffalo Bills in Cleveland.

If Weeden had played against Buffalo the way he played Thursday night, the Browns likely would have won. But he didn't, and they didn't.

Some nuggets from the Baltimore game:

1. Browns receivers let down their quarterback. What appeared to be problematic in real time was that much worse in review -- by far the most glaring in the four games. Of the 27 incompletions, 10 hit receivers' hands/gloves before hitting the ground. All 10 were not pinpoint-accurate throws -- most were high -- and the ball was wet, but upper-tier receivers would be disappointed not to catch them. The most painful for the Browns and their fans was Greg Little's failure to secure a high ball from 34 yards as he fell into the end zone in the fourth quarter. The Browns settled for a field goal to pull within 23-16.

Stat: The 10 incompletions that hit receivers' hands/gloves totaled 148 yards in the air. If the receivers made just half of those plays for half of the yards, and not adding any yards after catch, Weeden would have been 30-of-52 for 394 yards and one touchdown and one pick.

2. Weeden protected the football. On the majority of Cleveland's pass plays, the Ravens brought moderate to heavy pressure using anywhere from three to seven rushers. Weeden was hit before, during and after throws. But, save for a few minutes in the first quarter, he exhibited a veteran's calm. Several times Weeden stepped up to find a throwing lane and threw strikes downfield. If a quarterback not blessed with speed and quickness is going to succeed in the NFL, he needs to make the pocket his friend. Weeden did so, as much as that is possible.

Stat: Weeden was sacked once, for minus-6 yards, in 53 drop-backs.

3. Weeden did not force the issue. As bad as the interception was, it was not a force. Weeden makes that pass in his sleep; he simply did not execute. Throughout the game, the Ravens attempted to bait him into some throws and panic him into others using a variety of amoeba blitzes and coverage schemes. He did not give them the satisfaction.

Stat: Weeden threw one interception, which did not result from Baltimore's pass rush, in 52 attempts.

4. Weeden responded to adversity. He did not let the pick-6 unnerve him.

Stat: In his first four passes after the interception, Weeden went 4-of-4 for 49 yards.

5. Weeden made high-caliber throws. On a scale of 1 (lousy) to 3 (expected from NFL quarterback) to 5 (superb), he averaged 3.14 on 44 graded passes. (Spikes, throwaways and passes altered by hits are not graded). He was at 2.8 against the Bills, who are not nearly as daunting as the Ravens and were playing in Cleveland in largely favorable weather.

Stat: Weeden had 20 passes graded 4 or 5.

6. Weeden finally connected on a legitimate long ball. Through three games, he and his big arm had completed one pass that traveled 21 or more yards in the air -- a 22-yard touchdown to Travis Benjamin against Buffalo. In the second quarter at Baltimore, Weeden threw on target while under pressure and connected with Greg Little deep down the left side. Credit the embattled Little with an excellent play, as well.

Stat: On second-and-10, Weeden connected with Little on a 43-yard pass to the Baltimore 39.

7. Weeden recognized mismatches, which he had not been doing in the previous three weeks. One in particular stands out. It came against the Browns' nemesis, Ravens safety Ed Reed, in the third quarter. Weeden saw that Reed was in man-coverage against tight end Jordan Cameron, and made sure to get him the ball.

Stat: On second-and-10, Cameron overpowered Reed and came open for a 15-yard completion on second-and-10.
Basically he is producing while he is improving, something you hope from any rookie but its especially encouraging when it comes from a rookie NFL QB.Add in the short week, road game, national TV audience, the rain, the absence of his top WR, the poor showing from his other WRs, I'd say Brandon Weeden did an admirable job in his fourth NFL start.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Rookie is looking good so-far in New York.

6/8 for 118 yards, 1 TD, no interceptions, QB Passer rating of 156.3 after the first quarter.

Anyone else rolling with Weeden this week vs Cincy? Pretty sure I'm going with him over Palmer with Cam on bye. Had a decent outing at Cincy a few weeks ago.

Weeden has been tearing it up the since his week one debacle. In the league I own him in he's basically dead even in PPG with Luck the last 6 weeks. Looks like he may be a quality starter now.

Weeden has been tearing it up the since his week one debacle. In the league I own him in he's basically dead even in PPG with Luck the last 6 weeks. Looks like he may be a quality starter now.
To be fair he has abused some pretty awful pass defenses in that time, see how he does this week against a stronger Chargers defense and from the sounds of it without Richardson.

Rookie QBs - Weeks 2 through 7Weeden - 142/237, 1665 yds, 9 td, 6 int (7-24-0 rushing)Luck - 111/205, 1365 yds, 6 td, 4 int (18-106-3 rushing)Griffin - 114/163, 1281 yds, 5 td, 3 int (53-444-6 rushing)Tannehill - 98/162, 1235 yds, 4 td, 3 int (16-12-1 rushing)

To be fair he has abused some pretty awful pass defenses in that time, see how he does this week against a stronger Chargers defense and from the sounds of it without Richardson.
I like his matchup vs the SD D. I'm not sure they are much better than what he's been facing. Not having Richardson could be a stinger. Then again, it could mean more passing opportunities.

I like his matchup vs the SD D. I'm not sure they are much better than what he's been facing. Not having Richardson could be a stinger. Then again, it could mean more passing opportunities.
I cringe at the thought of throwing even more, throwing too much with Richardson on the field so it logically makes sense but I struggle to see how it will be a good thing for the offense. I won't pretend to be an ace whenit comes to the Chargers defense, but from what I've seen they have some strong corners, decent pass rushers, and good coverage LB's. Bigby is a liability in coverage, but is anyone else?

The team has grown by leaps and bounds from the first game when the Browns were starting three rookies on offense, QB Brandon Weeden, ORT Mitchell Schwartz, and RB Trent Richardson who hadn't played in a month and was still recovering from knee surgery. They also were starting three second-year guys, OG Jason Pinkston, WR Greg Little, and FB Owen Marecic, six guys, over half of the starting offense and the team was giving rookie WR Travis Benjamin and second year TE Jordan Cameron playing time but rookie WR Josh Gordon barely saw the field the first couple of games.

As pointed out, Weeden had a rotten first game but has gotten better and better as he and the team has gained experience.

My link

Bob Frantz: Bradon Weeden's development is rare highlight in dismal Browns season

Published: Wednesday, October 24, 2012

... As it stands, Weeden has a 72.3 passer rating that is identical to that of top overall pick Andrew Luck, who is seen as a future All-Pro by virtually all observers. Weeden has three more interceptions than Luck, but he also has two more touchdown passes, and both of those numbers are skewed by dropped passes turned into interceptions by Browns receivers, and of course, Gordon's dropped TD throw on Sunday.

Weeden's growth as a passer can't be measured by statistics alone, however, especially when those stats don't take into account other facets of the Browns' offense. The lack of a consistent running game, something that also made life difficult for McCoy a year ago, has forced Weeden to throw far more than his coaches would like. Through Sunday, Weeden had put it up 272 times in seven games, a total surpassed only by Tom Brady and Drew Brees.
Weeden, despite his age, is a rookie and he's surrounded by young and/or inexperienced players so what he's been asked to do and what he's accomplished so-far is impressive for a rookie QB.My link

... Left tackle Joe Thomas and tight end Benjamin Watson, with 87 and 80 games, respectively, carry the most starting experience on the Browns offense. Center Alex Mack has 55 starts. The other eight starters from last week’s game have a combined 69.

All told, the Browns’ starting offense has played 371 NFL games with 291 starts. The first-team Chargers defense has 1,070 games with 839 starts.

Sixteen of the Browns' 53 players are rookies.

... “I think it’s challenging … just from, not maturity, but an experience factor,” Weeden said in a media conference call Wednesday. "We've got guys that are playing really well that are still young that have a long way to go in their building process. We’re all in it together.

"We’re all learning. We’re all making the same mistakes essentially for the first time. So, it’s good to be in the same boat, I guess — we’re able to communicate within. And I think it just kind of shows the promise of what kind of team we could have down the road, with all of the talent we do have with first- or second-year guys."
In what was probably the final press conference that we'll hear from lame-duck president Mike Holmgren, he gave an synapsis of the QB position from when he took over to yesterday.My link

... when I first got here, I was fairly certain of the quarterbacks here. I wasn't the lone ranger, but the quarterbacks who were here probably couldn't get it done for you. That's what the feeling was. Then we were without a quarterback. We had no quarterback.

... (On if he's leaving the team with the quarterback of the future with Weeden)– "I think so Mary (Kay Cabot), I really do. I think Brandon's off to a good start in my opinion. He's an excellent passer. I like how he leads. People don't cut him quite as much slack because he's 29, but he's still a rookie. This is his first crack at playing against NFL teams and it's different than college. I think he has done very well and I just think there's a bright future. I think we've, the organization has found their quarterback."

I am stronly considering starting Weeden over Stafford this week but just can't seem to pull the trigger. Anyone else looking to start him? Over who?

I am stronly considering starting Weeden over Stafford this week but just can't seem to pull the trigger. Anyone else looking to start him? Over who?
I've been struggling with this for weeks now. In a start 2QB league I have him behind Ben, Rivers and Schaub. Haven't been able to pull the trigger and put him in the starting lineup yet but it gets tougher each week.

Mike Holmgren isn't the only one who says that Cleveland has found its franchise QB.

ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer thinks the Browns have found their guy and he makes a convincing case for Brandon Weeden.

My link

Brandon Weeden is Cleveland Browns' franchise QB: That's Trent Dilfer's take

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Former Browns quarterback Trent Dilfer, now an analyst for ESPN, is confident that new Browns owner Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner have their franchise quarterback in rookie Brandon Weeden.

"From a talent, leadership, and intangibles standpoint, yes, they have the guy that deserves at least two years under their full leadership to build around," said Dilfer, who worked with Weeden at an ESPN Elite 11 quarterback camp two summers ago and has studied all of his games this year. "Given the right situation, Brandon Weeden could put the Browns back on the map."

Dilfer believes Weeden is better than the quarterback prospects coming out this year, including West Virginia's Geno Smith and USC's Matt Barkley

"They're not going to be able to draft a guy who's more talented, because this year's draft has nobody close to as talented as Brandon," he said. "Right now, all the talk is all about Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Ryan Tannehill, but I have no doubt Brandon is as talented as that group and should be in that conversation if he gets the same support."

Dilfer watched the film of Weeden vs. Luck in Indianapolis last week, a 17-13 Browns loss after the big Josh Gordon drop, and thinks Weeden stacks right up with the No. 1 overall pick as a passer.

"From a passing standpoint, Brandon is as pure as they come," said Dilfer, who has a Pro Bowl and Super Bowl ring to his credit. "He's found his stroke, his passing comfort zone. There's more than just being pure, but that's one of the bigger components. He can challenge the field with his arm as well as anybody."

Dilfer stressed that Weeden doesn't have the same supporting cast as RG3. In fact, the Browns lead the NFL with 25 dropped passes, according to profootballfocus.com

"I think they're the worst receivers I've seen in a long time -- to this point," said Dilfer. "It doesn't mean they can't improve. It doesn't mean they don't have talent. But from a production and a performance standpoint, they're killing him. And it's not just dropping balls. It's not releasing the right way, not seeing the coverage the right way, not hitting their depth properly. As a quarterback you start to get gunshy because you can't trust your guys."

Dilfer attributed some of Weeden's 10 interceptions -- tied for most in the league with Cincinnati's Andy Dalton -- to the young receivers adjusting to the game.

"A high volume of interceptions typically comes when the receivers aren't trustworthy," said Dilfer. "You can throw the ball to good receivers before they're open and trust that they're going to be where they're supposed to be, or body up and protect you on a bad play."

Dilfer's been impressed with Weeden's ability to stand in the pocket, deliver the ball and absorb a hit.

"Amazing," he said. "Two summers ago when we worked with him at the Elite 11, he was awful in the pocket. His footwork was terrible. He was a typical spread guy that didn't understand pocket mechanics and he worked really hard on it that summer. He took it back to Oklahoma State last season and made significant improvement. He's made great strides in the pros and he'll continue to improve."

Dilfer said one of Weeden's No. 1 attributes is his ability to self-correct.

"Spending a week with him at the Elite 11, training him and getting in his mind a little bit, he kind of taught himself at Oklahoma State," he said. "But once my coaching staff and I got my hands on him, we showed him how to correct himself from a technical standpoint. We gave him the tools to say "OK, when something goes bad, this is what you need to look for." It was amazing. Of the 14 college kids we've worked with the last two years that have been drafted, he was the best at self-correction."

Dilfer said he's seen this play out on the field this season.

"That first game, either his mind was going too fast or he was trying too hard," said Dilfer. "He just wasn't himself. The second game, he comes out and corrects the throws from the first week. The third week he threw a couple of picks and the fourth week he gets the same looks and doesn't force the ball. The fifth week he hit all of the checkdowns. He continues to self-evaluate."

Dilfer said Weeden has also started to put more air under deep balls and is completing them.

"The first two weeks, they were too flat," Dilfer said. "There's so many little nuances I've seen him correct." ...
Dilfer isn't the only one taking notice of Weeden, Browns OC Brad Childress chimes in.Browns Offensive Coordinator Brad Childress 10-25-12

(On Brandon Weeden's progression)– "It has just been slow and steady, that's kind of how I see it. I don't know if it's, catastrophic is not the word, but any gigantic leap. I just think it has been slow and steady. All you ever want to know is what standard of performance you're going to get from somebody. I think he's developing a consistency that we expect."

(On if he's seen things from Weeden that he didn't see in the scouting report)– "It was up to conjecture a little bit how he would deal with coming from underneath the center. I think he has done a decent job with that stuff in the pocket. It's very hard to evaluate quarterbacks in general these days, just because the center-quarterback exchange is not something that you get to see and it's a fundamental of the position. You can say, well I think he'll be okay, but I can't tell you how many Senior Bowl's I've gone to where all those shotgun guys come to the Senior Bowl and balls are on the ground and it screws up a drill. That's maybe one of things that we've seen that we didn't really know about."

(On if he can point to anything that has made Weeden more effective throwing the long ball the past several weeks)-"That throw he made to Josh (Gordon) was a great throw because there was somebody coming loose right in his face where it kind of stopped his arm coming through. You always go back to just like you say what drives interceptions, what drives somebody throwing well? Usually its protection and our offensive line had been doing a nice job of protecting him - giving him ample time, knock on wood. I think that he's taken a better look at things and by that I mean progressing through, getting to some numbers two's and some number three's, getting away from who's my first guy. I always ask quarterbacks can you count to four. There's usually about four of those options there and sometimes they get hooked up on one and two, one, one, one, one so I think he's progressing more through his reads."

(On how impressive Weeden's back shoulder throw for the touchdown was)- "It was great. Those two were on the same page because it's probably not going to get in the end zone if he goes in over the top so just taking some sting off the football. He can exhibit that throwing the ball long strength and I think he exhibited some pretty good touch there and you've got to know the capability of your receiver. Not everybody can go back and flip themselves around and back shoulder a ball and it's something those guys work on from time to time and it was a great throw. It was impressive."

Weeden's improvement is being noticed by many including Weeden.

My link

... Weeden lost two fumbles in five quarters of preseason action, but he hasn’t lost any in the regular season, a sign his pocket presence has gotten better. He’s had seven passes batted down near the line of scrimmage, but none came against the Colts. And his coaches insist he’s exhibited more efficiency each week going through reads.

The game’s slowing down a little bit for me, but I’m also understanding what we’re doing offensively, which helps,” said Weeden, the 22nd overall pick in this year’s draft. “That helps you process it, know where to go with the football and you know where your progressions are.”

Good stuff, Bracie. :thumbup:

Looks like Weeden is performing better than even I had hoped. This is bitter sweet as I'm a Weeden owner, obviously as I started the thread, but I'm also a Steeler homer.

The news of Megatron missing Friday practice (knee) has made me a little more likely to give Weeden the nod over Stafford this week; if Stafford isn't doing well with Calvin, he should not have many good options vs. SEA without him.

Fair or not, he's got a year to prove his worth IMO.Thought he was a terrible reach in Round 1
And his year is over. Didn't prove enough.Hello Chip Kelly, goodbye Brandon Weeden. Quite funny prior staff did everything/anything to run out Colt McCoy. Same thing will happen to Weeden this offseason. New staffs don't build around 30 year old unproven 2nd year QB's.Weeden should have been selected no earlier than Round 3. One of the most mind numbing picks in NFL draft history. Never ever will understand the rationale for taking him Round 1

Hm, any new thoughts on Weeden with Chud & Norv together again?

WR/TE shaping up as Gordon, Little, Nelson, Cameron. Mix in Richardson.

Is this worth a bargain basement flyer?

So basically the same group he played with last year only without Ben Watson and with Nelson (who is no lock to be the #3).

So basically the same group he played with last year only without Ben Watson and with Nelson (who is no lock to be the #3).
Cameron's role should be different, plus there's Benjamin, plus Gordon gets in a full off-season, plus Chudzinski & Turner don't inspire any new confidence?

I'll again take a flyer on him. I'm curious to see what impact a healthy Richardson has on this offense, plus a year of experience. I'm sure he will again be dirt cheap. Low risk/mild reward as a situational starter in larger leagues, which I happen to be in most of the time.

Weeden would have to be low coast and their are reasons to think he will improve on last season.

- he was a rookie

In his first game he was lost and threw 4 ints. He improved but leveled off later in the season but he was a rookie NFL QB and rookies tend to make their biggest improvemenst from year-one to year-two.

- he had a rookie RB

Richardson had broken ribs but he labored through that injury and he still played well but he is healthy and should show improvement.

- he had a rookie ORT

Mitchell Schwartz had a solid rookie season. PFF had him as the 5th rated ORT in the league the last month of last season. Mitch started out rough but vastly improved so Weeden comes in with an O-Line stacked on the edges with Joe-T on the blind side and Schwartz on the strong side.

- he had a rookie WR

Josh Gordon was raw and didn't see a start the first month but he flashed and gradually improved his on his routes. He still needs to improve and should benefit greatly from an off-season and a full training camp where he'll get first unit reps instead of coming in late and not getting those key first team reps.

- he had a 2nd yr WR who struggled with drops the first half of last year

Greg Little looked awful and was leading the league in drops at the mid-point of last year but when Gordon came in he seemed to ease into the #2 WR role and his drops went significantly down and he actually looked good down the stretch.

The loss of Watson certainly won't help but I think the Browns will get a TE in the draft. Jordan Cameron was really raw, only a dozen college catches who crossed over from basketball to football so he was learning on the job his rookie season. Last year he flashed but got injured. He'll have a shot but I woudn't wager too much on him but its possible he could turn into a weapon but I'm not counting on it.

Last year's starting ORG was lost due to blog clots in his lungs and he was just given medical clearence to work out with the team so that should help what could turn into one of the stronger lines if Pinkston is healthy. I really lked him in 2011 at the end of his rookie season, he really started to come on. Last year's struggles were linked to the severe injury in his lungs so it is no sure bet how that will turn out but he did get a medical green light.

The Browns signed Nelson from Buffalo and he was a big-tall 6'5 red zone weapon who had five TDs in a limited number of catches so he could play a limited but key role to help in the red zone.

The significance of free agency was devoted to boosting the defense and I think the top pick will be on defense but I think the Browns will try to find a TE and maybe a mid-late WR and possibly add an OG and ofcourse their could be competition at QB but I don't see a high pick used on a quarterback.

The Norv Turner/Rob Chudzinski vertical-stretch offense requires a QB who is big-tall and has a strong arm which fitt Brandon Weeden to a T.

No sure bet that he blows up but the cost would have to be low so I think he's worth a flyer, why not?

Brandon Weeden ahead in Cleveland Browns' QB race
By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Amid protestations to the contrary from head coach Rob Chudzinski, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported a month ago that the Cleveland Browns' alleged quarterback competition was little more than lip service.

After observing minicamp practices this week, ESPNCleveland.com's Tony Grossi has reached the same conclusion.

Jason Campbell has been relegated to second-team reps with Brian Hoyer, while Weeden handles all of the first-team work.

Weeden has looked "exceptional" in the last three practices open to the media, according to Grossi. That's to be expected from a quarterback who can make every throw in the book. The defense is in shells and shorts, after all, with no hitting allowed. That strong arm also gives Weeden a prohibitive edge over Campbell in the Browns' new aggressive passing attack emphasizing play-action and vertical strikes.

Barring a faceplant of epic proportions in training camp and preseason action, Weeden will be under center in Week 1.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

Rotoworld:

The Browns believe fewer three-step drops and sped-up mechanics will reduce Brandon Weeden's number of batted passes this season.
Per Pro Football Focus, Weeden had 21 passes batted down last season, the most in the NFL. The Browns have focused on speeding up Weeden's internal clock this offseason, and are installing more five- and seven-step drops. Standing in at 6-foot-4, there's no reason Weeden should be getting passes batted with such frequency.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Rotoworld:

After studying each of Brandon Weeden's rookie-year throws, ESPN's Ron Jaworski came away "impressed" and believes Weeden "will be a rock-solid NFL starter in Norv Turner's offense."
Weeden's pocket presence was a question mark coming out of Oklahoma State, but Jaws observed on tape that, "For a rookie, Weeden showed uncommon poise and calm in the pocket" with "consistently solid" mechanics. Jaworski was also impressed with Weeden's "ability to sit on his back foot and drive the ball with velocity." Added Jaws, "There's no question in my mind that his throwing skill set and Turner's quarterback-friendly system will mesh effectively." Weeden has deep-sleeper QB2 appeal under QB gurus Turner and Rob Chudzinski.

Norv's offense does suit Weeden IMO. He throws a pretty solid deep ball the little I saw of him and he has an excellent O line which should give him enough time for all the 7 step drops that Norv uses. The biggest concern with Weeden will be the lack of skill players. Josh Gordon should be a solid deep threat for him, but they lack a possession receiver and a pass catching TE (ideally Cameron is up to the task). Both are essential to a Norv Turner offense. TRich should get a healthy dose of passes out of the backfield.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/story/Browns-QB-Preview-Weedens-Time-to-Step-U?blockID=916843&feedID=3689

Browns QB Preview: Weeden’s Time to Step Up

FRED GREETHAM |
Published: Monday, July 01, 2013, 8:02pm

... Quarterbacks – Brandon Weeden, Jason Campbell and Brian Hoyer

Weeden (6-3, 220, 29, 2nd year) The only returning quarterback from last year's roster, Weeden is going to be given every opportunity to succeed in the Chudzinski/Norv Turner offensive system.

Derek Anderson turned in a surprised Pro Bowl season in 2007 when Chudzinski was the Browns offensive coordinator, and Weeden could try to follow that example. Weeden could arguably have a better supporting cast than Anderson did that season with the emergence of the running game led by Trent Richardson and the receiving corps with Greg Little, Josh Gordon, Travis Benjamin, Davone Bess, David Nelson and a strong offensive line. Kellen Winslow had a big year at tight end in 2007 and it’s unclear if the trio of Jordan Cameron, Gary Barnidge and Kellen Davis will be able to produce as much as Winslow did. But all considered, Weeden does have weapons at his disposal.

Weeden started in all 15 games that he played in as a rookie and passed for 3,385 yards on 297-of-517 passes attempted (57.4 pct.) with 14 touchdowns and 17 interceptions. His QB rating was 72.6. His yardage totals were the most by a Browns rookie in the team’s history.
He has been ecstatic about playing in the vertical passing offense that the Browns are using and it appears the coaching staff will play to his strengths employing more use of the shotgun formation.

Chudzinski offered his assessment on Weeden at the conclusion of minicamp: “I think Brandon has done a nice job, to this point. Everything we’ve asked him to do. Certainly, it hasn’t been perfect, but having to adjust to Norv yelling at him and making the adjustments and corrections, you’ve seen progress.”

Lombardi wasn’t high on Weeden while he was an NFL analyst on NFL Network, but it is believed that Chudzinski and Turner saw enough potential in the second-year quarterback to persuade the front office to give him another shot in 2013.

... Summary: The 2013 season is about Weeden.
It is his chance to prove he can be the Browns quarterback for the next few seasons. He will turn 30 in October and is now in a system that appears to play to his strengths. He has weapons behind a strong offensive line with a potentially strong running game. Five times a running back in Turner’s offense has won the NFL rushing title. The receiving corps should be much more productive with the experience of the young receivers and the addition of a couple of veterans.

Chudzinski is very impressed with the group of quarterbacks the Browns have.

“That group, overall, is one of the best groups I’ve been around in terms of chemistry and helping each other out and it’s really good,” Chudzinski said. “There’s a really good vibe in that room.”

Chudzinski has not named Weeden the starting quarterback, rather choosing to make him earn the position. He said ultimately who will be under center when the regular season begins, will be based on production.

“I think all of those guys have progressed,” Chudzinski said. “When we get out there in pads and we see them in situations, we’ll be looking for improvement there. It will be about production.”

If Weeden and the other quarterbacks don’t produce in 2013, there will be a lot of talk about drafting a quarterback high in 2014.

Brandon Weeden: 'Really can't work on' batted passes

By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

When Brandon Weeden joined "NFL AM" on Wednesday, the Cleveland Browns quarterback addressed one of his primary weaknesses from a season ago.

Those dreaded batted passes.

Weeden led the league with 21 batted balls during his rookie campaign, according to ProFootballFocus.com. That would make some sense from the team's previous starter, the diminutive Colt McCoy, but Weeden is 6 feet 4 inches tall, presumably tall enough to peer over surging defensive linemen.

"You really can't work on it," Weeden told NFL Network. "It's something that if you think about it all the time, it will probably create more problems. I think there are a lot of reasons they happen. One being me patting the football, which I've talked about is one thing I've worked on this offseason to get rid of the habit of patting the football before you release it. That just gives those guys an extra half a second to jump up and bat it down.

"It's just a part of taking three-step drops from under center, as well. When you are under center you are not very far from the line of scrimmage and you are trying to throw over guys that are (6-foot-4), (6-foot-5), with long arms. You got to throw it through the windows. Unfortunately, it happened last year. I don't know why, but I'm going to do my part, whatever I got to do to throw around those guys to make it happen."

Respected tape-watchers believe Weeden will get it done in Year 2. NFL.com's Bucky Brooks tagged Weeden as his choice for this season's most improved passer, while ESPN's Ron Jaworski believes the presence of offensive coordinator Norv Turner will morph Weeden into a "rock-solid" starter.

It's been a while since Cleveland's seen one of those.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

Rotoworld:

The Browns have installed more shotgun plays designed to increase Brandon Weeden's comfort level in new OC Norval Turner's offense.
Weeden played in a shotgun offense at Oklahoma State, and Turner wants to "free him up to see the field and throw" after Weeden "struggled with the rigidity" of old coach Pat Shurmur's under-center West Coast scheme. The Browns are not sold on Weeden as a franchise quarterback -- and shouldn't be -- but they are "determined" to find out whether he's a viable short-term solution.

Provided he stays healthy, ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi considers it a "good" likelihood that Brandon Weeden starts all 16 games for the Browns.
The inane chatter that Jason Campbell will push Weeden has officially faded away. Weeden wasn't exactly a superstar as a 29-year-old rookie, but took small steps as the season progressed, suggesting he could be a more polished passer as a sophomore. Weeden will be under-the-gun without Josh Gordon in Weeks 1-2, but could emerge as a solid QB2 in Norval Turner's vertical attack.

Source: Tony Grossi on Twitter

Browns CEO: Brandon Weeden has 'reasonable chance'

By Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

If you want to know the direction the Cleveland Browns are trying to go, a good man to ask is Joe Banner.

Banner is the Browns' CEO, a power player in the organization who sits above general manager Michael Lombardi on the Berea, Ohio, food chain.

Knowing that, it matters very much what Banner thinks of Brandon Weeden, who's entering his second season as Browns quarterback. In a recent sitdown with Terry Pluto of The Plain Dealer, Banner explained how the Browns will evaluate Weeden going forward.

"First of all, the coaches are going to do that and all of us involved in personnel and coaching will have a say in that and opinion on that," Banner said. "But really we have the luxury of having (coach Rob Chudzinski) and (offensive coordinator) Norv (Turner) here in terms of their experience, their knowledge of that position, what they need in that position.

"There can't be two better guys to give a chance for a quarterback to develop under and then evaluate whether that person is going to be able to do what we need."

Banner was asked why the Browns stuck with Weeden, a first-round draft pick made under a prior regime.

"Brandon's got lot of strengths. He fits the scheme we're going to play," Banner said. "Frankly, we rely a lot on Chudz and Norv for their evaluation of what they're looking for, and I believe there's a reasonable chance that this guy has what it takes to do it.

"Giving him the opportunity and I think everybody is excited, people have written and talked about, he's come back here, he's worked hard, he's got a great work ethic about things and he's doing everything he can to be the best he can be."

Weeden is going to get a shot at this, which really is all he could have hoped for considering the circumstances. Had the Browns had better quarterback options in the draft, things could have turned out very differently.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.

Rotoworld:

At his press conference to open Browns camp, coach Rob Chudzinski said Brandon Weeden has "significantly" improved his footwork and is "getting the ball out quicker."
One of new OC Norval Turner's biggest offseason priorities was "speeding up" Weeden, whose rookie-year movement was lethargic to be kind. The Browns want him performing at a faster pace in every way, from his drop to delivery and decision making. We're optimistic Weeden will improve in year two, though not to the extent that Cleveland would bypass big-time QBs in the 2014 draft.

Rotoworld:

Browns GM Mike Lombardi offered mild praise for Brandon Weeden on Wednesday.
Lombardi was a noted Weeden detractor in his previous life as a T.V. talking head. "I think everybody that practices football has really good days and they have some bad days, and I think everything's a learning experience," Lombardi said. (Don't go overboard, Mike). "And I think he clearly has proven in the offseason that he's gotten better at everything they've asked him to do. So every day is about getting better, and I think that's what a lot of players are doing." Weeden is locked in as the Browns' starter.

Source: Akron Beacon-Journal

Eyes on Berea: Early Story Lines

By Will Burge | ESPNCleveland.com

Excerpt:

Brandon Weeden’s best shot at excelling as a starter in the NFL is right now. Norv Turner even laid out the various players who had career years while playing in this system.

“This system is really a quarterback friendly system. I go all the way back to Jim Everett, guys that people forget. We had Gus Frerotte go to the pro bowl in 96’, Trent Green had a break out year in 98’, Brad Johnson took us to a playoff win and threw for 4,000 yards in 99’ and I can go on...”

So far, Weeden has been up and down but skewing more towards the positive. He looks light-years more comfortable than he did in Pat Shurmur’s offense a year ago and is making quicker decisions with the football.

The place where Weeden has struggled is in the red zone. He has rushed some throws under pressure and will need to learn when to make the pass and when to throw out of the back of the end zone. Interceptions in the end zone are a QBs worst nightmare.

After a couple mediocre days to begin camp, however, he has bounced back nicely and looks like he can put up some serious numbers in this offense.

I'm starting to think he's the perfect QB#2 to target late in a 12-14 team league. Turner and Chud make this an appealing situation

Users who are viewing this thread