What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Weeden (1 Viewer)

They will run, regardless. Would even if romo were there. Cards defense is really good though so I expect weeden to go into this game with one particular guy in mind in the passing game. Don't know who they think that should be but guessing Dez since he is the best talent and the corners for the cards can be had.

What kind of numbers do you expect from Weeden, if he does start? Does Dallas go to the ground with him at the helm in hopes of controlling the clock?
They've been going to the ground w/o him. Witten would get a bump up.
not following that logic.
i would expect them to run a lot as they have been doing. When he does throw i think he'd look to witten a lot b/c he's a security blanket. Saw that when Weeden was in last week.
he pretends to be more of a down field thrower, I don't expect it to work vs the Arizona blitz but it is who he is. I expect a lot of panic throws throughout the day and Dez to get like 17 targets.

Tony Romo will not play; Brandon Weeden to get start

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000420803/article/tony-romo-will-not-play-brandon-weeden-to-get-start

Excerpt:

Weeden played well in spot-duty Monday night. The veteran's extensive work with the first-team offense during weekly practices (when Romo rested) and during OTAs should put him in a position to run the offense.

Once again we expect the Cowboys to rely heavily on DeMarco Murray and a demolishing run-blocking offensive line. Murray is averaging 25.75 carries per game through eight weeks. His 1,054 rushing yards leads the NFL by a whopping 288 yards.

Murray will have a tough test against Todd Bowles' No. 3 ranked run defense, which allows just 77.9 yards per game.

Weeden will be expected to manage the game and not turn the ball over. Expect him to utilize Dez Bryant often against the Cardinals' secondary Sunday in a pivotal NFC bout with a bevy of playoff implications.

Cards run D is outstanding. I actually think Weeden is a good play this week. Cards should be able to contain Murray and weeden will be throwing it a lot. He might throw a few picks, but he should roll up the yardage

I like Witten today.
Going to go one two ways on witten I think

-He's going to be left in to block quite a bit

Or

-he's going to get a ton of hot read targets with all the blitzes
True, ARI blitzes more than anyone else in the league. In the same vein, WAS blitzed quite often last week and Witten had his best game of the season. I like Witten a bit more because I have to imagine if he isn't left back to block he'll be a popular target of Weeden's.

T. Williams has been coming through this season, however with Weedon I can't take a chance this guy disappears. #2 WRs have not faired well with Weedon. Aside from Gordon I don't think too many WR1s have either.

T. Williams has been coming through this season, however with Weedon I can't take a chance this guy disappears. #2 WRs have not faired well with Weedon. Aside from Gordon I don't think too many WR1s have either.
i have no choice in one league, but if benched him everywhere else, for some questionable options too. Weeden can't get past his first read and is going to panic with all the blitzes.

Jerry doesn't second guess Brandon Weeden deal

By Conor Orr

Around The NFL Writer

Brandon Weeden's 183-yard, two-interception performance against the Cardinals was unsettling on Sunday, even if the backup was playing against one of the hottest teams in football.

Weeden takes a ton of snaps during the week, which led the Cowboys organization to expect more out of the former first-round pick, who may be under center again next week when the Cowboys travel to London.

Instead, they got a performance that left them longing for Kyle Orton. Jerry Jones just wouldn't admit it.

"I don't second guess that at all because we lost games with those experienced quarterbacks, with the quarterbacks that were more experienced," Jones told reporters. "As a matter of fact we got knocked out of the playoffs with the more experienced quarterback last year, and so I think it's all relevant."

Jones was asked specifically about how he's always surrounded the injury-prone Tony Romo with solid backups like Brad Johnson, Jon Kitna and, most recently, Orton.

At the moment, Weeden, who couldn't get a ball to Dez Bryant until the fourth quarter, doesn't look like he's on the same level.

The latest Around The NFL Podcast recaps every Sunday game from an action-packed Week 9. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL NOW.

Rotoworld:

Cowboys QB coach Wade Wilson said Brandon Weeden has been the team's most improved player this offseason.

"He just has a great understanding of the concepts, of the protections, calling the plays, all those things," said Wilson. "He’s made a big jump this year." The Cowboys showed mild interest in Shaun Hill and Matt Schaub during free agency but ultimately stuck with Weeden. The continuity seems to be paying off for Weeden in his second year under OC Scott Linehan.

Source: ESPN.com
Jun 15 - 2:03 PM

Weeden is a lot less scary, when you don't think you will need him.

When he's your projected starter for 10 weeks, he's downright horrifying.

Blind bid waivers run tonight in my start 2 QB leagues. I'm putting a monster bid (50% or more) to get this guy. I don't even need him as I have 4 starting QBs. He will give me tremendous trade leverage or at the very least I will cockblock someone for sure.

Blind bid waivers run tonight in my start 2 QB leagues. I'm putting a monster bid (50% or more) to get this guy. I don't even need him as I have 4 starting QBs. He will give me tremendous trade leverage or at the very least I will cockblock someone for sure.
Tremendous trade leverage and Brandon Weeden are now associated with each other.

Ok, now I've seen everything.

At least 3 owners in my league have just two viable QB's on their roster of a must start two league. Panic won't set in till the bye weeks start, but it will happen, I can assure you.

Apropos of absolutely nothing Weedenish, but this is the exact reason I won't play in any 2QB league (as opposed to superflex) that lets owners roster more than 3 QBs. There aren't any "role players" at QB to fall back on for the hope of a few points in cases of injuries / bye weeks the way there are at every other skill position.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that "some around the league believe it's only a matter of time" before Matt Cassel supplants Brandon Weeden as the Cowboys' starter.

This isn't a shock at all. The Cowboys have very little confidence in Weeden, no matter that they were saying publicly this past week. The only reason Cassel isn't starting now is because he doesn't know the playbook. Weeden hasn't won a game as a starting quarterback since December 2012. The Cowboys will have to piece this for the next two months while Tony Romo (clavicle) is out.

Related: Brandon Weeden

Rotoworld

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that "some around the league believe it's only a matter of time" before Matt Cassel supplants Brandon Weeden as the Cowboys' starter.

This isn't a shock at all. The Cowboys have very little confidence in Weeden, no matter that they were saying publicly this past week. The only reason Cassel isn't starting now is because he doesn't know the playbook. Weeden hasn't won a game as a starting quarterback since December 2012. The Cowboys will have to piece this for the next two months while Tony Romo (clavicle) is out.

Related: Brandon Weeden

Rotoworld
This really doesn't make any sense. If Dal felt this way then why wait until there was an injury to Romo to pull a trade and put the incomer at such a disadvantage? The fact that they carried only 2 QBs on the active roster, Weeden being the only back up, shows the opposite of what he is saying in this report IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any word if Dallas is planning on starting Cassel or not? Those of us in 2 QB leagues rostering this guy need to know!

Well, if he was a good nfl QB he'D still be starting.....his numbers don't tell the story....I think the NFL game is to fast for him.

when the neighbor kids play yard football and throw a terrible pass everyone laughs and yells "Brandon Weedon!!"

Users who are viewing this thread