What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breakdown of Super Bowl QBs by draft position (1 Viewer)

Autumn Wind

Footballguy
Saw a discussion today on twitter about the possible correlation between QB draft position and Super Bowl wins. So I went ahead and put together a little chart where you can see that data, as well as data for Super Bowl losing QBs. Just thought I'd share in case anyone would find that interesting.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/chris.holmes#!/vizhome/SuperBowlQBs/allyearsmarks

What you can see is that while there are certainly a fair share of Top 10 QBs who have at least made it to the Super Bowl, the average draft position for the entire population is 57th position. Naturally the likes of Tom Brady and Bart Starr skew that average somewhat.

Interesting chart....thank you for compiling that data.

I don't suppose you have the raw data you put it together from in easily transmitted form? I'd love to do some calculations with it.

Nice work. I work with Tableau everyday and try to put together stat graphs all the time. Good tool for already established piles of data.

This is tangential to the OP, but I remember seeing some stat about how very few teams in the salary-cap era had won a SB with a QB who had already gotten a mega-contract. (Brady is kind of the exception that proves the rule, since he has voluntarily taken a below-market rate.)

I have no idea what roster construction was like 50 years ago, but in today's game I could certainly see how having a mammoth QB contract could hamper your ability to put together a strong top-to-bottom roster. A big part of the reason for Seattle's had such a great run over the past couple years is that they've gotten strong contributions from a QB receiving 3rd-round money.

Users who are viewing this thread