What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Bad on AMC (7 Viewers)

I wonder if the good samaritan saw a kid riding a bike.
If he saw a kid riding a bike, he might also have seen a dude on top of the train with a giant hose and another dude under the train with another giant hose and then another dude under the bridge with the ends of the two giant hoses and then another dude standing around with binoculars.
That's a smart ### response, but funny none the less

Interesting points (in a nerdy kinda way) from a poster on Sepinwall's board who is a railroad engineer:

A wonderful episode, of course, but it illustrates the hazard of knowing a thing or two about an industry depicted on the screen. In episode, when the locomotive comes to a stop, both the engineer and the conductor emerge and step to the ground to help the motorist. Thus, they both leave the engine cab unattended. This would almost certainly be prohibited by federal law and/or the railroad's own internal operating rules.Second, the term "dark territory" is an unofficial railroad industry term, but it does not mean that the line of track is a location where the crew cannot communicate with the railroad headquarters. Rather, dark territory is just an area where the track is not signalized, meaning that there are not automatic gates and lights at the crossings and/or other signalization on the track. Even in dark territory, the crew would have access to their radios and could communicate with the train dispatcher who could, from the dispatcher's office, contact the authorities. (Mike suggests that the crew would have cell phones but there was no mention of their radios or communications with dispatch).Further, because the train was making an unscheduled stop due to a potential accident, the crew would have been required to communicate same to the dispatcher. (This would be done for many reasons, not the least of which would be to ensure that another train scheduled to travel on those tracks later could be alerted to the delay to forestall another accident). Additionally, the crew might even be required to complete a near miss report, either in paperwork, or at the very least in a report to the dispatcher.Finally, a minor point, but when Jesse and Walt measure out the distance from the crossing to the bridge, they cannot factor in an unknown, i.e. the stopping distance of the train and when the engineer would apply the brakes. (Presumably, their contact could have provided them the tanker car number and its place in the train consist, but how would they know when the engineer would apply the brakes, what the stopping distance would be, and whether the railcar in question would be over the bridge)? After all, when they took the measurements in the field, they did not know where in the consist the tanker car would be or the length and weight of the train, which would one would need to calculate the stopping distance of the train. It's possible that the train could not have stopped before the crossing and the locomotive would have collided with the truck, which would have brought the authorities almost immediately to the scene.
Seriously???

Interesting points (in a nerdy kinda way) from a poster on Sepinwall's board who is a railroad engineer:

A wonderful episode, of course, but it illustrates the hazard of knowing a thing or two about an industry depicted on the screen. In episode, when the locomotive comes to a stop, both the engineer and the conductor emerge and step to the ground to help the motorist. Thus, they both leave the engine cab unattended. This would almost certainly be prohibited by federal law and/or the railroad's own internal operating rules.Second, the term "dark territory" is an unofficial railroad industry term, but it does not mean that the line of track is a location where the crew cannot communicate with the railroad headquarters. Rather, dark territory is just an area where the track is not signalized, meaning that there are not automatic gates and lights at the crossings and/or other signalization on the track. Even in dark territory, the crew would have access to their radios and could communicate with the train dispatcher who could, from the dispatcher's office, contact the authorities. (Mike suggests that the crew would have cell phones but there was no mention of their radios or communications with dispatch).Further, because the train was making an unscheduled stop due to a potential accident, the crew would have been required to communicate same to the dispatcher. (This would be done for many reasons, not the least of which would be to ensure that another train scheduled to travel on those tracks later could be alerted to the delay to forestall another accident). Additionally, the crew might even be required to complete a near miss report, either in paperwork, or at the very least in a report to the dispatcher.Finally, a minor point, but when Jesse and Walt measure out the distance from the crossing to the bridge, they cannot factor in an unknown, i.e. the stopping distance of the train and when the engineer would apply the brakes. (Presumably, their contact could have provided them the tanker car number and its place in the train consist, but how would they know when the engineer would apply the brakes, what the stopping distance would be, and whether the railcar in question would be over the bridge)? After all, when they took the measurements in the field, they did not know where in the consist the tanker car would be or the length and weight of the train, which would one would need to calculate the stopping distance of the train. It's possible that the train could not have stopped before the crossing and the locomotive would have collided with the truck, which would have brought the authorities almost immediately to the scene.
Seriously???
:lmao: Not much more awkward than somebody trying to geek out and whiffing hard.

Actually, it would seem pretty reasonable that the good samaritan is the kid's dad.

This is, apparently, an incredibly remote location, even for NM standards. 2 people being out there in close proximity would have a higher chance of being connected.

Maybe the kid rode the bike from a small town a long way away, but it would seem more likely that someone would drop him off in a truck.

Or the kid lives close by, in which case, his family is about the only one that lives close by. So the good samaritan has a high chance of being related.

Anyway, if the investigation comes back to Walt/Jesse/Mike, I think the good samaritan already knowing the kid will be a key factor.

It would mean someone very motivated to solve the case is also the best person suited to connect all the dots in the desert that day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, it would seem pretty reasonable that the good samaritan is the kid's dad.

This is, apparently, an incredibly remote location, even for NM standards. 2 people being out there in close proximity would have a higher chance of being connected.

Maybe the kid rode the bike from a small town a long way away, but it would seem more likely that someone would drop him off in a truck.

Or the kid lives close by, in which case, his family is about the only one that lives close by. So the good samaritan has a high chance of being related.

Anyway, if the investigation comes back to Walt/Jesse/Mike, I think the good samaritan already knowing the kid will be a key factor.

It would mean someone very motivated to solve the case is also the best person suited to connect all the dots in the desert that day.
Yep.And there are plenty of areas in the desert where you can't get cell service and it's certainly not inconceivable that kids are riding their bikes in and around them. This is not a culture of paranoid soccer moms.

Actually, it would seem pretty reasonable that the good samaritan is the kid's dad.This is, apparently, an incredibly remote location, even for NM standards. 2 people being out there in close proximity would have a higher chance of being connected.Maybe the kid rode the bike from a small town a long way away, but it would seem more likely that someone would drop him off in a truck.Or the kid lives close by, in which case, his family is about the only one that lives close by. So the good samaritan has a high chance of being related.Anyway, if the investigation comes back to Walt/Jesse/Mike, I think the good samaritan already knowing the kid will be a key factor. It would mean someone very motivated to solve the case is also the best person suited to connect all the dots in the desert that day.
I thought they made it a pretty good point of showing that the good samaratain looked pretty american indian and teh kid on the bike was pasty white :shrug:

Why are you guys so obsessed with applying reality and real-life to a fictional TV show?

Actually, it would seem pretty reasonable that the good samaritan is the kid's dad.This is, apparently, an incredibly remote location, even for NM standards. 2 people being out there in close proximity would have a higher chance of being connected.Maybe the kid rode the bike from a small town a long way away, but it would seem more likely that someone would drop him off in a truck.Or the kid lives close by, in which case, his family is about the only one that lives close by. So the good samaritan has a high chance of being related.Anyway, if the investigation comes back to Walt/Jesse/Mike, I think the good samaritan already knowing the kid will be a key factor. It would mean someone very motivated to solve the case is also the best person suited to connect all the dots in the desert that day.
I thought they made it a pretty good point of showing that the good samaratain looked pretty american indian and teh kid on the bike was pasty white :shrug:
You are right, though they could still be related or at least know each other.The good samaritan giving the truck driver a ride back into town is a small sign they probably aren't related though.If the town is pretty close, the kid could've easily ridden his bike out there and it lessens the likelihood that 2 people in the same area are connected.If the town is really far away, he probably would've mentioned picking up the kid and his bike first.

We are you guys so obsessed with applying reality and real-life to a fictional TV show?
:shrug: Different fictional TV shows set up different worlds. Breaking Bad isn't supposed to be about supernatural events. It loses something to me if it routinely relies on ridiculous schemes and unlikely coincidences to advance the story.

We are you guys so obsessed with applying reality and real-life to a fictional TV show?
:shrug: Different fictional TV shows set up different worlds. Breaking Bad isn't supposed to be about supernatural events. It loses something to me if it routinely relies on ridiculous schemes and unlikely coincidences to advance the story.
Do you have any idea how many things about this show could be picked apart? How are you still watching if this is an issue for you?

You guys seriously think the kid and the dude with the pickup are related and that somehow matters? That's a pretty bad theory. And pointless.
Not really. With the exception of the freak shut-in survivalists, most people in those extremely remote desert areas are at least aware of each other. It's possible that there is only one house within 15 miles of where they are.I went to school in the four corners area and am somewhat acquainted with that high desert, remote thing. There are surprisingly tight communities spread out across great distances. This is something that most people who are somewhat familiar with the area and the culture have come out of this episode thinking. Whether or not it will have any bearing on the story-line, who knows. But it is very likely if that happened in real life that these two people would be aware of each other, if not related.

Do you have any idea how many things about this show could be picked apart? How are you still watching if this is an issue for you?
Because I'm entertained by it. I'm not saying there's no leeway in these sorts of shows for the improbable to occur. But I think most folks would be annoyed if next week it were revealed that Jesse was an alien and the dead kid was a time-traveler from the future and Walt could read people's minds. There are limits to what we're willing to accept from different shows. Not everyone has the same limits.

You guys seriously think the kid and the dude with the pickup are related and that somehow matters? That's a pretty bad theory. And pointless.
Not really. With the exception of the freak shut-in survivalists, most people in those extremely remote desert areas are at least aware of each other. It's possible that there is only one house within 15 miles of where they are.I went to school in the four corners area and am somewhat acquainted with that high desert, remote thing. There are surprisingly tight communities spread out across great distances. This is something that most people who are somewhat familiar with the area and the culture have come out of this episode thinking. Whether or not it will have any bearing on the story-line, who knows. But it is very likely if that happened in real life that these two people would be aware of each other, if not related.
:hifive: Maybe the aren't related, and maybe there won't be much of a BB investigation that matters for the show, but in an area like this, it's much more likely that the good samaritan could help connect the dots in this. Highly unlikely the good samaritan doesn't at least know the kid's family.

Because I'm entertained by it. I'm not saying there's no leeway in these sorts of shows for the improbable to occur. But I think most folks would be annoyed if next week it were revealed that Jesse was an alien and the dead kid was a time-traveler from the future and Walt could read people's minds. There are limits to what we're willing to accept from different shows. Not everyone has the same limits.
Ihave to sya that this episode did tug at the boundaries, established by prevous epiosodes, of which we are required to suspend disbelief.

Maybe it's been discussed, but do you guys think killing the kid was really the smart choice (morality aside, of course)?

I'd never question Mike's logic, but this kid didn't really witness a crime. Technically, it was a crime, but it was a crime that'll never be reported or noticed.

In fact, wasn't the whole point of the caper to do this in a manner where there'd never be a crime reported and no need for murder?

The kid saw 3 dudes in a desert hooking up hoses to a railcar. He has no idea what the hell was going on. He could've easily thought this was some sort routine procedure.

Obviously, a tricky scenario, but the worst this kid would've done is mention seeing something odd in the desert. Maybe he arouses some suspicion, but again, there was no crime that will ever be reported.

Maybe someone comes out to that location to check things out, maybe not. If they do, they leave quickly. It's hot and nothing bad has happened, as far as anyone knows.

Now, I can assure you that people are coming out to that location. Only this time, they aren't leaving without answers.

Maybe it's been discussed, but do you guys think killing the kid was really the smart choice (morality aside, of course)?

I'd never question Mike's logic, but this kid didn't really witness a crime. Technically, it was a crime, but it was a crime that'll never be reported or noticed.

In fact, wasn't the whole point of the caper to do this in a manner where there'd never be a crime reported and no need for murder?

The kid saw 3 dudes in a desert hooking up hoses to a railcar. He has no idea what the hell was going on. He could've easily thought this was some sort routine procedure.

Obviously, a tricky scenario, but the worst this kid would've done is mention seeing something odd in the desert. Maybe he arouses some suspicion, but again, there was no crime that will ever be reported.

Maybe someone comes out to that location to check things out, maybe not. If they do, they leave quickly. It's hot and nothing bad has happened, as far as anyone knows.

Now, I can assure you that people are coming out to that location. Only this time, they aren't leaving without answers.
Eh?Mike didn't kill the kid, or tell him to kill the kid. This harkened back to Mike's original talk about killing the conductor/engineer, and Hank saying "no witnesses, understand?". No one, especially Mike, specifically told Todd to kill the kid.

Eh?Mike didn't kill the kid, or tell him to kill the kid. This harkened back to Mike's original talk about killing the conductor/engineer, and Hank saying "no witnesses, understand?". No one, especially Mike, specifically told Todd to kill the kid.
Yeah, I think we're supposed to conclude that the shooting was an overreaction. The kid was unlikely to have been any sort of real threat.

I know that. I'm asking if you guys think it was smart. I'm sure that debate will be a focal point next week on the show, amongst the characters.

We don't know how long the kid was there and how much he saw.New dude killed him so that was probably never even considered by walt/jess/mike

I wonder what walt would have done, i know jesse would have not wanted to kill the kid,

bad move.

The cops will be combing the desert for weeks

The weak psychological links cpuld break under this pressure

The team morale will be negatively impacted

cleanup will be nasty

if they let the kid go,what are the odds that the diluted methylene gets conected to three guys hanging in the desert by some kid?

We don't know how long the kid was there and how much he saw.New dude killed him so that was probably never even considered by walt/jess/mike

I wonder what walt would have done, i know jesse would have not wanted to kill the kid,
Curious how Walt will play this. Even if he's glad Todd killed the kid, I'd imagine he's smart enough not to let Jesse know that.

This was my thought. They should have just waved at him, said hi and pretended to be working on the railroad.

This was my thought. They should have just waved at him, said hi and pretended to be working on the railroad.
they kinda all did in their stunned sort of way, then dude pulls out his pistol.that was a pretty good scene

the only way that scene gets more intense is if it continues with them going over to the kid and he is still alive.

I know that. I'm asking if you guys think it was smart. I'm sure that debate will be a focal point next week on the show, amongst the characters.
I was referring to your line about "not questioning Mike's logic" - as if Mike thought this was the right move.In any case, I don't know that the kid getting killed, itself, will be what causes issues for them. I think the debate you're talking about, and how that leads Jesse back to the "End Times" clip I posted earlier, is what will frame this.

The kid came around (most likely) because it didn't look routine.

Probably knows the area pretty well.

This is the start of the end - internal strife...police all over this area...too much evidence to cover up..I expect fireworks the next few weeks!

I also wondered about the dirt we saw go into one of the tanks. I didn't catch which it was.
Yeah, that, and water.They started pumping water into the top of the tanker after they'd drawn about 300 gallons of the methylamine from the bottom. Water is denser than methylamine (since they were adding 920 gallons of water to replace 1,000 gallons or methylamine), so the water should sink to the bottom. After they started adding water to the tanker, they were probably drawing a water-methylamine solution toward the end rather than pure methylamine.

this. do you people not even watch this show?it is a great chance that tonto and squaw gave birth to opie.WHAT ARE WE TALKING ABOUT HERE?

Definitely not smart. I'm sure Walt will kill Mike's guy to keep Jesse on board and thus further alienating Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread