What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking Bad on AMC (2 Viewers)

Maybe it's been discussed, but do you guys think killing the kid was really the smart choice (morality aside, of course)?

I'd never question Mike's logic, but this kid didn't really witness a crime. Technically, it was a crime, but it was a crime that'll never be reported or noticed.

In fact, wasn't the whole point of the caper to do this in a manner where there'd never be a crime reported and no need for murder?

The kid saw 3 dudes in a desert hooking up hoses to a railcar. He has no idea what the hell was going on. He could've easily thought this was some sort routine procedure.

Obviously, a tricky scenario, but the worst this kid would've done is mention seeing something odd in the desert. Maybe he arouses some suspicion, but again, there was no crime that will ever be reported.

Maybe someone comes out to that location to check things out, maybe not. If they do, they leave quickly. It's hot and nothing bad has happened, as far as anyone knows.

Now, I can assure you that people are coming out to that location. Only this time, they aren't leaving without answers.
Eh?Mike didn't kill the kid, or tell him to kill the kid. This harkened back to Mike's original talk about killing the conductor/engineer, and Hank saying "no witnesses, understand?". No one, especially Mike, specifically told Todd to kill the kid.
I know that. I'm asking if you guys think it was smart. I'm sure that debate will be a focal point next week on the show, amongst the characters.
Definitely not smart. I'm sure Walt will kill Mike's guy to keep Jesse on board and thus further alienating Mike.
I thought they were Saul's guys?

Maybe it's been discussed, but do you guys think killing the kid was really the smart choice (morality aside, of course)?

I'd never question Mike's logic, but this kid didn't really witness a crime. Technically, it was a crime, but it was a crime that'll never be reported or noticed.

In fact, wasn't the whole point of the caper to do this in a manner where there'd never be a crime reported and no need for murder?

The kid saw 3 dudes in a desert hooking up hoses to a railcar. He has no idea what the hell was going on. He could've easily thought this was some sort routine procedure.

Obviously, a tricky scenario, but the worst this kid would've done is mention seeing something odd in the desert. Maybe he arouses some suspicion, but again, there was no crime that will ever be reported.

Maybe someone comes out to that location to check things out, maybe not. If they do, they leave quickly. It's hot and nothing bad has happened, as far as anyone knows.

Now, I can assure you that people are coming out to that location. Only this time, they aren't leaving without answers.
Eh?Mike didn't kill the kid, or tell him to kill the kid. This harkened back to Mike's original talk about killing the conductor/engineer, and Hank saying "no witnesses, understand?". No one, especially Mike, specifically told Todd to kill the kid.
I know that. I'm asking if you guys think it was smart. I'm sure that debate will be a focal point next week on the show, amongst the characters.
Definitely not smart. I'm sure Walt will kill Mike's guy to keep Jesse on board and thus further alienating Mike.
They are.I believe Mike said he was going to check them all out.

Last edited by a moderator:

The kid came around (most likely) because it didn't look routine.

Probably knows the area pretty well.
He probably has a toy train set too.

I think every male in within a 500 mile radius of Albuquerque is Saul's guy

I also wondered about the dirt we saw go into one of the tanks. I didn't catch which it was.
Yeah, that, and water.They started pumping water into the top of the tanker after they'd drawn about 300 gallons of the methylamine from the bottom. Water is denser than methylamine (since they were adding 920 gallons of water to replace 1,000 gallons or methylamine), so the water should sink to the bottom. After they started adding water to the tanker, they were probably drawing a water-methylamine solution toward the end rather than pure methylamine.
I was wondering about that myself. Hopefully it will be addressed at some point.

Actually, it would seem pretty reasonable that the good samaritan is the kid's dad.This is, apparently, an incredibly remote location, even for NM standards. 2 people being out there in close proximity would have a higher chance of being connected.Maybe the kid rode the bike from a small town a long way away, but it would seem more likely that someone would drop him off in a truck.Or the kid lives close by, in which case, his family is about the only one that lives close by. So the good samaritan has a high chance of being related.Anyway, if the investigation comes back to Walt/Jesse/Mike, I think the good samaritan already knowing the kid will be a key factor. It would mean someone very motivated to solve the case is also the best person suited to connect all the dots in the desert that day.
I thought they made it a pretty good point of showing that the good samaratain looked pretty american indian and teh kid on the bike was pasty white :shrug:
this. do you people not even watch this show?it is a great chance that tonto and squaw gave birth to opie.WHAT ARE WE TALKING ABOUT HERE?
There are a number of ways that guy being emotionally invested could be used.

Mike, from the preview for next week:

"I'm aware of only two kinds of heists. Those where the men got away, and those that left witnesses."

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Thanks for reminding me why I am done with this thread. :thumbup: There is no way anyone who watched last week's previews enjoyed tonight's episode as much as those of us who avoid previews. I watched last week's previews after watching tonight's episode. You guys are missing out on a lot of the fun by letting the network marketing tease you on the next epsiode to get you to watch. I thought killing there was a real chance Lydia was going to get killed. If I saw the preview I would have know she wasn't. Can't believe some of you are so dense that you don't get that previews are spoilers.
:thumbup:

"I'm aware of only two kinds of heists. Those where the men got away, and those that left witnesses."

Thanks for reminding me why I am done with this thread. :thumbup: There is no way anyone who watched last week's previews enjoyed tonight's episode as much as those of us who avoid previews. I watched last week's previews after watching tonight's episode. You guys are missing out on a lot of the fun by letting the network marketing tease you on the next epsiode to get you to watch. I thought killing there was a real chance Lydia was going to get killed. If I saw the preview I would have know she wasn't. Can't believe some of you are so dense that you don't get that previews are spoilers.
Not me, but some people can't wait for the previews. They love the show so much they want a few more peeks at the next week's episode...even if it might "spoil" the surprise going in to the next show.
Code:
Mrs. peaces

Jesse doesn't seem to like murder. I'm not sure that committing more murder is the best way to keep Jesse on board.

You guys are welcome to GTFO. This was never an issue the first 4 seasons in this thread.

I also wondered about the dirt we saw go into one of the tanks. I didn't catch which it was.
Yeah, that, and water.They started pumping water into the top of the tanker after they'd drawn about 300 gallons of the methylamine from the bottom. Water is denser than methylamine (since they were adding 920 gallons of water to replace 1,000 gallons or methylamine), so the water should sink to the bottom. After they started adding water to the tanker, they were probably drawing a water-methylamine solution toward the end rather than pure methylamine.
This is what I thougt too. In terms of suspense and great dialogue, this episode was definitely top 5. The opening foreshadow and ending scene were perhaps the greatest cinematic display in TV history. But I found it a little unfortunate we had to suspend some semblance of reality to get through the episode. Examples include:- Walt somehow knowing that him crying to Hank would both get Hank to leave the room (somewhat believable) AND that he would shut the blinds (not nearly as believable). - the bug coming in so clearly- them knowing EXACTLY where the train would stop and the coincidence of that being the perfect distance from the road to line up with the bridge- the random train whistles in the distance way before the train even gets to the roadReally not trying to complain but that episode definitely had the chance to be the best TV episode of any show ever.

You guys are welcome to GTFO. This was never an issue the first 4 seasons in this thread.
Yeah, no kidding.

My link

Yeah I don't know how anyone can come into a thread dedicated to one TV and be upset when future episodes are discussed in light of previews and/or actor comments. Part of the fun is guessing about what happens next.

Yeah I don't know how anyone can come into a thread dedicated to one TV and be upset when future episodes are discussed in light of previews and/or actor comments. Part of the fun is guessing about what happens next based on what was aired in the show.
FTFY

This is what I thougt too. In terms of suspense and great dialogue, this episode was definitely top 5. The opening foreshadow and ending scene were perhaps the greatest cinematic display in TV history. But I found it a little unfortunate we had to suspend some semblance of reality to get through the episode. Examples include:

- Walt somehow knowing that him crying to Hank would both get Hank to leave the room (somewhat believable) AND that he would shut the blinds (not nearly as believable).

I can let this go. Walt knows Hank. If he doesn't close the blinds it would have been easy for him to say "Idon't want anybody to see me like this"

- the bug coming in so clearly

for the purposes of TV, not a big deal

- them knowing EXACTLY where the train would stop and the coincidence of that being the perfect distance from the road to line up with the bridge

- the random train whistles in the distance way before the train even gets to the road

Really not trying to complain but that episode definitely had the chance to be the best TV episode of any show ever.
for me this issue is more with the time it would take to plan this thing from having the right tools (hoses, connectors, containers, training in how to hooku/unhook from the train)to timing the execution of it.

This is what I thougt too. In terms of suspense and great dialogue, this episode was definitely top 5. The opening foreshadow and ending scene were perhaps the greatest cinematic display in TV history. But I found it a little unfortunate we had to suspend some semblance of reality to get through the episode. Examples include:

- Walt somehow knowing that him crying to Hank would both get Hank to leave the room (somewhat believable) AND that he would shut the blinds (not nearly as believable).

I can let this go. Walt knows Hank. If he doesn't close the blinds it would have been easy for him to say "Idon't want anybody to see me like this"

- them knowing EXACTLY where the train would stop and the coincidence of that being the perfect distance from the road to line up with the bridge

- the random train whistles in the distance way before the train even gets to the road

Really not trying to complain but that episode definitely had the chance to be the best TV episode of any show ever.
for me this issue is more with the time it would take to plan this thing from having the right tools (hoses, connectors, containers, training in how to hooku/unhook from the train)to timing the execution of it.
Good call. I thought it very fortunate that Jesse had the exact size wrench, but I figured they had researched the train and I just take it that we're to assume a lot of behind-the-scenes research by Walt and Jesse take place which we don't see.

Good call. I thought it very fortunate that Jesse had the exact size wrench, but I figured they had researched the train and I just take it that we're to assume a lot of behind-the-scenes research by Walt and Jesse take place which we don't see.
Jesse and the other kid both had the metal "SECURE" zip-tie things to replace the ones that they had to cut off. Of course he'd have the right size wrench. They obviously did research. This isn't Mike's first rodeo.

Yep. This season there have been several huge leaps of faith and stretches that i find a bit irksome i.e. magnet and now train heist. However, I normally find comfort in knowing this is a fictional television show.

Exactly my thinking here...no way can we have this level of detail with only 11 episodes remaining.

Exactly my thinking here...no way can we have this level of detail with only 11 episodes remaining.
I get the overall impression that this would have to take place over an extended period, thereby shutting down the new operation for a few weeks

Could've made for a kick-### montage scene. Walt, Mike, and Jesse all Googling obscure technical information on train cars and taking notes, perhaps set to "Push it to The Limit" by Paul Engemann.

Why the hell is Walt even staying at home? Skyler hates him and his kids are at Hank's. Just go back to an apartment.

A truck stalling on tracks in the middle of nowhere is like 1,000,000:1. Bugged me. The train drivers were a little suspicious, but not suspicious enough. Would have been more plausible to have them mostly unaware of the cargo.

I wonder if they are going to keep the tank in the ground and just siphon off a few barrels at a time, or take the whole thing back? They can't do this trick again. But I guess 1,000 gallons will get them through the end of the series.

And in the way of prediction spoilers.... I'm totally seeing Hank discovering Walt in one of the last shows, Gomez kills Hank and we get the big reveal of him as a mole the entire time. But something is going on with Jesse. This new found brain of his tells me they are setting him up to be a competitor or the ultimate winner/survivor.

The better the show, the more disbelief one is willing to suspend. I think a lot of people give BB much more rope than they would another show.

Bill Burr rules, btw.

Why the hell is Walt even staying at home? Skyler hates him and his kids are at Hank's. Just go back to an apartment.
HELLO EXACTLY! She filed for divorce on him, banged another guy, and is now a mopey #####. Why is he still there? He was just fine when they were separated. Divorce. Move them somewhere. Send money. Visit the kids every so often.

The better the show, the more disbelief one is willing to suspend. I think a lot of people give BB much more rope than they would another show.Bill Burr rules, btw.
I've always thought it was a bit far fetched and somewhat predictable from the first time I watched. I never got the "best show ever" thing. I like it. A lot. And I like Walt, even as an #######. This isn't The Wire, Sopranos, Lost, etc.

I wonder if they are going to keep the tank in the ground and just siphon off a few barrels at a time, or take the whole thing back?
Seems like it might be hard to move a plastic tank with all that liquid inside of it. Unless Jesse builds a fleet of robots next episode that drink methylamine and fly to a giant tank somewhere to pee it out.

Why the hell is Walt even staying at home? Skyler hates him and his kids are at Hank's. Just go back to an apartment.A truck stalling on tracks in the middle of nowhere is like 1,000,000:1. Bugged me. The train drivers were a little suspicious, but not suspicious enough. Would have been more plausible to have them mostly unaware of the cargo.I wonder if they are going to keep the tank in the ground and just siphon off a few barrels at a time, or take the whole thing back? They can't do this trick again. But I guess 1,000 gallons will get them through the end of the series.And in the way of prediction spoilers.... I'm totally seeing Hank discovering Walt in one of the last shows, Gomez kills Hank and we get the big reveal of him as a mole the entire time. But something is going on with Jesse. This new found brain of his tells me they are setting him up to be a competitor or the ultimate winner/survivor.
There's an obvious moral dichotomy between Jesse and Todd/Landry. There are obviously going to be some schisms moving forward between Jesse and Todd/Walt (Todd having certainly endeared himself to Walt, who will see him as an ally), with Mike somewhere in the middle. And yet, my completely wild guess is that the heavy weaponry we see Walt buying in e01 is meant for Todd. I think he ends up highjacking the entire operation at some point and pushing Walt out.

HELLO EXACTLY! She filed for divorce on him, banged another guy, and is now a mopey #####. Why is he still there? He was just fine when they were separated. Divorce. Move them somewhere. Send money. Visit the kids every so often.
Because he thought he could make it work. Skyler just this episode give him the indication that under no circumstances would she allow them to be with him. He's just taken that information to heart.

The better the show, the more disbelief one is willing to suspend. I think a lot of people give BB much more rope than they would another show.

Bill Burr rules, btw.
I've always thought it was a bit far fetched and somewhat predictable from the first time I watched. I never got the "best show ever" thing. I like it. A lot. And I like Walt, even as an #######. This isn't The Wire, Sopranos, Lost, etc.
:fishy:

I wonder if they are going to keep the tank in the ground and just siphon off a few barrels at a time, or take the whole thing back?
Seems like it might be hard to move a plastic tank with all that liquid inside of it. Unless Jesse builds a fleet of robots next episode that drink methylamine and fly to a giant tank somewhere to pee it out.
They will use the pump and pump out all of the M into the same tanker they used to fill one of the tanks with water.

They will use the pump and pump out all of the M into the same tanker they used to fill one of the tanks with water.
Where will they put the stuff that's safer than where it is right now?

This isn't The Wire, Sopranos, Lost, etc.
I'm not sure what this means.The Wire is realistic. Lost is the opposite. BB is somewhere in between.
I don't think it's a top show ever.Lost certainly wasn't realistic, so that is a different type of comparison. BB doesn't need to make as many stretches as it does IMO and could be more realistic. I like the premise, and I like Walt basically discovering his confidence with his transformation. It's really good and entertaining though for sure and one of my favorite things on right now/recently. It just was over-hyped IMO. For example, I think it's better than Dexter, but they are similar to me.

Because he thought he could make it work. Skyler just this episode give him the indication that under no circumstances would she allow them to be with him. He's just taken that information to heart.
This doesn't fly with me the way Walt's character has been going. He's obsessed with making the business work, not the family, and Skyler is just causing problems. Even if he still loves her it makes more sense to put their relationship on hold for a while until he can re-establish everything and insulate himself like Gus did.

I was referring to your line about "not questioning Mike's logic" - as if Mike thought this was the right move.In any case, I don't know that the kid getting killed, itself, will be what causes issues for them. I think the debate you're talking about, and how that leads Jesse back to the "End Times" clip I posted earlier, is what will frame this.
I was just referring to Mike's comments planting that seed for the viewers and Landry taking Walt's words a little too literally. I don't think Mike would have chosen to kill the kid. I'm not sure either way though."Not to question Mike's judgement" was a poor choice of words.

Actually, it would seem pretty reasonable that the good samaritan is the kid's dad.This is, apparently, an incredibly remote location, even for NM standards. 2 people being out there in close proximity would have a higher chance of being connected.Maybe the kid rode the bike from a small town a long way away, but it would seem more likely that someone would drop him off in a truck.Or the kid lives close by, in which case, his family is about the only one that lives close by. So the good samaritan has a high chance of being related.Anyway, if the investigation comes back to Walt/Jesse/Mike, I think the good samaritan already knowing the kid will be a key factor. It would mean someone very motivated to solve the case is also the best person suited to connect all the dots in the desert that day.
I thought they made it a pretty good point of showing that the good samaratain looked pretty american indian and teh kid on the bike was pasty white :shrug:
this. do you people not even watch this show?it is a great chance that tonto and squaw gave birth to opie.WHAT ARE WE TALKING ABOUT HERE?
You seem really upset about this. Are the caps really necessary?Between you, Leeroy, and jojo, my theory seems to have caused way too much emotional turmoil.

A truck stalling on tracks in the middle of nowhere is like 1,000,000:1. Bugged me. The train drivers were a little suspicious, but not suspicious enough. Would have been more plausible to have them mostly unaware of the cargo.

I wonder if they are going to keep the tank in the ground and just siphon off a few barrels at a time, or take the whole thing back? They can't do this trick again. But I guess 1,000 gallons will get them through the end of the series.

And in the way of prediction spoilers.... I'm totally seeing Hank discovering Walt in one of the last shows, Gomez kills Hank and we get the big reveal of him as a mole the entire time. But something is going on with Jesse. This new found brain of his tells me they are setting him up to be a competitor or the ultimate winner/survivor.
There's an obvious moral dichotomy between Jesse and Todd/Landry. There are obviously going to be some schisms moving forward between Jesse and Todd/Walt (Todd having certainly endeared himself to Walt, who will see him as an ally), with Mike somewhere in the middle. And yet, my completely wild guess is that the heavy weaponry we see Walt buying in e01 is meant for Todd. I think he ends up highjacking the entire operation at some point and pushing Walt out.
This would rule.Jesse will never work with Todd after he killed a kid though. I can't really see Mike going along with him either.

The biggest fallout of what happened is going to be Jesse breaking down. I can't imagine the operation continuing with him now. He was a wreck after Gale, he was a wreck after Brock. He won't be able to handle this no matter what Walt says, at least not in a way that would be believable IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread