What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Broyles vs. Bolden this week... (1 Viewer)

Adding Broyles - easy call considering the rest of the WRs available are garbage. Bolden in too boom or bust - one long play skews his numbers. Could he be the answer in NE until Vereen gets back? Sure. But he could just as easily be invisible.

I know Nate broke his arm, but Broyles hasn't done anything to warrant a pick up, IMO.

I do think a Detroit wide receiver will step up in Nate's absence....who else is on that roster that could emerge?

Mr. Know-It-All said:
Adding Broyles - easy call considering the rest of the WRs available are garbage. Bolden in too boom or bust - one long play skews his numbers. Could he be the answer in NE until Vereen gets back? Sure. But he could just as easily be invisible.
I'm not getting the Broyles thing. Why is the backup to a WR3/4 a must add?

I know Nate broke his arm, but Broyles hasn't done anything to warrant a pick up, IMO.

I do think a Detroit wide receiver will step up in Nate's absence....who else is on that roster that could emerge?
Last week was his first game back, he only played 17 snaps, and he caught all 3 balls thrown his way for 34 yds. And that was with Burleson. He comes with risk, but he's certainly worth a pick-up.

Mr. Know-It-All said:
I'm not getting the Broyles thing. Why is the backup to a WR3/4 a must add?
Yeah - not looking to add him as a wr1 or 2...but he can easily emerge as a great bye week filler now that bye weeks start for the next 8 weeks. You could do much worse. Patrick Edwards has a bad ankle - so if Broyles is ever in a better position to live up to his hype it is now....whether his knees are ready for it is yet to be seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing that has me concerned with Broyles is that he was a healthy scratch the first two weeks, and Schwartz said it was a "competitive thing", that is, the other guys like Edwards were just better. Now, that could have been because Broyles was still working his way back into form, but I also know that the Lions are really high on Edwards. I don't want to waste a ww claim on Broyles, if I can get the same thing (or better) in Edwards off of the fa list. So I would appreciate some insight from the Det homers on Broyles vs Edwards

Bolden the easy call here for me. His first game back from an injury he rushes for over 50 yards, plays equal snaps with Ridley, and catches 5 for another 47. 5 for 47 is a likely game for Broyles, and the Lions are already hitting the phones trying to trade for a WR.

Bolden's got another 2 months to establish himself before Vereen gets back. He's much better in the passing game than either Ridley or Blount, and he's not far behind Ridley in the run game. If they're not winning by 20, Bolden probably has much, much bigger stats. Take the gift if you've got waiver priority - RB2 for free from the wire...

When he took over for Burleson last year, Broyles put up several solid games--3/51/1, 6/52, 6/124, etc. The offense didn't miss a beat. His season ending injury is the only reason he wasn't starting already this season. Now he's back and ready to play, and will be stepping in to a role where he's already shown some results. I think he has a great shot at doing exactly the kinda of things Burleson has done so far.

Broyles was inactive the first 2 games because he's still recovering from an ACL tear late last season, it wasn't a true "healthy scratch". He was becoming a solid WR3 last year with Nate out, then derailed by injury. I can see him being that again, but it may take him another 2-3 weeks to get fully healthy.

That said, I'm picking up Bolden over Broyles. I already have 6 guys better than Broyles at WR/TE, and need the depth at RB more.

I'll be picking up a wr hopefully and it won't be Broyles. Don't want to give away anything by listing any names in case anyone in my league reads this. I just really don't see Broyles doing much and as someone already mentioned Patrick Edwards could be the guy to add if you want a Detroit wr after Burleson's injury.

I'll be picking up a wr hopefully and it won't be Broyles. Don't want to give away anything by listing any names in case anyone in my league reads this. I just really don't see Broyles doing much and as someone already mentioned Patrick Edwards could be the guy to add if you want a Detroit wr after Burleson's injury.
lol, good luck with Broyles!

I dont get the infatuation with Broyles. Nate Burleson has basically been WW fodder his entire time on the Lions. Stafford isnt gonna start throwing it to Broyles all of a sudden. Hes still gonna target Johnson, Bush/Bell, and his TEs a ton with Broyles picking up the scraps. Plus the guy is coming off ACL injury and will likely only be used in WR3 sets.

I also dont think Bolden is a must add. Sure passing RB in NE offense has value but Danny Woodhead or Kevin Faulk has always been a bye week fill in at best. Once Amendola & Gronk come back this guy is WW fodder. Maybe hes worth a flier if you think hes gonna get the full time job but I just dont see that happening. This is a 3 headed RBBC it appears to me.

Im passing on both these guys. Have no interest in either.

I dont get the infatuation with Broyles. Nate Burleson has basically been WW fodder his entire time on the Lions. Stafford isnt gonna start throwing it to Broyles all of a sudden. Hes still gonna target Johnson, Bush/Bell, and his TEs a ton with Broyles picking up the scraps. Plus the guy is coming off ACL injury and will likely only be used in WR3 sets.

I also dont think Bolden is a must add. Sure passing RB in NE offense has value but Danny Woodhead or Kevin Faulk has always been a bye week fill in at best. Once Amendola & Gronk come back this guy is WW fodder. Maybe hes worth a flier if you think hes gonna get the full time job but I just dont see that happening. This is a 3 headed RBBC it appears to me.

Im passing on both these guys. Have no interest in either.
FWIW, Stafford has thrown 121 passes thus far in 2013.

12 of them targeted Pettigrew

3 of them targeted Scheffler

That's a hair over 10%.

Burleson, on the other hand, had 23 targets. Those passes need to go somewhere....and unless Pettigrew suddenly grew a pair of soft hands and Scheffler suddenly became relevant in this offense I suspect they go to the WR position first, then the RB position.

Broyles is certainly no world beater and he has likely lost some burst and speed given his recent ACL injuries. However, my eyeballs see a smooth, savvy wideout with excellent-to-great hands in a pass-happy offense getting an opportunity for 30-40 snaps at first and possibly more as the season progresses.

I predict he sees 5-7 targets regularly and possibly more if he proves himself. In a PPR setting as a possible WR3/WR4 I really don't see why you wouldn't want to take a shot on him.

Burleson has actually been a decent WR3/Flex play when healthy this season and last. Broyles looked good when he started last year. They did the same thing with him.. he had knee injury, started him a few weeks into the season.

He's as good a claim as any. Does anyone have any real insight as to how he'll be used? All is speculation. Welcome to FF

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread