What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

BYU/Duke Volleyball race hoax (1 Viewer)

@jon_mx
Which areas have higher murder rates, red states or blue states?
Metropolitan areas
Wasn't what I asked, but while we're here, murder rates are per capita, so you might want to think on that a bit more.
Why don't you just show me the stats then
Here is some fun reading:

Feel free to source cop it if you want, but the numbers are the numbers. The author clearly has an agenda with this article, but again, the numbers are the numbers and you can gain some knowledge by just looking at the charts.

ETA: if you want, the stats are in an excel file linked on the right side of the page

@jon_mx
Metropolitan areas
Wasn't what I asked, but while we're here, murder rates are per capita, so you might want to think on that a bit more.

Feel free to source cop it if you want, but the numbers are the numbers. The author clearly has an agenda with this article, but again, the numbers are the numbers and you can gain some knowledge by just looking at the charts.

ETA: if you want, the stats are in an excel file linked on the right side of the page
Thanks, its a fair take on the numbers I'm sure. I just believe a more accurate reflection of crime rate is between Rural vs Urban.

It is easy to claim you don't have racial problems when you don't have any real numbers of Africans to have issue with.
Say what? !!!!
Unbelievable.
If your country is almost exclusively white people there is little chance for racist behavior to occur.

What is so difficult here fellas?
1850, the US was 84% white.

Para and jon_mx - not much racism!

What are the demographics of those states?

Also that table says it is from 2020 right? Their data differs from other data. I picked Kentucky because I figured Louisville would account for a massive % of their murders. I was right 170/323. But I also found multiple sources putting the KY murder rate at between 7.2 (state data) and 9.5 (CDC data).

I was surprised to see IL missing. So I looked into that too. If we take just the murders for Cook county they practically make that chart(using Cook county murders by state pop). If we add in rest of state, they do make the chart. So I feel comfortable in disregarding this article. Not because I don't like the source, but because I don't like the data.

1850, the US was 84% white.

Para and jon_mx - not much racism!

In 1850 the number of black people in the US was 3.6 million. The population of Finland today is 5.5 million with over 95% white and less than 2% black.

The South, where I think most people would argue was where the more racist actions occured, was over 33% black. I say most, because as we can see here, some people will argue anything. The US South in 1850 had 32 times as many black people as Finland has today.

The north had 4 times as many.

Now factor in that a much larger % of blacks in Finland speak a different language, it becomes pretty easy to see how diluted racism surveys become and quantifiable interactions pale in comparison.

But, yeah, other than all that, 1850 slave times seems like a great comparison.

We live in what is the least racist society ever, and the left and their media do everything possible to make racism a much bigger problem then it actually is.
You can't possibly be serious. :loco:
He actually may be right.

Now, that said, it doesn't mean that society isn't racist and could still make significant strides on the issue. It more speaks to awful humans have been towards each other based on a nonconsequential and immutable thing such as race.

What does a false racial claim from a volleyball game have to to with murders?
We got here when it was suggested that black people are more likely to commit violent crimes. I disagree with that thought.

I don`t know what the stats are on that topic.
disproportionate
Not if you control for income.
Do you have a source to back that up? In the past, I have come across research that states the opposite. Of course, people have multiple ways of interpreting the statistics.

Here is an example of interpreting statistics in different ways:
Racial biases in the criminal justice system don’t only apply to poor people, according to new research from Harvard, Stanford, and the Census Bureau covered in today’s New York Times:

“Black men raised in the top 1 percent – by millionaires – were as likely to be incarcerated as white men raised in households earning about $36,000.”
This helps explain why even Black boys from affluent families run a greater risk than their white peers of ending up poor. As a separate article in Race and Social Problems noted in 2016, the likelihood of incarceration is higher for Black people than for white people at every economic level.

@jon_mx
Metropolitan areas

Thanks, its a fair take on the numbers I'm sure. I just believe a more accurate reflection of crime rate is between Rural vs Urban.
Isn't it fair to say that all throughout history cities are more violent than rural areas. Just by the nature of so many more people living close together.

Heck in Rome and Deadwood, dudes were offing each other left and right (at least according to HBO). And they cussed a surprising amount too.

We live in what is the least racist society ever, and the left and their media do everything possible to make racism a much bigger problem then it actually is.

Now, that said, it doesn't mean that society isn't racist and could still make significant strides on the issue. It more speaks to awful humans have been towards each other based on a nonconsequential and immutable thing such as race.
The US is most definitely not the least racist society every. And no matter the population of whites, blacks, whatever, even if there's a small minority population, if the majority aren't racist towards them then they're not racist.

The South, where I think most people would argue was where the more racist actions occured
Racism is more than just visible actions.

The population of Finland today is 5.5 million with over 95% white and less than 2% black.
So being white in Finland is more normal, more "right". One would be less likely to interact with very many blacks to come to the conclusion that they are just people. Seems to me that this should lead to more racism rather than less. Earlier in this thread I offered speculation that counters this - racism is a pattern matching skill learned early, but absent that it seems like common sense that being more concentrated as a single race the more likely skin colors leads to value judgments based on only skin color.

The US is most definitely not the least racist society every. And no matter the population of whites, blacks, whatever, even if there's a small minority population, if the majority aren't racist towards them then they're not racist.
Asking this genuinely: which specific societies have been less racist?

Many areas of Europe. Canada. South America. New Zealand. India.

And I do think the US is way less racist than it was say 30+ years ago. I'm just remarking on the "least racist society ever" comment. The US has come a very long way since the 50's and 60's when blacks were fire hosed. But selling a house as a black person these days is still a massive disadvantage for example.

1st Google result:

Apparently the US is the 69th least racist country as of 2020. While 69th place is easily the sexiest rank, it's definitely not a data point that supports "least racist country ever".

Which is absolutely absurd. All these 'least racist' countries have like 0 or 1 or 2 or at best maybe 3 percent populations which are black. A Sweedish group did a study to measure racial tolerance and the US was rated in the group with the most racially tolerant countries.

If you want to hear racial slurs, it is not at BYU or any athletic event in America. There is zero tolerance for such behavior in the US
But go to a soccer game in Europe. Racial slurs are a big problem and quite common. UK is among the worst. Unlike the rest of the world, the US actually has an integrated society with large numbers of minorities from all types of races. There are more blacks in the US than all the other non-African countries combined. It is easy to claim you don't have racial problems when you don't have any real numbers of Africans to have issue with. If you actually look into the numbers, even places that everyone assumes are far more tolerant than the US like Canada, the numbers tell a much different story. It just does not seem bad because their numbers are few. But with those lower numbers there is silence and the abuse is just hidden. The large numbers in the US gives them a voice and much more power to stand up to abuse and eliminate it.

Also, Blacks are far more successful in the US than anywhere else. Even counting Africa, there are far more millionaires in the US than the rest of the world combined. The opportunities blacks have in the US are unparalleled.
As is their likelihood of going to prison.
It might be related to theirv6 timed higher likelihood to commit violent crimes.
If you adjust for income I don't think that any race is more or less likely to commit crimes.
This is a huge piece of the puzzle. Any serious discussion should include this and education in the stats and conversation.

And I do think the US is way less racist than it was say 30+ years ago. I'm just remarking on the "least racist society ever" comment. The US has come a very long way since the 50's and 60's when blacks were fire hosed. But selling a house as a black person these days is still a massive disadvantage for example.
Fair. I suppose I interpreted Jon's post as being a touch hyperbolic. I do wonder whether there are significantly less racist societies than ours.

1st Google result:

Apparently the US is the 69th least racist country as of 2020. While 69th place is easily the sexiest rank, it's definitely not a data point that supports "least racist country ever".

Which is absolutely absurd. All these 'least racist' countries have like 0 or 1 or 2 or at best maybe 3 percent populations which are black. A Sweedish group did a study to measure racial tolerance and the US was rated in the group with the most racially tolerant countries.

If you want to hear racial slurs, it is not at BYU or any athletic event in America. There is zero tolerance for such behavior in the US
But go to a soccer game in Europe. Racial slurs are a big problem and quite common. UK is among the worst. Unlike the rest of the world, the US actually has an integrated society with large numbers of minorities from all types of races. There are more blacks in the US than all the other non-African countries combined. It is easy to claim you don't have racial problems when you don't have any real numbers of Africans to have issue with. If you actually look into the numbers, even places that everyone assumes are far more tolerant than the US like Canada, the numbers tell a much different story. It just does not seem bad because their numbers are few. But with those lower numbers there is silence and the abuse is just hidden. The large numbers in the US gives them a voice and much more power to stand up to abuse and eliminate it.

Also, Blacks are far more successful in the US than anywhere else. Even counting Africa, there are far more millionaires in the US than the rest of the world combined. The opportunities blacks have in the US are unparalleled.
It might be related to theirv6 timed higher likelihood to commit violent crimes.
If you adjust for income I don't think that any race is more or less likely to commit crimes.
This is a huge piece of the puzzle. Any serious discussion should include this and education in the stats and conversation.
Do you have a link to crime stats by race that adjust for income? I'm asking this sincerely because I do want to understand it correctly.

@jon_mx
Metropolitan areas

Isn't it fair to say that all throughout history cities are more violent than rural areas. Just by the nature of so many more people living close together.

Heck in Rome and Deadwood, dudes were offing each other left and right (at least according to HBO). And they cussed a surprising amount too.
Yeah thats a fair take. Cities also tend to spend more on police, emergency services and other resources to deter crime than rural areas.

My reason to highlight the urban v rural is that if we're trying to say red state this and blue state that, the metropolitan areas within the state can easily swing a per/capita crime rate in the state.

What does a false racial claim from a volleyball game have to to with murders?
We got here when it was suggested that black people are more likely to commit violent crimes. I disagree with that thought.

I don`t know what the stats are on that topic.
disproportionate
Not if you control for income.
Do you have a source to back that up? In the past, I have come across research that states the opposite. Of course, people have multiple ways of interpreting the statistics.

Here is an example of interpreting statistics in different ways:
Racial biases in the criminal justice system don’t only apply to poor people, according to new research from Harvard, Stanford, and the Census Bureau covered in today’s New York Times:

“Black men raised in the top 1 percent – by millionaires – were as likely to be incarcerated as white men raised in households earning about $36,000.”
This helps explain why even Black boys from affluent families run a greater risk than their white peers of ending up poor. As a separate article in Race and Social Problems noted in 2016, the likelihood of incarceration is higher for Black people than for white people at every economic level.
Last time I studied this topic was the late 90's. I'll check out this article when I get some free time later today.

ETA: I'm open to being wrong here. I'll be surprised if I am, because a lot would've had to have changed in the past 20 years for me to be wrong, but it's certainly possible.

Also learned from Google: America is the least racist country appears to be a Charlie Kirk talking point.

I'd argue that America isn't a country but rather 2 continents and numerous countries. And that Charlie Kirk is a turd who makes lots of loud noises that are rarely backed up with evidence, but feel free to draw your own conclusions.
Also his eyes, nose, and mouth are disappearing into his head, and no one seems to be concerned about it

1st Google result:

Do you have a link to crime stats by race that adjust for income? I'm asking this sincerely because I do want to understand it correctly.

I will be honest- I will look but don't remember seeing that exact study parameters. Mostly what I have seen is crime rates based on race, income, education, etc and far mor correlative is when poverty goes up, violent crime rises with it.

1st Google result:

I will be honest- I will look but don't remember seeing that exact study parameters. Mostly what I have seen is crime rates based on race, income, education, etc and far mor correlative is when poverty goes up, violent crime rises with it.
I agree that the rate of violent crime increases with poverty. In regards to crime rates by race adjusted for income, those are the parameters of the claim that Hulk was making and you said any serious discussion should include this so I thought it was fair to ask where you guys are getting the statistics that shaped your opinions.

Fair. I suppose I interpreted Jon's post as being a touch hyperbolic. I do wonder whether there are significantly less racist societies than ours.
I seriously believe that Europeans are far more racists than the US. They just have such an insugnifant number of blacks where it doesn't register. There are far more openly racists acts in European soccer games for instance than what ever goes on at US events. It is not news when it happens there. In the US there is national outrage and media coverage.

1st Google result:

I agree that the rate of violent crime increases with poverty. In regards to crime rates by race adjusted for income, those are the parameters of the claim that Hulk was making and you said any serious discussion should include this so I thought it was fair to ask where you guys are getting the statistics that shaped your opinions.
Oh, it's a fair question. Personally, i was saying more that discussions on this should at least include income, education, etc because of what I have read. Not specifically that I had in mind a study that had race adjusted for income. I don't think it's accurate to say blacks commit more violent crime without other stuff for context is all.

Racial slurs at a football match is an odd focal point for judging a society, imo. I would look more at societal advancement, income gaps, property ownership, etc.

Last time I studied this topic was the late 90's. I'll check out this article when I get some free time later today.
In Florida you would be surprised it's mostly small towns and beach areas that have the highest crime. I know it surprised me.
I would've guessed areas in the pan handle. Are these cities/towns in the pan handle?
3 are S. Fl, 1 Panhandle, 1 N. Central Fl.
They cover The 3 distinct areas of FL. Which are all really different demographics. 4th demographic pretty safe if you can afford to live there. That's the conch republic.

In Florida you would be surprised it's mostly small towns and beach areas that have the highest crime. I know it surprised me.
I would've guessed areas in the pan handle. Are these cities/towns in the pan handle?
3 are S. Fl, 1 Panhandle, 1 N. Central Fl.FL.
They cover The 3 distinct areas of FL. Which are all really different demographics. 4th demographic pretty safe if you can afford to live there. That's the conch republic.
Are they heavy tourist or college destinations,

1 in the panhandle,but if you go down further down the list the beaches start showing up. Daytona is the worst what a cess pool. S. Fl mostly agricultural areas. Lake City just a bunch of Rednecks getting into trouble.

Hmmm. I'd always heard that the pan handle was the worst part of the state (from Floridians)

LOL...so everyone thinks Canada is a shining example of multiculturism and tolerance.....the truth is minorities in Canada fair worse in Canada than African Americans do. For instance, Canada's largest minority is their Aboriginal population. In virtually every category Canada aboriginal population is far worse off than African Americans....much higher incarceration rates...much lower life expectancy....much higher murder rate...higher infant mortality rate....higher drop out rate....lower income.....oh Canada is great....what a load.

Another story with regard to the incident at the BYU/Oregon game which doesn't appear to be getting much attention...or definitely not near the attention that the BYU/Duke story got,

Not a shock actually. The liberal state schools in the conference want no part of BYU in the PAC 12 because of their religious stances.

Not a shock actually. The liberal state schools in the conference want no part of BYU in the PAC 12 because of their religious stances.
I think BYU's exclusion from a Power-5 conference has a lot more to do with TV markets than anything else. TV rules everything in terms of Power-5 conference invitation (just ask UCONN).

Gotcha. I was just trying to run through reasons in my head for those towns since they were pretty small (but of course that probably bumps them up since it's always per capita). I just thought either a surplus of drugs, drunk college kids, or poorer towns that might explain it.

LOL...so everyone thinks Canada is a shining example of multiculturism and tolerance.....the truth is minorities in Canada fair worse in Canada than African Americans do. For instance, Canada's largest minority is their Aboriginal population. In virtually every category Canada aboriginal population is far worse off than African Americans....much higher incarceration rates...much lower life expectancy....much higher murder rate...higher infant mortality rate....higher drop out rate....lower income.....oh Canada is great....what a load.
Why would compare that group to African Americans and not Native Americans? Seems weird.

Hmmm. I'd always heard that the pan handle was the worst part of the state (from Floridians)

Not at all I've always loved it up there unless it's changed in the last few years. Some great places to live up there. As a matter of fact I've thought about moving there. Especially with Orlando and it's problems keep spreading North urban sprawl and all . We only have a 40 mile buffer

I think BYU's exclusion from a Power-5 conference has a lot more to do with TV markets than anything else. TV rules everything in terms of Power-5 conference invitation (just ask UCONN).
The California state schools were the leaders. The SLC market is a good sized marked, may be bigger than Portland actually.

How about we're the least racist country of all time except when we're kneeling on a guy's neck until he dies, or shooting a guy at a routine traffic stop in front of his 4 year old daughter.

ETA: Guess we could just say "Claims of least racist-ness not valid in Minnesota"
everyone claimed racist white cop kills black guy & we all saw it. what I haven't seen evidence of is, that the cop is a racist. he may well be I just haven't read or seen anything that proves that. the court case didn't bring it up, as far as I know. Previous transgressions etc. I know he had some complaints on various arrests. could be wrong & there is plenty out there to show he is indeed racist. enlighten me.

1 in the panhandle,but if you go down further down the list the beaches start showing up. Daytona is the worst what a cess pool. S. Fl mostly agricultural areas. Lake City just a bunch of Rednecks getting into trouble.
I’ll always remember Lake City for 2 things. One is it’s where I-10 and I-75 meet and my drive down for spring training each year was over the desolate part of I-10 once I got there. Used to ride with a buddy who loved Cracker Barrel and they had one there. The other thing is Ted Bundy had a victim there

The California state schools were the leaders. The SLC market is a good sized marked, may be bigger than Portland actually.
The problem at this point is that BYU adds literally nothing in TV market, as the Pac-12 already has Utah. If the Utah TV market is attractive enough, BYU might latch on to the Big-12, but they don't bring anything additional to the Pac-12. It's kind of similar to the B1G not needing, say, Virginia when they already have the DC market by virtue of Maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread