What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Caitlin Clark’s rookie salary is $76,000 (1 Viewer)

I think people are getting hung up on the pro athlete part. There are plenty of other sports where professional athletes don't make a ton of money. If Clark and this rookie class can carry over the entertainment factor from college to the pro level then they will make a lot more money very soon.

Clark, Cameron Brink and Angel Reese came into this draft with millions banked away already. They can leverage that. They will never have to play in Russia to supplement their income.

If they come into the WNBA with their financial futures already secure, I'm curious to see how this plays out. They could just refuse to play for the WNBA right now and force a larger conversation on how this league moves forward.

Leverage is a beautiful thing and they got it.
They really don't. How is that conversation going to go?

"Pay up or we just won't play."

"No."

"OK. Well, pay up or we will start our own league."

"So we have to shut down and stop losing money? Uh, OK!"

Do you really think that 22-23 year old girls who have millions in the bank already will continue to play basketball for $75K per season? Why would they do that?
Is this a serious question?

The Nike deal is a big one. It's not just 28. She re-upped. In February or so Jordan took her onto his Jordan brand. I'm not sure how it works but it reads like he can take anyone he wants from Nike- with the whole pretentiousness that there isn't a parent company here with both profiting.

She has Gatorade and all sorts of endorsements. It's not at all just Nike.

I believe three WNBA teams have sold out tickets for this season for the first time ever. The others will just need to wait a bit to get theirs but it's coming.

She is the WNBA version of Dr J.

I heard on the radio that if she's offered a reasonable professional deal/business proposal, she refers them to her agent. If it's sketchy, she refers them to her dad 🤣

Clark is that rare athlete who has caused me to tune in to a sporting event that I normally would not be watching: the other two that I can think of were Wayne Gretzky when he came to the Kings (I was a teenager) and Tiger Woods during his heyday.

But in neither example was the effect long lasting. Gretzky didn’t turn me into an NHL fan, and Tiger didn’t make me a rabid golf fan. In both incidences my interest in the sport did not last much after their big splashes. So I doubt that Clark will turn me into a women’s basketball fan long term but we’ll see.
What about Clark is causing you to tune into womens basketball? Is it her, or the publicity that she has garnered in the media and elsewhere? My guess is that you heard all this talk about her so you decided to check her out. It really wasn't her per say as much as it was the media pumping her up.
If you watch her play, you wouldn't be asking this question. She is a flat out, stone cold killer.

Clark is that rare athlete who has caused me to tune in to a sporting event that I normally would not be watching: the other two that I can think of were Wayne Gretzky when he came to the Kings (I was a teenager) and Tiger Woods during his heyday.

But in neither example was the effect long lasting. Gretzky didn’t turn me into an NHL fan, and Tiger didn’t make me a rabid golf fan. In both incidences my interest in the sport did not last much after their big splashes. So I doubt that Clark will turn me into a women’s basketball fan long term but we’ll see.
What about Clark is causing you to tune into womens basketball? Is it her, or the publicity that she has garnered in the media and elsewhere? My guess is that you heard all this talk about her so you decided to check her out. It really wasn't her per say as much as it was the media pumping her up.
If you watch her play, you wouldn't be asking this question. She is a flat out, stone cold killer.
I have watched her play a few times. She is a good shooter/player but she doesn't make me want to continue to watch women's basketball. The game is still what it is and her alone doesn't get me to want to come back for more.

If you watch her play, you wouldn't be asking this question.
My question was about what brought them to go watch her play. For example, were you watching women's basketball anyway so it wasn't the media hype that drew you in. Or was the media hype surrounding her the reason you tuned in to begin with.

I guess I should have also continued with the next question (if the reason was the latter example) of once you tuned in and saw her play did she make you want to keep coming back to women's basketball? Did she make you want to watch other games where she wasn't involved? For me, I have watched her a few times. She is good but the overall women's game isn't that great or for me. Her alone doesn't make me want to continue to watch the sport.

If you watch her play, you wouldn't be asking this question.
My question was about what brought them to go watch her play. For example, were you watching women's basketball anyway so it wasn't the media hype that drew you in. Or was the media hype surrounding her the reason you tuned in to begin with.

I guess I should have also continued with the next question (if the reason was the latter example) of once you tuned in and saw her play did she make you want to keep coming back to women's basketball? Did she make you want to watch other games where she wasn't involved? For me, I have watched her a few times. She is good but the overall women's game isn't that great or for me. Her alone doesn't make me want to continue to watch the sport.
I watch all Oregon State sports, including the women's B ball team. Pretty entertaining, especially when attending in person. I actually enjoy the women's game in college, more than the mens....our mens B ball sucks though so that's partly the reason.....I don't really watch many sporting events anymore unless I have a vested interest. I am an OSU alum......I don't watch either NBA or WNBA.

The thing about Clark that impresses me the most is her court vision. Her passing is other worldly. She is a once in a generation talent. That's why people are watching. I don't think it's the media hyping her. She earns the hype.

The thing about Clark that impresses me the most is her court vision. Her passing is other worldly. She is a once in a generation talent. That's why people are watching. I don't think it's the media hyping her. She earns the hype.
I would argue that the media hype is why people are starting to watch. Without the media hype the influx of new viewers that don't normally watch wouldn't be tuning in. It takes the media hype to bring in new viewers so the real question is that once they tune in..... do they become a new continued viewer because she is a "generational talent"? For me, the answer is no. So for me, she isn't "earning" the hype because it isn't so good I want to keep watching. The hype has been so big that I expected a lot more from her.

I would argue that the media hype is why people are starting to watch. Without the media hype the influx of new viewers that don't normally watch wouldn't be tuning in. It takes the media hype to bring in new viewers so the real question is that once they tune in..... do they become a new continued viewer because she is a "generational talent"? For me, the answer is no. So for me, she isn't "earning" the hype because it isn't so good I want to keep watching. The hype has been so big that I expected a lot more from her.
Fair enough. I think your point is valid.

Im not sure if she will get people to be continued viewers. People watch for different reasons. College it's about your alma mater. Pros is different. I think the WNBA will always be niche because it won't move the needle much , even with Clark, for the average American sports fan. It's just not exciting enough. The average sports fan doesn't really consider each sport for what it is.

You watched the LSU game and still have this conclusion? Her range is Curry and it’s very fun to watch.

Also, of course media hype is part of it, but imo, it’s warranted.

You watched the LSU game and still have this conclusion? Her range is Curry and it’s very fun to watch.
This is exactly what drew my interest. Watching Clark consistently hit treys from NBA-range was amazing and a truly unique phenomenon.

But IMO the women's game is otherwise too bland to sustain any viewing loyalty on my behalf.

Also, I believe with larger, quicker defenders in the WNBA that Clark won't be able to consistently sustain such a performance differential.

Yeah I can’t see it being sustainable. Maybe through her first season. After that, is ESPN (or whoever) really going to keep pushing her or just move onto the next hot thing and we’ll see a bunch of Toy Story “I don’t want to play with you anymore” memes

Yeah I can’t see it being sustainable. Maybe through her first season. After that, is ESPN (or whoever) really going to keep pushing her or just move onto the next hot thing and we’ll see a bunch of Toy Story “I don’t want to play with you anymore” memes

Come for Caitlin Clark, stay for Cameron Brink.

Absolutely.
And what's the deal with the hype surrounding Angel Reese? She was picked 7th and nobody talks about pick #4, #5 & #6. Is it just her trash-talking?

Also, of course media hype is part of it, but imo, it’s warranted.
I watched more than just that game. I am not basing this on a one off. I gave it a chance and while there are good/exciting games at times (just like any sport) but it isn't a quality/style/excitement/etc of play that makes it must see or seek out games to watch.

So for me, she isn't "earning" the hype because it isn't so good I want to keep watching. The hype has been so big that I expected a lot more from her.
I would argue that if she isn’t good enough that you want to keep watching you have no desire to watch women’s bball
No argument from me. The women's game isn't something I want to seek out to watch.....even with Clark playing.

Absolutely.
And what's the deal with the hype surrounding Angel Reese? She was picked 7th and nobody talks about pick #4, #5 & #6. Is it just her trash-talking?
There’s kind of a Larry Bird/ Magic thing going on there…

Absolutely.
Eh, from what I’ve seen one is quite a bit better than the other.

If not for Clark most would’ve never heard of Reese imo

Absolutely.

I mean, she and LSU curbstomped Clark and Iowa in last year's final. She was named MOP (no, not THAT one) of the 2023 tourney. Bayou Barbie has several endorsement deals. I don't think Clark is owed credit for Reese's fame and credentials, but I can see how Clark's fame might have opened your eyes to Reese.

Absolutely.

I mean, she and LSU curbstomped Clark and Iowa in last year's final. She was named MOP (no, not THAT one) of the 2023 tourney. Bayou Barbie has several endorsement deals. I don't think Clark is owed credit for Reese's fame and credentials, but I can see how Clark's fame might have opened your eyes to Reese.
Meh…I still think if people (including me) didn’t see her “you can’t see me” or whatever plastered everywhere most casual fans (including me) wouldn’t know who she is

Absolutely.

Meh…I still think if people (including me) didn’t see her “you can’t see me” or whatever plastered everywhere most casual fans (including me) wouldn’t know who she is

That's fine. You're not a fan of the sport. It's okay not to be.

Absolutely.

I wrote “casual fans” . And “most people”

But you’ve proven you are the most die hard womens basketball fan on the board so rest easy gb 👍

Absolutely.

But you’ve proven you are the most die hard womens basketball fan on the board so rest easy gb 👍

Would you know any names in women's basketball that preceeded Clark? I would think the answer to that is "yes" but the way you carry yourself in here, Clark is the only reason you are aware of other players in her draft class. :shrug:

Absolutely.

Would you know any names in women's basketball that preceeded Clark? I would think the answer to that is "yes" but the way you carry yourself in here, Clark is the only reason you are aware of other players in her draft class. :shrug:

Lisa Leslie
Rebecca Lobo
Diana Taurasi

Did those Cavendish twins get drafted? That would be about it for me

Absolutely.

I feel like this is an Abbott and Costello routine

Absolutely.

Angel Reese is a very good player in her own right, but I would agree she wouldn't be in the conversation as the counterpart to Caitlin were it not for her antics at the conclusion of the national title game last year.

The 'you can't see me' wave as she followed Clark around the court after the game was brilliant and has/will make her millions of dollars over the coming years as she capitalizes on her brand. Her profile wouldn't be nearly as high if she hadn't done that. I personally found it to be an egregious demonstration of terrible sportsmanship, probably the worst I've ever seen at the conclusion of any national title or championship game, but that's just my opinion.

Absolutely.

Angel Reese is a very good player in her own right, but I would agree she wouldn't be in the conversation as the counterpart to Caitlin were it not for her antics at the conclusion of the national title game last year.

The 'you can't see me' wave as she followed Clark around the court after the game was brilliant and has/will make her millions of dollars over the coming years as she capitalizes on her brand. Her profile wouldn't be nearly as high if she hadn't done that. I personally found it to be an egregious demonstration of terrible sportsmanship, probably the worst I've ever seen at the conclusion of any national title or championship game, but that's just my opinion.

Ya seen her coach? "Learned it from watching you!!!!" comes to mind.

Absolutely.

People love to hate Mulkey, and I understand why. But I don't recall her ever rubbing opposing players and teams nose in it at the conclusion of games. Especially huge games like that. I've never seen any athlete or coach do that on the national stage, ever. If they have, it's gross.

Absolutely.

People love to hate Mulkey, and I understand why. But I don't recall her ever rubbing opposing players and teams nose in it at the conclusion of games. Especially huge games like that. I've never seen any athlete or coach do that on the national stage, ever. If they have, it's gross.

Buddy, she got on the podium after the S. Carolina game and went full WWE begging for a physical fight. She's had countless temper tantrums on and off the court, berating other officials, tearing into her players....you don't think this boorish behavior trickles down?

Dame Lillard waives "bye bye" to Russell Westbrook after a game winning three and we lionize him. Angel Reese gestures to Caitlin Clark after sealing her game and she's the worst, grossest person in sports. Why is there a double standard here?

Absolutely.

Buddy, she got on the podium after the S. Carolina game and went full WWE begging for a physical fight. She's had countless temper tantrums on and off the court, berating other officials, tearing into her players....you don't think this boorish behavior trickles down?

Dame Lillard waives "bye bye" to Russell Westbrook after a game winning three and we lionize him. Angel Reese gestures to Caitlin Clark after sealing her game and she's the worst, grossest person in sports. Why is there a double standard here?
I'm not familiar with Dame Lillard's act. I think it's gross whenever anyone trash talks after the contest is over because it can't be defended by saying 'I was just trying to get in his head so we'd have a better chance of winning the game'. The game's over...there is literally nothing to be gained by belittling your opponent.

I'm not defending Mulkey. I'm just saying I've never seen any athlete do what Reese did in that context, ever. Saying she 'gestures to Caitlin Clark' is very much underselling what happened. She followed her around on the floor after the game was over. She made a point to do it before celebrating with her teammates or congratulating anyone. There was no edge to be gained by doing that because the game was over and there were no more games to come. There is no double standard at play, because nobody has ever done that before--not in that context, to that extreme. And I don't think she's the grossest person in sports. I'm saying that was the grossest act of sportsmanship I've ever seen when you consider the context.

I'm not defending Mulkey. I'm just saying I've never seen any athlete do what Reese did in that context, ever. Saying she 'gestures to Caitlin Clark' is very much underselling what happened. She followed her around on the floor after the game was over. She made a point to do it before celebrating with her teammates or congratulating anyone. There was no edge to be gained by doing that because the game was over and there were no more games to come. There is no double standard at play, because nobody has ever done that before--not in that context, to that extreme. And I don't think she's the grossest person in sports. I'm saying that was the grossest act of sportsmanship I've ever seen when you consider the context.
:like:

I’m remembering this whole thing differently than you I guess

Absolutely.

I'm not familiar with Dame Lillard's act. I think it's gross whenever anyone trash talks after the contest is over because it can't be defended by saying 'I was just trying to get in his head so we'd have a better chance of winning the game'. The game's over...there is literally nothing to be gained by belittling your opponent.

I mean, we have video footage of Draymond Green kicking guys in the manhood....I'd say that's worse than taunting. But whatever, you've made your points. I just think there's a lot of poor sportsmanship and Angel Reese demonstrated poor sportsmanship in victory. I don't like it, but I haven't lost any sleep over it.

Caitlin Clark wasn't bothered it...

Clark doesn’t agree with any of the criticism thrown toward Reese. On Tuesday, the Iowa guard appeared on SportsCenter, and of course, she was asked about Reese.

“I don’t think Angel should be criticized at all,” said Clark on SportsCenter. “I’m just one that competes, and she competed. I think everybody knew there was going to be a little trash talk in the entire tournament. It’s not just me and Angel.”

She added, “We’re all competitive. We all show our emotions in a different way. You know, Angel is a tremendous, tremendous player. I have nothing but respect for her. I love her game – the way she rebounds the ball, scores the ball, is absolutely incredible. I’m a big fan of her and even the entire LSU team. They played an amazing game.”

While Clarke praised Reese’s game, Clark is also a force on the court. So much so that the Des Moines-raised hooper won this year’s National Player of the Year. However, her Hawkeyes lost in the championship game.

Clark doesn’t agree with any of the criticism thrown toward Reese. On Tuesday, the Iowa guard appeared on SportsCenter, and of course, she was asked about Reese.

“I don’t think Angel should be criticized at all,” said Clark on SportsCenter. “I’m just one that competes, and she competed. I think everybody knew there was going to be a little trash talk in the entire tournament. It’s not just me and Angel.”

She added, “We’re all competitive. We all show our emotions in a different way. You know, Angel is a tremendous, tremendous player. I have nothing but respect for her. I love her game – the way she rebounds the ball, scores the ball, is absolutely incredible. I’m a big fan of her and even the entire LSU team. They played an amazing game.”

While Clarke praised Reese’s game, Clark is also a force on the court. So much so that the Des Moines-raised hooper won this year’s National Player of the Year. However, her Hawkeyes lost in the championship game.
Maybe not. But if she had been bothered by it, there is absolutely no way she could admit to it. That's kind of the point...when you are on the losing end of the contest, you really can't say anything at all or even defend yourself because you look like a whiner. That's why it's on the winner to act with class. Which only emphasizes how classless and gross the maneuver by Reese was. She took rubbing it in to a degree I've never seen before.

You can defend it if you want, we just disagree because I personally have never seen another athlete do that to that extreme in that context. There are likely scenarios where had it been done more often, you'd have seen fists fly and real violence occur. People are built differently, some people are more emotional than others. Reese rubbed it in at moment when her opponent was potentially at her most vulnerable emotionally. Why? What was there to gain for Reese?

Maybe not. But if she had been bothered by it, there is absolutely no way she could admit to it. That's kind of the point...when you are on the losing end of the contest, you really can't say anything at all or even defend yourself because you look like a whiner. That's why it's on the winner to act with class. Which only emphasizes how classless and gross the maneuver by Reese was. She took rubbing it in to a degree I've never seen before.

You can defend it if you want, we just disagree because I personally have never seen another athlete do that to that extreme in that context. There are likely scenarios where had it been done more often, you'd have seen fists fly and real violence occur. People are built differently, some people are more emotional than others. Reese rubbed it in at moment when her opponent was potentially at her most vulnerable emotionally. Why? What was there to gain for Reese?

Certainly not defending it, but I'm not as bothered by it like you or Keith Oberman or Dave Portnoy....there's REAL problems and REAL violence the world that bothers me more than poor sportsmanship and again, Reese doesn't have a monopoly on it.

As for what was there to gain? Uh, clicks? Popularity? Endorsement dollars? NIL deals? No such thing as bad publicity - see Green, Draymond. He's the epitome of a poor (and violent) sport and he's got a podcast and a job waiting for him in the TV booth. So.......

Certainly not defending it, but I'm not as bothered by it like you or Keith Oberman or Dave Portnoy....there's REAL problems and REAL violence the world that bothers me more than poor sportsmanship and again, Reese doesn't have a monopoly on it.

As for what was there to gain? Uh, clicks? Popularity? Endorsement dollars? NIL deals? No such thing as bad publicity - see Green, Draymond. He's the epitome of a poor (and violent) sport and he's got a podcast and a job waiting for him in the TV booth. So.......
One doesn't have to compare it to the real problems of the world to be bothered by it. Of course there are worse things. That's irrelevant. We're talking within the context of viewing sports.

Yes to your 2nd paragraph...which was what I stated at the start of this conversation. Reese gained a ton of brand power for doing that. It's made her a ton of money. It's also the worst sportsmanship I've ever seen on the grand stages of sports. Both these things are true.

One doesn't have to compare it to the real problems of the world to be bothered by it. Of course there are worse things. That's irrelevant. We're talking within the context of viewing sports.

Yes to your 2nd paragraph...which was what I stated at the start of this conversation. Reese gained a ton of brand power for doing that. It's made her a ton of money. It's also the worst sportsmanship I've ever seen on the grand stages of sports. Both these things are true.

Worse than Bill Romanowski spitting in the face of JJ Stokes?

Worse than Bill Romanowski spitting in the face of JJ Stokes?
Had it happened right after the Super Bowl ended, you might have a point. But this is just one of countless examples of someone being an a-hole (and I'm aware Romanowski was responsible for a great many of those examples all by himself).

Users who are viewing this thread