What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Calling all dynasty league commishes (1 Viewer)

oukurt

Footballguy
My league -12 teams /24 man roster/5 man taxi squad for rookies/2nd yr players

In what month do you hold your rookie drafts each year?

Do you allow your owners to expand their rosters over the specified limits during the rookie draft and then have a cutdown date? If not describe what you do.

Is there a need for a veteran draft in the 2nd season or do you just open up waivers on a certain date?

Any suggestions for how to handle offseason activity, rosters, and/or rookie drafts would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

I commish two 10 team dynasty leagues

Rosters are 22 players and have to stay at 22 all year (during season and off)

Draft is a week or two before the NFL season starts

Draft is rookie and FA (add/drop locks after the Superbowl-week 16)

Trading is allowed during off-season.

commish of the Misfits, 10-14 team leagues (7 existing--3 new) made up primarily of FBG's

the new leagues drafting this year will draft 22, then cut to 20 Aug 1st---open FA/waivers after draft, until first week of regular season

existing leagues have 20 man rosters, no Injured Resrve/taxi squad, etc---makes for active waivers each week, as 14 team league juggles 20 man roster

our 2 round rookie draft is Aug 1, where we draft a rookie/drop a vet---waivers are open during this time, but "dropped" vets are off limits...there is a 2 round "re-entry" draft where additional rookies and/or dropped vets are available to be picked up in an orderly manner

after the last selection in the "re-entry" draft, the wire opens back up for all other dropped players

Last edited by a moderator:
commish of the Misfits, 10-14 team leagues (7 existing--3 new) made up primarily of FBG's

the new leagues drafting this year will draft 22, then cut to 20 Aug 1st---open FA/waivers after draft, until first week of regular season

existing leagues have 20 man rosters, no Injured Resrve/taxi squad, etc---makes for active waivers each week, as 14 team league juggles 20 man roster

our 2 round rookie draft is Aug 1, where we draft a rookie/drop a vet---waivers are open during this time, but "dropped" vets are off limits...there is a 2 round "re-entry" draft where additional rookies and/or dropped vets are available to be picked up in an orderly manner

after the last selection in the "re-entry" draft, the wire opens back up for all other dropped players
great leaguesI am in 3 and 5

I commish two 10 team dynasty leagues

Rosters are 22 players and have to stay at 22 all year (during season and off)

Draft is a week or two before the NFL season starts

Draft is rookie and FA (add/drop locks after the Superbowl-week 16)

Trading is allowed during off-season.
:thumbup: 10 team dynasty, roster of 26 players and we have one draft and combine the rooks with the vets. Draft is 10 rounds, then cut 10 a week before the season.

12 team, 25man roster (non-IDP)

4th year dynasty

5 round Rookie/FA draft is the first weekend in June. All teams are over the roster limit after the draft. Roster cuts are due after the last NFL preseason game. Free agency is open immediately after the draft in June.

I commish Fantasy Legends I and II, and we have our draft in May, after the NFL draft, but before the preseason. We don't draft in August, because it's too easy when you know every player's depth chart situation and injury status. Having some risk makes the league more interesting.

FLL - 24 man rosters in-season, 26 man rosters off-season

FLL2 - 22 man rosters in-season, 24 man rosters off-season.

Just for the record, I wish both leagues were 22 man rosters in-season. I think it's the perfect dynasty roster size. I think 20 is too small, and 24 too large.

Do you allow your owners to expand their rosters over the specified limits during the rookie draft and then have a cutdown date? If not describe what you do.

Is there a need for a veteran draft in the 2nd season or do you just open up waivers on a certain date?

Any suggestions for how to handle offseason activity, rosters, and/or rookie drafts would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Hey OUkurt, long time no talk.We hold our rookie draft the first weekend in August every year. This way people know when it is and we all get together for the day and go out that night.

After the rookie draft, we have a waiver pickup period where people can exercise waivers if they choose at that point. Also, our waivers carry over from year to year which works well and requires more strategy when using your waivers. After these two drafts, all teams must cut down to our limit which is 28.

I'm in this league with friends so we also get together for the NFL draft as well and scout the rookies as a group. The winner of our league gets to pick where the draft is held which is a nice incentive. WE have a trophy that's shaped like a cup so the winner gets to drink out of it at the draft. Make it fun like that...that's what I'd suggest.

Allow trading all year and waiver pickups once to twice in the offseason.

I commish two dynasty leagues, both with pretty different rules. One of them is a contract league and the other is pure dynasty. Here's how we handle things in these leagues:

Both of them are held during the last month before the season starts. I think this usually works out to be August.
In the contract league we allow the rosters to expand and there is a cutdown date after the draft. The final roster cutdowns are due at the same time contracts are due.In the pure dynasty league we cutdown before the rookie draft.
In both of my leagues we allow veterans not on a roster to be taken during the rookie draft. Anyone that is not drafted is eligible to be picked up using the normal waiver process, but that usually doesn't start for a few days/weeks after the draft.

Commish of a 10 team 20 man roster Dynasty league entering year 5 with 8 of the original 10 owners active

We do a 5 round rookie/free agent draft. All teams must stay at their 20 man roster limit at all times

To keep interest/acitivity up all summer, the draft dates are as follows:

Round 1 1st Sat in May

Round 2 1st Sat in June

Round 3 1st Sat in July

Round 4 1st Sat in August

Round 5 between last preseason game and first regular season game

The above schedule means that there is trading activity all summer with many draft picks being traded in each round

We also allow the trading of future draft picks of one year into the future (i.e. 2007 draft picks)...if an owner trades a future draft pick they have to put a 50% deposit down on their league fee for that year. That way, if they drop out I can get another owner in on the cheap the first year

There are also some quirks where, due to injuries in preseason, an early 5th round choice can be VERY valuable...more valuable than a early 3rd round choice... makes for interesting strategies...

14 team full IDP dynasty league.

Rosters expand to 65 limit during the offseason, and all taxi squad players & players on IR are placed on regular rosters. No waivers, but trading moratorium lifted immediately after the NFL SB.

* Rookie draft is 1 week after the NFL draft.

* 1st preseason Blind bid FA session on the last weekend of June. Roster cuts to 60 immediately afterwards.

* 2nd preseason Blind bid FA session starts the Tuesday after the first full weekend of NFL preseason games and ends the same week Thursday. Roster cuts to 55 immediately afterwards.

* Roster cuts to 50 after 3rd NFL preseason weekend.

* Regular season FA starts the Tuesday before the first regular season NFL game, with blind bidding from Tuesday AM to Wednesday PM, with first come first serve FA from Thursday AM to kickoff of first game of the week. Active rosters to 45 on the same Tuesday PM.

New 12 team 53 man dynasty league this year, and we'll be drafting our rookie/FA draft starting on day two of the NFL draft until each team has 63 players, then 10 will have to be cut 5 days before the first game of the NFL season. 3 IR spots, but only for players that are actually on IR on their team.

My league is a 12 team 22 man roster dynasty keep all salary cap league.

We actually have a draft day party the Saturday of the NFL draft and submit our draft picks on a message board starting the Monday afterwards.

Our rosters stay at 22 players with 2 IR spots at all times. There is a $5 fee to remove a player from IR.

For the 2nd year only, we cut our rosters down to 10 players and re-drafted 12. This way if someone got screwed they have a chance to pick up some decent players. After the 2nd year it is rookies only. All veterans not on teams must be bid on using a blind bid system staying under the cap.

TIA

I'll be starting up a dynasty league this year also. do you guys do most of the record keeping by hand or do you have a recommendation for somewhere online (yahoo, sportsline, etc.) to track rosters and such?

I'll be starting up a dynasty league this year also. do you guys do most of the record keeping by hand or do you have a recommendation for somewhere online (yahoo, sportsline, etc.) to track rosters and such?
We're with mfl.com and it would take a disaster of epic proportions at the site to get me to change.They handle the blind bidding/FCFS FA sessions with ease, track trades & WW moves easily, keep great history of previous years, and handle our custom partial doubleheader schedule, as well as a very complex scoring system, and we can access year round. Very user friendly (and we've got some really dumb guys in the league ;) ) and now the appearance can be customized also. Price is very competitive with most sites capable of this kind of customization, and beats one very popular site all to hell.

I'm very biased because of how good my experience has been there, but I wouldn't take our league anywhere else.

I am a commish of a 12 man Dynasty league with IDPs and 26 man rosters with two IR slots so its very similiar to the league seeking advice. I decided to break up our rookie/free agent draft along the lines of MashedBannanas.

To keep interest/acitivity up all summer, the draft dates are as follows:Round 1 1st Sat in MayRound 2 1st Sat in JuneRound 3 1st Sat in JulyRound 4 1st Sat in AugustRound 5 between last preseason game and first regular season gameThe above schedule means that there is trading activity all summer with many draft picks being traded in each round
But our draft is only four rounds long and in that format the choice talent is gone within the first two rounds so I broke out the first two rounds to be drafted the first week of June but the last two rounds after two preseason games have taken place where sleepers can develop in training camp and the first two preseason games with the intention of maintaining interest during the summer as Mashed states. I just pitched the idea last week and everyone loves it so I suggest something along the lines of what Mashed or my league does where you break up the draft to peek interest during the doldrums.Cheers :banned:

My dynasty league is 12 teams, 20 man working roster, 2 rookie taxi squad, 2 man IR. Going into year 4. No contract system or salary cap, i.e. pure dynasty.

We have our championship game in week 16, then allow one week of offseason free agency prior to the week 17 games. After that, free agents are off limits for the veteran draft in mid-late August.

Owners can enter the offseason (after week 17) with up to 24 players if they have their working roster, taxi squad and IR all filled. Actually the IR rules are relaxed for week 17, so there's no reason for anyone not to enter the offseason with 24 players. Owners can then exceed that number during the offseason to accommodate trades (but not through adding free agents). Our offseason trading begins after the Super Bowl, sometime in mid-February. Owners are allowed to trade draft picks up to one year in advance (e.g. 2007 draft picks during this offseason).

We have 2 drafts, one for rookies starting on August 15 and the veteran draft following a few days after the conclusion of the 3 round rookie draft. The vet draft is how ever many rounds are needed for each team to reach 22 players (assumed 20 for working roster and 2 rookies for taxi squad). All drafts are slow draft method. We have a cut down day several days before the rookie draft starts, and owners must get below 22 players at that time in order to make their rookie selections. All picks in the rookie draft are optional, but there is no reason not to make all your rookie selections. Once the rookie draft is complete, owners have a 24 hour period to cut additional players if they wish to have more vet draft picks. Our rookie order is set inversely from league finish the previous season, and order is same for each round (except that we have a trash playoff system for non-playoff teams for the first overall pick only; otherwise, all picks are set worst to first record). Vet order is set based on how many players are needed for each team to fill its roster (team with fewest players after rookie draft picks first), with ties broken by previous year's league finish. Free agency opens a few days after the vet draft is complete, and owners can start to utilize their IR at that time if they have players eligible for it.

Truthfully, you can make a case for not having a vet draft if you don't have a contract system or salary cap. The talent level is only waiver wire material with pure dynasty, so you can just choose to go straight to free agency if you want. It's a bit more orderly though to have a vet draft so you don't have 10 teams scrambling all at once to fill out their roster. Guess you can use a waiver order in that case, but then might as well just have a vet draft because it will end up working out the same.

As for why to have the rookie draft as late as possible rather than say in May; in a league where the only real way to tool your roster is through the rookie draft, best to make sure the weaker teams that "earned" the highest rookie picks have as much opportunity to assess their place on the depth chart and what their opportunity is going to be with their new team. Some will say the earlier the draft is, the more opportunity for the sharks to separate themselves from the guppies, but that also opens the door for longer rebuilding projects, more rundown franchises, and more chance for weak owners to abandon ship and leave a league behind scrambling for new ownership for unattractive franchises. And that's not a good situation for any dynasty league.

do you guys do most of the record keeping by hand
With respect, this is a recipe for disaster. Backbreaking, grindingly tedious work, potential for mistakes leading to confusion and conflict... this is not the road to go down. Just get a league site, on for exampe MFL.com. It works out at about $6 per team in a 12 team league. Get the guys to pay you by paypal, and hey presto.

With respect, this is a recipe for disaster. Backbreaking, grindingly tedious work, potential for mistakes leading to confusion and conflict... this is not the road to go down. Just get a league site, on for exampe MFL.com. It works out at about $6 per team in a 12 team league. Get the guys to pay you by paypal, and hey presto.
That's what I figured but I had no idea if any decent pay sites offered something good. Both you and Pony Boy mentioned MFL.com, you both meant NFL.com, right? Or did you mean something with those initials like MyFantasyLeague?

My Fantasy League Com. is by far best website for dynasty leagues.

http://www.myfantasyleague.com/

I have my opinions of better sites for other type of leagues though!

Depending on the type!

My 14 Dynasty leagues carry 20 with 1 IR slot. Rookie draft every August. 1st! Must cut down to 19 for every rookie pick! Any thing more then this pretty much DELETES FA pool IMO.

That's what I figured but I had no idea if any decent pay sites offered something good. Both you and Pony Boy mentioned MFL.com, you both meant NFL.com, right? Or did you mean something with those initials like MyFantasyLeague?
99.99% sure these guys meant myfantasyleague.com

mfl.com = myfantasyleague.com

I run a 12 team Contract Dynasty league. Each player is assigned a contract between 1 & 4 years.

In season 22 man Active Roster, 2 Development Squad players

Off season, no limits until May 14th, when you have to cut down your active roster to 14 players under contract and also have to sign your DS players or cut them.

6 round draft starts in June, online and last a few weeks. Rookies and FA's.

Week before season starts, all Rookies/FA drafted must be signed to a contract or cut.

Trading is allowed anytime (except during our playoffs).

We use Xpert Sports for our league. Great site, easy to use, great support staff.

http://www.xpertsports.com

Users who are viewing this thread