What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Calling Foul (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davej626

5.56 solves all
Okay, I know that I am a Pat’s fan and all, but WTH? In todays email Joe and Co. have ranked the passing matchups. Pats vs Pitt secondary as a tough matchup while Pitt vs NE secondary a neutral matchup? How can you justify that? And I am only talking about Offense vs a secondary here. Last week the Pats secondary shut down Manning and Co. and all of their weapons. They kept the highest-flying offense in the league to three points. They did this with a ‘patchwork’ secondary. Now, going into Pittsburgh, they are going to be playing a running team that occasionally passes. Granted, that will probably mean more one on one as Harrison and Wilson are in run support more. But if the corners can cover Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, AND Stoakley, shouldn’t they be able to cover Plax and Ward? I also realize that it was a lot of scheme and not so much one on one like it should be this week. But did anyone on the staff watch the Pitt/Jets game last week? Did you see what the Jets did to Roesth? They shut him down so hard that his teammates are coming out publicly telling him that he needs to bring his best game this week. Does the staff feel that Ben will be able to be better against the Pats than he was against the Jets? In his last five games he is 4TDs and 5 Ints. Not exactly lighting it up lately. But, again, against the team that shut down Indy, you feel that this is a “Neutral” matchup? I don’t see it. And that’s not even going into the Pat’s “Tough” grade. Can you explain what a “Neutral” matchup should mean as far as a stat line is? For example an excellent matchup, to me, would be 350yds, 3tds. Does a neutral equal 200yds, and 2tds? TIA.

Does a neutral equal 200yds, and 2tds?
No. That would be 3,200 yards and 32 TDs over the course of a season, a level reached by only 3 QBs this past year.
They did this with a ‘patchwork’ secondary. Now, going into Pittsburgh, they are going to be playing a running team that occasionally passes. Granted, that will probably mean more one on one as Harrison and Wilson are in run support more.
You already wrote part of the answer to your question.
Does the staff feel that Ben will be able to be better against the Pats than he was against the Jets?
Well, he did already beat them once.No one is saying that Ben is going to have a great game. I think a neutral matchup means that neither side is favored, which in this case is a very easy argument to make.Colin

Haha, right after I read that in email I replied to Joe and told him I feel sorry for the amount of mail that's going to generate from the unhappy Pats nation.

i see 2 things that pittsburgh's passing game can use to take advantage of the pats weakness in the secondary that indy couldnt:1) plax's height2) ben's ability to make plays when the pocket breaks down. a weak CB might be able to cover a good WR for 3-5 seconds, but if the QB escapes the rush, that gives the WR another 3 seconds to get open, which is where the weakness can get exposed.

i see 2 things that pittsburgh's passing game can use to take advantage of the pats weakness in the secondary that indy couldnt:1) plax's height2) ben's ability to make plays when the pocket breaks down. a weak CB might be able to cover a good WR for 3-5 seconds, but if the QB escapes the rush, that gives the WR another 3 seconds to get open, which is where the weakness can get exposed.
Well, that and the fact that the Pats won't realistically have the option of keeping their safeties back to mess with crossing routes or deep routes like they could against the passing-oriented Colts. If they keep only 7 in the box, the Steelers' will run on them all day.Everyone - Pats fans, Steelers fans, coaches and players on both sides, media - acknowledges that this week's defensive strategy against the Steelers will be nothing like it was against the Colts.

Thanks for replying Colin. I'm not trying to stir the pot, I am just trying to understand this.

They did this with a ‘patchwork’ secondary. Now, going into Pittsburgh, they are going to be playing a running team that occasionally passes. Granted, that will probably mean more one on one as Harrison and Wilson are in run support more.
You already wrote part of the answer to your question.
So, the staff believes that with Harrison and Wilson closer to the line, that gives Ben an advantage in the passing game? Okay, I can see that. But then why isn't Brady getting the same consideration when Pitt tries to stop Dillon?
Does the staff feel that Ben will be able to be better against the Pats than he was against the Jets?
Well, he did already beat them once.No one is saying that Ben is going to have a great game. I think a neutral matchup means that neither side is favored, which in this case is a very easy argument to make.Colin
If this is true, then how is Brady and the Pats considered a 'tough' matchup? Both defenses will have to stop a good rb and cover the field. Yet the Pats get a Tough while Pitt gets a Neutral? By the way, its not "Disrespect", but a question. Sorry if questions offend Frenchy and other Steeler fans. Would hate to do that...After all we are just whiny tools.

Well, that and the fact that the Pats won't realistically have the option of keeping their safeties back to mess with crossing routes or deep routes like they could against the passing-oriented Colts. If they keep only 7 in the box, the Steelers' will run on them all day.Everyone - Pats fans, Steelers fans, coaches and players on both sides, media - acknowledges that this week's defensive strategy against the Steelers will be nothing like it was against the Colts.
In fact, Belichick said in his press conference that if they used the same game plan for the Steelers that they used against the Colts last week, the Patriots would lose 50-0.I think the comments about the matchups are pretty much dead on.

i see plax being able to make catches over double coverage deep where wayne/stokley/harrison couldnt.i see the pats messing with ward and randle-el so that the original route is not open, but once ben scrambles, they find a way to get free.but you and colin are totally on point - the fact that the safeties have to help out on the run is the biggest factor in the pats secondary inexperience may get exposed vs. PIT when they werent vs. IND.

And everyone wonders why PAT fans are known as :cry: toolsKeep it up buddy that dynasty controversy should be all done I'd say about ohhh 10pm Eastern on Sunday with your Hero Brady planning his golf seasonEDIT TO ADD::stillers::stillers::stillers::stillers:

Last edited by a moderator:
And everyone wonders why PAT fans are known as :cry: toolsKeep it up buddy that dynasty controversy should be all done I'd say about ohhh 10pm Eastern on Sunday with your Hero Brady planning his golf seasonEDIT TO ADD::stillers::stillers::stillers::stillers:
So we can't ask questions now? Nice. :rolleyes:And we'll see who is playing golf on Monday. The guy that hasn't lost a regular season game, or the guy that hasn't lost a playoff game? We'll see.

So, the staff believes that with Harrison and Wilson closer to the line, that gives Ben an advantage in the passing game? Okay, I can see that. But then why isn't Brady getting the same consideration when Pitt tries to stop Dillon?
While its a subjective question/answer, the idea is that the NE DBs will have more trouble with Burress and WArd in coverage than the PItt DBs will have with the Pats WRs.Pitt has shown itself to be absolutely merciless against the run this year. They've allowed 20 yards less per game and .3 ypc less than NE. Also, in pass D, they've given up 35 fewer yards per game. THe margin is thin, but statistically, the Pitt D is better in both equations.COlin

I love all this BRADY ICON talkNewsflash: All of Brady's playoff games have been at home or at a neutral siteThe real test is this Sunday - first road playoff gameIs that the sound of pressure building up ?? Let's see Mr Clutch this weekendMUHAHAHAA!!:stillers:

I love all this BRADY ICON talkNewsflash: All of Brady's playoff games have been at home or at a neutral siteThe real test is this Sunday - first road playoff gameIs that the sound of pressure building up ?? Let's see Mr Clutch this weekendMUHAHAHAA!!:stillers:
steeler fan here and I can personally tell you that not all of Brady's wins have been at home. Unfortunately I know this all too well......

steeler fan here and I can personally tell you that not all of Brady's wins have been at home. Unfortunately I know this all too well......
yeah but bledsoe made the big drive in the 2001 afc title game, not brady.

Thats was Bledsoe

While its a subjective question/answer, the idea is that the NE DBs will have more trouble with Burress and WArd in coverage than the PItt DBs will have with the Pats WRs.Pitt has shown itself to be absolutely merciless against the run this year. They've allowed 20 yards less per game and .3 ypc less than NE. Also, in pass D, they've given up 35 fewer yards per game. THe margin is thin, but statistically, the Pitt D is better in both equations.COlin
While I agree with you Colin, I posted earlier in the week how the Pitt D has also faced some of the worst passing teams in the league this season.

While I agree with you Colin, I posted earlier in the week how the Pitt D has also faced some of the worst passing teams in the league this season.
Agree. But some of that is "chicken or the egg". Not all, but some.COlin

Agree. But some of that is "chicken or the egg". Not all, but some.COlin
Well, does the chicken account for more than 1/16 of the egg? :D

Thanks again Colin. I guess we'll wait until Sunday night to see which of us are more correct.
I'm not making the prediction, just trying to explain Joe's analysis. Frankly, even though I can't stand the Pats almost as much as I can't stand the Red Sox, I'm not picking against them this week.Colin

Thanks again Colin. I guess we'll wait until Sunday night to see which of us are more correct.
I'm not making the prediction, just trying to explain Joe's analysis. Frankly, even though I can't stand the Pats almost as much as I can't stand the Red Sox, I'm not picking against them this week.Colin
I am :stillers:

1) Thank God I don't get those emails..... they've grown from solid informative shout outs to 20% solid info and 80% fluff. 2) Why, as a Pats fan, would you care what someone thinks of the matchups. These are Joe's moderately biased opinion of what the matchups will be like. Frankly, I tend to agree with him a bit on the Pitt Passing vs NE Secondary analaysis as tough for NE.... which is why NE has to key on the source (Ben) and not the coverage..... follow the Jets' example and make the rookie play like one. Quit worrying about Joe's opinions... the guy has a solid football mind but his word is far from gospel and his opinion will have no impact on what will happen on the field Sunday. Everyone knows Dodds is the real brains behind this operation anyways :D (kidding joe)

Any secondary with Hank Poteat is suspect.
Unless the Steelers are planning on running some 4-5 wide formations, you won't see all that much of Poteat on Sunday.Sorry to disappoint you.

Didn't you predict a Colts win? :rotflmao:

Didn't you predict a Colts win? :rotflmao:
GENIUS!

I'd like to state the obvious, that not everyone who uses the :stillers: smiley is a naturalized citizen of the Steelers Nation. Simply being a Pats hater does not grant you access.

I'd like to state the obvious, that not everyone who uses the :stillers: smiley is a naturalized citizen of the Steelers Nation. Simply being a Pats hater does not grant you access.
:stillers: :stillers: :stillers: :stillers:

In fact, Belichick said in his press conference that if they used the same game plan for the Steelers that they used against the Colts last week, the Patriots would lose 50-0.I think the comments about the matchups are pretty much dead on.
Actually this is totally incorrect............BB said 55-0, not 50-0 :rolleyes: :D

Being from a non NFL city I am allowed to cheer for who ever I wantI choose to cheer for :stillers: since I got into this FF thingsThe Colts should have won but they didn'tI hope the Steelers win - they are a great team and are deserved so.LETS GO STEELERS :stillers:

Being from a non NFL city I am allowed to cheer for who ever I wantI choose to cheer for :stillers: since I got into this FF thingsThe Colts should have won but they didn'tI hope the Steelers win - they are a great team and are deserved so.LETS GO STEELERS :stillers:
MacDaddy = kiss o' Death?

:angry:

Now all we need is TenTimes to come out in support of the Steelers and this will be a lock :yes:

I will have you know that I haven't predicted any of the Conference Champ games correctly since Baltimore got to the Super Bowl.I'm picking Pats and Eagles. :D

I will have you know that I haven't predicted any of the Conference Champ games correctly since Baltimore got to the Super Bowl.I'm picking Pats and Eagles. :D
:thumbup: :stillers:
TenTimes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Colin.I actually made a deal with TenTimes and loaned my sig to him so he would pick the Yankees in the ALCS. Now you know the full extent of TenTimes's power. He has an awsome ability that he may someday be able to control.Maybe I should drop him a PM and ask him to stop by. :devil:

As long as you don't Sig Bet on it, The Pats should be fine..

You wish I was the kiss of deathI'll tell you what the kiss of death is - all these PAT fans hyping Brady and Belichek as second comings.That Dynasty crap goes down the :toilet: this Sunday - I'll be there to laugh my ### off as the world proclaims Ben Roethlisberger as the "new" Mr. ClutchEDIT TO ADD::stillers::stillers::stillers:

There's an opportunity here for a parody e-mail.

Patriot's Defense vs. Hurricane Ivan ==> Overwhelming Advantage Patriots

Patriot's Quarterback vs. Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse ==> Gargantuan Advantage Patriots

Patriot's Special Teams vs. the Deathstar ==> Slight Advantage Patriots

Patriot's Receivers vs. the Grim Reaper ==> Huge Advantage Patriots

[wt]

Slight advantage? Special teams have only a slight advantage against the Deathstar? Are you kidding me? What has the Deathstar ever done to impress anyone? For crying out loud, Ewok's could dominate the Deathstar and we only get a "slight" advantage.

:hot:

What the hell do the Patriots have to do to earn some respect?

[/wt]

I'm just sayin'...

You wish I was the kiss of deathI'll tell you what the kiss of death is - all these PAT fans hyping Brady and Belichek as second comings.That Dynasty crap goes down the :toilet: this Sunday - I'll be there to laugh my ### off as the world proclaims Ben Roethlisberger as the "new" Mr. ClutchEDIT TO ADD::stillers::stillers::stillers:
Are there any real steelers fans who actually claim this guy? It's amusing how the most annoying Steelers "fan" insn't even really a fan of the team.... reminds me of that Smack Tripper tool during the Sox/Yankees series.....

There's an opportunity here for a parody e-mail.

Patriot's Defense vs. Hurricane Ivan ==> Overwhelming Advantage Patriots

Patriot's Quarterback vs. Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse ==> Gargantuan Advantage Patriots

Patriot's Special Teams vs. the Deathstar ==> Slight Advantage Patriots

Patriot's Receivers vs. the Grim Reaper ==> Huge Advantage Patriots

[wt]

Slight advantage? Special teams have only a slight advantage against the Deathstar? Are you kidding me? What has the Deathstar ever done to impress anyone? For crying out loud, Ewok's could dominate the Deathstar and we only get a "slight" advantage.

:hot:

What the hell do the Patriots have to do to earn some respect?

[/wt]

I'm just sayin'...
FYI I, as well as several other pats fans, stuck up for Joe's writeupOne whiny tool does not a fanbase make ;)

,Jan 20 2005, 03:05 PM]

Are there any real steelers fans who actually claim this guy? It's amusing how the most annoying Steelers "fan" insn't even really a fan of the team.... reminds me of that Smack Tripper tool during the Sox/Yankees series.....
You think that the Steeler faithful does not claim Roethlisberger ??He is a steeler for life my friend :stillers:He'll be in the clutch this Sunday - as Brady sits by helpleslyRoeth will be 10x the QB Mr Tom could ever hope to be

,Jan 20 2005, 03:05 PM]

You think that the Steeler faithful does not claim Roethlisberger ??He is a steeler for life my friend :stillers:He'll be in the clutch this Sunday - as Brady sits by helpleslyRoeth will be 10x the QB Mr Tom could ever hope to be
I was talking about you dip#### :rotflmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread