What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (1 Viewer)

Anyone have any luck being in a 2 year contract after the first year is up?  I had to sign it last year when I got the 4k receiver box.  I have a feeling I'll be screwed this year and not get the discounts I'm accustomed to.  It's been more difficult each passing year.

Yeah, I feel like Apple will probably charge full price whereas there's a chance that Amazon just makes it a Prime freebie or maybe a small addon price for Prime+ or something.
I hope you're right for those with Prime who want the Ticket, but Amazon (or whoever) is going to have to pay a gazillion dollars for this. I'm thinking the add-on for it won't be discounted all that much.

I hope you're right for those with Prime who want the Ticket, but Amazon (or whoever) is going to have to pay a gazillion dollars for this. I'm thinking the add-on for it won't be discounted all that much.
Apparently it isn't there's some kind of agreement with Fox/CBS that these stations can't add it to their packages and the price has to remain around where it is $300+

I just want the option to purchase the redzone only channel, which I never had with DTV.  I was always given Sunday Ticket Max for saying I'd leave.

Verizon Fios, has it as a stand alone option I believe.

Mailed back all of the directv hardware today. 

I have had youtube tv all week and I love it.  My bill is lower than anything I ever got from directv and I have redzone.  Never going back and never doing the dance again.   
Did the same in a circuitous way. Would do the all too often dance when the bill went up until they wouldn't play anymore. Then did the same with Cox until they wouldn't play anymore. Went to YTTV for good at the start of the year and now my internet bill+YTTV is lower than what my Direct or Cox cable bill was. And if I can ever get 5G@home the bill will be even a little lower. Nice thing about YTTV is I can take it with me anywhere on my phone/laptop.

In case anyone still does play the dance. 

last August 2021 I accepted $105.34 a month, Sunday Ticket Max and a $200 GC 

Just got an email saying 8/7 my bill is $132.71 ($59.01 credits Expires 8/2)

and 9/7 my Bill is like $175 once the full proration of credits dissolve. 

What complicates the matter is in December 2021 I added on a 4K TV receiver so I’m technically in contract till Dec 2023 ($170 early termination) 

I was offered $50 off after him magically finding it.  My bill would be $122-125 then. I said no. Set a cancelation date for 8/3. 

Will call Winback or hope they call me before or after that date.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Called and got $70 off my bill for the next 12 months (no contract) with Sunday Ticket Max and Cinemax for 3 months thrown in free. Didn't even ask about the visa gift card...just didn't care 
We’re you in disconnect status? When did your credits run out? What number? 

Did the same in a circuitous way. Would do the all too often dance when the bill went up until they wouldn't play anymore. Then did the same with Cox until they wouldn't play anymore. Went to YTTV for good at the start of the year and now my internet bill+YTTV is lower than what my Direct or Cox cable bill was. And if I can ever get 5G@home the bill will be even a little lower. Nice thing about YTTV is I can take it with me anywhere on my phone/laptop.
Question: The only channels that looks like it’s missing on. YouTube is Ion, NHLN, Lifetime, A&E, Fuse, MSG, YES. I’m sure I could find a work around with MSG for hockey games with a family members log in etc.  How is the 4K package? I’d want to make sure 4K looks good? Any equipment? 

We’re you in disconnect status? When did your credits run out? What number? 
I've used all that before (numbers provided here) but basically I just called main number, said at the voice prompt "disconnect" and then told them I wasn't paying $170 for my DT anymore, that we have several streaming services. I didn't have any credits, as they ran out the month before. So I got 12 months at $70 off and then I said I would stay with them only if I could get ST Max for me, and some movie channels for my wife. That was it. I've been with them for a loong time. 

It's that time of year again... and it will be really curious to see how the dance goes this year.  With ST going away, you would think DTV has a higher incentive this year to keep us subscribed.

If you get a deal please mention how long you've been a subscriber, your current package - including 4K, any negotiating tactics or special numbers you called and the deal you got.  

Question: The only channels that looks like it’s missing on. YouTube is Ion, NHLN, Lifetime, A&E, Fuse, MSG, YES. I’m sure I could find a work around with MSG for hockey games with a family members log in etc.  How is the 4K package? I’d want to make sure 4K looks good? Any equipment? 
Though I have a 4k TV and a 4k Fire Stick I'm too cheap to pay for the 4k add-on. Reviews/articles say it looks really good though. No extra equipment as long as you have a compatible device already, i.e. a 4k Fire Stick.

I've used all that before (numbers provided here) but basically I just called main number, said at the voice prompt "disconnect" and then told them I wasn't paying $170 for my DT anymore, that we have several streaming services. I didn't have any credits, as they ran out the month before. So I got 12 months at $70 off and then I said I would stay with them only if I could get ST Max for me, and some movie channels for my wife. That was it. I've been with them for a loong time. 
That’s all I want. Don’t want to play the dance.  My credits expire 8/2. My disconnect is 8/3. 

All Winback has is $50 and $100 GC right now. I called them and tried saying I was told to call them because I’m in disconnect.  I have to wait till they all roll off. 

Though I have a 4k TV and a 4k Fire Stick I'm too cheap to pay for the 4k add-on. Reviews/articles say it looks really good though. No extra equipment as long as you have a compatible device already, i.e. a 4k Fire Stick.
I only have a 4K TV, I’d need a device too? Right now my 4K hdmi cord goes from TV to DTV 4K box. 

I only have a 4K TV, I’d need a device too? Right now my 4K hdmi cord goes from TV to DTV 4K box. 
If your TV is a smart TV with Roku (I think) or Android it should work according to this list. My TV runs the Roku s/w but I use a Fire Stick through my home theater receiver.

4K smart TVs running Android TV

Smart TVs from Samsung, LG, and Hisense, from 2016 or newer

Chromecast with Google TV

4K Roku streaming players

Apple TV 4K (2021)

PlayStation 4 Pro

Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K

Nvidia Shield

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/youtube-tv-4k-explainer/

You can get a 4k Fire Stick for ~$50. Plug that in right where your HDMI cable is now and away you go.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your TV is a smart TV with Roku (I think) or Android it should work according to this list. My TV runs the Roku s/w but I use a Fire Stick through my home theater receiver.

4K smart TVs running Android TV

Smart TVs from Samsung, LG, and Hisense, from 2016 or newer

Chromecast with Google TV

4K Roku streaming players

Apple TV 4K (2021)

PlayStation 4 Pro

Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K

Nvidia Shield

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/youtube-tv-4k-explainer/

You can get a 4k Fire Stick for ~$50. Plug that in right where your HDMI cable is now and away you go.
I have a newer Samsung 4K.  I think I should be good possibly. 

Ideally want to make it one more year with DTV.  

Called Winback - Said I got a call - even though my credits expire 8/2 and my cancelation was 8/3

I normally pay $105.34 a month.  I accepted $55.01 off a month (was $54.01) New total, $113.34 a month.  $100 Visa Gift Card, Sunday Ticket Max and a $50.00 one time credit.  

Done with it another year.  Really wanted the bill the same or lower, but can officially move wherever STM is next year. Potentially Youtube TV, when next year it'll be very competitive for services I'm hoping.

Called looking for nothing more than a bill that remained constant and Sunday Ticket Max. Called 1-800-DIRECTV, said "cancel", got a nice rep, and told her I wanted my bill to stay the same and Sunday Ticket.

She said Sunday Ticket Max was no problem and offered $55 off per month for 12 months (same discount I had last year). Took the deal, confirmed the changes on the website, happy customer. Could I have gotten more? Maybe, but I'm a simple man with simple needs.

Has no one else done the annual dance yet this year?

My discounts expire on Monday, so I will be sure to call in and disconnect/reconnect to get the free Sunday Ticket Max, programming discounts and VISA gift card. Those come in handy at total wine ;)

Going to be kind of weird since this is the last year DTV will have the Ticket...the swan song of this epic thread!

Actually canceled outright a few months ago and just let it go. Called Winback just now and got the standard offer of $100/mo. for Choice package, NFL ST Max free, $100 GC but they said I'd need to enter a 24 mo. contract. I said if you can do it w/o the contract it's a deal and the guy who sounded like one of their call center offshore reps said that's all he can do. I know that's nonsense based on prior dealings so I'll just call back again shortly. With NFL ST going away from DTV exclusively after this year, I don't want to tie myself up for two years.

welp ...I started the process again yesterday. I was on hold for 32 minutes.

my discounts rolled off today - have $47 off Choice pkg, $14.99 off HBO - both 12 months, also got ST and $100 GC last year.

guy said he couldn't offer me anything, but he would extend those credits for another month and to call back a couple days before billing next month and the "system" should have discounts to offer at that time.

I took it - and will do again next month - wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

I called the 1800 DIRECTV number, said i wanted to cancel, got a rep right away who offered me $20 off per month, said no, and scheduled a termination date. The next day, they called with an offer ($55 off per month, all movie channels free for 3 months, HBO free for a year, ST, and $100 gift card). Good enough for me.

I did the usual dance today and it went as expected with zero resistance:

XTRA (all included) $82
($67 off per month for 12 months)

XTRA (all included) $25 off with AT&T Unlimited
Video Loyalty Credit

Free CineMax, Starz, Showtime, Epix for 3 months

Free Sunday Ticket Max

$100 VISA Gift Card

XTRA (all included) $82

Video Loyalty Credit

Free Sunday Ticket Max

$100 VISA Gift Card

What number did you call?
It’s time for me to do this dance and I want to copy your moves.

XTRA (all included) $82

Video Loyalty Credit

Free Sunday Ticket Max

$100 VISA Gift Card

Sure here is the winback number I called - 888-333-0804.

Good luck!

Just talked to Winback again and agreed to:

- $60 off Choice for 12 months
- Free Sunday Ticket Max
- Free 4K equipment upgrade
- Free movie channels for 3 months
- $100 Visa GC

We had to finagle it differently this year and make my wife the primary account holder, which we could care less about. So they basically did it as a new account and waived all equipment and installation fees.

Just when I thought I was out...THEY PULL ME BACK IN!

- Free Sunday Ticket Max
- $100 Visa GC

We had to finagle it differently this year and make my wife the primary account holder, which we could care less about. So they basically did it as a new account and waived all equipment and installation fees.

Well done!

Haven't done this in a while and got lazy. My last round of credits ended in January. Can I just call the winback number or do I need to actually cancel first?

Normally the answer is you say cancel and set a cancellation date and then call winback the next day. I haven’t had to actually disconnect in a while usually the pending status gets you there.

Surprise surprise, the deal that was promised was all messed up. Another 45 minute call but it looks like they adjusted my account and its corrected. We'll see next month.

- Free Sunday Ticket Max
- $100 Visa GC

I got my bill this morning and noticed that after 27 years they didn't even have the Sunday Ticket on my account.

Called in to the regular number, 855.708.0243, said I wanted it for free, First guy said he couldn't help, I asked how I could get it and he offered to transfer me to Loyalty. All I told Loyalty I've been getting it for free for a number of years and wanted it again.

He didn't blink, said OK and THEN gave me the same $60 off for 12 months. The whole call was less than 20 minutes.

In all the years I've been doing the dance, this might have been the easiest. I've never been offered the $100 Visa GF and I was happy for what I got...

ETA: I got the 4K added last year. It's basically just two channels and if you have the Homeserver you need to have a direct cable connection - the box doesn't work with WiFi. I can't remember if I locked into a 2-year agreement - but I didn't even threaten to leave this year...

Last edited:
hulu live +++ for $70 a month may make this call very easy this year and needs to be sweet or cancel.

That hulu package is the best I have seen around and I dont think its close

Called 800 number said, "cancel" Got a rep and said that we stream a lot and my wife wants to cancel, but I love ST. She said that I need to keep the wife happy. 60 bucks off for 12 months and free ST.

My wife pointed out that I live to get ST free each year, but next season EVERYONE IS PAYING FULL PRICE.

XTRA (all included) $82

Video Loyalty Credit

Free Sunday Ticket Max

$100 VISA Gift Card

Good luck!
So I just called and got a disconnect date today. Can I call winback later today? Is that too soon? Are they available on Saturdays. I probably should have dealt with this earlier, but I put it off for too long.

What's the latest on next season's Sunday Ticket?
One thing I've read is that they expect whoever wins the deal will provide single game and season by team options. I hope so.
I just hope it isn't Apple, since that's one I don't currently subscribe to.

XTRA (all included) $82

Video Loyalty Credit

Free Sunday Ticket Max

$100 VISA Gift Card

Good luck!
So I just called and got a disconnect date today. Can I call winback later today? Is that too soon? Are they available on Saturdays. I probably should have dealt with this earlier, but I put it off for too long.
So I called winback today and they just gave me free ST Max, $60 off per month and $100 visa gift card. They just offered that right off the bat. It was good enough for me and so I just took it instead of trying to squeeze out a bit more.

It looks like the last time I'll have to play this game. I definitely won't miss it.

I spent two hours on the phone with them yesterday. What a colossal waste of time. I got $70 off / month for a year because they were unable to get me a service call until 9/'27. It's stupidly hard to delete old receivers from your account. "We need the serial number." "I threw it away." "Well, we can't remove it without the serial number." :hot:

I called several times but was told no deals were available because I was under contact. My last day under contact was today and I set that as my disconnect day.
I called winback today and they still couldn’t find any deals as my contract wasn’t over. He credited my entire October bill and gave me free ST to tide me over until I can call in October for deals.
In retrospect I should have called tomorrow after I was disconnected.

hulu live +++ for $70 a month may make this call very easy this year and needs to be sweet or cancel.

That hulu package is the best I have seen around and I dont think its close
Seems like a lot. That would be upwards of 120 or more counting the cost of internet. What does it include?

meh, all I could get was ST and $40 off (instead the $60 I got last year and a GC), but I didn't quit the service and have to wait a week to "be out of their system" as an existing customer.

just too much hassle - what a crappy business model - ugh

meh, all I could get was ST and $40 off (instead the $60 I got last year and a GC), but I didn't quit the service and have to wait a week to "be out of their system" as an existing customer.

just too much hassle - what a crappy business model - ugh
:lmao: that you guys are still doing this. I've had YT TV for 2 years now. Can watch it anywhere on any device. Could not do that with DTV. I add Red Zone for $10/mo and then cancel when season is over.

$54 monthly discount ended on my Xtra package. New bill is $183 for Xtra on 3 TVs and HBO Max. They already automatically gave me Sunday Ticket Max for the year.

Called up today and offered $40 off a month for 12 months and $5 off a month for 3 months for HBO Max.

That was the best they could do. I told them still too expensive. Have to pay one month at the new rate and disconnect set for Oct 19. Will do the disconnect and call back. If they had given me the same $54 credit with my existing Sunday Ticket I probably would have kept it, even though prices have crept up.

Truth is we have most of the streaming packages already and don't watch much direcTV. I need it for the NFL and do watch a few new shows as they come out but most make it to a streamer eventually. I do also get into some cable news from time to time.

Gives me a little time to research some alternatives. Most likely I'll stay one more year though because of the Ticket. I would think at the very least I'd get the same $40 off winback offer but who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread