What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you sit the "STUD" Bulger? (1 Viewer)

Big Fat Clemenza

Footballguy
Just got the prelim Cheatsheets and Bulger is ranked number 2 overall...I can't help but think he might be held in check. The Over/Under is a high 51, but the Colts are favored by 13.5.I try to play by two rules...ALWAYS start your studs.ALWAYS trust the Vegas Odds Makers.In this case, since they are at odds, I think the Odds Makers win. I think Bulger has a sub-par game. I think there are a number of better plays than Bulger. Bledsoe against that horendus Giants D. Collins against that soft SD D. Maybe even Delhomme against Detroit and Hasslebeck against Houston. Bledsoe and Collins have favorable Over/Unders (Around 50 points), so those two stand out...And Detroit and Houston SUCK, so Delhomme and Hasslebeck stand-out.Personally, I've got Manning ranked as number one this week (Although they might try to run the ball a lot to keep Bulger off the field.) and then Bledsoe and Collins. Followed by Delhomme and Hasslebeck.If you have one of those guys, especially Bledsoe and Collins, because their Over/unders are SO favorable, do you bench the "Stud" Bulger (Who has an unfavorable Over/Under)? I think so. :bag:

depends on your backup.I am not sitting him in any of the three leagues I own him - though that Indy pass rush and the amount of hits BUlger's been taking recently scares the heck out of me.

I have Bulger in 3 leagues, he's getting benched in one - I'm even trying to trade him this week.My backup in that league is ELI! :)

He'll be attempting 50+ passes, I don't care who he's playing, when you throw that much you will put up stats.
What he said :thumbup: I will start Bulger every week until he is injured.

Bledsoe will sit this week...

The O/U for the Rams-Colts game is at 51 right now. That's very high for a NFL game. If you're going to go with the trust Vegas theory, then play Bulger. Unless you think the Colts are winning this game 41-10. The spread is at 13.5-14 points. So using that spread and the total, the score should be somewhere along the lines of 35-21 or something like that. There's more then enough room for Bulger to have a decent fantasy day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reasons as to why benching Bulger this week is completly out of the question IMO:1. Indy will force this team to pass it traditional 50+ times, ops will = success.2. Indy's D is still being overrated and has not faced a test nearly as tough as what St.L will bring to the table.4. Familar teritory, this team will love playing on the fast track of Indy's dome.3. He is that good.Bulger will be in the top 5 QBs this week barring injury. There is no way I am benching him.

I've got news.1) Rams will score plenty.2) Rams will win.3) Bulger will have a solid game.4) Road or home, a dome's a dome.

The O/U for the Rams-Colts game is at 51 right now. That's very high for a NFL game. If you're going to go with the trust Vegas theory, then play Bulger. Unless you think the Colts are winning this game 41-10.
Correct...But!Like I posted...The Colts are favored by 13.5. Bledsoe and Collins are both in games that have Over/Unders of 50 points too, but not getting nearly as many points.

I think it will be closer to 41-10 than 26-25. The Odds Makers are FREAKY correct. Personally, I always trust them.

Reasons as top why benching Bulger this week is completly out of the question IMO:

1. Indy will force this team to pass it traditional 50+ times, ops will = success.

2. Indy's D is still being overrated and has not faced a test nearly as tough as what St.L will bring to the table.

4. Familar teritory, this team will love playing on the fast track of Indy's dome.

3. He is that good.

Bulger will be in the top 5 QBs this week barring injury. There is no way I am benching him.
plus it's MNF baby :boxing:

You absolutely have to start Bulger. The Colts defense deserves a lot of credit for how well they've played.HOWEVER...Take a look at the offenses the Colts have played thus far...Baltimore, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Tennessee, San FranciscoThey don't exactly instill fear in the hearts of defensive coordinators around the league. The Colts have done what they're supposed to do, shut down the offenses they're supposed to. I'm not ready to annoint them the '85 Bears until they do it against some quality offenses.

He'll be attempting 50+ passes, I don't care who he's playing, when you throw that much you will put up stats.
What he said :thumbup: I will start Bulger every week until he is injured.

Bledsoe will sit this week...
I agree. If you sit the current #1 fantasy QB (in most leagues I assume) you are playing with fire.

But the Odds Makers say he'll score less than 20 points. 50 attempts or not.
??You mean the team wil score less than 20 points?

How does that affect him getting 350 yards on 50 passes and a TD or two?

The O/U for the Rams-Colts game is at 51 right now. That's very high for a NFL game. If you're going to go with the trust Vegas theory, then play Bulger. Unless you think the Colts are winning this game 41-10.
Correct...But!Like I posted...The Colts are favored by 13.5. Bledsoe and Collins are both in games that have Over/Unders of 50 points too, but not getting nearly as many points.

I think it will be closer to 41-10 than 26-25. The Odds Makers are FREAKY correct. Personally, I always trust them.
The oddsmaker math:O/U = 51 and Indy -13.5 means...

Colts ...(51+13.5)/2= 32.25

Rams...(51-13.5)/2= 18.75

I've got news.

1) Rams will score plenty.

2) Rams will win.

3) Bulger will have a solid game.

4) Road or home, a dome's a dome.
By the way, I've been drinking. While I'm sure you all are about to run to your bookies to capitalize on my prognostication, you might want to reconsider. :P

I've got news.

2) Rams will win.

Rams suck on the road. They really do.I forsee a 34-14 type game, Colts winning, late in the fourth on their comeback effort, the Rams get a late TD and miss the 2 pointer to make a respectable 34-20 game, but still a Colts blow out.

Vegas gets pretty gosh darned close to the odds on both counts, Bulger gets his numbers, what's the problem?

The Drunk Potato got to this before me.

The O/U for the Rams-Colts game is at 51 right now. That's very high for a NFL game. If you're going to go with the trust Vegas theory, then play Bulger. Unless you think the Colts are winning this game 41-10. The spread is at 13.5-14 points. So using that spread and the total, the score should be somewhere along the lines of 35-21 or something like that. There's more then enough room for Bulger to have a decent fantasy day.
35-21 is 56 not 51. So the expected number of points based on Vegas is 32.5-18.5 for the Colts. On the other hand, a guy like Hasselbeck has a much better line. The Seahawks are expected to win 27.5-18.5.

27.5 for the Hawks and 18.5 for the Rams is a big difference when talking about Vegas lines.

The Seahawks might score more on the ground than the Rams. But even looking at the FBG game predictor, the Seahawks passing game will score more TDs than the Rams and throw fewer INTs.

How much is the Rams' gameplan going to be changed with the new coach?I don't think there's any questions he'll be more conservative than Martz, most everyone in the league is. He could decide to make the Rams a run first team though, which would drastically impact what most of us think of when we think of Bulger and the Rams.

I've got news.

2) Rams will win.

Rams suck on the road. They really do.I forsee a 34-14 type game, Colts winning, late in the fourth on their comeback effort, the Rams get a late TD and miss the 2 pointer to make a respectable 34-20 game, but still a Colts blow out.

Vegas gets pretty gosh darned close to the odds on both counts, Bulger gets his numbers, what's the problem?
Glad I got my disclaimer post in ahead of yours. But, though Rams do suck on the road, see 4) above.

But the Odds Makers say he'll score less than 20 points. 50 attempts or not.
??You mean the team wil score less than 20 points?

How does that affect him getting 350 yards on 50 passes and a TD or two?
Wait for Saturday and you could find a line for Rams passing yards over/under at some book. I guarantee you it won't even be over 300.

Indy has played crappy offenses. They have given up a lot of yards too, so I would start him for sure. I think he will throw for 300.

The Drunk Potato got to this before me.
Didn't think I could do that while drinking, did you? I think I'll go cure cancer after a few more. :thumbup:

How much is the Rams' gameplan going to be changed with the new coach?

I don't think there's any questions he'll be more conservative than Martz, most everyone in the league is. He could decide to make the Rams a run first team though, which would drastically impact what most of us think of when we think of Bulger and the Rams.
You can't be run first for long with a defense like the Rams so it really doesn't matter who's calling the plays.

and take a lot of hits.
Im not exactly sure how benching bulger would remedy this.My guess is that Pace keeps Freeny occupied so there will be very few hits from the blind side. Which is good because those are the ones that will potentially knock him out of the game. Mathis may just beat up on Barron but at least Bulger will see it comming.

In fact I am starting bulger. Im definately loving the Holt- Harper matchup if holt can play and about this Indy defense- St. Louis is going to be the litmus test. With the exception of Cleveland, all the teams they faced are below average passing teams with porous Offensive Lines. Not to say that the St. Louis line is the greatest, but I think that individual matchups may limit the Indy pass rush.

Also in the cover two scheme, the defense is generally geared towards Indy's first few opponents- Qb's without a good arm, TE primary, short routes rather than deep. So in effect, Indy's D should look good thus far- every team sans the Browns (and maybe even them) lacks a pure deep threats and relies on TE routes and quick-drops to avoid the pressure. Here is why St Louis is a good matchup.

X Factor 1) Kevin Curtis. Its clear he's going to be the #3 in this game and theres where his value is. The LB's who play back a little do not have the speed to shadow curtis and with Bob sanders gimpy, and slow, this is a problem. The Safety is playing deep so he'll have quite a bit of turf to cover to get to the ball if it is thrown in the 10-15 yard mark, past the LB's and yet too far for the safety to arrive in time. Thus, Curtis has the ability to catch and find an open lane downfield with his speed- because neither sanders or doss will be able to get to the grey area in the coverage. This hole is in the dead center of the field and if Curtis can get a pass there, he'll smoke the safetys.

X Factor 2) Tory Holt. The other soft zone against the defense is along the sideline, just a bit farther than where the LB's play. If Bulger can complete a pass to Holt and if the corner shanks the tackle, theres nothing but daylight seperating Holt from the endzone. Again, the safety has a lot of ground to cover and even if he gets to holt, a shanked tackle can lead to 10-20+ extra yards on any given play along the sidelines. Now here is where Curtis comes into play. If Indy chooses to bring in sanders or Doss to contain the routes to curtis, they leave open a bigger window of opportunity for Holt for the big play and nobody does it better than Holt. Also if they play more shallow coverage, than a shanked tackle may end up yielding a touchdown.

My feeling is that Bulger will have his miscues but will have a otherwise good game. Possibilities are galore with this offense.

Just got the prelim Cheatsheets and Bulger is ranked number 2 overall...

I can't help but think he might be held in check. The Over/Under is a high 51, but the Colts are favored by 13.5.

I try to play by two rules...

ALWAYS start your studs.

ALWAYS trust the Vegas Odds Makers.

In this case, since they are at odds, I think the Odds Makers win. I think Bulger has a sub-par game. I think there are a number of better plays than Bulger. Bledsoe against that horendus Giants D. Collins against that soft SD D. Maybe even Delhomme against Detroit and Hasslebeck against Houston. Bledsoe and Collins have favorable Over/Unders (Around 50 points), so those two stand out...And Detroit and Houston SUCK, so Delhomme and Hasslebeck stand-out.

Personally, I've got Manning ranked as number one this week (Although they might try to run the ball a lot to keep Bulger off the field.) and then Bledsoe and Collins. Followed by Delhomme and Hasslebeck.

If you have one of those guys, especially Bledsoe and Collins, because their Over/unders are SO favorable, do you bench the "Stud" Bulger (Who has an unfavorable Over/Under)?

I think so. :bag:
Detroit's pass D is better than you think. In passer rating given up they are 6th best. They are tied for 10th best with Tampa Bay in YPA against, and are 13th best in QB Fant points p/game given up. Yes, thats only 4 games of data but still pretty impressive. My top 3 for this week would be 1. Manning 2. Palmer 3. Hasslebeck; and Bledsoe having a very good chance at Top 5.

and take a lot of hits.
Im not exactly sure how benching bulger would remedy this.My guess is that Pace keeps Freeny occupied so there will be very few hits from the blind side. Which is good because those are the ones that will potentially knock him out of the game. Mathis may just beat up on Barron but at least Bulger will see it comming.

In fact I am starting bulger. Im definately loving the Holt- Harper matchup if holt can play and about this Indy defense- St. Louis is going to be the litmus test. With the exception of Cleveland, all the teams they faced are below average passing teams with porous Offensive Lines. Not to say that the St. Louis line is the greatest, but I think that individual matchups may limit the Indy pass rush.

Also in the cover two scheme, the defense is generally geared towards Indy's first few opponents- Qb's without a good arm, TE primary, short routes rather than deep. So in effect, Indy's D should look good thus far- every team sans the Browns (and maybe even them) lacks a pure deep threats and relies on TE routes and quick-drops to avoid the pressure. Here is why St Louis is a good matchup.

X Factor 1) Kevin Curtis. Its clear he's going to be the #3 in this game and theres where his value is. The LB's who play back a little do not have the speed to shadow curtis and with Bob sanders gimpy, and slow, this is a problem. The Safety is playing deep so he'll have quite a bit of turf to cover to get to the ball if it is thrown in the 10-15 yard mark, past the LB's and yet too far for the safety to arrive in time. Thus, Curtis has the ability to catch and find an open lane downfield with his speed- because neither sanders or doss will be able to get to the grey area in the coverage. This hole is in the dead center of the field and if Curtis can get a pass there, he'll smoke the safetys.

X Factor 2) Tory Holt. The other soft zone against the defense is along the sideline, just a bit farther than where the LB's play. If Bulger can complete a pass to Holt and if the corner shanks the tackle, theres nothing but daylight seperating Holt from the endzone. Again, the safety has a lot of ground to cover and even if he gets to holt, a shanked tackle can lead to 10-20+ extra yards on any given play along the sidelines. Now here is where Curtis comes into play. If Indy chooses to bring in sanders or Doss to contain the routes to curtis, they leave open a bigger window of opportunity for Holt for the big play and nobody does it better than Holt. Also if they play more shallow coverage, than a shanked tackle may end up yielding a touchdown.

My feeling is that Bulger will have his miscues but will have a otherwise good game. Possibilities are galore with this offense.
Nice analysis :thumbup: Where, though, did you hear that Curtis was moving back to the slot? I agree he's better suited for that role. Do you mean the Rams are going to use McDonald as the 2?

Also, somebody mentioned that the OC was likely going to be more conservative than Martz. Here's a link to the stltoday article about Steve Fairchild. It sounds as if he's part of the weekly planning with Martz. I don't see much change in the overall philosophy, just in some of the tactical decisions.

You absolutely have to start Bulger. The Colts defense deserves a lot of credit for how well they've played.

HOWEVER...

Take a look at the offenses the Colts have played thus far...

Baltimore, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Tennessee, San Francisco

They don't exactly instill fear in the hearts of defensive coordinators around the league. The Colts have done what they're supposed to do, shut down the offenses they're supposed to. I'm not ready to annoint them the '85 Bears until they do it against some quality offenses.
None of Boller, Leftwich, Dilfer, McNair, and Alex Smith are not exactly QB's to instill fear into opposing defenses. McNair is the most dangerous of the bunch and he doesn't have WR's to challenge a defense too much. They are a combined 9-14 with Jacksonville the only winning team they've faced. Two of the five are only single win teams. They are pretty much the same personnel they had last year only they haven't face anyone yet.

and take a lot of hits.
Im not exactly sure how benching bulger would remedy this.
Where was the benching Bulger thing in there - I would not sit that guy. he WILL get hit a lot more often throwing that much, but until he actually is injured, there is no reason to bench him.

I remember 3 weeks ago when the question was could a struggling Denver rushing attack succeed against a "stingy" Kansas City run defense.It's easy to be stingy when you haven't played anyone.Edit: I just went back and looked, and Denver's run game against KC's run defense was actually classified as a "Tough" matchup by FBG's. That's the problem with judging a defense by their results against crappy teams.

I agree that Bulger will get hit and hit often. Depth chart lists Martin as the backup, is he the guy to step in long term or is Fitzpatrick the guy to get.

I remember 3 weeks ago when the question was could a struggling Denver rushing attack succeed against a "stingy" Kansas City run defense.

It's easy to be stingy when you haven't played anyone.

Edit: I just went back and looked, and Denver's run game against KC's run defense was actually classified as a "Tough" matchup by FBG's. That's the problem with judging a defense by their results against crappy teams.
I agree the Colts D is overrated because of easy matchups. However, no "average" defense could give up only 29 pts in 5 games. Regardless of the opponents, that is impressive.

The O/U for the Rams-Colts game is at 51 right now. That's very high for a NFL game. If you're going to go with the trust Vegas theory, then play Bulger. Unless you think the Colts are winning this game 41-10.  The spread is at 13.5-14 points. So using that spread and the total, the score should be somewhere along the lines of 35-21 or something like that. There's more then enough room for Bulger to have a decent fantasy day.
35-21 is 56 not 51. So the expected number of points based on Vegas is 32.5-18.5 for the Colts. On the other hand, a guy like Hasselbeck has a much better line. The Seahawks are expected to win 27.5-18.5.

27.5 for the Hawks and 18.5 for the Rams is a big difference when talking about Vegas lines.

The Seahawks might score more on the ground than the Rams. But even looking at the FBG game predictor, the Seahawks passing game will score more TDs than the Rams and throw fewer INTs.
I would think this is common sense, but since it seems to be getting ignored here....Vegas doesn't set lines to accurately "predict" the scores of games. They set lines to get equal money wagered on both ends.

I see all kinds of holes in the logic of this thread, even if you want to agree that the outcome of the game will be 32-18 because oddsmakers are "freaky right" (or whatever that line was).

Even if they only score 2 TDs, odds are pretty good that they will both be through the air. The Rams don't run a whole lot.

Odds are also pretty good that they will be playing from behind, pushing the focus even further toward the passing game. I'd be very surprised if Bulger didn't top 300 this week.

As mentioned earlier, although Indy's D has been pretty stout so far, they haven't played a team with a better than mediocre offense yet. If I owned their D in a league where team D's are worth enough to get good trade value, I'd be shopping them all over the place right now (or maybe after the Houston game next week ;) ). They won't be any more valuable than they are right now.

Comparing this game to the Seattle game doesn't do anything for me either. Seattle is FAR more likely to be scoring on the ground. They are also almost a lock to be up big and working the clock, meaning Hass won't need to throw the ball as much. I don't personally care if the game predictor says Sea will throw for more TDs. I don't buy it.

There are only a couple of QBs I would consider over Bulger this week: Peyton & Bledsoe (and I'd really have a hard time convincing myself on the latter).

and take a lot of hits.

Nice analysis :thumbup: Where, though, did you hear that Curtis was moving back to the slot? I agree he's better suited for that role. Do you mean the Rams are going to use McDonald as the 2?

Also, somebody mentioned that the OC was likely going to be more conservative than Martz. Here's a link to the stltoday article about Steve Fairchild. It sounds as if he's part of the weekly planning with Martz. I don't see much change in the overall philosophy, just in some of the tactical decisions.
Thank you and good call on this :thumbup: Im assuming Curtis is headed for the slot as he's clearly the better matchup there so dont take my word for it. As for Fairchild, I have heard much the same about him but that being said its incredibly hard to run when your line is that poor, and with the cover 2, you rarely get blitzes so unless Bulger gets all the LB's to bite and drift fownfield, steven jackson is almost rendered a non factor- he'll get a good YPC but unfortunately he's not an option for a consistant 1st down if even one of the LB's step to the line.

So here's to hoping fairchild isnt a #######. Passes will get it done in Archtown and thats it.

I remember 3 weeks ago when the question was could a struggling Denver rushing attack succeed against a "stingy" Kansas City run defense.

It's easy to be stingy when you haven't played anyone.

Edit: I just went back and looked, and Denver's run game against KC's run defense was actually classified as a "Tough" matchup by FBG's. That's the problem with judging a defense by their results against crappy teams.
I agree the Colts D is overrated because of easy matchups. However, no "average" defense could give up only 29 pts in 5 games. Regardless of the opponents, that is impressive.
absolutely - there is no doubt that Indy's pass rush is one of the best in the league, which helps them keep these games low scoring.Whether they are actually a "dominant" defense is up in the air, but they are unquestionably a good defense with its strength being pass rush.

Last year, if you recall, the Indy D was very good and people were saying it was because Indy was jumping out to big leads versus weak defenses, which caused a lot of passing and opp for the defense to tee off. Lost in all that is that teams didn;t come back on Indy all that much - that's because the pass rush IS a dominant pass rush.

The rest of the D, I'd argue, is still a question mark, but they can get to the QB - and if you can get to the QB before he is ready to throw, you get sacks or you get INTs - both of which are bad for Bulger's FF numbers, but not bad enough to sit him.

The best way to beat the Colts is to get a solid run game going and none of those first few teams were able to:

Baltimore, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Tennessee, San Francisco

There are some good run offenses there, but obviously not good enough pass offenses to prevent 8 in the box - we'll see this week how the Colts D plays when faced with a balanced - or at least equally threatening on the ground and in the air - offensive attack.

There is no doubt that Indy's pass rush is one of the best in the league, which helps them keep these games low scoring.
Youre gonna have to explain that to me. The LB's from what I understand in a Cover 2 do not rush the pass. Instead they sit back and survey the play at hand- and let the DL get after the QB, and with that quality DL then yes I do agree they have a good rush that collapses the pocket. Thus QB's panic and try to force the throw, and with the teams they were playing, it was more liable to be a short pass than a long one, and thus the LB's who were off the line a bit were able to make the pick.However, this is why I think Bulger wont have a problem. His YPA which should be much higher than it currently is, is ranked in the 10 ten of Qb's at #8. The closest competitor to the Colts this year was Dilfer at #12.

Look at Dilfer's stats during the Colts/Browns game. 22/29 76% completion 208(?) yds. 0 TD's 0 PICKS

Just imagine what bulger can do with better recievers.

depends on your backup.

I am not sitting him in any of the three leagues I own him - though that Indy pass rush and the amount of hits BUlger's been taking recently scares the heck out of me.
I have him in a league where you start 2 QB's. I'm starting Brees and Brady and sitting Bulger

I don't like the matchup at all, especially with Holt on the injured list, but I don't see many teams having many options and I don't either. Now, for my 2nd QB, I'd love to pick up someone and bench Griese.

Unless I had Carson Palmer on the bench. you have to start Bulger. They will be behind, and be throwing a ton.Really, like alot of people have pointed out, the INDY D, while playing great, has faced alot of putrid offensive teams thus far. Expect the prevent D late and some nice garbage points.

The clincher for starting Bulger is of course that he's playing on Monday night so you can watch and root for him in primetime ;) .

Bingo!!!I'll take Bledsoe's 25 and Collins' 25 over Bulger's 18.5.

Well...Look at FBG's new rankings...# Peyton Manning - IND vs STL# Drew Bledsoe - DAL vs NYG# Kerry Collins - OAK vs SD# Marc Bulger - STL at INDPosted at 8:00 PM. I do believe my post claiming Bledsoe and Collins should be ranked ahead of Bulger was before that. :boxing:

You know when Bulger has become a fantasy stud when people are thinking of benching him if he "only" puts up 300+ yards and 1-2 TD's.

You know when Bulger has become a fantasy stud when people are thinking of benching him if he "only" puts up 300+ yards and 1-2 TD's.
Agreed!But I just see Bledsoe and Collins with real chances at throwing 3-4 TDs apeice. Plus a ton of yards too.

No doubt Bulger is a STUD, but looking at the Vegas Lines like I did, and the match-ups, I simply had Bledsoe and Collins ranked above him this week. (And did so before FBGs did).

:excited:

There is no doubt that Indy's pass rush is one of the best in the league, which helps them keep these games low scoring.
Youre gonna have to explain that to me.
A strong pass rush makes QBs throw faster, allows CBs to bat down more balls, and helps prevent comeback efforts late in the game when the QB is dropping back almost every play. Usually when you are looking at a 30-10 mid-fourth Q blowout, the defense relaxes, the QB gets more time, it is easier to move the ball, etc. With a strong pass rush, you can prevent late game heroics much better.A strong pass rush also hurries the passing game in the red zone, which can often help create FGs instead of TDs.

Finally, sacks are one major way to take a team from inside FG range to outside of it.

Well...

Look at FBG's new rankings...

# Peyton Manning - IND vs STL

# Drew Bledsoe - DAL vs NYG

# Kerry Collins - OAK vs SD

# Marc Bulger - STL at IND

Posted at 8:00 PM.  I do believe my post claiming Bledsoe and Collins should be ranked ahead of Bulger was before that.

:boxing:
I will, with 100 percent certainty, guarantee you that David Dodds is not looking at these boards while he is creating his projections an dcheetsheets.He likely doesn't even look at the boards at all from Tuesday through Thursday.

Edit - that said, good call.

Users who are viewing this thread