What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cards want a third-rounder for Boldin (1 Viewer)

Kowskull

Footballguy
According to NFL Network's Mike Lombardi, the Cardinals' asking price for Anquan Boldin is a third-round pick. Analysis: While Boldin is going on 30 and would likely require a pricey multi-year commitment, Arizona's demands appear to be plenty reasonable. Fellow trade candidate Brandon Marshall is roughly four years younger, but presents far more knucklehead factor, would ask for more money, and would cost a first-round pick. The Cards will find plenty of suitors if Lombardi's report is true.

I see a bunch of teams looking if this is true....

I'd think they could get a bit more then that even with Boldin's age and injury history.

When I read the original post, I pictured NFL team execs reading over trade rumors and doing a spit take as they reach for their phones to call up Arizona.

giving the 3rd is the easy part. He wants $$$. Somebody is going to need to offer a stiff signing bonus to a 30 year old often injured WR. He has been great with the Cards, I am surprised by the the 3rd rounder, i would assumed they would have floated 2nd rounder and settled on a 3rd if the new team and he can work out a contract.

Chicago offered a 2nd last year and got turned down.

I think the reason it is a 3rd this year is b/c with Doucet...they feel they have a replacement...unlike in previous years.

giving the 3rd is the easy part. He wants $$$. Somebody is going to need to offer a stiff signing bonus to a 30 year old often injured WR. He has been great with the Cards, I am surprised by the the 3rd rounder, i would assumed they would have floated 2nd rounder and settled on a 3rd if the new team and he can work out a contract.
Exactly. 2010 is the last year of Boldin's contract, and he's going to be looking for that last big payday.

Chicago offered a 2nd last year and got turned down.I think the reason it is a 3rd this year is b/c with Doucet...they feel they have a replacement...unlike in previous years.
Was thinking the same thing Chicago does not have a 1st for someone like Marshall but a 3rd is definitely doable for them and would make an instant impact Nice veteran reviver to go with there young guys

Lots of teams offering a 3rd means someone gives a 2nd.

Baltimore, #57 seems about right.

Exactly. 2010 is the last year of Boldin's contract, and he's going to be looking for that last big payday.
I would think for a third he might be worth a 1 year rental for a team like the Ravens or maybe even Cowboys...then let him walk. Of course he might be all pissy if the new team doesn't give him a contract also.

I can't recall all of Boldin's injuries, but its not like his knees are arthritic and its an on going problem. He was no more likely to get smashed in the face and break a bone than anybody else.

I would think for a third he might be worth a 1 year rental for a team like the Ravens or maybe even Cowboys...then let him walk. Of course he might be all pissy if the new team doesn't give him a contract also.
Good point. All I see for Boldin's contract this year is a $3M base. That and a 3rd for star WR could very well gather some interest from a playoff contending team in need of one. And if he's not extended, you'd think he'd be playing his hardest since it will only help him secure a bigger payday in 2011.

The 3rd round pick essentially just buys you the opportunity to negotiate exclusively with Boldin on his new contract, but it seems completely worth it for a team that needs a WR and thinks it can win now. For Baltimore, it would be similar to their Derrick Mason signing, and I guarantee they would do that deal again, even if it cost them a 2nd round pick.

new england has three 2nd round picks and a third.... why not take a shot at boldin while brady and moss are still in the championship window?

I can't recall all of Boldin's injuries, but its not like his knees are arthritic and its an on going problem. He was no more likely to get smashed in the face and break a bone than anybody else.
2 straight seasons started with hamstring issue(not happy with contract, statement?) scratched last week of season when the team was still in the hunt for the # 2 seed. Ankle I believe. He has been nicked or dinged up for the last couple of years. Been to every game the last 2 years and it just seems like he has had some minor issues. I just can't believe he is 30. Doesn't seem like he has been around for that long. perfect world, we keep him, but not going to happen, we need the money on defense.

Boldin has not played a full season without getting injured since 2006....now he is 30 and in the final year of his contract. Everyone knows his game is being physical out there. How can any team take a risk of giving up a draft pick and sign him to an extension that will require a big contract fully aware of his durability concerns?

They may want a 3rd rounder and another player but there's no way they just announce to everyone at this point they only want a 3rd rounder when teams like Dallas payed a 1st and 3rd for a bum like Roy Williams.

I still think they'd want a No. 1 overall. I think he's worth like a 2nd and 3rd, maybe 2nd and 4th.

Yeah, I think if he's healthy, a 3rd rounder is a steal. But the injuries and not being able to finish a full season makes a 3rd about right. I figured maybe a 3rd and a 5th or 6th, but straight up isn't horrible. There should be several teams jumping on that though. He's worth the risk.

My Lions should try and grab him to go with Calvin...

Agreeing with many of the posters above, I think a third is really a steal, and there will be a lot of teams interested. Don't know if they'll get a second, but they might get a third and a fifth.

I'd rather just keep our Mike Wallace wide receiver selection (3rd round pick), thank you very much!! :mellow: three-year, $1.74 million contract
If there's one team I'm positive won't trade for Boldin, it's the Steelers. But don't pretend they hit on all 3rd round picks1 2009 3 79 Kraig Urbik T PIT 2 2009 3 84 Mike Wallace WR PIT 3 2009 3 96 Keenan Lewis DB PIT

The local New York Sports Station (SNY) reported last night that Wisenhutt and the Cardinals are very interested in acquiring Kerry Rhodes from the Jets. This led to speculation about a Rhodes for Boldin trade.

I could very much see the Cardinals trading for a third... then going after Kirk Morrison from the Raiders. :shrug: 3rd Round tender, baby!

Adailus Thomas and a pick from NE.

Doesnt Arizona need a pass Rusher (not that Thomas can actually do that)

According to NFL Network's Mike Lombardi, the Cardinals' asking price for Anquan Boldin is a third-round pick. Analysis: While Boldin is going on 30 and would likely require a pricey multi-year commitment, Arizona's demands appear to be plenty reasonable. Fellow trade candidate Brandon Marshall is roughly four years younger, but presents far more knucklehead factor, would ask for more money, and would cost a first-round pick. The Cards will find plenty of suitors if Lombardi's report is true.I see a bunch of teams looking if this is true....
Some of these reports are fabricated by their own teams, ie, AZ tells an intern to get it out on the street, so they contact Lombardi, with a tip, that Boldin is available for a third.Willing team calls AZ and finds out not true for just a third, but AZ is willing to find out what Team A will give up for Boldin.I don't mind it, it gives us more to speculate/talk about different scenarios.

Boldin has not played a full season without getting injured since 2006....now he is 30 and in the final year of his contract. Everyone knows his game is being physical out there. How can any team take a risk of giving up a draft pick and sign him to an extension that will require a big contract fully aware of his durability concerns?
He also missed time his 2nd season in 2005 with a knee bone bruise and blew his knee his freshman year in college.

Boldin owners: where do you want to see him end up?
NE would be nice, since I'm also a Brady owner in that league.Baltimore - I can see 90+ receptions pretty easily there.Miami - as much as I hate to admit it, I'm impressed with Henne and he needs a go to guyKC - I'm a beleiver in Cassell and Weiss and Haley will use him well.

NE would be nice, since I'm also a Brady owner in that league.Baltimore - I can see 90+ receptions pretty easily there.Miami - as much as I hate to admit it, I'm impressed with Henne and he needs a go to guyKC - I'm a beleiver in Cassell and Weiss and Haley will use him well.
Out of all those places, the only one that wouldn't excite me is Miami. They seem too run-oriented and I worry that they wouldn't feed Boldin the ball enough.

Michael Fox said:
Dr. Octopus said:
Michael Fox said:
Out of all those places, the only one that wouldn't excite me is Miami. They seem too run-oriented and I worry that they wouldn't feed Boldin the ball enough.
I think they are run oriented out of necessity (lack of quality NFL WR's). Get a good receiving corp and they will start throwing>IMO

Michael Fox said:
Dr. Octopus said:
Michael Fox said:
I think they are run oriented out of necessity (lack of quality NFL WR's). Get a good receiving corp and they will start throwing>IMO
I agree. Henne was throwing quite a bit in their last five games. Miami is a team with an evolving offensive identity.

Michael Fox said:
Dr. Octopus said:
Michael Fox said:
I agree. Henne was throwing quite a bit in their last five games. Miami is a team with an evolving offensive identity.

Michael Fox said:
Dr. Octopus said:
Michael Fox said:
I agree with *****. Plus, I wanted an excuse to say "*****".

As noted, the $$'s have to be the issue here. Cards must think if someone wants an inside track to paying him the money, might as well get a 3rd out of it.

A 1st is way too much considering the injury history and mileage on his body. A 2nd could be debated and while I'd think that's his value, considering last year I don't know, low 2nd would seem to be the best possible option.

As I write this, a third seems about right. So wanted the Giants to look into getting him before last year, but I dont see him bringing enough value with the rise of the young WRs. Now, a rookie like Dez Bryant might fit nicely, but that's for another thread (and without the reality that we need a LB and defensive help first).

I could see teams getting creative in an uncapped year:

Say 19 mil in 2010

with team options for the nex two at 3 mil each
Then he'll cry in 2011 and 2012 that he's underpaid
In no way has Boldin impressed me that he is a whiny tool about money. He has quietly mentioned each of the last few years that he desired a new contract and more money. Even though he got neither of his desires he never lacked for participation in team activities and has given his all for the Cardinals. He never held out of TC. He has been a model player and a model citizen. So what if he got into it with Haley a couple of years ago? Boldin is the penultimate team player and he would be a valuable addition to any team which acquired his services. I don't think what YLiU is suggesting is that far out of the realm of possibilities. It basically kills two birds in one shot. It provides Boldin with a large payday which he almost assuredly deserves and gives the team acquiring him a chance to see if they want to retain his services longer than one year. Heck, for the right team that could mean a SB Championship in 2010. If Boldin doesn't pan out for that team they could cut bait if they chose. It seems to work for both parties involved.

I don't think I'm seeing this wrong........am I?

Users who are viewing this thread