What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Carolina 1st Round Pick (1 Viewer)

BassNBrew

Footballguy
I just don't see Fox taking a RB in the first. First round picks (excluding QBs) are generally meant to be starters. For better or worse I think the Cats have commited to Foster and Goings/Robertson/Shelton will supply an adequate back-up. With the FA additions at DT and LB, I'm pretty convinced Carolina will draft a safety or O-line in the first. My best guess is they go Mangold with the departure of last year's starter Mitchell.

Mangold has all the talent to be a good starting center in the NFL, but in order to become the player he is capable of, he needs to bulk up and play stronger on every down. He has very quick feet and excellent playing speed, which give him the flexibility to be quick getting set to make in-line run blocks and he can pull and get outside to lead block very easily. He is a very smart and competitive offensive lineman who can adjust to defensive changes and has the versatility to play both center and guard. He has the natural flexibility to bend his knees, sink his hips and block with a good, wide base. Once he adds some weight/strength, his ability to block with leverage will make him play strong enough. Overall, Mangold is going to start early in his career and will become a very good all-around center as he gains experience and playing strength. I like the fact that he can pull which I think will suit Foster's running style. The fact that he's smart and could also play some guard is a huge plus. All in all, I think he offers the best opportunity to start for the Panthers relative to the other players available late in the first.

Good points Bass. I certainly don't think they'll take White like just about every single mock is predicting.

Dammit, now you're making me think Shelton is worth hanging on to.

Any signs that he'd be the top backup next year?

Every mock I've read lately has CAR taking White and the Steelers taking Mangold.

I wouldn't be even slightly upset if that was reversed.

I don't buy the Lendale hype either. If Williams falls I can see them making a trade to move up to get him. Otherwise, I feel they will go S or OL as well. They did sign Hartwig from Tenn. to replace Mitchell, but they could use another G to compete with Mathis at RG. I could also see them going LT to upgrade over Wharton. Mangold would be a solid pick as well. He could start at RG and back up Hartwig at C.

If either Whitner or Bullocks are there at 27 that could be the pick. Don't be suprised to see them use that extra 3rd from the Bears to move up in the 1st to secure they guy they want.

Dammit, now you're making me think Shelton is worth hanging on to.

Any signs that he'd be the top backup next year?
None whatsoever as of now. I think the draft will supply your answer.

They did sign Hartwig from Tenn. to replace Mitchell, but they could use another G to compete with Mathis at RG. I could also see them going LT to upgrade over Wharton. Mangold would be a solid pick as well. He could start at RG and back up Hartwig at C.
Is Hartwig any good?

They did sign Hartwig from Tenn. to replace Mitchell, but they could use another G to compete with Mathis at RG. I could also see them going LT to upgrade over Wharton. Mangold would be a solid pick as well. He could start at RG and back up Hartwig at C.
Is Hartwig any good?
He was supposedly the 2nd rated center in FA behind Bentley. I would consider him an upgrade over Mitchell. Maybe Titans fans can add some input? I know he's started there the past few years for them.

Is Hartwig any good?
He's about Mitchell's equal.Like others have said the Panther's only real needs are a backup RB, G, a 3rd OT, and a Safety to groom behind Minter. I still think the smart pick is a RB because there is no way Foster is making it throught the season. If he goes down, then what. Their goal this year is the SB, and they have a relatively soft schedule since they were a wild-card team instead of a division winner. As the SEA game showed, if he goes down and they can't run the ball they become decidely average.

This also totally ignores the fact that Foster's contract is basically a one-year deal and that any of Maroney, Williams, or White may be an upgrade over Foster a year from now.

The other interesting point is that all their starters are also under contract for the following year (and I believe they are also under the cap, but don't quote me on that). So they can concievably swing for the fences in this draft without much consequence.

I believe Carolina has more pressing needs than RB also. IMHO they should go OL or DL. I think DL is a particular concern because B Buckner retired and K Jenkins has not played a full season in two years.

Carolina is a smart franchise.

I was thinking last night how fun it would be for them to trade all their picks this year to the Texans and take Bush at 1.01.

I agree with your thinking that a first round pick would like to think of himself as a starter and Carolina knows that Foster is their man. I would think that the money for a 1st rd RB would be higher than money for a 1st rd LB or safety.

I could see them going LB, but why did they just sign Nail Diggs? I think they need a safety to eventually replace Minter. They could go with safety Donte Whitner or perhaps OLB Bobby Carpenter. Who knows what Marty Hurney's plans are. I would like to see them get Marcedes Lewis or Fasano with their 2nd rd pick. I think either one would be a good TE addition.

Every mock I've read lately has CAR taking White and the Steelers taking Mangold.

I would.
I'm not drinking the latest BS koolaid on Lendale White. So he has hamstring trouble. Did you watch that guy play? He's going to be a beast and I hope the Steelers get him.

I would.
I'm not drinking the latest BS koolaid on Lendale White. So he has hamstring trouble. Did you watch that guy play? He's going to be a beast and I hope the Steelers get him.
I'm being realistic. Even if he is available, I doubt highly that the Steelers will have him #1 on their draft board. They usually shy away from a player who has any character issues. Back to the Carolina thread...

I think if the Panthers really think L. White is what they want in a running back, they will draft him in the first. Even though Foster will be the starter, Foster is very injury prone, and mixing in a young buck with him would be a good change of pace, and perhaps help keep Foster out of the ER, plus they would possibly have a great future starter. Fox loves to run the ball.

I agree with your thinking that a first round pick would like to think of himself as a starter and Carolina knows that Foster is their man. I would think that the money for a 1st rd RB would be higher than money for a 1st rd LB or safety.

I could see them going LB, but why did they just sign Nail Diggs? I think they need a safety to eventually replace Minter. They could go with safety Donte Whitner or perhaps OLB Bobby Carpenter. Who knows what Marty Hurney's plans are. I would like to see them get Marcedes Lewis or Fasano with their 2nd rd pick. I think either one would be a good TE addition.
Diggs is signed to a 1 year contract close to the league minimum, so a SLB would still make sense IMO.

I wonder what the Panthers think about drafting Eric Shelton in the second round. This is a team that I normally give a lot of credit to the GM and scouting staffs for their draft but the Shelton pick baffles me. What did they see in him that changed so abruptly once they got him to camp last summer? I seriously question their ability to evaluate RBs. Remember, this is a team that took Deshaun Foster over Clinton Portis because they thought Foster would be more durable.

Panthers | Team may try to trade up in the NFL Draft

Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:46:01 -0700

Steve Reed, of the Gaston Gazette, reports Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney admitted the team may try to trade up from the No. 27 pick in the NFL Draft. "We try to go into it with an open mind," Hurney said. "We like being active and trying to move if it warrants it." The Panthers are in the enviable position of being very deep at several positions and they really don't have many spots to fill on their 53-man roster. If the Panthers stood pat and used all eight of their current draft picks, it's highly unlikely more than three would make the roster because the team is so deep. At this point, the most obvious positions of need are running back, tight end, safety, outside linebacker and guard, but the team could go in just about any direction with the only exception being defensive tackle.

Panthers | Team may try to trade up in the NFL Draft

Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:46:01 -0700

Steve Reed, of the Gaston Gazette, reports Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney admitted the team may try to trade up from the No. 27 pick in the NFL Draft. "We try to go into it with an open mind," Hurney said. "We like being active and trying to move if it warrants it." The Panthers are in the enviable position of being very deep at several positions and they really don't have many spots to fill on their 53-man roster. If the Panthers stood pat and used all eight of their current draft picks, it's highly unlikely more than three would make the roster because the team is so deep. At this point, the most obvious positions of need are running back, tight end, safety, outside linebacker and guard, but the team could go in just about any direction with the only exception being defensive tackle.
I'm telling you: Trade all 8 picks to the Texans for the 1.01.

I wonder what the Panthers think about drafting Eric Shelton in the second round. This is a team that I normally give a lot of credit to the GM and scouting staffs for their draft but the Shelton pick baffles me. What did they see in him that changed so abruptly once they got him to camp last summer? I seriously question their ability to evaluate RBs. Remember, this is a team that took Deshaun Foster over Clinton Portis because they thought Foster would be more durable.
I don't believe they have given up on Shelton at all. He had difficulty adjusting to the pro game last year. So they sat him knowing he wouldn't be able to contribute. The reports of him lately have been positive.
Code:
Panthers | Hurney says team will be counting on SheltonSun, 23 Apr 2006 21:00:38 -0700Joe Menzer, of the Winston-Salem Journal, reports Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said the team will be counting on RB Eric Shelton in 2006. "I think his rehab has gone great. And I think just like with any young player, any time a young player gets a change to have a year to kind of see how things are done, be around the facility and in team meetings, learn the system obviously with that one year behind him, he's going to have much more comfort when he gets into games, knowing what we do," Hurney said. "He's a big back who can move. We saw that when we drafted him, we still see that, and we just believe he's only going to get better. Hopefully just being around for a year, he will have matured as a player, just knowing what we do." Given RB DeShaun Foster's medical history, it will be important for Shelton or someone the Panthers pick up in the NFL Draft to offer insurance at the position.

I believe Carolina has more pressing needs than RB also. IMHO they should go OL or DL. I think DL is a particular concern because B Buckner retired and K Jenkins has not played a full season in two years.
Agree

Agree
They signed DT Kemoeatu from the Ravens and DT Lewis from the Rams to shore up the DL. I would be suprised if they drafted a DT at all. Carstens started for Jenkins last year and they also have K. Moorehead for depth. I could see them taking a DE to eventually be Rucker's replacement but that's it for the DL.

Can you imagine if Jenkins is healthy this year and he and Kemoeatu play together? :eek:

I believe Carolina has more pressing needs than RB also.  IMHO  they should go OL or DL.  I think DL is a particular concern because B Buckner retired and K Jenkins has not played a full season in two years. 
Agree
:no: they already have 5 signed and on the roster for next year (Jenkins, Damoine Lewis, Maake, Cartsens, and Moorehead). They have 3 DEs in Peppers, Wallace, and Rucker. You can debate the quality of these guys, but they don't have any space on their 53-man roster for another DL. As the post above said they have very few spots on their 53-man roster which is one of the reasons they may/will trade up (though I think it's more likely in the 2nd).

Users who are viewing this thread