What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Chargers Official 2021 Thread - The Little Team That Couldn't *** (4 Viewers)

The decision to go for it on 4th and a full yard on your own 18 down 3 in the 3rd quarter may be the worst decision in the history of football. 
Herbert can win them 5 SuperBowls. He’s that good. Just need a coach who isn’t an idiot, a kicker who can make kicks and a defense that doesn’t tackle worse than Ice Box in the Little Giants

I'm not quite sure where that game ranks in the all time kicks in the crotch that are Charger losses.

There were so many special moments. Fumbled punt return, missed field goal, inability to get off the field on 3rd downs (3rd and 23 converted on a draw play up the middle), multiple PIs, so many dropped passes, bizarre coaching decisions. What mistake didn't they make in this one?

If this had still been a 16-game schedule instead of a 17-game schedule, the Chargers would be in the playoffs.

My computer refuses to recognize the CBA and the 17-game season that came out of it.  The Chargers got screwed when the league decided to add the home game with the Vikings to their schedule.

Like I said, my computer AND my simulator refuse to recognize the 17-game schedule!

Depends on which game is dropped.
Simple.  Drop the game against the Vikings and the Chargers would be 9-7 and in the playoffs.  The funny thing is, the Colts would've been 9-7 as well if you drop their game against Tampa Bay.
It is true that the Vikings game was the "17th game" for the Chargers. From CREATING THE NFL SCHEDULE:

• Six games against divisional opponents - AFC West
  • Four games against teams from a division within its conference - AFC North
  • Four games against teams from a division in the other conference - NFC East
  • Two games against teams from the two remaining divisions in its own conference - AFC East (NE) and AFC South (HOU)
  • The new 17th game is an additional game against a non-conference opponent from a division that the team is not scheduled to play - MIN
I haven't attempted to figure out if 9-7 would have been good enough for a playoff spot for the Chargers. They made it in 2013 at 9-7 but missed in 2014 and 2017, although those seasons only had 6 playoff teams per conference.

Bottom line, they win at Houston over a COVID-depleted team that finished tied for the 3rd worst record in the league, and they are in. Or they win either of the 2 OT games they lost (KC, @LV) or the 2 one-possession home games they lost (DAL by 3 points, MIN by 7 points). They just weren't good enough... they don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

We can only hope the front office has a strong offseason and the coaching staff improves.

I think Telesco is a bad GM. But, for argument's sake, say he isn't a bad GM. What is he then? Definitely not a great GM. I think it'd be tough to make an argument that he's a good GM without some insights into the internals of the Charger organization that would show he's having his strings pulled to some significant degree by others in the organization and has been forced to make decisions contrary to what he'd actually want to have done if he had more latitude (at which point this whole conversation about the GM is moot anyway). So that leaves us with somewhere in the average range (above average, average, below average). And that's based on a pretty lengthy sample size at this point, I think @Just Win Baby's article notes he's one of about 7 GMs who have held their job since 2013, and 2 of those are owners. 

I think it'd be tough to win a championship with an average GM. I think it'd be near impossible to be a perennial contender with an average GM. 

At this point, even if Telesco isn't bad, it's obvious he's not good enough to create a sustainable championship quality squad. They should be looking to replace him if their goal is to win championships.

In hindsight, Pipkins should have started over Norton against the Raiders.
I doubt it would have made much difference. He didn't face a player as good as Crosby in his previous two starts.

I do think that Norton was doing so poorly, it made sense to give Pipkins a shot at some point, though.

Users who are viewing this thread