What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chargers v Patriots....the rematch (1 Viewer)

DanFouts

Footballguy
Bears v Bolts was tough to watch, but nice to win...

Now for the main course....been waiting for this game since January...

Chargers O needs to step it up. Running vs Pats should be easier then the Bears. I think they put up a lot of points. V Jackson needs to learn to hold on in the endzone..

Chargers D - Secondary is going to be in trouble with Moss and company toasting Jammer and D Flo. I know they matched up against Moss twice a year in the past, but Brady will be tough on them. Merriman and Phillips will get 2 sacks each though to help out..

Prediction Chargers 27 Pats 21

Last edited by a moderator:
I think NE wins this running away. They were able to beat SD in SD last year with less than NCAA caliber WRs. Now they have Moss and Co. I'm sure SD will put up points vs. a beat up NE D, I just can't see them matching the fire power of NE.

NE 31, SD 21

If the Pats play like they did yesterday, they're not losing to the Chargers . . . or anyone else for that matter.

It's going to be tough for the Chargers to fly cross country after a physical and emotional Bears game.

It's going to be tough for the Chargers to fly cross country after a physical and emotional Bears game.
:thumbup: the biggest factor of all here IMO.the MVP in a Patriots win may well be the week 1 Chicago Bears.
The did pretty well on the road last year with East Coast trip (except Baltimore... <_< )I don't think emotional let down will be a factor considering all that the Pats game last year meant...especially to LT and Merriman. It will all come down to the secondary play of the Chargers. They can shut down Maroney, et all no problem. They will have to cover better, and get Weddle involved....

Moss, Stallworth, Welker, and Watson are going to have a field day against that secondary. Brady could put up another 300 yards and 3 TDs against them, easily.

Moss, Stallworth, Welker, and Watson are going to have a field day against that secondary. Brady could put up another 300 yards and 3 TDs against them, easily.
Oh please. The SD secondary isn't all that great, but they are better than the Jets and no way does Brady have that much time in the pocket. It will be a tough game for SD, but expect Brady to be forced to actually move occasionally.

Bears v Bolts was tough to watch, but nice to win...Now for the main course....been waiting for this game since January...Chargers O needs to step it up. Running vs Pats should be easier then the Bears. I think they put up a lot of points. V Jackson needs to learn to hold on in the endzone..Chargers D - Secondary is going to be in trouble with Moss and company toasting Jammer and D Flo. I know they matched up against Moss twice a year in the past, but Brady will be tough on them. Merriman and Phillips will get 2 sacks each though to help out..Prediction Chargers 27 Pats 21
Dan, if you were playing, the Bolts might have a chance, otherwise......Seriously though, I will be there and am looking forward to this game. The Bolts didn't do the best job with blitz pickup yesterday, which they better fix, or we're looking at a 31-13 game. But since they are one of the best and will fix the problem, I see a much closer game: Pats 19, SD 17.

I'll tell you what... if the Chargers can't find a way to break through the Pats O-line, this game'll be over at halftime.

You can't give a QB like Brady as much time in the pocket as the Jets did. He'll slice you up. (Not trying to compare the Chargers D to the Jets)

Patriots 34, Chargers 24.

GB Tommygunz still hanging onto a game from two years ago... :rolleyes:

Remember what happened last time the Bolts were in Gillette?
You mean in Oct. 2005?Maybe not this game--was wondering what the point was.
Check the rosters from that game...Drew Brees, Eric Parker, Reche Caldwell, David Givens, Corey Dillon, Patrick Pass, Deion Branch, Tim Dwight, Schottenheimer, Donnie Edwards, Monty Beisel, Chad Scott, Willie McGinest, Dwayne Starks, Guss Scott... :rolleyes:

I think it safe to say that NEITHER team is the same from October 2005.

bahhh...

we're gonna' over-analyze this and fight and disagree for 10 pages? the talent, the scheme, the home field, the emotion, the disrespect, the chip, the class, blah, blah, blah.

I'm picking the Pats because I'm a Pats fan and my team won last year, on the road, with less talent on their roster, against a well rested bye week Chargers team.

that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I think NE wins this running away. They were able to beat SD in SD last year with less than NCAA caliber WRs. Now they have Moss and Co. I'm sure SD will put up points vs. a beat up NE D, I just can't see them matching the fire power of NE.NE 31, SD 21
Shocking you would pick against SD.

I think NE wins this running away. They were able to beat SD in SD last year with less than NCAA caliber WRs. Now they have Moss and Co. I'm sure SD will put up points vs. a beat up NE D, I just can't see them matching the fire power of NE.NE 31, SD 21
Shocking you would pick against SD.
All the picks in here have been shocking. Never would've thought Pats and Chargers fans would pick their own team to win.

One thing that the Chargers have that the Jets don't is that they don't need to blitz to create pressure on the QB. The Jets continually got smoked by Moss when Brady just chucked it up to Moss in one on one coverage when the Jets blitzed. Should be a great chess match. The Chargers will be able to run on the Pats like they did in the playoffs, the problem will be stopping Brady. It could be a surprisingly high scoring game.

bahhh...we're gonna' over-analyze this and fight and disagree for 10 pages? the talent, the scheme, the home field, the emotion, the disrespect, the chip, the class, blah, blah, blah.I'm picking the Pats because I'm a Pats fan and my team won last year, on the road, with less talent on their roster, against a well rested bye week Chargers team.that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
You can't go wrong with what this kid has to say. ;)

When the Patriots pass: Chargers have a weak secondary, but great pass rush. Patriots have a strong offensive line, and better receivers. Advantage: Patriots

When the Patriots run: Chargers have one of the best front sevens in the league. They made Benson and Peterson look terrible. But they'll also have to fall back into coverage more often than they did against Grossman. Maroney, Morris and Faulk are probably outmatched in the running game, and will be involved more in max protect and the passing game. Advantage: Chargers

When the Chargers run: The Chargers rush offense is the best in the league, period. The Patriots run defense is decent, but thin. The biggest problem is that their linebackers are old, and without Harrison or Seymour, they're going to wear down quickly. I expect a heavy dose of Tomlinson all game, and I think the Pats will do everything in their power to shut him down early to prevent him from wearing them down. Advantage: Chargers.

When the Chargers pass: This really comes down to how the Patriots defend the run. Antonio Gates was wide open against a Bears team that was obviously trying to take Tomlinson away. Asante Samuel should match up well against Jackson, but the Pats don't really have anyone who can cover Gates one on one except maybe Thomas. Rivers was playing small ball against the Bears, and will probably do the same against the Patriots. Advantage: Patriots, but tentatively.

Special teams: The Chargers were calling for fair catches left and right in the Bears game. The Patriots just set an NFL record for longest kickoff return in history. Advantage: Patriots.

Coaching: Norv Turner vs. Belichick. Advantage: Push

Momentum: Both teams are coming off a week one win against an 06 playoff team. The Chargers got beat up a little more by the Bears than the Pats did by the Jets, but both were the clearly better team in their week one matchups. The Chargers have had this game circled on their calendar since their stunning loss last year. The Patriots have had this game circled on their calendar since 4:00 EST Sunday. Both teams have a legitimate claim as the #1 team in the league, and both ended last year on a sour note after dominating most of the game only to lose at the last minute. The Patriots want to win every game, but I think the Chargers legitimately hate the Patriots. Advantage: Chargers.

Overall this is a very close matchup. The Chargers are a little more one dimensional than the Patriots, but they're the best in the league and maybe in league history at that dimension. The Patriots have added so many weapons on offense and defense, but they'll need them, because the Chargers were able to neutralize last year's Patriots in a game they probably should have won.

If either team wins this convincingly, they become the instant favorite to win the Superbowl. If you aren't excited to watch this game, you aren't really a football fan.

I think the Pats come out in shot gun from the start and start flinging that ball around. I bet Bill doesnt even try to run the ball against that defense. I think i remember them doing something similar when they played the Vikings last year when not many teams were running the ball very well.

I think Brady, welker, moss, watson are all good plays next week with maroney taking it in the shorts again.

I think the Pats win this game.

I've been a mega Pats supporter over the years, and I like them to go the distance this year, but people are going way overboard based on that win over the Jets. Impressive? Yes. But hardly cause to cancel the season. They blew out a team they should blow out (not until the second half, though). The Chargers are three times the team the Jets are. With two teams this good it usually comes down to a couple plays that could go either way.

If the Pats annihilate SD--maybe then it's time to examine how much of a chance anybody has outside of New England.

Remember what happened last time the Bolts were in Gillette?
You mean in Oct. 2005?Maybe not this game--was wondering what the point was.
Check the rosters from that game...Drew Brees, Eric Parker, Reche Caldwell, David Givens, Corey Dillon, Patrick Pass, Deion Branch, Tim Dwight, Schottenheimer, Donnie Edwards, Monty Beisel, Chad Scott, Willie McGinest, Dwayne Starks, Guss Scott... :thumbup:

I think it safe to say that NEITHER team is the same from October 2005.
That sort of logic never stopped Patriots fans from saying they would beat the Colts.

One thing that the Chargers have that the Jets don't is that they don't need to blitz to create pressure on the QB. The Jets continually got smoked by Moss when Brady just chucked it up to Moss in one on one coverage when the Jets blitzed. Should be a great chess match. The Chargers will be able to run on the Pats like they did in the playoffs, the problem will be stopping Brady. It could be a surprisingly high scoring game.
:thumbup:What two players accounted for 48% of the Chargers sacks last year? Hint: they weren't DL.

All the picks in here have been shocking. Never would've thought Pats and Chargers fans would pick their own team to win.
I'll break the trend. I hope the Chargers win, but I don't think they will. They played a horrible game on offense yesterday. If they bring that crap against a good AFC team, it'll be over before halftime. I'm also very worried about their secondary. Looking good against Grossman is entirely different than playing Brady.

The Patriots want to win every game, but I think the Chargers legitimately hate the Patriots.
Truth.This is a huge game. There was a bit of concern last week that the Chargers may have been looking past the Bears. It's pretty difficult to look past a team that was in the Super Bowl last year, especially in the season opener at home -- but the concern wasn't completely ridiculous because, really, this is the game everyone's been looking forward to all offseason. Huge revenge factor.

:confused:What two players accounted for 48% of the Chargers sacks last year? Hint: they weren't DL.
Although technically anytime you send a LB it's a blitz, when you run a 3-4 and send a single LB it's still just 4 players. That's a lot different than what the Jets were doing. They don't often send both Merriman and Philips unless it's a definite passing situation.

:confused:What two players accounted for 48% of the Chargers sacks last year? Hint: they weren't DL.
Rushing a linebacker from a 3-4 isn't really a blitz. I'd say a blitz is rushing five or more players.

:lmao:What two players accounted for 48% of the Chargers sacks last year? Hint: they weren't DL.
Rushing a linebacker from a 3-4 isn't really a blitz. I'd say a blitz is rushing five or more players.
That's essentially how I was viewing it...

Coaching: Norv Turner vs. Belichick. Advantage: Push
:)
Yeah I caught that as well. Huge advantage to the Chargers here.
I thought the pats would win that playoff game last year by 10-14.chargers put up more of a fight than I expected, but w/our new guys I think this time'll be more like 20.

I got sick of hearing about the chargers something like 12 months ago.
How long have you been playing for the Patriots?

History is rarely an indication of future outcomes, but if we are looking at recent history:

2005 game - pointless to use. Inside LBs Monty Beisel and Chad Brown should not have been starting for any NFL team, so it was no surprise that LDT ran roughshod all over them. CB Duane Starks was torched by everyone he played and eventually was benched by midseason in favor of rookie Ellis Hobbs. The safety situation was a mess since Rodney went down the week before and it took several weeks (and signing guys) until the Pats settled on a combo they liked. Only this last point somewhat applies to next Sunday's game in that the Wilson/Sanders combo didn't look all that sharp in coverage vs. the Jets (but didn't look horrible by any means either).

Last January's game - a lot has changed. When SILB Seau broke his arm vs. Chicago, the entire usage of the Pats LB corps changed drastically. Prior to Seau's injury, the weakside-to-strongslide alignment was Colvin, Bruschi, Seau and Vrabel. After, it was Tully Banta-Cain, Vrabel, Bruschi and Colvin. Note that ALL THREE remaining starters were shuffled around and it clearly affected the run D; The stats show that the Pats' run D went from amongst the league's best prior to Seau's injury to the bottom half of the NFL thereafter. Note that Bruschi was also playing with a cast on his wrist all year long, having broken it in training camp and he has recently admitted it affected his play greatly. In that playoff game, the Chargers were very successful in overloading the left side of the formation, forcing Bruschi to flip with Vrabel to that side of the ILB spots and the Chargers ran LDT right at the ineffective run defender Banta-Cain and the weakened Bruschi to the tune of 6 to 8 yards a pop. If the Chargers made a habit of that, they would have been hosting the Colts the following week.

Flash forward to next Sunday. That January alignment of Banta-Cain, Vrabel, Bruschi and Colvin is replaced with Colvin, Bruschi, Seau/Adalius Thomas and Vrabel. The alignment from last year's excellent first-half-season Pats run D is back, with the addition of the speedy Thomas who can also play OLB. Bruschi says he feels much better than last year with the additional time to allow his wrist to heal. Yes, the Pats are without Seymour, but Jarvis Green has always been an excellent backup that would start on most teams (and he's paid like he would) and has always filled in well when Seymour has been out (ask Steelers fans this when the Pats beat them in the AFCCG a couple of years ago, or Colts fans when Jarvis had 3 sacks in the prior year's AFCCG). Next Sunday will be the best front-7 the Pats have fielded against the Chargers in recent history.

awesome post ^^

last year when playing the afc elite, the chargers lost both games (ne, balt).

they beat their next tier of opponents -- a subpar pitt team by 10, den by 8, cincy by 8, and managed to eke out a game against the mighty oakland raiders and cleveland browns by a score.

'nuff said

ps

I don't think jabar gaffney will be our best receiver next week.

The Charger offense didn't look ready for the regular season yesterday. I don't think the Pats D is as good as the Bears, but it's still very good.

Pats 24

Chargers 17

Will be sitting at the 30 yard line this Sunday nite expecting a close game. Throw out the Jets game Sunday. True the Pats Off. weapons are much improved over last year. But, Turner should feature a heavy dose of LT for the entire game thus keeping Brady and Co on the sidelines. Should be a close game decided in the 4`th quarter. I think Bellichick makes the difference here, Pats 27 Chargers 17! :goodposting:

Gr00vus said:
The Charger offense didn't look ready for the regular season yesterday. I don't think the Pats D is as good as the Bears, but it's still very good.Pats 24Chargers 17
NE 2 SD 0 Chargers listen to the hype of the national media who is gushing all over the Pats and decide to take an extra bye week and forfeit the game. Instead of SNF NBC will show the popular movie Heidi.

Finless said:
How on earth do you come up with the Chargers on top here? The Pats took it to them on the road in the playoffs last year. The Pats D is stout and now that they are stealing signals they may be unstoppable. Last year the Pats were 6th in total defense, 5th in rush defense (1 spot ahead of the Bears) and 2nd in points against which may be the most important stat of all. I can understand a hunch call here but to give the Chargers the edge on the road is ridiculous and outright unexplainable.
Yes, the Pats won last year, but saying they "took it to them" is a reach. This Charger team (if firing on all cylinders) can match up well with the Pats. Pats will not be able to stop run. Yes, Brady will kill them deep, but I envision long TD drives for the Chargers to wear down the Pats by the end.

eom said:
last year when playing the afc elite, the chargers lost both games (ne, balt).they beat their next tier of opponents -- a subpar pitt team by 10, den by 8, cincy by 8, and managed to eke out a game against the mighty oakland raiders and cleveland browns by a score.'nuff said
I think what you meant to say was that last year the Chargers were only two plays away from going undefeated, with their only two losses coming to playoff teams on the road. They not only scored more points than any other team in the NFL, they were one of only three teams that finished in the top ten in both defense and offense. They put so many players in the Pro Bowl that it looked like it was the Chargers vs. the NFC.Meanwhile, the Patriots lost twice as many regular season games - three of them at home, and two of them to non-playoff teams. They snuck out wins against the lowly Bills and Lions by merely one score. That "next tier" team that the Chargers "only" beat by 8 (and then again by 28) beat the Patriots by 10.The Patriots did a great job of gameplanning for the Chargers and were extremely fortunate to have caught them playing their worst game of the entire season.

Finless said:
Finless said:
How on earth do you come up with the Chargers on top here? The Pats took it to them on the road in the playoffs last year. The Pats D is stout and now that they are stealing signals they may be unstoppable. Last year the Pats were 6th in total defense, 5th in rush defense (1 spot ahead of the Bears) and 2nd in points against which may be the most important stat of all. I can understand a hunch call here but to give the Chargers the edge on the road is ridiculous and outright unexplainable.
Yes, the Pats won last year, but saying they "took it to them" is a reach. This Charger team (if firing on all cylinders) can match up well with the Pats. Pats will not be able to stop run. Yes, Brady will kill them deep, but I envision long TD drives for the Chargers to wear down the Pats by the end.
Sure man...and why is that? Their defense is better than it was last year. The Chargers don't have exactly have a dangerous air game. Are they going to give the ball to LT 45 times? Having said that, the Chargers are stout and I wouldn't be floored if they won. I would be willing to wager that Brady is not sacked more than 4 times. I'd be surprised to see 3 actually.
Not right now it isn't. It's probably about the same.

I'm surprised at seeing all these high scoring predictions. You're talking about 2 of the top 5 defenses in the league.

Points WILL be hard to come by. It'll be a 21-17 or 24-21 game.

To think one team will run away with this one is wishful thinking by a homer. If you saw that game last year, these two teams are evenly matched. That game could have gone either way and it's certainly possible the better team lost in that game.

I'll go 24-21 Patriots because they're playing at home but expect nothing less than a great game.

Users who are viewing this thread