What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Cheap Move" or Nah? (1 Viewer)

At the risk of having missed something, you played the guy that had zero chance of getting negative points, and that guy outscored the other guy anyway? :lmao:
Technically speaking, Conklin could have fumbled. Or in the extremely rare situation, could have thrown a pick on a trick play. We've all seen it before when non-QBs are asked to throw.

Playing the guy who had zero chance of getting negative points was certainly the correct call. The fact that he outscored the other guy anyway is example 1,000,000 of how unpredictable the magic football can be. Nicely done.
:hifive:

Each league is different, but considering it's clearly head-to-head, I don't think it's a problem what HSG did.

In my total points league, such a move would be frowned upon because total points determine draft position the following year.
One option I do in a couple of my leagues, expand your total points to include bench players. Obviously it completely does away with the problem you just pointed out, but even more so, it's a more accurate judge of a teams overall strength. Someone could have a very strong team and just make bad line up decisions each week. They shouldn't be awarded a higher draft pick because of that because they aren't losing due to having a weak team.
I like this idea, although the crappiest tanks in tank mode are also likely going to have the weakest benches. It wouldn't be a disincentive to mitigate tanking, but that's for another thread.
Also BYE weeks would play hell with such a format. If I have 5 starters out on BYE, my bench will be 0s.

In my total points league, such a move would be frowned upon because total points determine draft position the following year.
But, but, but.......Conklin scored more points. It is amazing how often leagues that complain about lineup decisions end up being on the wrong side of the complaint. Not that the complaint would have been out of bounds as most would think that Wilson was in line to score better than Conklin. It just always seems crazy that many times the bigger the outcry for foul the move ended up working out against the outcry.
Process over results in this case. As bad as Zach is, in SF you'd almost always want to go scrub QB over scrub RB/WR/TE.
That seems extremely specific to your format.

Total points do play into draft position the following year, but since I'm a winning team (now 2nd overall) and have the total points lead (by 122.5 at the moment) it's not exactly relevant to the context of this topic.

But I get what you're saying. If in a tanking situation, trying not to score points is frowned upon. All 3 of my MFL Dynasty leagues use "potential points" for that, so a team can go 0-15, but if their potential points were the best in the league they'd pick last, so might as well start your best lineup every week. Plus we have rules about tanking that involve losing your team, so....yeah.

But, but, but.......Conklin scored more points. It is amazing how often leagues that complain about lineup decisions end up being on the wrong side of the complaint. Not that the complaint would have been out of bounds as most would think that Wilson was in line to score better than Conklin. It just always seems crazy that many times the bigger the outcry for foul the move ended up working out against the outcry.
Process over results in this case. As bad as Zach is, in SF you'd almost always want to go scrub QB over scrub RB/WR/TE.
Sure but when you have a -3 for turnovers that swings the scrub QB significantly down in the hierarchy of who to play...........even without the slim lead. In the -3 for turnover situation here I likely would never start Wilson due to the catastrophic negative possibilities that are very real.

Sure but when you have a -3 for turnovers that swings the scrub QB significantly down in the hierarchy of who to play...........even without the slim lead. In the -3 for turnover situation here I likely would never start Wilson due to the catastrophic negative possibilities that are very real.

Not to mention that in PPR format, with low yardage passing totals, the chances that Conklin would outscore ZW were fairly high even without the -3 for picks.

Each league is different, but considering it's clearly head-to-head, I don't think it's a problem what HSG did.

One option I do in a couple of my leagues, expand your total points to include bench players. Obviously it completely does away with the problem you just pointed out, but even more so, it's a more accurate judge of a teams overall strength. Someone could have a very strong team and just make bad line up decisions each week. They shouldn't be awarded a higher draft pick because of that because they aren't losing due to having a weak team.
I like this idea, although the crappiest tanks in tank mode are also likely going to have the weakest benches. It wouldn't be a disincentive to mitigate tanking, but that's for another thread.
Better than using bench points is to just go to "potential points" That takes lineup decisions completely out of the equation as PP equates to the optimal lineup for your team each week. That way a team that is trying to tank by leaving better players on the bench don't get rewarded for doing so. This also evens out the benches because it only counts the starting lineup positions rather than all bench spots.

I proposed using this for draft order instead of record but the league didn't go for it....although I am not quite sure why. Something about if I have a record of 2-14 I should get a better pick than someone that went 4-12 even though my team is better by PP's.

ETA: I see someone beat me to the PP option.

Someone could have a very strong team and just make bad line up decisions each week

This happened to me last year, and I of course insist it isn't because my team was strong and I was stupid, but rather that my team was mediocre and you never knew which guy was going off which week. That and a bunch of backup RBs scored a ton of points in a league with no FLEX. The solution would have been to dump them midseason and score less bench points, but I was a playoff team.

It's not really necessarily an optimal design.
IDP makes the bolded a maddening weekly issue - even with a very good or great team, it's just so incredible how often I start the wrong IDPers.

I have 6 good-to-great safeties. Every week I seem to have 2 dudes in my lineup who score 6-12, while the 4 on my bench all top 20. You just never know who's going to get the pick, or make 8+ tkl on a given sunday

I've stopped looking at average points, or even total YTD points, and I try to play the matchups. I find that the magic combo is not great QB, but good enough to sustain drives. If they go 3-out all night, that's not enough TOP for the IDP players to eat. If they're too good a QB, they're probably not throwing a ton of picks.

But now I'm getting into the weeds.

I have 6 good-to-great safeties. Every week I seem to have 2 dudes in my lineup who score 6-12, while the 4 on my bench all top 20. You just never know who's going to get the pick, or make 8+ tkl on a given sunday
Easy solution to this is to cut 3 safeties and only have the starters plus one (or maybe two for byes). DB's are the kickers of the IDP world. No need to carry that many...hahahaha

Easy solution to this is to cut 3 safeties and only have the starters plus one (or maybe two for byes). DB's are the kickers of the IDP world. No need to carry that many...hahahaha
50 man rosters! BYE weeks!

Cmon son - you know the drill. This week I only have 3 LB I can start so I'm rolling out the 3-safety starting lineup. They score about the same as LB, just a little less consistent.

I do only carry 4 CB though.

You can set your legal lineup however you like (agree that the lineup slot should not be empty but IMO league rules should not allow this) - particularly if trying to win. Ridiculous for your opponent to say anything.
Again, to be fair, my opponent hasn't said anything. It's another person in the league. Personally I think he's just busting my chops.
99% of the time its not gonna matter anyhow. even bad players rarely get a negative score.
people worry too much about this stuff.

Potential points is a decent way to mitigate these concerns.
Winner winner chicken dinner. I just said that prior to seeing this post.
actually.... adding "all play" to leagues in a hybrid format is 100% the way to go.....

1. you still have your "main" HTH matchup each week which goes towards your division record..... and the 3 division winners automatically advance to the playoffs
2. in that same week you are also playing all 11 teams in all play and end each week there with a 11-0, or 10-1, 9-2, 8-3,7-4,6-5, 5-6, 4-7,3-8, 2-9,1-10,0-11 record...other 3 playoff teams come from this group at end of year.....

so in this case, you could choose to do what HSG....and secure that "main" HTH win that week......BUT....it could cost you in your all play standings if you choose to play a guy (Conklin) who may not score as much (Wilson)....obviously in a weird twist of fate that didn't happen here cause Conklin outscored Wilson... :lmao: ,.....but "let's be honest" normally the opposite would be true....so you would have a decision to make....it wouldn't be so clear cut.....

we have talked about switching entirely to "all play" as it is truly the best week to week assessment of the best teams/owners/lineup setters.....but guys want to hang on to the "main HTH matchup" each week....so this was our compromise...

Last edited:
actually.... adding "all play" to leagues in a hybrid format is 100% the way to go.....

1. you still have your "main" HTH matchup each week which goes towards your division record..... and the 3 division winners automatically advance to the playoffs
2. in that same week you are also playing all 11 teams in all play and end each week there with a 11-0, or 10-1, 9-2, 8-3,7-4,6-5, 5-6, 4-7,3-8, 2-9,1-10,0-11 record...other 3 playoff teams come from this group at end of year.....

so in this case, you could choose to do what HSG....and secure that "main" HTH win that week......BUT....it could cost you in your all play standings if you choose to play a guy (Conklin) who may not score as much (Wilson)....obviously in a weird twist of fate that didn't happen here cause Conklin outscored Wilson... :lmao: ,.....but "let's be honest" normally the opposite would be true....so you would have a decision to make....it wouldn't be so clear cut.....

we have talked about switching entirely to "all play" as it is truly the best week to week assessment of the best teams/owners/lineup setters.....but guys want to hang on to the "main HTH matchup" each week....so this was our compromise...
That's an interesting format - I appreciate you sharing that.

I really love the evolution of this game, and how many creative ways leagues are set up. If you'd told me 20+ years ago that I'd be playing in a 16-team IDP SF PPR TE-P league with a week 8 double-header, I would have laughed in your face at the preposterous notion.

Now something like all-play sounds super normal. lol

In one of my leagues, a 12-team PPR SF with no K or D/ST, with -3 Int, after last night's game I'm up 97.8 to 92.7 (thank you, Tee Higgins)

It was a bad BYE week for us both. I'm currently the 3-seed, and top scorer in that league, and had Zach Wilson yet to play (Fields is out, ARich on IR, yeah, don't judge)

Anyway, after the game, I decided that the prudent thing to do with a narrow 5.1 point lead in a league with -3 for Interceptions would be to swap out ZW for Conkin in my SF spot. That way I protect my lead, and eliminate the risk of a bad beat with ZW coming out and craping the bed with a multi-pick game.

A friend in the league texted me that he saw I did that swap & called it a "cheap move". I asked if he thought there was anything in the rules against it. He said no, but he thought it was "kind of unsportsmanlike". I told him to pound sand.

Personally, I see it as smart management. I need 0 points to win, but I can't leave a roster spot open. Why wouldn't I be able to put whomever I want in my SF spot? Just happened to have another Jet to do it with. We don't have an in-season prize for season points total, so the extra points are irrelevant. But the negative points could be highly relevant .

Your thoughts:

Honest opinion.

Cheap move.

Not to say it's not the smart move. I just wouldn't do it unless it was a life or death type situation.
Hmmmm... this feels more like a "hot take" rather than advice from a guy who ask other folks to pay him money for fantasy football advice.

But to be fair, part of this post is giving the owner of the site a hard time. But still a bizarre take, IMO.

Years ago I benched a defense (Packers) to protect a one-point lead because many defenses get negative points. I took a zero (legal in this league) and the Packers ended up scoring four points.

Later that week there was a scoring correction and I lost a point, and I lost the tiebreaker, costing me the game. Bad decision? Karma? Not the way I see it. The Packers were -2 after three quarters. The risk of the position costing me the win was real, and I took a calculated risk that didn't pay off. It didn't work out, but I stand by the strategy.

In your case, the possibility of Wilson getting multiple -3s in your league was very, very real. Plus you have almost no chance of losing on stat corrections. Your risk is lower. You made the right decision.

If taking a knee at the end of a game to prevent an untimely turnover, or taking a safety to give the opponent a longer field at the very end is ethical and smart management, protecting a lead from potential negative points is the same. Just my opinion.

In one of my leagues, a 12-team PPR SF with no K or D/ST, with -3 Int, after last night's game I'm up 97.8 to 92.7 (thank you, Tee Higgins)

It was a bad BYE week for us both. I'm currently the 3-seed, and top scorer in that league, and had Zach Wilson yet to play (Fields is out, ARich on IR, yeah, don't judge)

Anyway, after the game, I decided that the prudent thing to do with a narrow 5.1 point lead in a league with -3 for Interceptions would be to swap out ZW for Conkin in my SF spot. That way I protect my lead, and eliminate the risk of a bad beat with ZW coming out and craping the bed with a multi-pick game.

A friend in the league texted me that he saw I did that swap & called it a "cheap move". I asked if he thought there was anything in the rules against it. He said no, but he thought it was "kind of unsportsmanlike". I told him to pound sand.

Personally, I see it as smart management. I need 0 points to win, but I can't leave a roster spot open. Why wouldn't I be able to put whomever I want in my SF spot? Just happened to have another Jet to do it with. We don't have an in-season prize for season points total, so the extra points are irrelevant. But the negative points could be highly relevant .

Your thoughts:

Honest opinion.

Cheap move.

Not to say it's not the smart move. I just wouldn't do it unless it was a life or death type situation.
Hmmmm... this feels more like a "hot take" rather than advice from a guy who ask other folks to pay him money for fantasy football advice.

But to be fair, part of this post is giving the owner of the site a hard time. But still a bizarre take, IMO.
He's allowed to have hot takes imo. This is his job, but also his hobby, and his passion like the rest of us. Let him take the "expert" hat off once in a while and just be a guy sharing his opinion sometimes.

It was a bad BYE week for us both. I'm currently the 3-seed, and top scorer in that league, and had Zach Wilson yet to play in my SF spot (Fields is out, ARich on IR, yeah, don't judge). Minshew had already started for me at QB.

ETA edited for clarity on SF spot that ZW was in

Your thoughts:
It's within the rules and smart game management. You can vote on it next year. Don't waste your time with him on something that's perfectly within the rules.

It was a bad BYE week for us both. I'm currently the 3-seed, and top scorer in that league, and had Zach Wilson yet to play in my SF spot (Fields is out, ARich on IR, yeah, don't judge). Minshew had already started for me at QB.

Your thoughts:
It's within the rules and smart game management. You can vote on it next year. Don't waste your time with him on something that's perfectly within the rules.
What is there to vote on? That you have to play a QB in the flex?

Your thoughts:
Lol 😆

Your thoughts:

Honest opinion.

Cheap move.

yeah and the fact that he would do differently in a "life or death " situation is all you really need to hear.....not sure what "life or death" is in fake football....I'm assuming he means something like getting in the playoffs or winning it all type of scenario....but throwing out that "disclaimer" pretty much says it all...

Your thoughts:
Yeah, that’s a little silly since it’s a SF. we are not a start 2 QB format.
yeah and the fact that he would do differently in a "life or death " situation is all you really need to hear.....not sure what "life or death" is in fake football....I'm assuming he means something like getting in the playoffs or winning it all type of scenario....but throwing out that "disclaimer" pretty much says it all...
I have no idea what a “life or death” situation would be for a lineup decision. I found that as logical/relevant as the Ted Williams anecdote.

Your thoughts:
Rule: You can play QB, RB, WR, TE in Superflex spot EXCEPT when you're team is winning on MNF AND the QB is projected for more points than the non-QB. Then you HAVE to play the QB.

;)

Your thoughts:
Rule: You can play QB, RB, WR, TE in Superflex spot EXCEPT when you're team is winning on MNF AND the QB is projected for more points than the non-QB. Then you HAVE to play the QB.

;)
Now that is the best post in this thread.

I really don't understand the logic of how this would be cheap.

Is it cheap when a team kneels down when they have a small lead in the last 2 minutes? Is it cheap when a hockey team just fires the puck out of their end instead of trying to score more goals late in games?

Also BYE weeks would play hell with such a format. If I have 5 starters out on BYE, my bench will be 0s.
It's total points of starters and bench (and we include taxi) over the full course of the regular season so all owners bye weeks are all included. Really the only thing it doesn't capture are good players who are on IR, so like I have Dobbins, Mike Williams, Bourne, and Waller on IR right now so it's making my team look worse than it is. But no other format I've come across accounts for this either, and again, I think including bench points means how line ups are set don't really matter. So really, there is no tanking. The only real way to tank, is to literally drop good players who are putting up points, thereby actually making your team worse. We've been doing it for 6 years now, and it's really worked out very well. The worst rosters really do wind up getting the higher picks and most of the variables (like the IR thing I pointed out) equalize across the league. We also give a compensatory pick (pick 2.13) to the winner of the consolation bracket. So it keeps people motivated to play out the season even when they aren't going to make the playoffs. A few other small rules balance things out, but it's all easily enforceable (like you always need a full roster) and now we basically never have to worry/care about how people manage their teams. Add in that you need to pay for future seasons where you are trading picks and it's the most stable league I've been a part of. We had someone declare they were leaving after last season and had traded away their 2023 1st and 2024 2nd, and we quickly got a new owner when they found out they are basically playing for free the next two years as they rebuild.

Better than using bench points is to just go to "potential points" That takes lineup decisions completely out of the equation as PP equates to the optimal lineup for your team each week. That way a team that is trying to tank by leaving better players on the bench don't get rewarded for doing so. This also evens out the benches because it only counts the starting lineup positions rather than all bench spots.

I proposed using this for draft order instead of record but the league didn't go for it....although I am not quite sure why. Something about if I have a record of 2-14 I should get a better pick than someone that went 4-12 even though my team is better by PP's.

ETA: I see someone beat me to the PP option.
While it hasn't worked out great for me this year lol, I own Barkley, Dobbins, AJones, Mixon, Pollard, Rhamondre, and a few other less consequential RBs but who still are started in the flex in a few leagues. We only start 2 RBs. So I like a system that accounts for the depth of that bench and counts it towards the overall strength of my team. Because it's obviously a stronger team than one that has CMC and Bijan but then nothing behind them. But not including bench points in the tally completely misses that, Just my opinion though, everyone has a system that they think works best for their league.

I didn't read all 5 pages of this thread, so disregard if it's already been said. Not only did you make the correct move by swapping out Zach Wilson for Tyler Conklin, I would've tried to roster Corey Davis, just to put him in the spot. That way you are guaranteed to win, but Conklin could've had negative points just like Wilson.

We don't do divisions, but do everything else this way and it is fantastic. Trying to get all my leagues on board with it. Everyone has had those weeks where they are the 2nd highest scorer but had the bad luck of playing the 1st highest and this helps a ton with that. Fantasy will always come down to a ton of luck, but trying to remove it where possible has lead to much more enjoyable leagues for me.

Start 10 17 man roster. We had a guy week 7 that had 9 guys on bye that week. Guy did an admirable job of fielding an entire team but of corse got trampled.

We only start 2 RBs. So I like a system that accounts for the depth of that bench and counts it towards the overall strength of my team. Because it's obviously a stronger team than one that has CMC and Bijan but then nothing behind them.
If you can only play 2 RB's then I wouldn't necessarily put your team as "better" than the CMC team. You can only play two guys. As long as those guys stay healthy that team is better for the purposes of winning. Your team is considered deeper but I wouldn't say better. I also don't think that your bench should have any bearing on your standings. They get incorporated if/when injuries hit so you are in good shape for that but if the other guy doesn't get hit with injuries why do they get punished for having a studs/duds approach?

If you like bench depth to count then best ball may be the league type you would be happiest with. Nothing wrong with that approach but bench depth shouldn't give you any advantage beyond injury protection.

I didn't read all 5 pages of this thread, so disregard if it's already been said. Not only did you make the correct move by swapping out Zach Wilson for Tyler Conklin, I would've tried to roster Corey Davis, just to put him in the spot. That way you are guaranteed to win, but Conklin could've had negative points just like Wilson.
Yep. And further if my league’s rules allowed me to have an empty spot at SF, I would have had zero ethical issues with that either.

We don’t, so I played Conklin, but I would. And I don’t see that as an issue either. You play…to win…the game.

/Herm

We don't do divisions, but do everything else this way and it is fantastic. Trying to get all my leagues on board with it. Everyone has had those weeks where they are the 2nd highest scorer but had the bad luck of playing the 1st highest and this helps a ton with that. Fantasy will always come down to a ton of luck, but trying to remove it where possible has lead to much more enjoyable leagues for me.
When people argue for the all play or total points methods they also point to the "I scored the 2nd most points and lost - that shouldn't happen" but they neglect the bonus of "I played the only team I could beat - this is awesome" aspect of H2H. There are two sides to the H2H coin and that is one of the things that makes that format superior in my eyes. Over the course of time it will even out (win when you shouldn't vs lose when you shouldn't) but you typically only remember the bad beats.

I am all for using total points (or to a lesser extent all play as this is typically the same as total points) as a tie break and/or as wild card playoff teams. But not using H2H for the base standings and moving to all play seems like a roto style league which just isn't as fun to me.

I am all for using total points (or to a lesser extent all play as this is typically the same as total points) as a tie break and/or as wild card playoff teams. But not using H2H for the base standings and moving to all play seems like a roto style league which just isn't as fun to me.
I agree here, too.

And I’m a die hard roto FBB geek. Unfortunately we had to switch to H2H because league turnover was brutal. In true roto teams get eliminated within 6-8 weeks of the season and just abandon their rosters. In my 12 team FBB 6x6 H2H we had 10 teams legitimately in it until the last month.

Does the “best” team always make the playoffs in that format? Nope.

But that’s ok. Life isn’t always fair.

In my local 12-team league I’m 3rd in points and have a 3-6 record. I’ve had the toughest schedule of any team, and had some untimely injuries. My season is basically over. And while it sucks, I’m ok with it.

Yep. And further if my league’s rules allowed me to have an empty spot at SF, I would have had zero ethical issues with that either.

We don’t, so I played Conklin, but I would. And I don’t see that as an issue either. You play…to win…the game.

/Herm
I would've taken no chances. Even with Conklin you took a risk. Completely eliminate the risk by starting a player who is guaranteed not to even dress out (like Aaron Rodgers).

I would've taken no chances. Even with Conklin you took a risk. Completely eliminate the risk by starting a player who is guaranteed not to even dress out (like Aaron Rodgers).
That came up as well. This league is waiver claim only, so I had to go with what I had. It was fortunate I had another Jet to start.

But you’re right - the shark move would have been to claim a super marginal Jet who had virtually no chance of getting touches / scoring points & starting them.

I didn’t think that far ahead, mostly because I didn’t know it would be a ~5 point lead coming down to MNF.

What’s funny is I likely would have made this move if I were down 5.x as well.

We’re talking about Zach Wilson here. I just lost a game needing 11.5 with Davonte Adams YTP. Conklin is much more likely to win me that game than ZW.

In the end TC outscored ZW, and neither player would have lost me the week.

But we learned that it’s all about the friends we made along the way.
;)

We only start 2 RBs. So I like a system that accounts for the depth of that bench and counts it towards the overall strength of my team. Because it's obviously a stronger team than one that has CMC and Bijan but then nothing behind them.
If you can only play 2 RB's then I wouldn't necessarily put your team as "better" than the CMC team. You can only play two guys. As long as those guys stay healthy that team is better for the purposes of winning. Your team is considered deeper but I wouldn't say better. I also don't think that your bench should have any bearing on your standings. They get incorporated if/when injuries hit so you are in good shape for that but if the other guy doesn't get hit with injuries why do they get punished for having a studs/duds approach?

If you like bench depth to count then best ball may be the league type you would be happiest with. Nothing wrong with that approach but bench depth shouldn't give you any advantage beyond injury protection.
Bye weeks would be the major other time bench depth comes into play. And I feel like you're HUGELY underselling injuries. But to each their own, maybe injuries have never had much of an impact on how things play out in your leagues. They have in mine every single year. And the people who don't have depth, tend not to fair well. Cheers!

Bye weeks would be the major other time bench depth comes into play. And I feel like you're HUGELY underselling injuries. But to each their own, maybe injuries have never had much of an impact on how things play out in your leagues. They have in mine every single year. And the people who don't have depth, tend not to fair well. Cheers!
Injuries are always huge. I adhere to the get depth approach over the studs/duds approach for sure. My point was when comparing what team is "better" bench points really don't matter. Your starting lineup is your team for the purposes of winning and losing. If a studs/duds team stays healthy (it has happened and is extremely lucky) then their team is good.

Moving forward, every time HSG asks a question, we get to respond with WWTWD?
good one. wonder if TW the manager ever replaced his starting pitcher in a game his team was winning? nah, that would be playing not to lose. cheap.

When people argue for the all play or total points methods they also point to the "I scored the 2nd most points and lost - that shouldn't happen" but they neglect the bonus of "I played the only team I could beat - this is awesome" aspect of H2H. There are two sides to the H2H coin and that is one of the things that makes that format superior in my eyes. Over the course of time it will even out (win when you shouldn't vs lose when you shouldn't) but you typically only remember the bad beats.

Agreed with standings. But I do like using potential points for draft slot.

Everytime a RB goes down at the 1 instead of scoring in order to end the game, it's cheap move 😛

Agreed with standings. But I do like using potential points for draft slot.
Truly the best way to prevent tanking.
The best way to prevent tanking is don't play with bums who tank. I don't like this for draft order because you more often than not just punish the guy with the worst lineup/matchup luck a 2nd time.

I really don't understand the logic of how this would be cheap.

Is it cheap when a team kneels down when they have a small lead in the last 2 minutes? Is it cheap when a hockey team just fires the puck out of their end instead of trying to score more goals late in games?

Maybe Joe is a Mario Cristobal alias???

The best way to prevent tanking is don't play with bums who tank.
Well yeah, but when you’re in a 16 team dynasty format, sometimes it’s unavoidable.

That’s why our leagues have rules against tanking. That’s mostly about setting your best lineup for competitive balance.

I don't like this for draft order because you more often than not just punish the guy with the worst lineup/matchup luck a 2nd time.

But the potential points thing just works - and it actually rewards teams rather than punishes them. And mitigates the potential of intentionally setting a weaker lineup (which also speaks to maintaining competitive balance)

All 3 of my dynasty leagues use this and it’s worked great for years in 2/3 (the 3rd started up this year, but so far we haven’t had any issues)

I don't like this for draft order because you more often than not just punish the guy with the worst lineup/matchup luck a 2nd time.
How is this punishing for a second time? The idea behind the NFL style draft order is that the worst teams get the better picks. Using potential points as the order (reverse order of course) is that the actual worst team will get the first pick. It takes schedule luck out of the equation and also disincentivizes playing a less than optimal lineup which helps the teams still competing to get into a playoff spot or move up the standings by having teams trying to win their matchup because there is no incentive to lose the matchup.

I just don't see how using PP's is a punishment in any way.

Users who are viewing this thread