What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Cheap Move" or Nah? (2 Viewers)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
In one of my leagues, a 12-team PPR SF with no K or D/ST, with -3 Int, after last night's game I'm up 97.8 to 92.7 (thank you, Tee Higgins)

It was a bad BYE week for us both. I'm currently the 3-seed, and top scorer in that league, and had Zach Wilson yet to play in my SF spot (Fields is out, ARich on IR, yeah, don't judge). Minshew had already started for me at QB.

Anyway, after the game, I decided that the prudent thing to do with a narrow 5.1 point lead in a league with -3 for Interceptions would be to swap out ZW for Conkin in my SF spot. That way I protect my lead, and eliminate the risk of a bad beat with ZW coming out and craping the bed with a multi-pick game.

A friend in the league texted me that he saw I did that swap & called it a "cheap move". I asked if he thought there was anything in the rules against it. He said no, but he thought it was "kind of unsportsmanlike". I told him to pound sand.

Personally, I see it as smart management. I need 0 points to win, but I can't leave a roster spot open. Why wouldn't I be able to put whomever I want in my SF spot? Just happened to have another Jet to do it with. We don't have an in-season prize for season points total, so the extra points are irrelevant. But the negative points could be highly relevant .

ETA edited for clarity on SF spot that ZW was in

Your thoughts:

Last edited:
I personally like the move. Totally unsurprised that somebody is going to cry about it though.

It is, though, interesting to think about what is cheap and what is not. We generally say "losing on purpose to get a higher rookie draft pick, because you're eliminated" is illegal. Is that not also simply doing what's best for your team? But, I see the difference. Just interesting because "managing my team for the best of my team" is not always an accepted rationale.

In one of my leagues, a 12-team PPR SF with no K or D/ST, with -3 Int, after last night's game I'm up 97.8 to 92.7 (thank you, Tee Higgins)

It was a bad BYE week for us both. I'm currently the 3-seed, and top scorer in that league, and had Zach Wilson yet to play (Fields is out, ARich on IR, yeah, don't judge)

Anyway, after the game, I decided that the prudent thing to do with a narrow 5.1 point lead in a league with -3 for Interceptions would be to swap out ZW for Conkin in my SF spot. That way I protect my lead, and eliminate the risk of a bad beat with ZW coming out and craping the bed with a multi-pick game.

A friend in the league texted me that he saw I did that swap & called it a "cheap move". I asked if he thought there was anything in the rules against it. He said no, but he thought it was "kind of unsportsmanlike". I told him to pound sand.

Personally, I see it as smart management. I need 0 points to win, but I can't leave a roster spot open. Why wouldn't I be able to put whomever I want in my SF spot? Just happened to have another Jet to do it with. We don't have an in-season prize for season points total, so the extra points are irrelevant. But the negative points could be highly relevant .

Your thoughts:

Honest opinion.

Cheap move.

Not to say it's not the smart move. I just wouldn't do it unless it was a life or death type situation.

From an old Random Shots. https://www.footballguys.com/article/2017bryant_random13
(Story about Eli Manning)

Eli Manning is no comparison to Ted Williams but this made me think of one of my favorite sports stories. And one I tell here often.

History lesson time. Heading into the last day, a doubleheader, of the 1941 season, 23-year-old Ted Williams' batting average was .39955. He could have sat out the meaningless last two games of the last day and his average would have rounded to the hallowed .400 mark.

From the sabr.org article: "In his autobiography, My Turn At Bat, Williams recalls Joe Cronin telling him, 'You don’t have to be put in if you don’t want to. You’re officially .400.' Ted reports his reaction: 'Well, God, that hit me like a lightning bolt! What do you mean I don’t have to play today?'"

But you probably know the story. Williams put his .400 mark at risk and played. Both games. And went 6 for 8, finishing the year at .406.

That's rad.

How that applies to you and me is simple. I feel pretty safe in saying we're not going to hit .400 in the majors. But we all get to walk to the plate every day and take some swings. Take yours.

It was a bad BYE week for us both. I'm currently the 3-seed, and top scorer in that league, and had Zach Wilson yet to play (Fields is out, ARich on IR, yeah, don't judge)

Your thoughts:

Honest opinion.

Cheap move. Actually super cheap move.

Not to say it's not the smart move. I just wouldn't do it unless it was a life or death type situation.

I'm honestly shocked to read this, and tbh I don't understand this thinking AT ALL. Since when is smart roster/lineup management not cool??? :thumbdown:

Nothing wrong with it. I have a couple of numbskulls in my league that "make up" rules based on what they think is fair and then expect other people to abide by them, so annoying.
Like I had one guy complain I put a guy on Yahoo IR right before the Thursday game as he was "out". He said he isn't on "IR", I said so what, Yahoo allows "out/IR/PUP" players in IR, reply was "that isn't right!" smh.

Your thoughts:

Honest opinion.

Cheap move.

Huh? Why do you think you have to play a QB in a flex position just because it’s a SF league?

Your thoughts:

Honest opinion.

Cheap move.

Huh? Why do you think you have to play a QB in a flex position just because it’s a SF league?

For the same reason Ted Williams didn't quit early and take the win without playing as I wrote above.

Your thoughts:

Honest opinion.

Cheap move.

Can you be more specific?

Your thoughts:

Honest opinion.

Cheap move.

For the same reason Ted Williams didn't quit early and take the win without playing as I wrote above.
He’s not quitting, he’s trying to optimize his score for the week.

Your thoughts:

Honest opinion.

Cheap move.

By not playing. That's even worse than quitting. ;)

From an old Random Shots. https://www.footballguys.com/article/2017bryant_random13

Eli Manning is no comparison to Ted Williams but this made me think of one of my favorite sports stories. And one I tell here often.

History lesson time. Heading into the last day, a doubleheader, of the 1941 season, 23-year-old Ted Williams' batting average was .39955. He could have sat out the meaningless last two games of the last day and his average would have rounded to the hallowed .400 mark.

From the sabr.org article: "In his autobiography, My Turn At Bat, Williams recalls Joe Cronin telling him, 'You don’t have to be put in if you don’t want to. You’re officially .400.' Ted reports his reaction: 'Well, God, that hit me like a lightning bolt! What do you mean I don’t have to play today?'"

But you probably know the story. Williams put his .400 mark at risk and played. Both games. And went 6 for 8, finishing the year at .406.

That's rad.

How that applies to you and me is simple. I feel pretty safe in saying we're not going to hit .400 in the majors. But we all get to walk to the plate every day and take some swings. Take yours.
I know the Splendid Splinter story well. I don't see how it is analogous to my situation.

Teddy Ballgame wasn't putting his team at a risk of a loss if he went out there and went 0-4. It was chasing personal glory.

I'm trying to win a game.

Your thoughts:

Honest opinion.

Cheap move. Actually super cheap move.

I'm honestly shocked to read this, and tbh I don't understand this thinking AT ALL. Since when is smart roster/lineup management not cool??? :thumbdown:

Say you have two players going Monday night that you could play in the flex. You have player #1 in but decide player #2 has a better chance to score a TD and put him in instead before the game. You likely need the extra points to win. How is this different than the above?? HSG is choosing a player he thinks will score more. What on earth is wrong with that???

Your thoughts:

Honest opinion.

Cheap move.

But I am playing. I put Conklin in my SF spot. I am actually, literally, playing my team this week.

Am I playing my potentially highest scoring team? No. But since I've already technically won, why on Earth would it be considered poor form?

FF is a game....roster management and using the rules to your advantage is part of the strategy.....you are doing what you need to do to win....which is the point of playing the game...you could argue that it would be more irresponsible and detrimental to the competitive balance of the league if you DIDN'T make this move....

Your thoughts:

Honest opinion.

Cheap move.

How is he not playing? He is filling the roster spot?

Your thoughts:

Honest opinion.

Cheap move.

You didn’t answer my question. Why should you have to start a QB at the flex position just because it’s a SF league? I thought flex was for QB, RB, WR, or TE?

Your thoughts:

Honest opinion.

Cheap move.

Is it possible @Joe Bryant didn't understand that this was my superflex spot and not my QB spot? I thought I was clear, but it is certainly possible I was not.

Your thoughts:

Honest opinion.

Cheap move.

But these things are not the same. Like, AT ALL.

What did Ted Williams do in July of that season when the team was already winning and he could use a day off? THAT'S a story that would be comparable.

HSG is choosing a player he thinks will score more. What on earth is wrong with that???
Well, to be fair I'm starting a player I kind of expect to score less. But that player has virtually zero chance of scoring negative.

Either way, I am *technically speaking* playing the lineup that I believe has the greatest chance for me to win.

Fascinating discussion.

Your thoughts:

Honest opinion.

Cheap move.

So would it be a cheap move to take out a high floor guy for a high ceiling guy if he was down by 20 pts going into the MNF game? There are many times that you make roster changes based on more informaiton. Like you get a big lead in a Thursday night outing so you change out high risk (boom/bust guys) for higher floor guys in the Sunday matchup.

I could understand saying it's a cheap move if he took Wilson out and didn't put anybody in. I would still think its the right move (rules permitting) and not cheap at all (there is some risk especially if there is IDP because Thursday scoring changes can swing 5-10 pts depending on scoring rules) but at least understand the cheap side of the coin.

But in this case he is just managing his lineup based on information he has. The same as putting in someone else because he is down big.

HSG is choosing a player he thinks will score more. What on earth is wrong with that???
Well, to be fair I'm starting a player I kind of expect to score less. But that player has virtually zero chance of scoring negative.

Either way, I am *technically speaking* playing the lineup that I believe has the greatest chance for me to win.

Fascinating discussion.
For the sake of discussion, if the goal is not to get a negative, then how is this any different than leaving the spot open?

I personally don’t care either way, just thinking through the logic.

That's rad.

I know the Splendid Splinter story well. I don't see how it is analogous to my situation.

Teddy Ballgame wasn't putting his team at a risk of a loss if he went out there and went 0-4. It was chasing personal glory.

I'm trying to win a game.

If you know the story than you know. It's no worries. I don't expect people to agree. It's an old school way to see the world that's not very common these days. Fully get it.

But you asked for opinions.

Your thoughts:

Honest opinion.

Cheap move.

How is this any different to seeing that you have had a bad 1pm slate of games and switching from a higher floor but lower ceiling player to a more volatile option to chase upside before the 4pm games start?

I could understand saying it's a cheap move if he took Wilson out and didn't put anybody in. I would still think its the right move (rules permitting) and not cheap at all (there is some risk especially if there is IDP because Thursday scoring changes can swing 5-10 pts depending on scoring rules) but at least understand the cheap side of the coin.
Exactly. It's not IDP, just straight start 10, 1 SF, TE required. min 2 RB 2 WR.

If the rules allowed me to bench ZW and leave the position empty I wouldn't have any qualms about doing that either. Team management means creating the lineup that will help you win a week.

If I was down 5.1 I would certainly start Zach Wilson over Conklin, because that would give me the best shot at a victory. The goal is to win the week. We don't get style points in this league.
;)

Your thoughts:

Honest opinion.

Cheap move.

Is it possible @Joe Bryant didn't understand that this was my superflex spot and not my QB spot? I thought I was clear, but it is certainly possible I was not.

Totally understood. It's a roster spot.

Were you only looking for people that agreed with you? ;)

If you know the story than you know. It's no worries. I don't expect people to agree. It's an old school way to see the world that's not very common these days. Fully get it.

But you asked for opinions.
oh fore sure. And tbh I'm glad you have this take because it makes the discussion so much more interesting. To say you're in the minority is an understatement - you're on an island. lol

I actually agree with Teddy Ballgame's perspective, and subscribe to that old school mentality. I just think it's not in any way comparable to my situation in this topic In fact, I'm 100% certain that Ted Williams would have done my move to win a week.

I have witnessed somebody LOSING after being ahead MNF with their QB laying a TO day. Being up and having the starting lineup flexibility is your control, not cheap or lame. Simple roster and game management to control the outcome in your favor like all of us are trying to do.

You can set your legal lineup however you like (agree that the lineup slot should not be empty but IMO league rules should not allow this) - particularly if trying to win. Ridiculous for your opponent to say anything.

You can set your legal lineup however you like (agree that the lineup slot should not be empty but IMO league rules should not allow this) - particularly if trying to win. Ridiculous for your opponent to say anything.
Again, to be fair, my opponent hasn't said anything. It's another person in the league. Personally I think he's just busting my chops.

And to be fair, part of it's giving the OP a hard time. Mostly because the Williams story is one of my favorite sports/life stories ever.

As a bonus, the threads posed as questions when they're not really questions are always interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread