What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chess Tournament!- Round 5 in progress (1 Viewer)

@AAABatteries- sorry but you need to make moves a little faster. (3 moves Friday, 2 on Saturday.) Hopefully everything is OK with you? Sorry but otherwise it’s not fair to the other folks in the tournament. 
The key to these tournaments working is that everybody needs to be willing to move pretty briskly. Taking long breaks is fine but a full day break probably isn’t. 

@AAABatteries- sorry but you need to make moves a little faster. (3 moves Friday, 2 on Saturday.) Hopefully everything is OK with you? Sorry but otherwise it’s not fair to the other folks in the tournament. 
The key to these tournaments working is that everybody needs to be willing to move pretty briskly. Taking long breaks is fine but a full day break probably isn’t. 
sorry - as mentioned, was at the beach this week.  Home today so I can move quickly 

Bostonfred and I underway. I assume we both were a bit tied up yesterday so just a few moves in. I just had my day free up pretty nicely so I should be good to play quickly this week. 

Serious question - how can I get better at chess?  I basically suck  :lol:  

Is there any computer software that teaches you how to play various openings?

It was over a while ago.  I went too fast on a couple moves and you saw through everything I tried to get back into it.  Well played.
Thanks. I was a little surprised by your opening (playing d6 instead of a6 against my Ruy) because I think it allowed me to grab the pawn advantage that just carried to the end. 

Super clean game after that though and no blunders at all that I can remember. I had to think pretty hard to figure out how to refute some of your moves this morning, and I debated for awhile whether to take your rook after you blocked my check. And that pawn puzzle there at the end took some thought. 

Fun first game. 

Steeler said:
Serious question - how can I get better at chess?  I basically suck  :lol:  

Is there any computer software that teaches you how to play various openings?
So during Covid I spent my time while eating lunch watching YouTube videos with a specific focus on openings. I really liked the ones by the following: 

1. Ben Feingold - slower but easily the most entertaining. He does a good "opening principles" video. 

2. John Barthlomew - definitely great for fundamentals. This video helped me immensely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao9iOeK_jvU

3. Gotham Chess (forget the guys name) - he's entertaining, loves the London system, and has various videos. He does a lot too where he teaches while he plays. 

4. Eric Rosen - Similar to Gotham Chess, usually just teaches as he plays but he's somehow entertaining. 

5. Krishna Prem - he does a really nice job explaining specific openings and the defenses against them. 

I’m white, black’s move. Draw unless he does something stupid?
I think so. Unfortunately his pawns are on the light-colored squares so I don't see any way to fork a check if he's smart. Especially if it's his turn. 

However, if his next move is stupid (say like queen to a5), put your queen on g5 - which forks all his pieces - and he basically has to trade queens. You taking with the king leaves your pawn alone and, while I think he still beats you to your lone pawn and it's a draw, he may blunder so it could be worth a shot. 

Assuming he's a halfway decent player though this should draw.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think so. Unfortunately his pawns are on the light-colored squares so I don't see any way to fork a check if he's smart. Especially if it's his turn. 

However, if his next move is stupid (say like queen to a5), put your queen on g5 - which forks all his pieces - and he basically has to trade queens. You taking with the king leaves your pawn alone and, while I think he still beats you to your lone pawn and it's a draw, he may blunder so it could be worth a shot. 

Assuming he's a halfway decent player though this should draw.
Yes, I had the same thoughts. I thought it was a simple but interesting position.

Yes, I had the same thoughts. I thought it was a simple but interesting position.
Trying to figure out his best move. If he go e7 then I think you just execute the same plan on block with your queen forcing the trade. I called a5 stupid but he really doesn't have many options and he should play for the draw. A5 may be one of his lone okay moves frankly.

Trying to figure out his best move. If he go e7 then I think you just execute the same plan on block with your queen forcing the trade. I called a5 stupid but he really doesn't have many options and he should play for the draw. A5 may be one of his lone okay moves frankly.
He just played king to g6 which was what I would have done.

Users who are viewing this thread